Woody Johnson told GM applicant he didn’t want Tebow

The notion that Jets owner Woddy Johnson was driving the Tim Tebow train has become widely accepted, partly through the words that have fallen out of Johnson’s own mouth

But that’s not what Johnson told at least one of his general manager candidates, saying the unused backup quarterback was “forced” on him.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork, candidate Ted Sundquist said that during his interview with Johnson and team president Neil Glat, Johnson said acquiring Tebow wasn’t his idea.

Since it’s clear coach Rex Ryan didn’t want him, based on playing time, that leaves fired GM Mike Tannenbaum to blame. But Sundquist said Johnson told him he eventually “jumped on board,” with the idea.

“They realized it was divisive and hard on the locker room, and they wanted an exit strategy,” Sundquist said.

Well, they started the process by creating the job opening Sundquist applied for, bringing in Seattle’s John Izdik to be the next guy Johnson will blame for something that he seemed willing to take credit for before it was revealed to be foolish

Edited by F.Chowds

1st off I know no one believes this at all, 2nd I am SOOOO happy we did not hire Sundquist he has not shut up about the details of this process since he was not hired last week. The last thing we would need is a GM that would leak all kind of sh!t to the vultures like Cimini and his ilk

Edited by F.Chowds

Is it common that you leave an interview and run to discuss the interview with the press and sharing sensitive info like that? Feel like that might hurt your chances of getting another interview. I dunno.

• Upvote 2

1st off I know no one believes this at all, 2nd I am SOOOO happy we did not hire Sundquist he has not shut up about the details of this process since he was not hired last week. The last thing we would need is a GM that would leak all kind of sh!t to the vultures like Cimini and his ilk

agree, this guy hasnt shut up about what was said since he interviewed. The NFL Good Ole Boys Owners Club wont be thrilled with this. Good luck getting interviews in future Ted.

Great point. I'm sure this will help his career a lot . :roll:

yeah, tbh, I was thinking, who the **** is this guy to run his mouth? Props to Woody for no hiring the scumbag.

Look Mama, things are already starting to turn around!

Edited by HessStation

This isn't something you didn't already know, but it's still interesting to hear coming from a guy that interviewed for the GM position roughly a week ago.

Former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist, who runs an excellent site bringing fans closer to the intricacies inside a front office, was one of the 10 candidates brought in by owner Woody Johnson and search firm Korn/Ferry.

Shortly after John Idzik was announced, he began answering fan questions on Twitter again, something he did regularly before the interview process.

One of his subjects, though, just happened to be the Jets — a team that interviewed him for the general manager vacancy a little more than a week ago.

Among some of the interesting things he brings up: The salary cap situation is the Jets primary problem, beyond that of quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Sundquist hinted that beyond the obvious moves, the cap will still be a "puzzle" for incoming GM John Idzik to solve.

“They can get under (the salary cap) and create some space, but you can’t necessarily ‘rob Peter to pay Paul,’ ” Sundquist posted on Twitter Sunday. “It’s kind of a puzzle.”

He added: “Puzzle includes putting competitive team on field for ’13. Fans demand it, HC has to have it. Short vs Long term visions.”

Sundquist, who spent 2002-07 as the Broncos general manager, frequently posts about different teams around the league. After the Jets hired John Idzik on Friday, though, Sundquist began writing more about the Jets, a team that likely saw his detailed presentation to turn the franchise around.

Sundquist expressed his doubt in head coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez staying much longer than another season. He also believed that Idzik would have a better opportunity to build with different faces in both key positions.

This isn't something you didn't already know, but it's still interesting to hear coming from a guy that interviewed for the GM position roughly a week ago.

Former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist, who runs an excellent site bringing fans closer to the intricacies inside a front office, was one of the 10 candidates brought in by owner Woody Johnson and search firm Korn/Ferry.

Shortly after John Idzik was announced, he began answering fan questions on Twitter again, something he did regularly before the interview process.

One of his subjects, though, just happened to be the Jets — a team that interviewed him for the general manager vacancy a little more than a week ago.

Among some of the interesting things he brings up: The salary cap situation is the Jets primary problem, beyond that of quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Sundquist hinted that beyond the obvious moves, the cap will still be a "puzzle" for incoming GM John Idzik to solve.

“They can get under (the salary cap) and create some space, but you can’t necessarily ‘rob Peter to pay Paul,’ ” Sundquist posted on Twitter Sunday. “It’s kind of a puzzle.”

He added: “Puzzle includes putting competitive team on field for ’13. Fans demand it, HC has to have it. Short vs Long term visions.”

Sundquist, who spent 2002-07 as the Broncos general manager, frequently posts about different teams around the league. After the Jets hired John Idzik on Friday, though, Sundquist began writing more about the Jets, a team that likely saw his detailed presentation to turn the franchise around.

Sundquist expressed his doubt in head coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez staying much longer than another season. He also believed that Idzik would have a better opportunity to build with different faces in both key positions.

nice of him to be an open book but if it's my organization, I stay far away from this dude. I don't even interview him in the future. Jmo.

meek Woody is so weak willed that he finally succumbed to the mounting pressure applied by an unrelenting Tanny to sign the tenacious Tebow. Sounds plausible.

we all already know Woody is a weak personality who probably lacks a certain amount of gravitas. No need for anyone to exploit this anymore than it already is. Hopefully he, Woody, hired the right GM. Thank god it wasn't this jackass.

we all already know Woody is a weak personality who probably lacks a certain amount of gravitas. No need for anyone to exploit this anymore than it already is. Hopefully he, Woody, hired the right GM. Thank god it wasn't this jackass.

quit making so much sense ;)

yeah, I just can't believe someone would admit to this, even in private. Most owners would rather look wrong than weak.

yeah, I just can't believe someone would admit to this, even in private. Most owners would rather look wrong than weak.

i don't fault a man who is open to the truth, right or wrong, in a closed door meeting. This guy running to the press or Internet about it is a zero IMO.

i don't fault a man who is open to the truth, right or wrong, in a closed door meeting. This guy running to the press or Internet about it is a zero IMO.

I agree, the guy is a pos. But I'm hoping this is enough evidence to get the court to appoint some sort of legal guardian to protect Woody from himself and others.

even if Tanny pushed the idea of Tebow, why does Woody sound like he had no power to do anything about it? what's the point of owning the team?

Edited by kay_gee

It is my belief, founded only on intuition and experience, that the key player behind our penchant for "name" players was Mr. Tannenbaum.

Mr. Johnson appears to me to be a man content with allowing his General Manager and Head Coach to run his team, albeit with his tacit support for decisions that keep the New York Jets relevant, from a media and public relations perspective.

it was a classless thing for the Jets to leak that Tom Gamble did poorly in his 2nd interview. It's as classless for Sundquist to discuss his interview. Reflects badly on who ever leaked the Gamble stuff and on Sundquist.

even if Tanny pushed the idea of Tebow, why does Woody sound like he had no power to do anything about it? what's the point of owning the team?

Woody is a powerless milquetoast weakling. Jets have a unique inverted power structure where the coach tells the gm what to do and he tells the owner what to do.

Woody is a powerless milquetoast weakling. Jets have a unique inverted power structure where the coach tells the gm what to do and he tells the owner what to do.

Bullsh*t..... Woody is the big swinging dick in the organization, the Alpha male if you will. You don't become a self made billionaire unless you eat lighting and crap thunder. The mans a shark, all he does is swim and eat little sh*ts that get in his way on the path towards success. If I could pick one man to be with me in a foxhole that man would be Woody Johnson. One look into his steely glare and I'd know everything is going to be fine.

Edited by SayNoToDMC
  • Upvote 1

Bullsh*t..... Woody is the big swinging dick in the organization, the Alpha male if you will. You don't become a self made billionaire unless you eat lighting and crap thunder. The mans a shark, all he does is swim and eat little sh*ts that get in his way on the path towards success. If I could pick one man to be with me in a foxhole that man would be Woody Johnson. One look into his steely glare and I'd know everything is going to be fine.

I wouldn't really classify Woody as a "self made billionaire" as he had considerable wealth before his business dealings. Yes he built on his wealth somewhat but I firmly believe its easier to make money when you already have it.

I wouldn't really classify Woody as a "self made billionaire" as he had considerable wealth before his business dealings. Yes he built on his wealth somewhat but I firmly believe its easier to make money when you already have it.

despite all the rumors Woody comes from humble stock, he didnt make it in the NFL due to his good looks. It's was his tenacious will, smarts and determination. He made an empire from pretty much nothing.Not bad for a city college boy. Bought his way into the NFL and now all these Ivy League schmucks are sucking his kneecaps.

• Upvote 1

When Woody shot out of his father's billion dollar pecker, he could have said "Gee wiz I don't really feel like swimming fast today" but did he? **** no he didn't, he fertilized that egg. He could have decided "I think I'd rather be stillborn" but he didn't. He knew he was a mere 9 months away from reaching the pinnacle of human achievement, insurmountable wealth and I for one applaud him. We're nothing but little parasitic fish swimming in the wake of Woody's glory, feeding on whatever scraps remain as this captain of industry ascends higher then you or I can fathom. I love you Robert Wood "Woody" Johnson.

Edited by SayNoToDMC
  • Upvote 2