Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part (NYJETSCAP)

LAD_Brooklyn

Big read, but in it Jason clears out a path to a significant amount of cap space in 2013 without much pain at all. After reading it, this season all of a sudden doesn't look quite as hopeless. Outside of the QB situation, of course.

The cap is navigable. Nice. But the roster is still loaded with dead weight that needs to be replaced, and it'll take more than a few mil in cap space to do that in the short term. Idzik has mentioned a few times the term "evolution of the roster," which is exciting because it indicates to me that he'll build in a way that doesn't require binge-and-purges the way Tannenbaum had. He's going to be aware of which players need to be paid and when, and which players to let walk, allowing for long-term foundation building instead of throwing money at old vets to come in and prop up the roster for two years.

As much as people are down on him, Calvin Pace will be missed. He may not be a game changer or great in coverage but he has been consistent and reliable since he has been here.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season.

That is respectable production for his position.

All that being said, that was an outstanding write up by Jason.

Calvin Pace is rank is the bottom of the league as far as productivity among 3-4 OLB. He's amongst the top in pass rushing attempts and the percentage of pressure/sacks he's provided where atrocious. Paying an elite players like Revis won't hurt your cap but players like Scott and Pace will. That's why I hate going after mid-tier talent in free agency as your going to have to pay them a premium and most of the type it's just horrible value.

Calvin Pace is rank is the bottom of the league as far as productivity among 3-4 OLB. He's amongst the top in pass rushing attempts and the percentage of pressure/sacks he's provided where atrocious. Paying an elite players like Revis won't hurt your cap but players like Scott and Pace will. That's why I hate going after mid-tier talent in free agency as your going to have to pay them a premium and most of the type it's just horrible value.

I don't really care where he is ranked (although I am curious where you are getting those statistics from), his roll in our defense is not the same as most protypical 3-4 OLB'ers, you can't argue with his production.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season and those numbers are straight off of his NFL.com players page.

Calvin Pace wasn't a mid-tier FA that year, he was the top of the class. The Jets and fish were in something of a bidding war, and Tannenbaum wasn't one to ever lose out in a bidding war. Another big failing for him. A GM needs to be a smart talent evaluator, who's able to put a dollar value on these players - and then stick to it.

Paying Revis what he's rumored to want would be excessive under any circumstances, paying him coming off the ACL is way too risky to consider.

The cap is navigable. Nice. But the roster is still loaded with dead weight that needs to be replaced, and it'll take more than a few mil in cap space to do that in the short term. Idzik has mentioned a few times the term "evolution of the roster," which is exciting because it indicates to me that he'll build in a way that doesn't require binge-and-purges the way Tannenbaum had. He's going to be aware of which players need to be paid and when, and which players to let walk, allowing for long-term foundation building instead of throwing money at old vets to come in and prop up the roster for two years.

...figures.

Calvin Pace wasn't a mid-tier FA that year, he was the top of the class. The Jets and fish were in something of a bidding war, and Tannenbaum wasn't one to ever lose out in a bidding war. Another big failing for him. A GM needs to be a smart talent evaluator, who's able to put a dollar value on these players - and then stick to it.

Paying Revis what he's rumored to want would be excessive under any circumstances, paying him coming off the ACL is way too risky to consider.

I find it hard to believe you would debate that Calvin Pace isn't a mid-tier talent even going back to when he was a free agent. If you do then I won't go back an forth and leave it as that.

I find it hard to believe you would debate that Calvin Pace isn't a mid-tier talent even going back to when he was a free agent. If you do then I won't go back an forth and leave it as that.

If you're saying that he was a mid tier talent that got overpriced because of the market, I can agree with that. But he was the top of the market, and it was our GM who chose to overpay. Lots of GM's knew not to.

I don't really care where he is ranked (although I am curious where you are getting those statistics from), his roll in our defense is not the same as most protypical 3-4 OLB'ers, you can't argue with his production.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season and those numbers are straight off of his NFL.com players page.

So your saying you don't care about his stats, however you go on to show me stats. ***Shrugs***

Also to your main point " respectable production for his position". If a 3rd 4th rounder then I would agree. But not as a key, big time free agent. I'm pretty sure with the money we gave him many would have expect more from pace. If not then your just ok with mediocrity.

just want to point out that deep down in this article, is the advice to give Mark Sanchez another 7 million dollar bonus.

If you're John Idzik that's probably not on your 'to do' items to talk to Woody about. Yeah Boss we need to pay mark Sanchez more money so we can dump him.

enough. Mark has gotten enough from this franchise. let him play this year and be done with it already.

Pace was paid like a mid teir starting DE/OLB and he produced like a mid tier starting quality LBer. His contract only became another whining point on the giant pile of whining points once Gholston proved to be 100% ineffective.

the pace contract wasn't terrible but it's also time for him to move on. Garrett Mc is their only "starter" at OLB this is probably the year they go pass rusher early

just want to point out that deep down in this article, is the advice to give Mark Sanchez another 7 million dollar bonus.

If you're John Idzik that's probably not on your 'to do' items to talk to Woody about. Yeah Boss we need to pay mark Sanchez more money so we can dump him.

enough. Mark has gotten enough from this franchise. let him play this year and be done with it already.

No. They suggest that $7M of his already guaranteed $8.25M could be converted into bonus money to ease the cap hit this year and maybe, possibly, make him a little tradeable. No new money.

But if you want to argue against the Jets having any potential cap room, feel free. Lol.

No. They suggest that $7M of his already guaranteed $8.25M could be converted into bonus money to ease the cap hit this year and maybe, possibly, make him a little tradeable. No new money.

if there's no new money, why would he do it? im not being sarcastic just don't get why Mark would make life easier for the Jets, for free.

if there's no new money, why would he do it? im not being sarcastic just don't get why Mark would make life easier for the Jets, for free.

Because it doesn't hurt him. Instead of waiting to collect his money during the season, he'd get 90% of it up front. And if he's actually going to play QB for the team, freeing up some cap room to add players that might help him out on the field would also be an incentive.

If the Jets want nothing to do with him, and it helps him go somewhere that he is wanted, that's no so bad, either.

So yeah, lots of reasons. Starting with $7M in his pocket in March.

If the Jets want nothing to do with him, and it helps him go somewhere that he is wanted, that's no so bad, either.

So yeah, lots of reasons. Starting with $7M in his pocket in March.

but the money's fully guaranteed either way as you point out. So unless Mark wants to leave town there's no reason for him to restructure.

but the money's fully guaranteed either way as you point out. So unless Mark wants to leave town there's no reason for him to restructure.

Did you miss this part:

Because it doesn't hurt him. Instead of waiting to collect his money during the season, he'd get 90% of it up front. And if he's actually going to play QB for the team, freeing up some cap room to add players that might help him out on the field would also be an incentive.

If you had $7M coming to you this year, guaranteed, and had the choice of getting a $7M check in March or having it spread out over 17 weeks from September thru January of next year, which would you choose?

If the Jets make that offer, it's an absolute no brainer for him to take it. Less of a no brainer for the Jets to make it in the first place, as it adds dead money to 2014 if he sucks again.

If you had $7M coming to you this year, guaranteed, and had the choice of getting a $7M check in March or having it spread out over 17 weeks from September thru January of next year, which would you choose?

If the Jets make that offer, it's an absolute no brainer for him to take it. Less of a no brainer for the Jets to make it in the first place, as it adds dead money to 2014 if he sucks again.

Doesn't converting it to bonus make some sort of cap charge for 2014?

Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part 3- The Final Conclusions

Well now it comes time to wrap it up. If you made it this far congratulations that was a massive read. If you skipped to here well you probably made the smart choice! If you want to go back and review here is Part 1 and Part 2, but more likely you just want to know what is the new bottom line? Here is where we now stand:

2013 Cap: $94,669,553

2013 Cash: $109,366,079

2013 Cap space: $29,830,447

2014 Cap: $99,888,929

2014 Cash:$62,774,817

Not bad. We went from $26,159,803 over the salary cap to $29,830,447 under the salary cap while reducing our cash spending by about $22 million. In doing so we reduced our 2014 payroll by nearly 17 million and created nearly 9 million in future cap room. The only players we needed to release to do it are Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Tim Tebow, Eric Smith, and Jason Smith. I’m not missing any of those players. I doubt you are either. Tebow was the only player who was removed from the 2014 roster so its not like we gutted our future to gain cap room in 2013.

We would still be able to release Mark Sanchez either in September or next year and could do the same with Santonio Holmes if he is healthy in 2013 so we don’t have any new guarantees to worry about in 2014. The only true long term commitments are Antonio Cromartie and David Harris who now become part of the roster thru at least 2015. The Jets only have 11 players under contract in 2015 so its no big deal for two players to extend beyond what may be their useful life. Remember all of these numbers include projections for the 2013 NFL Draft so this is money in excess of the rookie class. It’s a lot of spending money.

Does it mean the Jets will want to make all of these moves? No but I think the work here at least dispels the notion that GM’s did not want to touch the job because of the salary cap. If a guy sitting at a computer desk in his office can detail this plan I’d expect a GM candidate to do the same rather than coming out and blasting the organization as lost and in a “cap nightmare”. Salary cap hell is a term used for teams that are in a position where they have to release or trade contributing players because of the salary cap. The Jets were in that place in 2006 where they realistically could not keep certain players because of cap considerations. Cap hell is not a situation where you get rid of dead weight and restructure a few deals and get spending room. And please don’t tell me the Jets cap is keeping them from re-signing Revis. Revis’ asking price is what keeps the Jets and probably 27 other teams from even considering it.

The Jets structured many of these deals in preparation for this and while it will certainly take some elbow grease to get these kind of deals done it is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Harris’ proposed extension is the only one that really concerns me, even more than asking Holmes to take a paycut in 2013. He is the only person to really wield power over the Jets and have no incentive to change a thing. They may need to meet somewhere in the middle of my suggestion which could be a dealbreaker for me. Even still it leaves the Jets with more than enough cap room to get by. Well in closing I hope if you made it this far you enjoyed the read, typos and all. Feel free to leave any of your comments in any section of the articles, in the forums, email or anywhere else on the web as I’ll likely see it at some point and be able to comment on it. Go Jets!

> http://nyjetscap.com...-cap-part3.html

Archived