All Brady does is throw 5 yard passes

Matt39

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, when the Pats are on, they're just as exciting as any team in the NFL. The averaged 34pts a game bro...thats pretty damn exciting Football.

And again, ofcourse he was only throwing long to Moss that season. He's literally the only player he's ever played with that can get open deep. That's my point. The Pats with Brady have never had a deep threat outside of Moss. Thats why they are beatable. Moss completely changed the way you defend them and its why they were the best offense ever together and were a miracle play away from being undefeated.

Gronk in yesterdays game + talib staying healthy and the Pats win.... Pats might of won had Talib stayed healthy. ONce he went down, the horrible Pats pass defense was back and there was no stopping flacco

And this nonsense about Brady not being able to throwi deep is silly

His deep ball was the best in the biz with Moss even in cold windy weather. The broke records bro and Moss isnt a short passing WR. He doesnt have a WR like that anymore. That the difference.

Ravens always match up well. Their strengths take advantage of Brady's few weaknesses.

Best deep threat in the game? Says who?

Im talking more about the chunk yardage plays in the 15-25 yard range downt he field. Brady has never been strong in that category. Even during the 2007 season.

He was throwing bombs to Moss....a lot of guys have had success doing that.

Look at his air yards that year. They were ridiculous.

The 2006 Patriots, with Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Ben Watson, a 35-year old Troy Brown, and Kevin Faulk had a higher rate of passes more than 20 yards down the field than the 2007 Patriots did with Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth.

“But how could that be? The 2006 Patriots had a terrible receiving corps. Randy Moss caught a record 23 touchdowns in 2007. That was a vertical offense! I saw Brady’s deep balls!”

No, you saw highlights. Specifically, you saw Brady throw 15 touchdown passes that year on passes of 20+ yards. In 2006 he had only 7. Throw in the Moss factor and the opportunity for the spectacular catch, and it’s likely you saw a lot more of these plays than you would have the previous year.

• 2006: Brady was 23/63 for 735 yards, 7 TD, 5 INT on passes thrown 20+ yards.
  • 2007: Brady was 28/69 for 1,112 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT on passes thrown 20+ yards.
  • 2009: Brady was 16/60 for 701 yards, 9 TD, 6 INT on passes thrown 20+ yards.
  • 2010: Brady was 14/36 for 537 yards, 6 TD, 2 INT on passes thrown 20+ yards.
  • 2011: Brady was 13/45 for 474 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT on passes thrown 20+ yards.

By comparison, Eli Manning led the league with 96 attempts of 20+ yards this season, completing 35 of those passes.

Gronk in yesterdays game + talib staying healthy and the Pats win.... Pats might of won had Talib stayed healthy. ONce he went down, the horrible Pats pass defense was back and there was no stopping flacco

And this nonsense about Brady not being able to throwi deep is silly

Agreed. That and the hit to Ridley. It was like it sucked the life out of them.

Im talking more about the chunk yardage plays in the 15-25 yard range downt he field. Brady has never been strong in that category. Even during the 2007 season.

He was throwing bombs to Moss....a lot of guys have had success doing that.

I dont think you're remembering that combo or offense well. Every single WR on the team averaged more than 10ypc that season. Moss averaged 15+ ypc with Brady and had high receptions numbers which means he wasnt throwing nothing but bombs. Moss also led the league in 3rd down receptions that year too, if I'm not mistaken. Brady led the league in YPA that year. The difference? He had Moss and Stallworth that took the top's of D's.

Brady has every throw in the book. He just hasnt had a receiver like for but a couple of seasons.

I dont think you're remembering that combo or offense well. Every single WR on the team averaged more than 10ypc that season. Moss averaged 15+ ypc with Brady and had high receptions numbers which means he wasnt throwing nothing but bombs. Moss also led the league in 3rd down receptions that year too, if I'm not mistaken. Brady led the league in YPA that year. The difference? He had Moss and Stallworth that took the top's of D's.

Brady has every throw in the book. He just hasnt had a receiver like for but a couple of seasons.

That article disproves what youre saying though.

Best deep threat in the game? Says who?

He had 1,448 yards on 77 catches (18.8 ypc) and 11 TD's in 2010. Again, with Kyle Orton as his QB.

Only Desean Jackson (22.5 ypc) and Mike Wallace (21.0) were better on deep throws that season, and both those guys had significantly better QB play. He was well ahead of guys like Calvin Johnson (14.4) and Hakeem Nicks (13.3).

As Wombat said, maybe Lloyd simply got old. But when he came to the Patriots he came advertised as a guy capable of taking the top off of defenses. I don't think he lost that ability that quickly, because even if he lost a step, Lloyd has always been the guy who makes the circus catch, which doesn't always require you burning the CB.

I think Brady really has lost his touch on deep throws and thus didn't use him effectively. No chance Brady signs off on bringing him in if he just plain didn't plan to use him as anything more than a decoy.

It always amazes me the lengths jets fans go to knock brady.. It's amusing really.. We've never had a QB half as good as this guy, but these dips talk about him like he's garbage.

He had 1,448 yards on 77 catches (18.8 ypc) and 11 TD's in 2010. Again, with Kyle Orton as his QB.

Only Desean Jackson (22.5 ypc) and Mike Wallace (21.0) were better on deep throws that season, and both those guys had significantly better QB play. He was well ahead of guys like Calvin Johnson (14.4) and Hakeem Nicks (13.3).

3 years in reciever time = a long time. Lloyd is not a burner

It always amazes me the lengths jets fans go to knock brady.. It's amusing really.. We've never had a QB half as good as this guy, but these dips talk about him like he's garbage.

Saying Brady isnt a great down the field passer isnt a knock. Its the truth. He's mastered that offense and it works and its a pain in the ass to stop because Brady knows where everyone is...they dink and dunk the hell out of you...chinese water torcher....just find the Ravens big play offense more exciting to watch,

But the Ravens know how to make him uncomfortable and force him to do stuff he hates...like make throws on the run.

3 years in reciever time = a long time. Lloyd is not a burner

That's the thing, he never really has had blazing speed. What he does is make ridiculous, acrobatic catches on deep balls even with a man on him. He's like a lighter Braylon Edwards without all the easy drops. You would think he would have been utilized more, especially with Josh McDaniels as OC, the same guy who was his coach in Denver in 2010.

That article disproves what youre saying though.

That article doesnt prove anything...

So he wasnt the best deep threat it the game. lulz.

Its just silly, thats all.

Saying Brady isnt a great down the field passer isnt a knock. Its the truth. He's mastered that offense and it works and its a pain in the ass to stop because Brady knows where everyone is...they dink and dunk the hell out of you...chinese water torcher....just find the Ravens big play offense more exciting to watch,

But the Ravens know how to make him uncomfortable and force him to do stuff he hates...like make throws on the run.

No. Its not. lmfao

So he wasnt the best deep threat it the game. lulz.

Mike Wallace had Big Ben, one of the best deep throwers in the game. Jackson had Vick playing at a ridiculously high level in that 2010 season. Lloyd had Kyle Orton. Imagine if Lloyd was paired with a better QB that year.

That's why so many fantasy "experts" were drooling at the potential of Lloyd when paired with Brady. It simply didn't happen.

many folks refer to the WCO as a hybrid Dink and Dunk Offense.

West Coast offense

"Popularized by late San Francisco 49ers innovator Bill Walsh, the high-percentage, short-passing, ball-control system produced five Super Bowl titles for the 49ers from 1981 to 1994. Have teams abandoned Walsh's baby, the short-pass, ball-control offense, used for decades, to heave the ball downfield for quick strikes or big chunks of yardage?"

Mike Wallace had Big Ben, one of the best deep throwers in the game. Jackson had Vick playing at a ridiculously high level in that 2010 season. Lloyd had Kyle Orton. Imagine if Lloyd was paired with a better QB that year.

That's why so many fantasy "experts" were drooling at the potential of Lloyd when paired with Brady. It simply didn't happen.

Cool story. He still wasnt the best deep threat in the game, like you said. Holy hell man, stats be damned. Did you really view Bradon Lloyd as the best deep threat in the game? lol

And he's 32. Do we need to repeat that?

What does it prove?

That Brady struggles to throw the ball down the field.

His playoff passing numbers are all accumulated through the short passing game. He has 26 playoff touchdown passes that were between 1-9 yards. The shortest average touchdown pass of any playoff QB ever.

Out of 65 qualified quarterbacks (min. 150 attempts), Brady’s 6.66 YPA ranks 40th, and his 10.59 YPC ranks 63rd all time.

Not the stuff of legends. Only Drew Bledsoe (10.35) and Steve McNair (9.59) rank lower in YPC than Brady, and those are two names you want no part of being in the same sentence as for the playoffs.

With the improvement in regular season stats since 2007, that just makes the decline in the playoffs that much larger.

Despite three offenses that scored over 500 points in a season, the Patriots have lost playoff rematches with the Giants (twice) and Jets, and scored just 14, 21 and 17 points in the process.

And now obviously the 13 points yesterday.

Ravens have a good defense that forced Brady to throw down the field. Jets were able to do that back in 2010. Giants did it twice...its isnt a coincidence thats Pats offense struggles when their short passing game isnt clicking.

Ravens have a good defense that forced Brady to throw down the field. Jets were able to do that back in 2010. Giants did it twice...its isnt a coincidence thats Pats offense struggles when their short passing game isnt clicking.

no sh*t lol....

One has nothing to do with the other though

Cool story. He still wasnt the best deep threat in the game, like you said. Holy hell man, stats be damned. Did you really view Bradon Lloyd as the best deep threat in the game? lol

That year yes. Did you watch any bit of the Broncos that year? All they did was throw it deep to Lloyd. That was the focal point of their entire offense.

Even if you want to say he was only the 5th best deep threat in the game, does that still not make him a deep threat the Patriots brought in? Or are you going to stand by saying Randy Moss was the only one Brady ever played with?

That Brady struggles to throw the ball down the field.

His playoff passing numbers are all accumulated through the short passing game. He has 26 playoff touchdown passes that were between 1-9 yards. The shortest average touchdown pass of any playoff QB ever.

And now obviously the 13 points yesterday.

Maybe I've lost track of what we're debating here. He's only had a deep threat for what, 2 seasons? In those seasons, he showed he could throw the long ball as good as anyone. Showing me stats about what he does with WRs that cant get open deep, which has been the overwhelming majority of his career does nothing for the conversation.

Brady is a short to intermediate passer because he has nobody to stretch the field. When he did, he showed, he's got every throw in the book. I dont really know why this is up for debate to be honest.

That year yes. Did you watch any bit of the Broncos that year? All they did was throw it deep to Lloyd. That was the focal point of their entire offense.

Even if you want to say he was only the 5th best deep threat in the game, does that still not make him a deep threat the Patriots brought in? Or are you going to stand by saying Randy Moss was the only one Brady ever played with?

First off, you said the best deep threat in the league. He wasnt. Secondly, OMG man, did you just compare Moss to Lloyd as a deep threat?

This debate is now over.

lmfao

Brady is a short to intermediate passer because he has nobody to stretch the field.

He's a short to intermediate thrower because that's what works for him. But currently we're seeing that a couple of deep throwers in Flacco and Kaepernick are headed to the Super Bowl. Eventually you need to launch it. If Lloyd isn't a deep threat guy and the problem is LACK of deep threat guys, the Patriots need to bring in one to keep defenses honest.

Otherwise, I think its fair to say Brady has lost his touch on the deep throws, and its hurt him when it comes to the postseason.

First off, you said the best deep threat in the league. He wasnt. Secondly, OMG man, did you just compare Moss to Lloyd as a deep threat?

This debate is now over.

lmfao

So now Brady has to have the absolute best deep threat of all-time or a guy is worthless? I stand by that the guy was the best deep threat in 2010 because you can't compare guys in a vacuum. He had an awful QB and put up huge numbers. But even if I acquiesce and say he was merely a top 5 deep threat, that doesn't prove you to be correct.

You said he's NEVER played with another deep threat. Lloyd absolutely is one. That's literally the only way Lloyd has ever been used; as a deep threat. If he sucks at it now, well too bad, but he was brought in for that purpose.

You are wrong.

Even so, the Moss season was 5 years and a knee surgery later....it is possible Brady just isnt as good as he once was passing the ball down the field?

I dont think Lloyd just suddenly fell off a cliff. He just doesnt fit the offense as well as Welker does.

I dont think Lloyd just suddenly fell off a cliff. He just doesnt fit the offense as well as Welker does.

But see even this doesn't make sense, because it was McDaniels' offense. McDaniels was running the show when Lloyd had his best season. They brought in Lloyd to make him an important part of their scheme.

This really only leaves one answer: Brady just doesn't have it on the deep throws anymore. Period. He's 35 so that had to happen eventually, so I don't see why its a complete shocker.

But see even this doesn't make sense, because it was McDaniels' offense. McDaniels was running the show when Lloyd had his best season. They brought in Lloyd to make him an important part of their scheme.

This really only leaves one answer: Brady just doesn't have it on the deep throws anymore. Period. He's 35 so that had to happen eventually, so I don't see why its a complete shocker.

I should have been clearer I guess. Its Brady's offense and his comfortable throws are the ones to Welker in the slot, the tight ends and the backs.

so Lloyd had 1 big season 3 years ago, and for the rest of his career has essentially been a below average receiver and certainly not a deep threat, and you are on here saying he's one of the top deep threatrs in the league?

GTFO with this BS..

Archived