What happens with Revis?

Pac

Just wanted to add this: in the 2011 season, which was the last season Revis played the entire year, he was not even in the top 10 in interceptions (4), had 21 pass deflections which did rank third in the NFL, and barely had any tackles. His numbers have gone down steadily since his 2009 break out year. Yes, he's a great cover corner, but the team has never won or lost because of him. Bottom line, and I don't care what anyone says, he's not worth the money that he's udoubtedly going to be asking for. We also don't know if he's going to be the same after the ACL injury (Rod Woodson was never the same after his).

Trade Revis for a second rounder, if possible. Let him try to hold another team hostage.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to add this: in the 2011 season, which was the last season Revis played the entire year, he was not even in the top 10 in interceptions (4), had 21 pass deflections which did rank third in the NFL, and barely had any tackles. His numbers have gone down steadily since his 2009 break out year. Yes, he's a great cover corner, but the team has never won or lost because of him. Bottom line, and I don't care what anyone says, he's not worth the money that he's udoubtedly going to be asking for. We also don't know if he's going to be the same after the ACL injury (Rod Woodson was never the same after his).

Trade Revis for a second rounder, if possible. Let him try to hold another team hostage.

This is just dumb. You can't judge him on pass deflections or picks when QB's just don't throw to guys he's covering. If you're coming at this from the "he's not that good" argument, you're just wrong. The fact is that he would bring much more than just a second rounder, which is why he should be traded, as great as he is.

That would be drive one to commit seppuku. However, what if you are able to leverage the extra picks to get yourself a franchise QB?

Dude, lets be real. Franchise quarterbacks aren't just available. The ones that are known are locked down and aren't going anywhere. The unknowns are a lot about hitting the lotto. No one knew Russell Wilson would be what he turned out to be. My point is, dumping Revis for the unknown is stupid cause of just that.. the unknown.

Bottom line: the team shouldn't be handcuffed by Revis, Tannenbaum already handcuffed the team with idiotic contracts for Sanchez and Holmes. Let the lesson be learned.

the only reason Sanchez contract was bad was because of performance. If Sanchez performed like Revis, it would have been a steal.

there's a salary cap and a salary floor. the Jets are gonna spend the money on someone. an all time great like Revis is a decent way to spend it.

starters don't win games. Stars win games.

True, but we also know 2 star CB's don't mean dick if you don't have a QB.

If we can find one without giving up Revis, cool, but he's by far our best trade commodity. If you told me we could trade Revis and end up with the top 2014 QB in the draft, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Dude, lets be real. Franchise quarterbacks aren't just available. The ones that are known are locked down and aren't going anywhere. The unknowns are a lot about hitting the lotto. No one knew Russell Wilson would be what he turned out to be. My point is, dumping Revis for the unknown is stupid cause of just that.. the unknown.

So because you just "don't know" about QB's, you give up trying to get them altogether? Maybe this Idzik guy can find us the next great QB given the right mixture of draft picks.

Every available resource needs to be spent to find our guy at QB, and the best way is through the draft. We KNOW what our ceiling is with Revis on the roster along with the types of QB's we've had, and its not good enough. Our ceiling with a real QB? Champs.

Again, if we can find a franchise QB without dealing Revis, cool. But a move like this improves our odds dramatically while ensuring Revis doesn't simply walk, netting us a 3rd round compsenatory selection and perhaps letting him go to another AFC East team.

So because you just "don't know" about QB's, you give up trying to get them altogether? Maybe this Idzik guy can find us the next great QB given the right mixture of draft picks.

Every available resource needs to be spent to find our guy at QB, and the best way is through the draft. We KNOW what our ceiling is with Revis on the roster along with the types of QB's we've had, and its not good enough. Our ceiling with a real QB? Champs.

The last QB he signed was Matt Flynn who couldn't beat out a rookie. I doubt it. Unless Teddy Bridgewater falls in our laps.

not this draft.

Possibly/probably true. But we've known our 2013 season was shot the minute Sanchez signed that extension, and as recently as this week when Tavaris Jackson's name was thrown around.

We're need to be all in on the 2014 draft. That means either tank and wait (which I know you don't support) or try to acquire 2014 picks.

The last QB he signed was Matt Flynn who couldn't beat out a rookie. I doubt it. Unless Teddy Bridgewater falls in our laps.

If we deal Revis we'll have enough ammo to move up and get Bridgewater. I don't think we inherit a top 5 pick with Rex's defense ensuring we win 5+ games.

If we deal Revis we'll have enough ammo to move up and get Bridgewater. I don't think we inherit a top 5 pick with Rex's defense ensuring we win 5+ games.

We, the fans, are overrating what post-ACL Revis is worth in the trade market. He needs to show his health on the field, in real games, before trading him gets even close to value. Trading him now is dumping a stock at a low. No one's giving a first (or multiple firsts) for a CB coming off an ACL.

We, the fans, are overrating what post-ACL Revis is worth in the trade market. He needs to show his health on the field, in real games, before trading him gets even close to value. Trading him now is dumping a stock at a low. No one's giving a first (or multiple firsts) for a CB coming off an ACL.

Yeah, this is the one point I'll agree with. We know no one in the league values Revis like we have, so we'd have to temper our expectations on what we could get back.

That being said, if sometime over the summer Revis proves he's healthy, I imagine there will be plenty of teams willing to talk to us. If we don't get a 2014 1st rounder in the deal, you pass and let the season play out. I'm not advocating dealing him for significantly less than he's worth.

Again, if we can find a franchise QB without dealing Revis, cool. But a move like this improves our odds dramatically while ensuring Revis doesn't simply walk, netting us a 3rd round compsenatory selection and perhaps letting him go to another AFC East team.

Who said to give up on trying? I said try though the draft, like other teams. But trading away our best player, an elite player for more picks isn't what I consider a good move. So break up the best corner tandem in the league so that people on here can piss and moan about how our secondary now sucks? Its the same thing that happened with our O Line.

Who said to give up on trying? I said try though the draft, like other teams. But trading away our best player, an elite player for more picks isn't what I consider a good move. So break up the best corner tandem in the league so that people on here can piss and moan about how our secondary now sucks? Its the same thing that happened with our O Line.

It's a proactive move. We know we have to do SOMETHING about Revis. Either extend him or trade him are our options. Letting him walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick is not ideal.

Trading is the better option, because we already have Cromartie, and we know that having the best CB tandem in the league is almost meaningless. Even with both Revis and Cro playing at their best, we couldn't win a title because our QB play sucked.

No successful team invests that much into any 2 defensive players. You invest in your QB first and foremost, get an o-line to protect him, and fill in the other gaps however you can. With Rex, we know we don't need superstars all over the place to have a good pass defense. Even if we fire Rex, that shouldn't change our priorities much.

So would you prefer to extend Revis, knowing how much he'll be asking for?

It's a proactive move. We know we have to do SOMETHING about Revis. Either extend him or trade him are our options. Letting him walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick is not ideal.

Trading is the better option, because we already have Cromartie, and we know that having the best CB tandem in the league is almost meaningless. Even with both Revis and Cro playing at their best, we couldn't win a title because our QB play sucked.

No successful team invests that much into any 2 defensive players. You invest in your QB first and foremost, get an o-line to protect him, and fill in the other gaps however you can. With Rex, we know we don't need superstars all over the place to have a good pass defense. Even if we fire Rex, that shouldn't change our priorities much.

So would you prefer to extend Revis, knowing how much he'll be asking for?

I would. End of the day, we know what we get with Revis. Nothing about our track record with drafting makes me think that whatever we get in return for Revis, will amount to Franchise QB status. If it came to Revis for an already established QB, then we talk. But for the unknown, I don't want to do it.

I don't know if you caught the post game show with Ray Lucas.. but he said something like 'what these fans have been through, you cannot trade away the one bright spot, that we drafted. Don't do it to the fans.' I liked that.

This just isn't true.

Revis value has been hurt badly

ACL Injuries with NFL Players | Orthopedics

If you're at all a sports fan, or an athlete yourself, you've probably heard of the anterior cruciate ligament. It's commonly injured. Now a new study shows what happens to NFL players who are sidelined by their acl's, and it's not good news for players or fans and the owners. Now, a ligament is a strong piece of connective tissue that connects bone to bone across a joint. The anterior cruciate ligament crosses with the posterior cruciate ligament in the center of the knee. They control the backward and forward motion of the knee. The ACL in particular restrains excessive forward motion of the knee as well as the inward twisting or rotation of the knee. In fact, the ACL is frequently injured in severe twisting injuries of the knee or with a sudden stop. This new research in the American Journal of Sports Medicine looking specifically at ACL injuries in NFL players found those who suffer one of these injuries will likely never be the same player again. Essentially, total yards and touchdowns were markedly diminished when they returned after surgery.

Dr. James Gladstone, an orthopedic surgeon at Mt. Sinai Medical Center, says, "They're only playing at approximately 2/3rds of the level they were playing at before the injury." Dr. James Carey, the study author out of Vanderbilt University, says, "It's the first time anyone has used player performance and their statistics to look at the outcomes of a surgical procedure."

Perhaps the most concerning stat is that one fifth--21 percent--of the injured players never played another NFL game. "The predominant thinking when 31 head NFL team physicians were interviewed, is that 90 to 100 percent of players, presuming not borderline talent, return to the NFL," states Dr. Carey. Of those who did return, it took 9 to to 12 months to get back on the field.

"This study gives us pause and says even in the best case scenarios these are players who are going to work their butts off doing rehab 8 hours a day to get back to playing and even then a fifth of them, 20 percent aren't getting back to playing," Dr. Gladstone adds. Interestingly, those who get ACL injuries are more likely to be high-performance players. "They have frequent accelerations, decelerations, twisting, cutting maneuvers, that puts them at the highest risk," according to Dr. Carey.

They're more likely to be injured because they compete in more plays per game, carry the ball longer on each play, and attract more defensive attention. "The biggest problem with an ACL injury is that once it's torn there is no way that it's going to heal or be repaired, except with surgery," says Dr. Gladstone. But those great players end up less great after that surgery. It's believed players don't get back to where they were because of one or more factors, including knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced proprioception, which is the sense of knowing where your leg is.

Also, ACL reconstruction does not perfectly recreate the complex anatomy and composition of a player's ACL before injury. "They should have reasonable expectations for what they can expect their knee to do and how they can contribute to the team in the future and I think it's important to the fans and the team owners to similarly have those expectations that are realistic," Dr. Carey points out.

2/3 rds of Revis is still a top 5 corner in the league.

Possibly/probably true. But we've known our 2013 season was shot the minute Sanchez signed that extension, and as recently as this week when Tavaris Jackson's name was thrown around.

We're need to be all in on the 2014 draft. That means either tank and wait (which I know you don't support) or try to acquire 2014 picks.

I don't even know how this is a legit plan. This isn't the NBA. And who is to say the 2014 draft will work out to anything more than overhyped. I mean there were supposed to be some decent QBs this year, not like last year, but still decent. But those guys returned to College for another year and stunk it up. Matt Barkley was a top 10 pick last year. With Luck and RG3. After his disaster of a season in college, he might not even be a first rounder. ANd is he really any different? Just hype. Hell, Leinart was the first pick in the draft years ago. He stayed another year nad dropped, after a great season.

There are no Andrew Lucks. Andrew Lucks come out what, once every decade or so. I'm not even counting RG3 because he really came out of nowhere, got drafted, had a nice season, but who knows if the kid will ever be the same. Or can be. RG3 and the Redskins remind me of the Falcons years ago. Great rushing attack. ESPN highlights. Media loves them. But the QB always gets injured. The team never lives up to expectations after a great first season. So unless Cousins becomes some great QB, which means he'd be jumping ship like Schaub did, it's a moot point. Running backs average about 4 years in the NFL. All those great 2000 Yard rushers, kind of were done after that season.

So imagine a QB who runs just as often as he passes. And RG3 isn't Cam Newton or even Tebow.

That's why i never understand people who just want to tank a season. Teams that tank are the Cleveland Browns. Detroit Lions. They are never good. They really never become good. They might have one good year here and there, but for the most part, they are always picking in the top 5. You could go 3-13 and still wind up with the third pick in the draft. And nobody survives a 3-13 season. Yes, the new GM, the new OC and coaching staff might stick around after all the blame goes on Rex, but going 3-13 the first season of your regime just means you really stink.

Teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Colts have consistently built contenders year in and year out over the past decade. Do you always win? No. But they seem to know how to replace players like Revis. They seem to not sign players like Sanchez to long term contracts. They know how to bring in a Moss or Dillon and utilize them for as much as they can. And then they dump them. I mean the Patriots dumped Randy Moss after an 18-1 season and he looked like the best WR in the NFL. The Jets bring back Braylon Edwards because they never seem to find anybody.

Tanking never works out. The Colts just had one of those bad years and lost their HOF QB for the season. They also had bad coaches and were a team who lived and died with Manning. The Patriots lost Brady for the season and wound up 11-5.

If the Jets stink next season, but fight and wind up 6-10, I don't mind as long as there seems to be a plan. There seems to be players who look like they could be good in the future. If the Jets wind up 4-12 and stink and it was just a wasted year, why would anybody have faith that this new tandem knows what they are doing? Great, blame it all on Rex, and start over isn't exactly a selling point. For me, there needs to be some good moves this draft, this offseason, and the team needs to actually show signs of improvement next season. Tanking just means we have a new regime who isn't that good and will blame it all on Rex.

I would. End of the day, we know what we get with Revis. Nothing about our track record with drafting makes me think that whatever we get in return for Revis, will amount to Franchise QB status. If it came to Revis for an already established QB, then we talk. But for the unknown, I don't want to do it.

I don't know if you caught the post game show with Ray Lucas.. but he said something like 'what these fans have been through, you cannot trade away the one bright spot, that we drafted. Don't do it to the fans.' I liked that.

An era without Super Bowl victories is not a "bright spot". I want better. Revis can't win us a title if we don't find a QB. You absolutely CAN do that to the fans if its the best move towards reaching that goal.

And you can throw out our drafting track record now that we have a new GM. Bradway and Tannenbaum were cut from the same cloth, and the latter, at least is gone (hopefully Bradway will be as well). Idzik is a completely new commodity. It's too early to get pessimistic about his abilities to find a QB.

An era without Super Bowl victories is not a "bright spot". I want better. Revis can't win us a title if we don't find a QB. You absolutely CAN do that to the fans if its the best move towards reaching that goal.

And you can throw out our drafting track record now that we have a new GM. Bradway and Tannenbaum were cut from the same cloth, and the latter, at least is gone (hopefully Bradway will be as well). Idzik is a completely new commodity. It's too early to get pessimistic about his abilities to find a QB.

It's not even about super bowl victories, and that would be nice, it's about being a contender year in and year out. The first year, the Jets got lucky. They were really an 8-8 team with Revis. With Mangini and Revis, the Jets were 9-7. Last year with two great CBs, the Jets were 8-8.

This year without Revis, the Jets were 6-10. You can say the offense stinks and the QB stinks, but thats the point. Even with great CBs, the Jets are really an 8-8 team that depends more on luck getting into the playoffs than being a contender.

What they need is a great Offense, and a good defense. If they can keep Revis, great. But the reality is, the Jets had a very good defense and still wound up 8-8 last season. They had a good defense this year and wound up 6-10.

What they need is a great Offense, and a good defense. If they can keep Revis, great. But the reality is, the Jets had a very good defense and still wound up 8-8 last season. They had a good defense this year and wound up 6-10.

Exactly. So if Revis is only worth 2 wins at most, you determine how much value that is. Is it worth paying a guy like that QB money? How much could we get via trade, and is that worth 2 wins? Because the difference between Sanchez and an average or above average QB is definitely more than 2 wins.

Just contending for a playoff spot isn't good enough. That leads to 8-9 win seasons, MAYBE sneaking in, and getting some occassional road playoff victories. We need to get division titles and home playoff games. Those are the types of teams that win Super Bowls. Sure, we've seen the Giants do it twice and the Steelers once, but by and large, division winners get to the Super Bowl. Just look at the Niners and Ravens this year.

Oh no! I am not pessimistic at all! I root for this team week in and week out and believe that "next year" is gonna be a good year... every year.

And Revis is absolutely a "bright spot". And I too want better than never smelling the Lombardi trophy. I think we will get there. I want to do it with Revis, and think it will be easier with.

I agree, new GM.. I am excited and hopeful, even though I admit I don't know that much about the man. But through the years, we have both seen the Jets go through GMs. I just think scoring a big time QB is a ton more than one extra pick for sending Revis packing.

Obviously if we are talking about not being able to re-sign him then you deal him. But if its a legitimate choice of paying the man, or not... you get something for him.

Yeah but they won't be able to trade him once the season starts. They are gonna have to trade him like now or around the draft or they aren't going to be able to get anything when he walks after the season.

I love Revis but if keeping him means we field minimum offer vets at every other position then what is the value? If we can get a 1 and 2 for him I say then you trade him (preferably to an NFC team). Definitely DO NOT trade him within the division or within the Conference.

Yeah but they won't be able to trade him once the season starts. They are gonna have to trade him like now or around the draft or they aren't going to be able to get anything when he walks after the season.

This is where the GM and team need to think about the future. The Chargers let Drew Brees walk. Did they ever win anything? No, but Rivers became a pro bowl QB. The Colts let Manning walk. They drafted Andrew Luck and made the playoffs. The Redskins traded away Champ Bailey years ago. And he was considered to be Revis back then. The Eagles and Patriots have for years dumped older players. fan favorites and really good players who helped those teams win.

Sometimes it's the choices coaches, owners & GMs make that kind of tell you if they have the balls to build a winning organization. Other times teams stick with players far too long and just hang on. If the Colts kept Manning, I bet they don't draft Luck. Manning can play another 3-5 seasons. So by the time Luck actually started, he might've jumped to another team.

I love Revis, but he has an attitude problem. He thinks he's more valuable than he actually is on a team. He is the best CB in the league, but in truth, he's been on more 8-8 kind of teams than anything else. So even with him, the Jets aren't a real super bowl contender. So keep paying him big bucks, keep paying Cromartie big bucks and you get what? WHo knows if Rex gets fired. Like Rex or not, he is one hell of a DC. Bring in somebody else and the defense might not be as good, even with Revis.

I'd take a #2 this year, and a conditional #1 next year.

If the Jets are going to take a run at the likes of Bridgewater next season they will need the ammo

I doubt anybody gives the Jets a #1. And that's not even bringing up the fact he missed most of this season due to injury.

I doubt anybody gives the Jets a #1. And that's not even bringing up the fact he missed most of this season due to injury.

Could be, but teams are often looser with next year’s picks then they are this year’s. it would be a conditional pick. They get him signed, and he appears healthy

It would have to be a team that suspected Revis could be the difference.

Say Green Bay.

Archived