The All Revis Trade Discussion Threads are the Same Discussion Thread - MERGED NUMEROUS TIMES

jetfan718

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Bitonti and I are the only two who want to keep Revis. Damn.

I'd love to keep Revis if the following weren't true:

1) We'd have to grossly overpay him while simulatenously trying to rebuild under a new GM.

2) If we fail to come to terms with him (very possible, given experience) we risk losing him for just a 3rd round compensatory pick.

3) Teams whose top 2 players are CB's don't win championships.

4) If Rex gets fired after the 2014 season, Revis's value to the team immediately drops. No other coach in the league values CB play for his defensive system more than Rex.

Hell, the only jersey of a player currently on the team that I ever wear is Revis's. Do you really think I want to go out and spend money on a new jersey if that could be avoided? lol.

He's your fill in for Revis.

And yeah, With your logic, teams don't need elite players.

Again, no.

You people clearly don't understand the term logic. Kindly stop using it.

The real point is that in the salary cap era, you need elite players at key positions.

This team has about as much use for the best corner in the league as the Pittsburgh Pirates have a need for Mariano Rivera.

what makes me feel better about the Jets getting some decent compensation for Revis is by looking at this through an opposing GM view. I need to hit on a CB and I am prepared to take one in the first round. Do i trade this pick and maybe another for a known in Revis, even though he was injured last year or do I gamble on a kid coming out of college. I have the cap room. no brainer to me, i spend this years #1 on Revis and if he plays like he has in the past I cough up another high pick (1st or 2nd) next year and i have my #1 CB in football without giving up talent on my team.

Kind of like us with a QB or even a blitzing LB. Would we trade a #1 for a top QB even if he was hurt last year? Hells yeah.

Idzik commented about Revis today at his press conference...

I think it's way premature to say anything specific; again, I haven't even had a chance to sit down and really vet through our roster with Rex and his staff, and the personnel staff, so I think it would be presumptuous to say anything on that.

Again, no.

You people clearly don't understand the term logic. Kindly stop using it.

The real point is that in the salary cap era, you need elite players at key positions.

This team has about as much use for the best corner in the league as the Pittsburgh Pirates have a need for Mariano Rivera.

Google, son. Google.

your "logic" is similar to saying that human flight is impossible.

Previous to the wright brothers, that was a true statement. Now it's routine.

Just cause something has never happened before doesn't mean it will never happen.

and by the way other awesome CB's have won super bowls. Deion Sanders for example. Lester Heyes, Willie Brown, Ronde Barber, Ty Law. etc.

2 years ago, the Packers had 2 CB pro bowlers Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams.

Taking offers hurt, but the way this train has gathered so much steam.. I am legitimately concerned we are going to lose him for less than what he is worth, just not to pay him.

ok that's fair, but that's also another argument/debate. You can't neglect that there's a salary cap and the guy wants Pro bowl caliber QB money. Everyone agrees with you Revis is the best CB in football. The argument is if it's worth the money that tied up with him. You can't just say I want to keep Revis. It's i want to keep Revis therefore have no team depth, A mid round pick, Ducasse and Howard our starting OL and I'm fine with our WR core etc. It's a shifting metaphoric scenario but hopefully you get the point. Draft picks are a crap shoot but at some point you have to put faith in the scouting dept an the new GM. It's more o a weighted scale than a black and white issue, you and Bit want to make it out to be.

by the way Revis has the final say in this situation. Because the team trading for him would also need to work out the framework a long term deal before the trade was approved... the Jets can't just dump him to some backwater. He basically has a no-trade clause to use a baseball term. He can do it but he has to approve it.

ok that's fair, but that's also another argument/debate. You can't neglect that there's a salary cap and the guy wants Pro bowl caliber QB money. Everyone agrees with you Revis is the best CB in football. The argument is if it's worth the money that tied up with him. You can't just say I want to keep Revis. It's i want to keep Revis therefore have no team depth, A mid round pick, Ducasse and Howard our starting OL and I'm fine with our WR core etc. It's a shifting metaphoric scenario but hopefully you get the point. Draft picks are a crap shoot but at some point you have to put faith in the scouting dept an the new GM. It's more o a weighted scale than a black and white issue, you and Bit want to make it out to be.

I understand. I do. I just think that Revis will get paid, somewhere. Why not here? I know his payday is going to be huge.. but we can make it happen. We need to allocate money better than we are currently. Like Harris.

by the way Revis has the final say in this situation. Because the team trading for him would also need to work out the framework a long term deal before the trade was approved... the Jets can't just dump him to some backwater. He basically has a no-trade clause to use a baseball term. He can do it but he has to approve it.

I don't think thats an obstacle. I love Revis, but we all know he is a mercenary. He will go if someone pays him big bucks.. which they will.

your "logic" is similar to saying that human flight is impossible.

Previous to the wright brothers, that was a true statement. Now it's routine.

Just cause something has never happened before doesn't mean it will never happen.

and by the way other awesome CB's have won super bowls. Deion Sanders for example. Lester Heyes, Willie Brown, Ronde Barber, Ty Law. etc.

2 years ago, the Packers had 2 CB pro bowlers Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams.

No one is saying that you can't win a super bowl with Revis, or even that a player of Revis's caliber doesn't help you win the Super Bowl.

People are simply saying that the amount you pay Revis, in terms of cap space, is not nearly the value you get back from him. As I said, the best CB in the league still plays CB. If you pay him like a QB, that limits what else you can do. You responded by saying that if you don't replace him with a QB, then it's useless, but that's not true. Carrying Revis's contract isn't just about the ability to pay one player to replace him. It's about freeing up a ton of money that you can make more moves with. Maybe you can have a 3M linebacker instead of a 2M. Not to mention the draft picks.

No one wants to lose revis, but not acknowledging the potential upside is being tremendously myopic.

I understand. I do. I just think that Revis will get paid, somewhere. Why not here? I know his payday is going to be huge.. but we can make it happen. We need to allocate money better than we are currently. Like Harris.

Because, how often do those enormous contracts actually lead a team to win.

The Bills paid 60M to Mario Williams after the 2011 season. They moved up from the 26th ranked defense to the 22nd. They went from 30th in PPG to 22nd. But most notably, they went from 6-10 and last place in the AFCE to 6-10 and last place in the AFCE.

Similarly, the Jets plummeted from 5th in total defense to 8th without Revis.

The point being, you only break the bank on QBs.

No one wants to lose revis, but not acknowledging the potential upside is being tremendously myopic.

I've seen thousands upon thousands of prospects come and go. The draft is a total crap shoot.

The chances are tiny that the picks generated from a Revis trade, will come anywhere close to finding a player as good as Revis. regardless of position.

I don't think thats an obstacle. I love Revis, but we all know he is a mercenary. He will go if someone pays him big bucks.. which they will.

Revis has said on several occasions that he wants to retire a Jet. take that fwiw but he still has the right of refusal, yet another obstacle to this deal getting done.

I've seen thousands upon thousands of prospects come and go. The draft is a total crap shoot.

The chances are tiny that the picks generated from a Revis trade, will come anywhere close to finding a player as good as Revis. regardless of position.

By this logic, we should just give up on the draft because we've sucked at it the last 30 years or so. Also, the Wright Brothers, something about Apollo 11, and stuff.

Revis has said on several occasions that he wants to retire a Jet. take that fwiw but he still has the right of refusal, yet another obstacle to this deal getting done.

LOL. Revis wants to retire with as much money as possible. Whatever has to happen to for him to reach that goal, he'll do.

A team like the Jets, currently strapped for cash thanks to bad contracts, is probably not the best place for him to be.

dude your missing the point. The other guys have said it a lot. Its not about the draft picks its about the money saved and draft picks are just the icing on top

that is exactly the 100% point...other teams have allocated their money better or differently than the Jets. Some have more room and a need at CB. The Jets under Tannenbaum overpaid too many average players like they were stars and are now stuck with some of these contracts b/c players like Harris, Pace, Scott, Holmes and Sanchez are untradable due to their contracts. Some can be cut, some can't.

Mind u It's because Revis still has value that they want to trade him. Cro, Mangold, Pouha and Brick have that value per contract too, but they haven't been trying to hold the Jets hostage via hold outs and contract negotiations like Revis has the last few years.

that is exactly the 100% point...other teams have allocated their money better or differently than the Jets. Some have more room and a need at CB. The Jets under Tannenbaum overpaid too many average players like they were stars and are now stuck with some of these contracts b/c players like Harris, Pace, Scott, Holmes and Sanchez are untradable due to their contracts. Some can be cut, some can't.

Mind u It's because Revis still has value that they want to trade him. Cro, Mangold, Pouha and Brick have that value per contract too, but they haven't been trying to hold the Jets hostage via hold outs and contract negotiations like Revis has the last few years.

How many teams will pay Revis 15 million per year? How many will give up a ton of good picks for him?

I'm sure there will be plenty of teams interested in him, but I bet there will be more teams like the Bills than teams like the 49ers. Great if the Jets get value and good draft picks out of it. But if you look beyond the trade value, teams who are super bowl contenders, let players like Revis walk or find ways to negotiate good contracts. Paying a CB who isn't a playmaker who will score you TDS or a special teams player who can return kicks for TDs more money than anybody else on your team is a recipe for disaster.

what do you care. Holy crap bit. As a fan the point is, IF...IF the Jets could pick up a first and say a second round pick plus sign more FA's with the cap space they might be better off then having him for one more year then lose him for nothing OR end up paying him 20M per year and never having any money to sign a well balanced roster. Are some teams better constructed, more well managed than the jets where they could possibly make it happen and thus win a SB, yes. Or maybe there's just another idiot GM who will mortgage the entire team for Revis and the team sucks. A lot of scenarios could happen. Who cares bottom line is the Jets can move on from this obviously not stronger at CB but possibly with a stronger roster top to bottom.

Yet even still it's quite possible, if not likely, that the combination of the draft picks and the excessive amount of money freed up by his departure would result in the Jets acquiring numerous players (both through the draft and FA) who, as a whole, would provide a greater overall value to the team than what is brought by the solitary presence of Revis at CB, regardless if no single one of them as an individual turns out to be a better player.

How many teams will pay Revis 15 million per year? How many will give up a ton of good picks for him?

I'm sure there will be plenty of teams interested in him, but I bet there will be more teams like the Bills than teams like the 49ers. Great if the Jets get value and good draft picks out of it. But if you look beyond the trade value, teams who are super bowl contenders, let players like Revis walk or find ways to negotiate good contracts. Paying a CB who isn't a playmaker who will score you TDS or a special teams player who can return kicks for TDs more money than anybody else on your team is a recipe for disaster.

You're doing the same thing Pointman was doing. That's a different argument all together. His actual worth is a great debate. And it's exactly what the Jets are trying to find out/doing. Finding out his market value. Which is absolutely the right thing to do...given their predicament

Archived