New Franchise RB Needed

Jets2013

Since we will clearly be rebuilding and Shonn Greene is halfway out the door, who are we going to look to at RB? I like Bilal Powell and McKnight shows flashes but I think we need to bring in a talent who could possibly become an All Pro feature back for us. Originally I wasn't crazy about this year's crop of RBs but after looking more closely I see a lot of potential in a few of them. I say we spend our 2nd round pick on a RB over a QB and wait for a home run QB next year since the $ and the tattoo signal to us that we are kinda stuck with him for now.

#1 Eddie Lacy could end up being the best NFL RB Alabama has churned out in recent memory (yes including Ingram and Richardson) so if he can fall to us early in 2nd we should take a look.

#2 Jawan Jamison...I really like the combo of speed and power here in Rutgers Jamison...reminds me of Ray Rice and Doug Martin...maybe a bit smaller than those two but still has feature back potential.

#3 Montee Ball has a nose for the end zone and has done nothing but perform brilliantly his whole college career. Since he didn't leave school and declare last year (which he should have) after losing key players around him including Russell Wilson he still had over 20 TDs and a very productive season. Could be a potential feature back and also a value pick 3rd round or even later.

What are your thoughts

there's actually about 5 really good RB in the senior bowl next week. Johnathan Franklin UCLA could be a beast in the league, one of the last true 3 down backs. Gillislee had a great year. Ellington and Rouse are gamebreakers and Stephan Taylor pretty good too.

senior Bowl RB's as of 1/16

RUNNING BACKS

KENJON BARNER - OREGON

JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN - UCLA

MIKE GILLISLEE - FLORIDA

TOMMY BOHANON - WAKE FOREST

ANDRE ELLINGTON - CLEMSON

STEPFAN TAYLOR - STANFORD

KYLE JUSZCZYK- HARVARD

ROBBIE ROUSE - FRESNO STATE

So we should draft a running back in the second round because Rex Ryan has a tattoo? Am I reading this correctly? Did you eat paint chips as a child?

There are far more pressing needs than a franchise running back, which there doesn't seem to be one in this draft. I'm all for taking a running back later on in the 5th or 6th, where plenty of decent RBs will still be and addressing more pressing needs, like everything else.

Jets OL was 5th in PFF rankings for 2012. how about a quarterback that is functional

Guess you missed the part I said about QB. oh thats right. you clipped it when you quoted me. nice.

The OL stunk. I dont care what the f3eking numbers said. They failed so many times in key situations. But keep living the fantasy we have a good line.

Shonn Greene might find FA to be not too inviting, and could be back inexpensively. I like him as a late game pounder, just not as a feature back.

I agree the Jets need an upgrade at RB. The position is a committee job nowadays, so I wouldn't need a three-down guy. I want a guy with breakaway speed and the ability to catch a pass fluidly.

As for the draft: BAP all the way!

If a RB is the BAP in the second round, take him. If a RB doesn't float to the top of the draft board until the sixth, wait 'til the sixth.

we aren't taking a RB in the 1st. i see the jets re-signing greene if he doesn't get serious nibbles in FA and picking up a change of pace late. i'd be happy with a dexter mccluster type who gives us some speed out of the backfield and something in the return game. i doubt very much we're going to get a bell cow this offseason

we aren't taking a RB in the 1st. i see the jets re-signing greene if he doesn't get serious nibbles in FA and picking up a change of pace late. i'd be happy with a dexter mccluster type who gives us some speed out of the backfield and something in the return game. i doubt very much we're going to get a bell cow this offseason

I don't. I see the Jets having Powell (who is better than Greene) being the feature back and signing someone like Justin Forsett who can be the change of pace guy and catch the ball out of the backfield. That's what I would do.

I don't. I see the Jets having Powell (who is better than Greene) being the feature back and signing someone like Justin Forsett who can be the change of pace guy and catch the ball out of the backfield. That's what I would do.

looks like we're agreeing on a strategy but disagreeing on the personnel. your plan sounds good also

Since we will clearly be rebuilding and Shonn Greene is halfway out the door, who are we going to look to at RB? I like Bilal Powell and McKnight shows flashes but I think we need to bring in a talent who could possibly become an All Pro feature back for us. Originally I wasn't crazy about this year's crop of RBs but after looking more closely I see a lot of potential in a few of them. I say we spend our 2nd round pick on a RB over a QB and wait for a home run QB next year since the $ and the tattoo signal to us that we are kinda stuck with him for now.

#1 Eddie Lacy could end up being the best NFL RB Alabama has churned out in recent memory (yes including Ingram and Richardson) so if he can fall to us early in 2nd we should take a look.

#2 Jawan Jamison...I really like the combo of speed and power here in Rutgers Jamison...reminds me of Ray Rice and Doug Martin...maybe a bit smaller than those two but still has feature back potential.

#3 Montee Ball has a nose for the end zone and has done nothing but perform brilliantly his whole college career. Since he didn't leave school and declare last year (which he should have) after losing key players around him including Russell Wilson he still had over 20 TDs and a very productive season. Could be a potential feature back and also a value pick 3rd round or even later.

What are your thoughts

Richardson >>>>>>> Lacy and its not close.

Otherwise, yes, a RB is needed but taking one before the 3rd round would be stupid.

Lulz - like this is a surprise. Redman is elusive? Interesting, he looks like a plodder when he runs too.

Over half of Greene's yards this year were after contact though. I found that interesting.

Redman in limited carried actually did make a lot of people miss...especially in that Giants game.

Never undterstood why Dwyer got carries over him....he's a plodder.

there's actually about 5 really good RB in the senior bowl next week. Johnathan Franklin UCLA could be a beast in the league, one of the last true 3 down backs. Gillislee had a great year. Ellington and Rouse are gamebreakers and Stephan Taylor pretty good too.

senior Bowl RB's as of 1/16

RUNNING BACKS

KENJON BARNER - OREGON

JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN - UCLA

MIKE GILLISLEE - FLORIDA

TOMMY BOHANON - WAKE FOREST

ANDRE ELLINGTON - CLEMSON

STEPFAN TAYLOR - STANFORD

KYLE JUSZCZYK- HARVARD

ROBBIE ROUSE - FRESNO STATE

I like Taylor too

How many franchise RBs are there? The league is going in a different direction. Plus, if you do have a franchise RB, having a pedestrian OL in front of him limits his abilities.

Its not about being a franchise back...its the ability to be versatile...Greene provided no threat of catching a pass out of the backfield or making a defender miss....you cant run a predictable offense anymore with the amount of speed these defenses have.

Niners, Ravens, Pats, Falcons all have multiple guys who can both pound through the LOS and take a swing pass the distance..

Redman in limited carried actually did make a lot of people miss...especially in that Giants game.

Never undterstood why Dwyer got carries over him....he's a plodder.

I was getting the two confused. Redman does have some wiggle but shocked to see him at the top of the most elusive list.

A bad QB makes everyone look bad. Give the Jets a decent QB the line would look great.

I dont disagree....but the organization does. Spoke to somebody this week who knows a front office person and they think Sanchez didn't have the pieces around him that he needs to be successful. Sad but true :-/ I think things get worse before they get better unfortunately

Burning even a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft is a luxury-pick. The Jets have far too many holes that need filing to even think about it.

a decent wide receiver is needed before even thinking about a running back...

Disagree. They have Powell and McKnight under contract. Compared to Kerley, Holmes and Hill that is an empty spot. As with every position I would sign low level FAs and then pick BAP, but if the BAP is a RB they should certainly take one. RB is a huge hole on this team. Most people felt that way when Greene was here and he is by far the closest thing to a legit starter on the team.

Archived