John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following up on a JetNation report, New York Jets have a new general manager.  Former Seattle Seahawks vice president of administration John Idzik will be the Jets new GM:

According to the Seahawks media guide Idzik had been with the club since 2007 and had a myriad of contract and player personnel responsibilities:

Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations.

Idzik’s candidacy was not only helped by the Seahawks making the playoffs this season but the team is considered to be comprised of young talented players.  The new GM has some family roots with the Jets as Idzik’s father, John also, was an assistant coach for the Jets from 1977-79.

The incoming general manager will have to deal with many pressing issues facing the club from what to do with quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, to tight finances and overall talent evaluations.   Idzik needs to get right to work with the Senior Bowl, which showcases premier players entering the draft, just around the corner.

New York Jets fans are sounding off on this move in the

While I have a hard timne buying the image as Rex, it's a necessary image to contract with our new SUPER DISCIPLINED organization.

I don't mind this nonsense and show so long as they can win, whoever is doing what.

I'm interested to see what he does to the FO (who he adds will be way more interesting than the subtractions we're probably supposed to be drooling for) and then obviously the coaching staff and roster.

Why is this any different that Tannenbaum?

He's a business guy, not a football guy.

I'll keep an open mind. And really they aren't winning anything in 2013. Clean house, dump crappy contracts, draft and sign some young talent. especially QB and all LB slots. And explore on the sly who will be available/willing to be your coach in 2014.

But I will not keep an open mind if the big idea is to let Wrecks Ryan keep running the show. Don't know. Welll see.

That was my first thought.

Basically what we learned here today is that Rex has more power (if not all the power now) in the organization which scares the hell out of me as a Jets fan.

That's a complete media-driven myth. He came up through the ranks doing pro personnel work and was involved with the personnel side during his stint in Seattle as well. Granted, he's not a scout (which I was kind of hoping for) and also did cap/contract work for Seattle, but there's a major difference between that and someone who's done nothing but that throughout their entire NFL career. He wasn't exactly my top choice either, but the comparison to Tanny is pretty unfounded and only done in an attempt to perpetuate more Jets-related hysteria. Hopefully it works out, but if it doesn't it's not because he's Tanny 2.0.

If you look at his bio -he is far from just a business person-

Exactly. Again, like I said, it's nothing but more media-driven hysteria. Some seem to already be buying into it.

I can certainly get people not liking the hire, but acting like he has no football background and then jumping to other unfounded conclusions based on that is a tad ridiculous.

Exactly. Again, like I said, it's nothing but more media-driven hysteria. Some seem to already be buying into it.

I can certainly get people not liking the hire, but acting like he has no football background and then jumping to other unfounded conclusions based on that is a tad ridiculous.

True we all have to wait and see but some people want to misrepresent his background

Tannenbaum's major problem was his arrogance. He convinced himself he was finally one of the cool kids, and he ran the franchise that way, with a false confidence that got him trampled by every coach, opposing GM, and agent that crossed his path. Hopefully Idzik is smart enough to realize that bringing in experienced hands to help him run the team doesn't make him look weak.

Archived