Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Sperm Edwards

http://sports.yahoo....-190346715.html

Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Wed, Jan 30, 2013 2:03 PM EST

NEW ORLEANS – San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver has made inflammatory comments regarding homosexuality in football just a few days before Super Bowl XLVII.

Shock jock Artie Lange revealed he had interviewed Culliver at media day Tuesday and aired a segment on his show that night, where the player insisted that any gay players would not be welcome on the team.

"I don't do the gay guys man," said Culliver, whose Niners play the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.

"Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah…can't be…in the locker room man. Nah."

When quizzed by Lange whether any homosexual athletes would need to keep their sexuality a secret in football, Culliver responded: "Yeah, come out 10 years later after that."

You can listen to the interview here:

The 49ers released a statement Wednesday in response to Culliver's remarks:

"The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made [Tuesday], and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community."

Culliver issued his own apology on Wednesday.

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," Culliver said in a statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

In the NFL's long history, there has never been an openly gay active player. However, sexual orientation has increasingly come into the spotlight recently.

The Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax saga was believed by many to be a ruse designed to hide his homosexuality, a claim that was vehemently denied by the former Notre Dame defensive star.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo has been an outspoken supporter of gay rights, using the profile of Super Bowl week to bring the issue further into the spotlight.

[Related: Ray Lewis agitated over link to PED during Super Bowl week]

And Monday, a report surfaced that former NFL player Kwame Harris had been charged withassaulting a former boyfriend.

"You always think because of the odds and the numbers there are gay players in the NFL," formerPittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis told Huffington Post Live. "They haven't obviously come out and told anyone about it not even behind the scenes.

"Obviously there will be people who disagree and people who don't have a problem with it, but that will be in life as well. I don't think it is going to affect someone's play.

"Because it is so testosterone driven, it'd be really difficult for a gay player to stand up and say, 'Hey, I'm gay and I'm an NFL player.' "

Culliver, 24, did little to improve his own reputation on Wednesday, sending out a Tweet about a woman's monthly cycle.

Culliver, who started six games for the Niners in the regular season, recorded 48 tackles and two interceptions.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," Culliver said in a statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

You cannot make this up!

You cannot make this up!

These thoughts were in my head but not in my heart.

Gold.

no love for the flacco reference ? see what I did there ?

screw you guys I'm going home

Maybe he can spend some of that $20 mill per on learning not to be such a dumbass. I mean, I get that most of these guys aren't exactly drafted for their IQ, but how socially unaware do you have to be to realize that there are certain terms you should at least avoid in an interview, regardless of whether you say it in private or not.

Unfortunately this is a prevailing thought through the majority of sports still, right Torii Hunter?

I'm not sure when or if this will become more commonly accepted, but just by chances and statistics alone, there is a gay person on every team throughout all of sports.

And Culliver is pathetic.

Unfortunately this is a prevailing thought through the majority of sports still, right Torii Hunter?

I'm not sure when or if this will become more commonly accepted, but just by chances and statistics alone, there is a gay person on every team throughout all of sports.

And Culliver is pathetic.

Lol. If 4% of the population is gay, it doesn't translate to 4% of NFL players being gay. Just as its unlikely that 96% of the males making a living in musical theater are straight. :)

But yeah, all I can say is that Culliver will never be welcome in the mod lounge.

Lol. If 4% of the population is gay, it doesn't translate to 4% of NFL players being gay. Just as its unlikely that 96% of the males making a living in musical theater are straight. :)

But yeah, all I can say is that Culliver will never be welcome in the mod lounge.

Pretty sure 4% doesn't account for nonresponse bias.

Pretty sure 4% doesn't account for nonresponse bias.

I believe that's the best current guesstimate. I suppose that could change if you ever decide to come out of the closet. :)

Plug whatever number you want in there, it doesn't change my point.

Culliver is just lucky that he's allowed to be openly uneducated in the NFL.

I just find it sad that someone can be so dumb as to not see the parallels between hating someone for the way they were born and ya know, the fact that possibly his ancestors endured the same type of discrimination. It'd be interesting to hear a reporter ask him that, but I'm pretty sure he'd get a nosebleed from that little mental puzzle.

Archived