2013 Senior Bowl 4:00 PM Today

F.Chowds

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the guard from Kentucky, think he might move up pass the guard from Tennessee as the 3rd best guard in the draft. EJ is going to be a nice pro. He has the legs to hold up better than a pure pocket passer as he can protect himself in circumventing the pass rush. Think he can be better than Wilson from the Seahawks. That Fisher LT is a stud. He needs to improve in the run game but he seems very NFL ready to produce in a passing attack.

The Hunt kid form SMU has to square up and get his eyes in the back field. Ansahhad a good game but was terrible throughout the practces. Seems to get lose on occasions. His instincts needs to pick up and he need to have another move besides the pull rush. Glennon was yuke.

I love the guard from Kentucky, think he might move up pass the guard from Tennessee as the 3rd best guard in the draft. EJ is going to be a nice pro. He has the legs to hold up better than a pure pocket passer as he can protect himself in circumventing the pass rush. Think he can be better than Wilson from the Seahawks. That Fisher LT is a stud. He needs to improve in the run game but he seems very NFL ready to produce in a passing attack.

The Hunt kid form SMU has to square up and get his eyes in the back field. Ansahhad a good game but was terrible throughout the practces. Seems to get lose on occasions. His instincts needs to pick up and he need to have another move besides the pull rush. Glennon was yuke.

Warford ( Kentucky guard) had a hell of a game. Looked like a man playing with kids. The word on him pre game was that he doesn't always work as hard as he should. He sure showed up today. I guess $$ can do that to people. :)

I've read Dysert probably has the best accuracy.

Dysert had a rough week. People came away feeling he didn't have the arm or the quick release needed to be a starter in the league. His accuracy was lacking, too. I liked him from film, but it did not translate to the higher level of competition.

2013 Senior Bowl qbs

By Walt - @walterfootball

Jan. 27, 2013

The quarterback position was definitely the weakest at the Senior Bowl, yet it's what all of the fuss was about throughout the week and during the game. In fact, several quarterbacks even trended on Twitter Saturday afternoon, and it's easy to see why. Quarterbacks are so valuable because they're the most important position in sports. Teams that have a good one will always contend for a playoff spot, while franchises that have been searching for one for a long time - Bills, Browns, Raiders - have been absent from the postseason for at least a decade.

It's safe to say that most of the quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl underwhelmed to the dismay of the teams in search of one. Here's a look at the six signal-callers, how they performed during the game, and where they should expect to be selected in April.

E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State

E.J. Manuel was the top quarterback Saturday afternoon. He led the South team to all 21 of its points and won the MVP. Now, before Manuel supporters rejoice, past Senior Bowl MVPs include Charlie Frye, Sinorice Moss, Tony Hunt and Pat White. But of course, there's Larry Johnson, Philip Rivers, Matt Forte and Brandon Graham. Being a Senior Bowl MVP seems pretty irrelevant in terms of guaging an NFL future, but one thing's for sure - it raises the winner's stock. The four busts - Frye, Moss, Hunt and White - all went earlier than projected. The same could hold true for Manuel.

Mike Mayock noted that Manuel drew third- and fourth-round grades from some teams. Take into account the fact that quarterbacks go earlier than projected and his Senior Bowl performance, and Manuel probably has played himself into second-round consideration.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Manuel sneaks into the bottom of the first round because of his immense potential. Manuel is incredibly inconsistent, but he has the tools to be very good, and it's promising that he's stepped up in the biggest games of his career thus far. He just needs to be coached up.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 2nd Round

Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State

Mike Glennon's first half was ugly, but he made several incredible passes following the Senior Bowl intermission. He displayed great arm strength on a deep sideline throw and then showed off great touch and accuracy on a pass to his target down the seam. As he completed these passes, I tweeted (@walterfootball), "And that is why #NCState QB Mike Glennon will be a first-round pick."

Glennon, like Manuel, is horribly inconsistent. He also needs to be coached up as well. But he has so much potential, and that dreaded P-word is why he's going to be chosen in the first round, possibly as high as No. 8 to the Bills. I won't agree with it, and I won't give Buffalo or whichever team a good grade, but I'll understand the move. Teams are that desperate for a quarterback that they'll reach in hopes that they'll hit the jackpot.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 1st Round

Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

There were concerns about Tyler Wilson's ability to play in a vertical passing offense entering the Senior Bowl. Tony Pauline of Draft Insider stated that Wilson is "very effective in the short and intermediate field" but "does not have the arm strength to stretch the field." Wilson lived up to that scouting report in Mobile.

As I wrote in my Senior Bowl Stock Report, "Wilson looked like a right-handed version of Matt Leinart in the Senior Bowl. He spent most of his time checking down, and his one deep attempt died in the air and was nearly picked off."

Wilson, who finsihed 8-of-11 for only 39 yards, probably won't be a first-round pick. I think he'll settle in somewhere in the second round, quite possibly to the Chiefs if they don't nab Geno Smith at No. 1 overall.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 2nd Round

Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

There were some conflicting reports about Ryan Nassib heading into the game. Charlie Campbell spoke to sources who stated that they were disappointed with the Orange product. DraftCountdown.com's Shane Hallam agreed, citing Nassib's struggles in terms of planting and driving the ball, even when coached specifically about that. Meanwhile, others were quite taken with Nassib.

Nassib did not look good during the game, going 4-of-10 for 44 yards and a terrible interception. It was only one week in which he was unfamiliar with his receivers, but he didn't exactly do himself any favors in terms of increasing his first-round chances. In fact, one team he's been linked to isn't quite interested in him. Pauline reported that the Bills, despite being coached by Nassib's former head coach Doug Marrone, aren't very intrigued about the possibility of drafting Nassib.

If Pauline's report is true, it's pretty damning for Nassib. We've seen Charlie Weis pass on Jimmy Clausen and Pete Carroll eschew drafting Taylor Mays, and look how that turned out. Still, Nassib should be a second-day draft choice.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 2nd-3rd Round

Zac Dysert, QB, Miami of Ohio

Zac Dysert had an OK stat line - 10-of-16, 93 yards, one touchdown and an interception - but that's a bit misleading. Most of his completions came on the final drive where he checked it down repeatedly to running back Kenjon Barner.

Dysert's actual performance can be described as pedestrian. Most of his passes were meaningless short attempts that any quarterback could convert. He made two impressive passes that come to mind, but he also tossed the aforementioned pick, which was quite ugly. Dysert did not enjoy a good week of practice either. That hurts because personnel men deem the practices more important the game. Of course, film is also factored in, and Dysert was quite checkdown-happy in most of his outings against stout defenses.

Dysert will probably be chosen at some point in the third round, but his new team shouldn't expect to strike gold or anything.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 3rd-4th Round

Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

Landry Jones was easily the worst quarterback at the Senior Bowl, which is saying a lot because most of them stunk up Mobile. Jones did not look like he belonged in the NFL. He frequently panicked in the pocket, even when there weren't any pass-rushers there. He would stop looking downfield and either take a sack or toss a short checkdown.

Jones, who finished 3-of-10 for a laughable 16 yards, could go undrafted. He was that bad. I think his experience will ultimately save him on Draft Day, but his new team won't get anything better than a career backup.

2013 NFL Draft Projection: 6th-7th Round

Manuel is the guy. I can handle a guy who has an 62 completion percentage (although he was 68%) as long as they can make plays with their feet which he can. In a 16 game season I can see him easily getting over 500 yards, 5 TDs with his feet. When thing break down I'm not interest in a QB who has to surrender to a cover sack, i want one to keep the play alive an possibly run for it. Guy has great size at 6'5 as well. Bet he runs a 4.6.

More Walterfootball, this about Ansah's rise:

Ezekiel Ansah Senior Bowl Stock

By Walt - @walterfootball

Jan. 27, 2013

2013 Senior Bowl: Ezekiel Ansah Stock

Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel won the 2013 Senior Bowl MVP, but the award could have easily gone defensive end Ezekiel Ansah. The BYU product was an unstoppable force. He embarrassed the offensive linemen trying to stop him, put tons of pressure on the opposing quarterbacks, made great plays to limit the running backs to short gains (or losses) and even strip-sacked Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib.

Along with Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher, Ansah made the most money at this year's Senior Bowl. He went from being a mid- or late-first-round pick to a prospect who could easily go in the top 10. I had Ansah slotted No. 19 overall to the Giants in my most recent 2013 NFL Mock Draft, but New York will be extremely lucky if he gets there.

Ansah's new range should be considered six to 19. He could go virtually to every team, given that he fits in both the 4-3 or 3-4. Ansah played outside linebacker in BYU's 3-4, so he would obviously fit the latter scheme.

Here's a look at every team in the 6-19 range, and whether or not they make sense for Ansah:

Cleveland Browns

Michael Lombardi is now calling the shots with the Browns, and he's a big proponent in building a defense starting with a pass rush. Cleveland is now running a 3-4 and needs a rush linebacker across from Jabaal Sheard. If Damontre Moore and Bjoern Werner are off the board, Lombardi could definitely consider Ansah over Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones.

https://www.facebook...018835652914264

Arizona Cardinals

If the Cardinals don't like any of the quarterbacks available, they'll go with the best player on the board. Ezekiel Ansah could fit that and fill a need as well. Arizona doesn't have much of a pass rush coming from the linebacking corps.

Buffalo Bills

The Bills will be going quarterback or receiver.

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets

The Jets have to improve their pass rush. Because Ansah fits both the 4-3 and 3-4, he would be a great fit for Rex Ryan's hybrid scheme. The Jets have to improve their pass rush if they want to beat Tom Brady. Drafting Ansah could very well do that.

Tennessee Titans

Sources have told us that the Titans will not be looking for a defensive end early in the 2013 NFL Draft.

San Diego Chargers

The Chargers will be praying for Eric Fisher to fall to them. If he doesn't, they'll consider Ansah if he's available in the event that they lose Shaun Phillips to free agency. Other players are also possible, like Johnathan Hankins, who could be rated above Ansah on their board.

Miami Dolphins

Ansah is a very strong option for the Dolphins. They desperately need pass-rushing help across from Cameron Wake, as they're in the same boat as the Jets. Beating Tom Brady requires putting tons of pressure on him.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Buccaneers desperately want Johnthan Banks. It's unlikely that they'll draft a defensive end in the first round.

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers are strong at defensive end. They'll be looking at another position.

New Orleans Saints

The Saints are transitioning to the 3-4 - check out this article about the four teams switching defenses this offseason - but Ansah still makes sense for them because he can play in that formation. New Orleans has to find a pass-rusher, so Ansah makes a ton of sense.

St. Louis Rams

Chris Long and Robert Quinn are the starting ends, so they won't be interested in Ansah.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Rush linebacker is one of the positions that the Steelers will be targeting in the first round, given that they need to find a successor for James Harrison. Ansah would make a ton of sense.

Dallas Cowboys

Anthony Spencer will be too expensive to re-sign for a cap-strapped team, so Dallas will have to find another pass-rusher across from DeMarcus Ware. Ansah could easily play left end in Monte Kiffin's 4-3.

New York Giants

The Giants already have enjoyed success with a raw pass-rusher, so why not another? Ansah isn't so raw as he is inexperienced, but the fact remains that the sky is the limit for him once he realizes his potential.

Do you take him in the second? Will he last that long?

I'm not sure Manuel would fit into Mornhinweg's west coast offense. He's tall, big arm and can run but terribly inaccurate at times. The other QB I like, Bray, is tall with an absolute rocket but he could have major maturity issues and problems with accuracy as well. Mayock kept saying all week that a lot of/all these guys can flash at times but just about all of them are/were inconsistent as well (fyi, yeah I realize Bray wasn't there fwiw). My guess is guys like Nassib and Dysert are probably more of the style they (the Jets) would be looking for. With all this said, there's still Geno Smith, who, imo, is still the best QB in the class, but the problem with Smith is you probably have to take him at 9 (if there) and he's nowhere near the automatic as last year's crop. Not showing up to compete this week and having his worst games against the better teams this year also doesn't help.

I think what the Jets strategy should be is to sit at their current position in the first round and if Geno Smith falls to them, draft him. Don't trade up, though. Then after that, wait until the third round and evaluate if anyone with some life (Manual, Wilson, Glennon) falls that far, if not, don't take a QB.

i like Ansah but just want to point out he has 4 career sacks at BYU. He's gonna have to 20 backflips like JPP to go as high as people are saying. I have him as a late 1 on potential alone. BUt he's got no production.

POTW NOM....everyone is in love with Ansah and forgets the 4 sack part. Can you imagine if we draft him and he struggles? The number 4 will haunt him and the new GM.

I think what the Jets strategy should be is to sit at their current position in the first round and if Geno Smith falls to them, draft him. Don't trade up, though. Then after that, wait until the third round and evaluate if anyone with some life (Manual, Wilson, Glennon) falls that far, if not, don't take a QB.

I haven't paid any attention to Smith at all. It kinda reminds of the weak QB class the year Pennington came out, and I didn't pay any attention to him either - thinking there was no way the Jets would draft him. I just read a short draft bio for Geno, and I'm pretty sure I physically cringed when it talked about him struggling in one game...

Smith stayed tough in the pocket, but his mental toughness has been questioned as he appeared uncontrollably discouraged on the sideline and had little answers for Kansas State's good, but far from great defense.

Where have we seen that before?

I think the Jets need to be more conscious of that sort of warning sign than any other team in the league.

I haven't paid any attention to Smith at all. It kinda reminds of the weak QB class the year Pennington came out, and I didn't pay any attention to him either - thinking there was no way the Jets would draft him. I just read a short draft bio for Geno, and I'm pretty sure I physically cringed when it talked about him struggling in one game...

Smith stayed tough in the pocket, but his mental toughness has been questioned as he appeared uncontrollably discouraged on the sideline and had little answers for Kansas State's good, but far from great defense.

I think the Jets need to be more conscious of that sort of warning sign than any other team in the league.

i am pretty sure jets will trade down if they find a trading partner

i am pretty sure jets will trade down if they find a trading partner

I think if the right pass rusher is there, they should rush to the podium and take him. Otherwise, yeah, trading down and compiling some picks for the meat of what's supposedly a deep draft would be the smart move. The Jets need to replace all the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks Tannenbaum traded away over the years.

I think if the right pass rusher is there, they should rush to the podium and take him. Otherwise, yeah, trading down and compiling some picks for the meat of what's supposedly a deep draft would be the smart move. The Jets need to replace all the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks Tannenbaum traded away over the years.

I am hearing Gio Bernard will be a Jet. Trading down might be only way to get him.

I am hearing Gio Bernard will be a Jet. Trading down might be only way to get him.

Is that the voice inside your head? I know you're extremely high on the kid. :)

Have to see what happens with the potential Revis trade, too. That's another clear path to a late first rounder.

Is that the voice inside your head? I know you're extremely high on the kid. :)

Have to see what happens with the potential Revis trade, too. That's another clear path to a late first rounder.

all I know is Jets scouts way over scouted (three trips) to see him this year and he is perfect fit for WCO (Ladinain clone). He also is potential AllPro punt returner to boot.

FYI, they came to Raleigh three times for Glennon also ;)

I will be in Chapel Hill Feb 6th for Nat Signing day dinner/party w/coaches at Football Complex. I will peek around more than :)

dont mean to stick up for Geno, I agree some of his sideline demeanor was discouraging to watch the second half of the year. But they were down 17 before you could blink against KSU and the a&m game was a wind bowl. WV had one of the worst D's in college football this year and it def eventually got to him trying to do too much. You could tell when all the first half of the season's hype startied wavering and he'd lose composure. That said, it's been said he's a great kid and a hard worker. But def some maturity issues he'll have to work through.

dont mean to stick up for Geno, I agree some of his sideline demeanor was discouraging to watch the second half of the year. But they were down 17 before you could blink against KSU and the a&m game was a wind bowl. WV had one of the worst D's in college football this year and it def eventually got to him trying to do too much. You could tell when all the first half of the season's hype startied wavering and he'd lose composure. That said, it's been said he's a great kid and a hard worker. But def some maturity issues he'll have to work through.

Would you take him at #9 overall, though? That's pretty much anointing him as your QB of the future. Probably the very near future. That pick would define Idzik's tenure with the Jets for years to come. They'd have to be extremely confident that Geno could at least be a solid NFL starter -in the heat of the New York spotlight- to make that move. Can you imagine the fallout the first time he pouts on the sidelines here?

Archived