ESPN reporting Chip kelly as new HC for Eagles

faba

http://www.sbnation....oregon-football

Chip Kelly will be the next coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. This comes less than two weeks after Kelly turned down the Eagles to remain at Oregon.

Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.
— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport)
January 16, 2013

This also comes just after the Eagles' pursuit of BCS National Championship participant Brian Kelly ran cold and nothing else of note presented itself. The Bears are out here hiring CFL coaches. Desperate times call for making one last run at the one that got away, perhaps?

The hang-up between Philly and Chip Kelly was believed to be roster control, as it was a year ago with the Buccaneers. A college coach is used to having complete control over his own roster, while NFL franchises aren't set up quite the same way. If that's the thing that's changed, then there you go.

Kelly interviewed with the Eagles, Browns, and Buffalo Bills several times in the days following Oregon's 35-17 win over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl.

In four seasons in charge in Eugene, Kelly guided the Ducks to a 46-7 record, three Pac 10/12 titles, and four BCS bowl appearances. Known for his innovative, high-tempo spread offense, Kelly has been rumored to be headed to the NFL for some time now. He reportedly came close to accepting the head coaching position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers one year ago, but backed out and returned for another year at Oregon.

Kelly replaces the departed Andy Reid, who was fired after 14 years in Philadelphia.

Chip interviewed once, decided to return to college...then changed his mind and took the job in Philly = No big deal.

[insert new GMs name here] interviewed once, asked for his name to be taken out of consideration...then changed his mind and took the job in New York = Headline news for two weeks!!

Wow. Surprising. Didn't think he'd leave college. Curious to see how his offense translates to the NFL.

It is already there in some form.

Belichcik has conversed with Kelly over the offseason when he was the OC at UNH.

I am pretty sure others have as well.

The question is can Coples run it or do they go back to Vick.

I never understood why teams hire college HC's as NFL HC's without the coach at least running a pro style offense (from what I've read about Chip Kelly's version of the spread, it's not).

The Harbaughs obviously have been hugely successful after running their pro-style offenses in college, but for the rest, it seems to me that college coaches should have to serve their time as a coordinator in the NFL before making that jump, or you'll end up with a guy who is only successful on his SECOND go-round, if at all.

Philly making this move is extremely risky. He's never coached in the NFL at any level. There may well be higher upside than Andy Reid, but the downside is way worse than Reid.

Most of these HC hirings are really making me glad we'll have Rex, a guy who for all his faults has been a successful coordinator and won some games as a HC in this league.

Chip interviewed once, decided to return to college...then changed his mind and took the job in Philly = No big deal.

[insert new GMs name here] interviewed once, asked for his name to be taken out of consideration...then changed his mind and took the job in New York = Headline news for two weeks!!

The GM's who took their name out of the running might also be looking for roster control

I would not be opposed to taking a look at Foles, the kid has some skills and will probably be made available. That having been said, he'll probably cost a second and if any of the predictions remain true, we could go the first round without seeing a quarterback taken, so we could have a shot at a Glennon with the same pick we'd give up for Foles.

The GM's who took their name out of the running might also be looking for roster control

Not a bad theory. My guess is that during the interview there was some major posturing (maybe length of contract, size of contract, coaching plan, player plan, etc). Woody ultimately had to sleep on it, and evaluate his diminishing options... then he made the infamous call-backs from last week.

I still think it's a Tom Gamble smokescreen.

lol I love the reaction to this.

When the Eagles call back Chip Kelly and beg him to be their coach, it's perseverance. When the Jets call back a candidate and ask them to reconsider, it's desperate.

I hope the Jets just don't pick anyone awful. Even someone with a moderate upside would be better, than, say, Cohen (who was rumored to be out of it anyway, but whatever, who knows.)

NFL players don't get tired by the 3rd/4th quarter like Pac 10 kids

Yes they do, especially on defense. Who knows what kind of offense he'll be able to install at the NFL level but Football players usually don't have the greatest cardiovascular health. It'll be an interesting hire, one way or another.

NFL players don't get tired by the 3rd/4th quarter like Pac 10 kids do

I guess that's why we always hear announcers stating the "Defense" or "offensive Line" has run out of steam in the 4th quarter.

It really depends on how arrogant he is or isn't. College Coaches are gods if they win. And they dont' even have to win all the time. Win the conference a couple of times, even a bad or avg conference, and they are gods. They could do whatever they want. And they probably believe it.

The biggest issues with these college coaches from programs like LSU(Saban) or Florida(Spurrier) and so on is they have the best players and play against far inferior opponents. Even the great SEC has Alabama vs Vanderbilt and so on. And that's not even going down to the FAU or Central Florida State kind of games these teams have. When teams can win half their games 70-3, you don't have to coach. When your team has 10 great college players and the opposing team has 1, you get the point.

In the NFL, even the 0-16 Detroit Lions played close games. So college coaches become NFL coaches and are forced to coach for 4 quarters and 16 games. And they can't just bench or yell at players who make just as much, if not more than they do.

I guess that's why we always hear announcers stating the "Defense" or "offensive Line" has run out of steam in the 4th quarter.

It really depends on how arrogant he is or isn't. College Coaches are gods if they win. And they dont' even have to win all the time. Win the conference a couple of times, even a bad or avg conference, and they are gods. They could do whatever they want. And they probably believe it.

The biggest issues with these college coaches from programs like LSU(Saban) or Florida(Spurrier) and so on is they have the best players and play against far inferior opponents. Even the great SEC has Alabama vs Vanderbilt and so on. And that's not even going down to the FAU or Central Florida State kind of games these teams have. When teams can win half their games 70-3, you don't have to coach. When your team has 10 great college players and the opposing team has 1, you get the point.

In the NFL, even the 0-16 Detroit Lions played close games. So college coaches become NFL coaches and are forced to coach for 4 quarters and 16 games. And they can't just bench or yell at players who make just as much, if not more than they do.

this is true, Bob Stoops has one championship from like 50 years ago and he has great job security for always having good teams since despite no titles

Archived