The All Revis Trade Discussion Threads are the Same Discussion Thread - MERGED NUMEROUS TIMES

jetfan718

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably. And he's kind of a penis. But he's easily the best Jet of my lifetime and maybe ever. Losing him gives me a sad.

It's all about the quarterback at this point. I don't care what assets need to get liquidated to find The Guy. Carlos Rogers is the best corner in the Super Bowl. Last year it was Corey Webster.

The Steelers will probably be first in line to make an offer followed by the 49ers.

You got to look at the teams with plenty of cap space that need CBs like the Bucs. They're going to void Eric Wright $5 year - $37.5 million contract and save $7.5 mil in 2013. Greg Schiano is a guy that places a lot of efficiency on having a good secondary, hence why they toke Barron so early. I would say the Bengels but those dudes don't spend at all.

The Steelers will probably be first in line to make an offer followed by the 49ers.

The Steelers rarely make bad trades. They really don't sign players like Revis. You know, great players who seem more interested in themselves over the team. The rumor was they were close to dumping Big Ben after the sexual harassment situation. And Big Ben has been a huge reason that team has been a contender and super bowl champion.

The 49ers? They are in the Super Bowl. They were in the NFC Championship game last year and lost in overtime. They don't need Revis to win a Super Bowl.

I could see teams like the Packers, Broncos, and Buc..... And it would be great if they got Jared Allen like draft picks for him. But I doubt it.

You got to look at the teams with plenty of cap space that need CBs like the Bucs. They're going to void Eric Wright $5 year - $37.5 million contract and save $7.5 mil in 2013. Greg Schiano is a guy that places a lot of efficiency on having a good secondary, hence why they toke Barron so early. I would say the Bengels but those dudes don't spend at all.

Tampa doesn't spend, either.

The Broncos have plenty of cap room, and could conceivably be in the Super Bowl this year if they had a healthy Revis.

Same argument I used with Jose Reyes. Which of the two SB teams has a Darrelle Revis? Don't need him to win a SB. Need talent AND depth. If he can walk after next season, and I am not sure of this, you practically HAVE to trade him.

Not only can he can walk after the 2013 season; he will walk after the 2013 season unless we become the NFL's highest bidder for him.

I wrote this up in a different thread not long ago. The choices are:

1. Extend him now or sometime before the season starts. Enormous contract before you've seen him defend anyone.

2. Extend him during the season. Even bigger contract but the risk is less because you've seen him play some.

3. Wait until the season's over. In this case there is no extension. He'll void 2014-2016 and go to the highest bidder. We probably lose him and will get a 3rd round compensatory pick (~pick #100) in the 2015 draft IF we don't sign any super-high-end UFA's from some other team (in which case that cancels out the Revis compensatory pick and we get nothing for him.

4. Trade him between March 1 and the draft for 2013-2014 draft pick(s).

5. Trade him after the draft for pick(s) in 2014-2015.

Cap hits in the absence of agreeing on a new contract are:

1. Trade him before June 1: $12M this year.

2. Trade him after June 1: $3M this year and $9M in 2014.

3. Keep him for 2013, and then he's on another team in 2014: $9M in 2013 and $9M in 2014.

There is still some $12M that the Jets have paid Revis that haven't come off any prior salary caps. If he is extended on a new deal, that works out to $3M/year from 2013-2016. Then you have to add in all the new bonus and new salaries on a new contract. If he's seeking $15-16M/year for 4 years his cap number will be $18-19M/year because of the past money. But it never works out that way because salaries aren't ever drawn up evenly from 1 year to the next and this would be no different because we couldn't fit $18-19M for Revis in 2013 ($10M more than he's scheduled to count today). So say they reduced it so his cap hit in 2013 is about the same as before (about $9-10M). Then that's another $3M more he'll count, on average, over the 3 following years, making his cap hit on those back 3 years about $21-22M. For a cornerback.

If he isn't willing to take about $12M on a new deal (with built-in holdout penalties, etc.), and I doubt he could be locked up for that little, then he has to be dealt.

Take the 1st rounder plus whatever else, take the cap hit medicine in 2013, and for 2014 and beyond he's off the cap forever. $20M/year and a first rounder (or more) is at least 3 pro bowl players. Sorry but he isn't worth that to lock down one CB position even if he is the best CB I've ever seen.

Sure glad we brought in the new GM who's gonna make all personnel decisions.

I'm not against trading Revis.

But if this is a true, and our schmuck of an owner is calling the shots on how to rebuild, this franchise is so ****ed.

And you really thought he hasn't because he said he "Was not envolved with the Tebow trade?"

Woody Johnson/Jerry Jones - Brothers from other Mothers...

Just a thought...

Not only can he can walk after the 2013 season; he will walk after the 2013 season unless we become the NFL's highest bidder for him.

I wrote this up in a different thread not long ago. The choices are:

1. Extend him now or sometime before the season starts. Enormous contract before you've seen him defend anyone.

2. Extend him during the season. Even bigger contract but the risk is less because you've seen him play some.

3. Wait until the season's over. In this case there is no extension. He'll void 2014-2016 and go to the highest bidder. We probably lose him and will get a 3rd round compensatory pick (~pick #100) in the 2015 draft IF we don't sign any super-high-end UFA's from some other team (in which case that cancels out the Revis compensatory pick and we get nothing for him.

4. Trade him between March 1 and the draft for 2013-2014 draft pick(s).

5. Trade him after the draft for pick(s) in 2014-2015.

I kinda like choice number 5.

We should be open to trading EVERYONE this offseason. Id take better picks next rather than this year. maybe a 2 this year and a 1 next year? The Bucs could def use Revis and have the room to make him happy. Plus living in tampa>Jersey.

value low now, we are at other teams mercy,,,wait until he plays in preseason or 1st few games before trade deadline. Prove he still has skills and then get better value or keep him.

But dont trade your stock now at its lowest value.

That's why god created conditional picks. Get a second rounder up front, and a conditional #1 in 2014 if Revis meets certain incentives. Done.

value low now, we are at other teams mercy,,,wait until he plays in preseason or 1st few games before trade deadline. Prove he still has skills and then get better value or keep him.

But dont trade your stock now at its lowest value.

The problem is that you can't do that before you have to pay him the roster bonus and you can't trade him during the season anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130427/article/woody-johnson-meddles-with-darrelle-revis-decision?campaign=Twitter_atl

Woody Johnson meddles with Darrelle Revis decision

By Gregg Rosenthal

A debate already has started in New York following Wednesday's news that the Jets will consider all options when it comes to cornerback Darrelle Revis' future: Should the Jets trade Revis?

There is a surprising amount of support for the idea, but that argument is missing the real story here: more Jets dysfunction. The headline of the original CBSSports.com story says it all: "Jets owner Woody Johnson to explore trading Darrelle Revis."

Apparently, Jerry Jones isn't the only owner dabbling as a general manager for his day job. This has to be troubling for Jets fans.

NFL.com's Albert Breer wrote: "Going back to discussions with general manager candidates, Jets owner Woody Johnson has expressed a need to figure out where the team is headed with Revis."

From Jason La Canfora: "Johnson has made it very clear he would like to pursue a means to reap rewards for Revis now, sources said, and it is likely to be an immediate part of Idzik's initial job duties."

This is the type of news that leaks out when a team interviews a number of GM candidates who don't actually want the job. Johnson is worried the Jets won't be able to re-sign Revis and wants options.

My questions: What other football men were in the room when these interviews took place? And why is Johnson dictating football decisions?

This is an owner who spoke not so long ago about about "keeping a spy" on Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt during a game. There have been whispers over the years that Johnson meddles in football business, and that trend only seems to be growing. The Jets chose their GM with the help of a search firm rather than someone with a true football background.

New GM John Idzik is caught in the middle. He's dealing with a wary coach in Rex Ryan and an owner interested in getting rid of the team's best player. This is not a setup conducive to harmony. Oh, and Idzik's introductory news conference is Thursday morning at 11 a.m. ET.

Welcome to New York.

The problem is that you can't do that before you have to pay him the roster bonus and you can't trade him during the season anyway.

huh??? trading deadline is end of October.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association have reached agreement on a later trade deadline and an injured reserve exception.

Beginning with the 2012 season, the official trade deadline will be moved from the Tuesday following Week 6 of the regular season to Week 8.

I'd be very surprised if any team out there would be willing to make a quality offer without knowing/seeing how he's recovered from the surgery and how well he can perform on the field. It's just not worth it to trade him at this point with the down-side being greater than the up-side.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association have reached agreement on a later trade deadline and an injured reserve exception.

Beginning with the 2012 season, the official trade deadline will be moved from the Tuesday following Week 6 of the regular season to Week 8.

Waiting until the season comes with the risk that Revis isn't playing up to his standards right away, maybe even lowering his value.

I'd be very surprised if any team out there would be willing to make a quality offer without knowing/seeing how he's recovered from the surgery and how well he can perform on the field. It's just not worth it to trade him at this point with the down-side being greater than the up-side.

Peyton Manning signed a $100M contract coming off a broken neck. A conditional pick to the Jets in 2014, and a tiered contract to Revis (not unlike Manning's) will be able to get a deal done. Teams will line up for Revis' services.

Players like Revis never get traded during the season though...

He'll be traded for two 2nd round picks and will go on to finish a HOF career in a Sanders like fashion, playing for 3 or 4 other teams. He'll retire a Patriot. The Jets will draft a tight end and a linebacker with the picks. They will both be horrible.

We've all seen good players get traded in the past. The Jets need to do what's best for the long term of the organization. If the best thing would be to trade Revis, then so be it. Explore all trade opportunities and see if there is a deal that interests them. Obviously there willl be teams interested in trading for the best Cornerback in the NFL, even if he's returning from an injury. Teams do take chances on injured players. I know that this is one example but look at the Broncos. They gave Peyton Manning a 5 year $96M contract and he had 4 procedures on his neck. Revis is returning from surgery on his ACL. Players have come back from this injury and have been successful. I'm sure that if teams feel that Revis can come back fully recovered and play at a high level, they'll attempt to trade for him. If the Jets receive an offer that they can't refuse, well they have to do what's best for this team.

Teams do take chances on injured players. I know that this is one example but look at the Broncos. They gave Peyton Manning a 5 year $96M contract and he had 4 procedures on his neck.

yes but they didn't have to give up a 1st rounder for him

that's the problem with trading Revis, whoever deals for him has to give a high pick to the Jets AND back up the brinks truck for Revis.

unless they are trading Revis for a QB this logic isn't relevant. they aren't trading Revis for a QB they are trading him for picks. Kellen Clemens was a pick once.

Agreed. But this is also why you have to trade him if you can. Revis makes good QB money. He's a bad signing in a salary cap league by any team. It's too much to invest in a player who isn't a QB. And, of course the picks can be blown. But, we are going to lose Revis either way. We went 8-8 with him, 6-10 without him (and Holmes). The team will be ok and will have a lot more money and potentially good players.

Archived