1st mock

bitonti

O rly. Who are these 2014 QBs? Some current sophomores, redshirt freshmen, and Aaron Murray?

If 2013 is so strog WR wise then why would they reach for one in the first?

1) Teddy Bridgewater is real deal. Louisville is not supposed to beat Florida in a bowl game.

2) I never said they were 100% gonna go WR. I'm throwing it out there as a possibility. You seem to think the Jets are drafting OLB no matter what at 9. yes it's a strong WR crop but not a lot of #1 potential. The guys who go in rd1 are the 1's

end of the day we can argue this until April but what they do in free agency will tell the tale. If they sign an OLB it's unlikely they draft one top 10.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a team that gave meaningful reps to Chaz Schiliens, Clyde Gates, Jason Hill, Jordan White, It got pretty bad.

This is true but they also had injuries galore. And their QB was just as damning as these WR's.

The speed of our LB'ing core was down right shameful last season. And its much harder to find an OLB who can get to the QB than it is to find a decent WR who fits the WCO nicely.

WR in general is not a position I put a ton of value on in the draft. Unless you've got freaks coming out like Green, Jones or Johnson that are essentially a cant miss prospect. Allen is not a cant miss prospect and you're taking him in the top 10? Thats an awful idea and reaching on a perceived need IMHO.

Plus, there are similar WR's all over this draft.

I can't believe that Fluker and Reid are first round picks until I see it. If Vaccaro can scape out of the senior bowl and still end up #6 as a safety dude is gonna have to jump out of the building at the combine/pro day. I actually wouldn't mind the out of the box pick (for Jets fans) in Allen.

I can't believe that Fluker and Reid are first round picks until I see it. If Vaccaro can scape out of the senior bowl and still end up #6 as a safety dude is gonna have to jump out of the building at the combine/pro day. I actually wouldn't mind the out of the box pick (for Jets fans) in Allen.

Mike Detillier who covers LSU said Reid was a late 1 as soon as he declared. He's not perfect but is very close to that program.

Wait. I just realized you have no QBs in the first round. What the???? If that happens Jets need to trade up a few spots for Geno in the second.

I believe there will be a QB in the 1st round but not in the top 15 or 20 picks. Someone will trade back in. I didn't want to project that mess. But honestly this QB class is so dreadful it wouldn't be shocking if no one was picked.

The need debate IMO is kind of moot since there are needs all over this team. Long-term you have to take Holmes out of the equation for WR too, so you have the unproven Holmes and Kerley. Plus the offense is beyond awful. A guy like Patterson has a shot to be that guy on the Jets who needs to be accounted for and can both make plays and open things up for others, his upside is kind of a Percy Harvin/Julio Jones mix IMO although who knows if he gets there, and they don't have anybody close to that right now.

Definitely agree with HessStation on Jones dropping hard. Not sure where he really fits ( doesn't get talked about but he's really small for a 3-4 OLB, won't be able to lift much with his spinal stenosis to fill out that frame, don't see a 4-3 fit, and he's not a Von Miller type athlete to compensate for his lack of prototypical size) and the injury concerns on top of that. Agreed on McIntyre starting next year too, I think that's a virtual lock.

mcintyre will start they still need another starter at OLB. They are gonna lose pace and thomas most likely.

i tend to agree with derp that if you look at this team and what was wrong, it wasn't the defense or the pass rush. they have to fix the offense, drafting barkevious mingo doesn't really do that. if it's patterson instead of allen that's fine.

Starting to think Ansah could be the pick. Especially if Rex still has majority input. If not i would guess WR, QB or Warmack.

no QB please. They all eat balls. Warmack would be a great safe pick that solves no problems.

Ansah is super duper raw and can barely play DE let alone a move to LB (looked garbage in LB drills last week). He's like if Vlad played DE, gonna take 3 years.

Could see a DE pick of Mingo/Montgomery or LB pick of Jordan/Jones.

no QB please. They all eat balls. Warmack would be a great safe pick that solves no problems.

Ansah is super duper raw and can barely play DE let alone a move to LB (looked garbage in LB drills last week). He's like if Vlad played DE, gonna take 3 years.

Could see a DE pick of Mingo/Montgomery or LB pick of Jordan/Jones.

Id be ok with Geno. Warmack is the same argument we had last year with DeCastro...could be a a huge worthwhile upgrade and turn a good into great. I'm fine if they went that way. Personally out of the WRs, Allen has to be the pick if they went that way. Patterson and Hunter are more boom/busts.

I get the argument for Warmack, but still think it's tough to take a guard in the top 10. We saw how last year DeCastro was going to go super high for a guard and then a. he didn't and b. he wasn't outstanding last year when he played. The scenario I'd be okay with going guard in is IF they're able to move down, take one of Warmack/Cooper since they're 1a and 1b anyway. I tend to think Cooper might be the better fit for the kind of scheme Mornihinwig is going to run anyway.

Mingo I like more than Montgomery, and Jordan I like more than Jones if they go OLB. And that's a pick I'd be fine with too, I just don't think we need to reduce the positions we'll draft to OLB and Warmack. Ansah I agree is just a little raw, you're getting comparable tools and more LB ability from a guy like Mingo or Jordan. He could explode but I think the JPP comparisons are off and I'm not sure I want to take that gamble. Generally though I think they've got the defensive coaching staff to take a raw guy and turn him into a beast. Mingo wasn't that productive sack-wise but could really develop. I still think this QB class is underrated by some, guys are going to go high. Lots of guys better than Gabbert/Ponder who went top half of the first.

In a straight line, yeah I do think he could. He actually looked good standing up against Washington State too. But I'm not sure he's as good as Mingo or Jordan in terms of fluidity. Other than that though he does have all the tools, I go back and forth on him. I really think it's more that he looks like a better DE fit than OLB and that he's beyond raw. But it's probably not the worst situation.

he won't drop past 9. the Jets doctors have never met a player who fails their physical.

Except, 1980, unfortunately, when they told us Anthony Munoz had bad knees, and we took "Lame" Jones. Hi Bit, ny first post here on JN. Can't argue they need to improve offense. Will be interesting to see how the pick unfolds....if you are right, and it's a WR, maybe Rex's days of running the draft are over. What did you think of my Rutgers guys in Mobile, Greene and Buaharnis ? They help/hurt stock.

why? are you saying they will address the position but not in rd 1? The WR were atrocious last year. How much longer will Holmes be a Jet? Can any of them run in the WCO? it's a legitimate concern. There are other OLB/DE in the draft, just as there are other WR. Some of those guys on your list were third rounders (Jason Taylor) and some weren't even drafted (Harrison).

by the way the free agency period will tell alot. If they sign a bunch of WR then obviously not. But if they make a high profile signing like Spencer or Barwin then they aren't gonna go DE to OLB convert at 9.

i see mingo like mavin sorry hey that kid A, ogletree is not bad,bring back brayon WR problem solved

Dont kid yourself, I dont think the jets are that far off. Hear me out. Last year we were 8 and 5 with eagles, giants and miami. In all 3 games lets face it we had terrible play at qb....and also some bad luck... The Giants game we should of won if our dbs didnt run into each other and victor cruz ran 98 yds for a td...Eagles was a disaster and the dolphin game sanchez couldnt do anything...

This year with all the injuries and lets face it they had a huge impact we were 6 and 7 and 3 games we should of won but again we got no play at qb this year and we finished 6 and 10.... You can make an argument that if we had average play at qb we would of gone 9 and 7 and all of a sudden things dont look so bad...

My point is we got old on some key spots... bart scott, bryan Thomas... pace puha was hurt...,,,and we need better play at qb and one player at least on offense, wide receiver or a back..

We need to draft a o lineman, get a back....and get healthy and we will be ok... the key is qb, but dont forget we got to 2 afc championship with probably with not very good qb play... all our playoff wins our d allowed no more than 14 points in 3 games that we won and 21 in another win vs pats but the last 7 points were with 30 seconds left... not one game did we throw for over 200 yds and win in the playoffs.... My point is with Rex defense and an average offense we will have a chance at the playoffs. if we can get better play at qb we can be real good..

Lets face it.. coples is a player,.,.wilkerson is a player... ellis in the middle is huge...... davis will take over for Bart and we need to resign Landry and fill in at all the rest of the positions via draft and free agency.

What we need to see more than anything is we need to spend money on free agency.. it can be done with signing bonuses that the money is pread out over the years of the contract... Before Rex they brought in big free agents,,, Pace... woody... thomas Jones... faneca...then in the first years of Rex we brought in Edwards via trade, holmes via trade,, tomlinson... but the last 2 years we havent done much other than Landry who we got at a discount due to injury... point is we need to be aggressive and spend money and we will be right there...

As for as the mock I can't see Fluker going that high. Nor can Eddie Lacy go 1st to the Bengals of all teams who never really use a high asset on a RB. I expect them to do so this year with the early second rounder. You have Te'o on the board that's their pick. Also don't see both TEs going 1st, there's draft in which better TE prospects weren't pick in the first and had to wait second round or so.

Now for the Jets it's bad value to get him at 9. He's not Marqise Lee or Sammy Watkins. Don't like the prospects who fell to us there so I would most likely pick a QB Matt Barkley.

Hey Matt,

Who is the safest pick this year (not a guard)?

i guess it depends on definition of safe. Safe in the near term isn't safe in the long term.

Eric Fisher and Luke Joekel seem real safe. But not need for Jets.

keenan Allen also seems really safe. people thought it was a reach at 8. but really talented, productive and plug-and-play for the WCO.

Jarvis Jones is gonna be a player, but could be effected long term by medical issues.

Eddie Lacy seems safe as hell, the guy has real moves and I can't imagine NFL dB's wanting any part of tackling this guy.

will either of these guys be in the league for 10 years, who can say? RB and LB usually transition to the league quickly but don't last long.

i guess it depends on definition of safe. Safe in the near term isn't safe in the long term.

Eric Fisher and Luke Joekel seem real safe. But not need for Jets.

keenan Allen also seems really safe. people thought it was a reach at 8. but really talented, productive and plug-and-play for the WCO.

Jarvis Jones is gonna be a player, but could be effected long term by medical issues.

Eddie Lacy seems safe as hell, the guy has real moves and I can't imagine NFL dB's wanting any part of tackling this guy.

will either of these guys be in the league for 10 years, who can say? RB and LB usually transition to the league quickly but don't last long.

Id have to agree with you on the OTs you mentioned...but I wouldn't say we dont need an upgrade at OT. If Im a new GM I go safe. That means drafting an OL. Warmack at 9 is way too high. but getting Fisher might not be a horrible option. He upgrades our RT spot, and provides depth should our incumbent get injured (knock on wood).

I might even consider going double OL. Tackle in the first, Guard in the second (Warford). Not sexy, but it would do wonders for the organization to have talented depth protecting whomever we get to play under center next year.

getting Fisher might not be a horrible option. He upgrades our RT spot, and provides depth should our incumbent get injured (knock on wood).

it's gotten to the point where RT are different positions than LT. Fisher is a true LT. neither he nor brick would be comfortable on the right side.

It also should be noted that Austin Howard is one of the only cheap (RFA) starters on the team, and he knows Marty Morn's playbook.

It's actually getting to the point where RT and LT are getting back to being similar. This is why Smith was able to start at RT for the Cowboys as a rookie...RTs need to be able to pass protect since some genius figured out that you can move your pass rushers around.

That said, no thanks at 9. I could get over it if it happened, but I hope it doesn't.

It's actually getting to the point where RT and LT are getting back to being similar. This is why Smith was able to start at RT for the Cowboys as a rookie...RTs need to be able to pass protect since some genius figured out that you can move your pass rushers around.

That said, no thanks at 9. I could get over it if it happened, but I hope it doesn't.

we basically agree that the Jets aren't drafting but bringing up Tyron Smith as an example of RT being the same as LT isn't really true... cause he never played RT in the NFL. Jake matthews is playing RT at Texas A&M cause Joekel is on the left side. Matthews will be on the left side next year. Colleges that have enough prospects want to get them on the field. Tyron Smith and Jake Matthews have left tackle measurables.

Im talking about pro RT's which is a different position for LT. Teams pay em different, they expect different things out of em and they find em in different rounds.

Archived