The All Revis Trade Discussion Threads are the Same Discussion Thread - MERGED NUMEROUS TIMES

jetfan718

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the thing Bit. If this report is true, and the Jets are openly shopping Revis, Revis is gone.

Players ego being what they are, there is no way he’s back with the Jets.

The question is no longer should they trade him, but what will they get for him?

the Jets will still have draft picks if they keep Revis. And 100+ mil remaining to work with on the salary cap if they pay him.

Lol. Maybe we could give the new GM a chance.

So far, looks like leaking the potential trade has already generated a ton of interest. That's the first step to getting proper compensation.

But what if the Jets really DON'T have interest in trading him? Then this is the worst possible thing that could happen.

it was better than 2012. that's what I'm saying. Talent = wins.

Yes, it was a slightly better team in 2011 and as I already explained earlier, the most significant differences between those two teams had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Revis. I could just as easily say that the Jets decline was due to the loss of Mark Brunell. Hell, at least he was actually associated with the offense.

John Abraham pussed out on the sidelines in a huge game. What has he won?

He's put up ten sacks a year for Atlanta while we've spent seven seasons bemoaning the lack of pass rush. And for what? To upgrade the center position from Jonathan Goodwin to Nick Mangold. You can get a great pick in the trade and find a great player with the pick and still end up making the team worse. That's the risk in trading a superstar.

John Abraham pussed out on the sidelines in a huge game. What has he won? Leon Washington I agree was a great return man and a good change of pace back we haven't replaced. Not worth the moneyhe initially got though. And Vilma left because he didn't fit the defense anymore.

dude you dont get it.....they are what makes watching the game fun bro!!! our team has been garbage for years.....we are always friggen rebuilding!! were always letting go legit players for a few picks so we can rebuild, again

Yeah, I'd much rather watch one player be super awesome on terrible teams rather than try to grow a foundation of better players through the draft and try to be a contender year in and year out. Totes.

yea my point exactly ^^^" try to grow a foundation of better players through the draft and try to be a contender year".......revis is a guaranteed lock at his position....so why let that go so we can TRY to grow a foundation and TRY to be contenders.....look at where that has got us in the past.

dude you dont get it.....they are what makes watching the game fun bro!!! our team has been garbage for years.....we are always friggen rebuilding!! were always letting go legit players for a few picks so we can rebuild, again

The other choice is paying a cornerback quarterback money when we already have one of the best cornerbacks in football. Having two incredible cornerbacks on the same team is not like having two queens on a chessboard. It's more like having three bishops.

Before general manager John Idzik could even be formally introduced he is already dealing with a controversy.  According to CBSsports.com reporter Jason LaCanfora New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is looking at trade possibilities for all-pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Revis suffered a season ending knee injury tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on September 23rd against the Miami Dolphins.  Recovery timetables vary but many players have come back successfully from this type of injury.

Jets fans, along with the rest of the country, saw Revis holdout in 2010 on the HBO, NFL based show “Hard Knocks” which featured the Jets that season.  Revis had played three years of his rookie contract and was looking for a long term extension.  The Jets eventually came to a compromise “band-aid” or bridge contract, four years $46 million, with $32.5 million being paid within the first two seasons.

There were provisions to prevent Revis from holding-out as three years would be added to the contract, at a bargain salary, if a holdout took place.  Another incentive to avoid a holdout was Revis could not be restrict (franchise/transition tagged) in anyway after the 2013 season.  The contract structure suggested the team would attempt to give Revis a long term deal before its conclusion, although Revis felt it should have happened last year while the Jets preferred this offseason.

Unfortunately the Jets failed to see the bigger picture, be it Revis’ health status, or the team’s restrictive finances when an extension would be discussed.  With Revis’ recovery still a question and the Jets having salary cap issues signing him to an extension right now is not feasible.

Trading him before this year’s draft doesn’t make much sense as any team would be acquiring an injured player knowing he can’t be stopped from going to free agency next season.  The Jets will get little trade value from a team on a possible one year player rental.

The Jets would be in a better position if they could have Revis to play under his current contract, see if he’s recovered from the injury, than franchise him before the free agency period in 2014 giving them some leverage to work out a long term deal.

Thanks to the Jets short sighted approach, giving up their right to tag Revis, they have now put themselves in a no win situation.  Once Revis gets past the 2013 trade deadline he’s as good as gone since he’ll get to the open market, basically Revis holds all the leverage

So what if Revis proves he’s healthy and the Jets can’t reach an agreement to extend him?  One alternative is a sign and trade but the team acquiring Revis will understand the Jets are desperate and could just wait until Revis hits free agency without giving up anything, especially if they have a contract offer in place Revis would accept.

The Jets cause this dilemma by not allowing Revis to be restricted after his contract ran out.  Imagine if the New Orleans Saints didn’t have the ability to tag Drew Brees last year, he’d likely be with another team.  So giving up the only means to hold on to a superstar player is an unconscionable decision.

It is doubtful given Revis’ injury status right now that the Jets would be able to get fair value in a trade and can’t contemplate offering a long term contract until Revis shows he is healthy enough.  This trade talk will only get stronger going into training camp and the preseason and while Jets fans would like to keep Revis for his career all the current variables leaves an undeterminable outcome to this situation.

The other choice is paying a cornerback quarterback money when we already have one of the best cornerbacks in football. Having two incredible cornerbacks on the same team is not like having two queens on a chessboard. It's more like having three bishops.

I understand that, truthfully. But I went out last year and bought a Revis jersey for me and my son. Not a Cromartie jersey. My point is simple - the Jets dont give us much to hang our hats on...we lose and lose and lose. Maybe every once in awhile we got to the AFC championship game and choke, but thats it! And its fine, im use to it...but I want one damn thing on this team I can be proud of....like potentially the best CB of all time

I understand that, truthfully. But I went out last year and bought a Revis jersey for me and my son. Not a Cromartie jersey. My point is simple - the Jets dont give us much to hang our hats on...we lose and lose and lose. Maybe every once in awhile we got to the AFC championship game and choke, but thats it! And its fine, im use to it...but I want one damn thing on this team I can be proud of....like potentially the best CB of all time

The best CB and 4th in the AFC east....

In a gold rush people always are aggressive. If the JETS do not get at a minimum a 1st and 2nd round pick and atleast a 2nd next season for Revis than Izdik can go eff himself and walk out of this town!

This is not similar to John Abraham trade at all. Abraham was a talented player that lacked the maturity to take the responsibility of contributing when it mattered. He was a locker room cancer and was a "hurt" during the playoffs. His best contribution in the playoffs was warming the bench. And even after all these years doubt if Abraham can walk into the HOF.

Revis is a professional both on the field and off it. He is well respected in the locker room. He has contributed mightily to the JETS playoff run. He has shown he can contribute and dominate at all times.

In a gold rush people always are aggressive. If the JETS do not get at a minimum a 1st and 2nd round pick and atleast a 2nd next season for Revis than Izdik can go eff himself and walk out of this town!

This is not similar to John Abraham trade at all. Abraham was a talented player that lacked the maturity to take the responsibility of contributing when it mattered. He was a locker room cancer and was a "hurt" during the playoffs. His best contribution in the playoffs was warming the bench. And even after all these years doubt if Abraham can walk into the HOF.

Revis is a professional both on the field and off it. He is well respected in the locker room. He has contributed mightily to the JETS playoff run. He has shown he can contribute and dominate at all times.

I'm not sure I'm remembering this 100% correctly, but I think the biggest difference between the two is that Revis is under contract for one more year and Abraham could have been franchise tagged in perpetuity. Revis is a better player, but Abraham plays a more premium position.

keep the team's best player. It's football not rocket science. Good players win games, 10 average players don't mean more than 1 good player.

At this point at some position getting average players would be a HUGE upgrade. Specially on offense. The problem is when you have starting QB money tied up in a guy who is not NFL caliber starting QB and you do not have even average players at some position you cannot pay one guy QB type money no matter how good he is.

The JETS need to add talent at many positions while staying under the salary cap and the only way to do it is to trade someone where you can get a bunch of picks.

I'm not sure I'm remembering this 100% correctly, but I think the biggest difference between the two is that Revis is under contract for one more year and Abraham could have been franchise tagged in perpetuity. Revis is a better player, but Abraham plays a more premium position.

But Abraham had the cancer tag attached to him. I know with hindsight Abraham's trade may not look that good, but when it happened most people thought getting a 1st round pick was a major coup given his cancer tag, DUI issue and staying on the sidelines for important games.

i wish the jets put this much attention into dumping the garbage on the team like they do our one n only star. And lets not forget Landry most likely gone next season too and I'm not confident his replacement will be any better than a Eric Smith. So now no Landry and Revis....greaaaaaatttt let me rush to the ticket booth to watch this s!@# show of a defense.

They always dump the fan favorites i.e John Abraham, Vilma, Leon Washington....all legit quality players at there position and instead of building on them we dump them

Add Brad Smith, Hugh Douglas, Leonhard, on and on...to that list

He's put up ten sacks a year for Atlanta while we've spent seven seasons bemoaning the lack of pass rush. And for what? To upgrade the center position from Jonathan Goodwin to Nick Mangold. You can get a great pick in the trade and find a great player with the pick and still end up making the team worse. That's the risk in trading a superstar.

What season since he has left would the Jets have won a championship with him?

None.

I hated the AFC Championship games in those rebuilding years of 2009 and 2010. That was such a garabge team and not fun to watch at all.

Seriously?

Lol. Maybe we could give the new GM a chance.

So far, looks like leaking the potential trade has already generated a ton of interest. That's the first step to getting proper compensation.

Its not about me or you or anyone giving anybody a chance, its about being smart and in this case smart with a major piece of the pie. Sending out "feelers" is one way to get attention we all get it. The problem is, that stuff came out BEFORE the new GM spoke one word as a Jet GM. I stand by my original comments.....we need to fix the organization and that starts at the top.

I just cant trust the Jets in the draft anymore....for a period there ya could...but now I dont want to risk 3 draft picks that more than likely turn into mediocre players for an all-pro player

We could NEVER trust the Jets in the draft...i.e. Marino.

i see alot of people equating Cro with Revis. They are not the same. Cro is a 2x Pro Bowl, Revis is a 3x All Pro. Revis is much much better.

i wish the jets put this much attention into dumping the garbage on the team like they do our one n only star. And lets not forget Landry most likely gone next season too and I'm not confident his replacement will be any better than a Eric Smith. So now no Landry and Revis....greaaaaaatttt let me rush to the ticket booth to watch this s!@# show of a defense.

Have you been paying attention the last 6 years? The reason a trade is even being considered is because Revis is greedy and has shown numerous times he cares more about his money than he does the Jets.

His agents make outlandish demands and urge their players to hold out. These are the guys that had Vincent Jackson hold out 10 weeks and have Revis threaten to hold out damn near every year.

Revis doesn't care about me, you, or the Jets. He wants his money. It won't take long to see where his loyalty is as I'm 100% positive the Jets will do what they can to try and sign him to a long term deal.

You should be happy the Jets are taking this position.. Had Tanny done it a couple years ago we may have had pick(s) that could have helped us land a franchise QB last year.

You should be happy the Jets are taking this position.. Had Tanny done it a couple years ago we may have had pick(s) that could have helped us land a franchise QB last year.

the time to trade revis was 2 years ago. trading him now is selling at a low.

I hated the AFC Championship games in those rebuilding years of 2009 and 2010. That was such a garabge team and not fun to watch at all.

Seriously?

do you watch the jets or just watch them on sportscenter? We had a legit squad in 09 and 10 on both sides of the ball....a legit squad that was good enough to help our loser qb get us to the AFC championship game. Since then all we did is let go of talent bc they weren't contract friendly....and that has got us where now? Exactly...it got us to the point where we gonna let go of revis now and suck for the next 5 years and hope kyle wilson steps up which he wont

But Abraham had the cancer tag attached to him. I know with hindsight Abraham's trade may not look that good, but when it happened most people thought getting a 1st round pick was a major coup given his cancer tag, DUI issue and staying on the sidelines for important games.

He also was coming off a 10+ sack season, not an ACL tear. Some of us didn't like that deal from the start. We were killed for it.

Archived