Jets interviewing GM finalists again, to make hire by Thursday

Maxman

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If not Idzik..who would you prefer?

Whether it's Sundquist, Cohen, Gamble, Idziik, Kahn, etc doesn't matter at this point.

They need to start hiring coaches, building a scouting team, figuring out who to draft, watch, etc.

It's nice to take as long as you want, but at some point it's better to start building for next season and beyond instead of just looking for a GM from a bunch of names most others forgot about, don't know, or declined.

it totally matters who is in change of that.

That's what I'm saying. The only person who has any experience as a GM on that list, is probably the guy most would consider forgotten or a retread. What's Idziik really been doing with Seattle? What has Kahn or Cohen or even Gamble been doing ?

My point is they've interviewed these people, they've done the research, they know what one would cost compared to the others, and now it's about a decision. Make the decision, move on, and have that GM start hiring the staff, the scouts, etc.

We don't know if one is better than the other....make the decision and start building for the future.

Too bad petine didn't wait a week or two to quit,..manish's sources would've outed the decision by now.

All kidding aside, isn't that pretty revealing? We cut ties with a lot of guys and all of a sudden this process has no leaks or anything substantial. Hopefully its a sign of a new trend.

On Wednesday, the Jets conducted a second interview with Seahawks executive John Idzik. They did the same Tuesday with Steelers exec Omar Khan. Unless owner Woody Johnson is prepared to throw a curve ball -- Ted Sundquist, anyone? -- it appears that Idzik and Khan are the frontrunners. Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen is considered the long shot.

A GM could be hired as soon as Thursday. My money is on Idzik. He has more NFL experience than Khan. Unlike Khan, Idzik has dabbled in personnel -- although not a whole lot. And he also happens to be friendly with team president Neil Glat. He and Glat, formerly of the NFL office, have communicated in the past on league-related projects.

You'd think the Jets would want to have their GM in place by Monday, when the NFL scouting and coaching communities descend upon Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl week. But, as far as the Jets are concerned, that's an artificial deadline. Meanwhile, frustration is building among some candidates. They feel like the Jets are stringing them along, keeping them in the dark as the search heads toward the three-week mark.

Per Cimini

What is Cimini's gripe?

Really? Most of us probably had to wait weeks to land a job with a 5 figure salary. We're talking about guys with potential 6/7 figure salaries, you really think it's ridiculous to make them wait for three weeks? Cimini is just inventing this crap.

And how the **** would you not keep a candidate in the dark during an interview process? Do these guys want hour-by-hour twitter updates on their likelihood to get the job? Whatever.

Meanwhile, frustration is building among some candidates. They feel like the Jets are stringing them along, keeping them in the dark as the search heads toward the three-week mark.

Per Cimini

What are they frustrated about? I thought none of them wanted the job, anyway.

What are they frustrated about? I thought none of them wanted the job, anyway.

Cimini hasn't had anything to bash lately. If he's not incendiary he has little value to add to a conversation. I never bought that none of them wanted the job. I also don't think any professional gets upset when a process like this takes two weeks.

anyone else enjoying the fact that the media is struggling to determine what Woody's thinking? I mean we went from a loose ship to a tight one in relatively short order. I'm liking this is taking a while...and hopeful that Woody will empower whomever he hires to clean house in the front office...might not happen right away...but in the long run...should produce better outcomes.

Sundquist's drafts don't exactly jump off the page at me.

Ted Sundquist says:

What’s the plan?

NYJ-QBs-300x224.jpgFor either young player to thrive this season it will be important that the Jets be upfront and communicate with both exactly what their role will be. To trade for a 46.5% QB with an 8-8 record and ask him to push a 56.7% incumbent with an 8-8 record, that doesn’t make much football sense.

Square pegs + round holes = don’t fit.

But if the Jets are looking to maximize the inherent qualities of both players to strengthen their 13th rated offense in 2011, it’s never too early to clue both players in on that “developmental plan”. Otherwise NYJ will likely enter 2012 with two “head cases” under center.

http://tedsundquist38.com/2012/03/26/note-to-ny-jets-never-too-early-for-a-sancheztebow-plan/

Archived