I can certainly see why Tangini passed on Flacco

DonCorleone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at what they have done in Baltimore though. Flacco isn't an all world QB but they have tailored their skill players around what he does well, do you really think the Jets would've done that? They have Torry Smith, Ray Rice, Jacoby Jones and Dennis Pitta, we have Holmes, an old Braylon, Shonn Greene and Chaz Schillins.

I don't doubt that you are correct. I am saying, that we move up to get Sanchez but we could have traded down to pick up Flacco. Flacco was known as a big qb with a big arm and good accuracy. But we passed for who?

Look at what they have done in Baltimore though. Flacco isn't an all world QB but they have tailored their skill players around what he does well, do you really think the Jets would've done that? They have Torry Smith, Ray Rice, Jacoby Jones and Dennis Pitta, we have Holmes, an old Braylon, Shonn Greene and Chaz Schillins.

I think we are just seeing what sort of potential this kid has... zero turnovers in the entire post-season, and how many TDs? Like 11 or 12?

Goes to show what a good QB with a very good OL and playmakers around him can accomplish.

I don't doubt that you are correct. I am saying, that we move up to get Sanchez but we could have traded down to pick up Flacco. Flacco was known as a big qb with a big arm and good accuracy. But we passed for who?

Oh he's LIGHT YEARS a better player than Sanchez is but he's not Aaron Rodgers or Brees either...

I think we are just seeing what sort of potential this kid has... zero turnovers in the entire post-season, and how many TDs? Like 11 or 12?

Goes to show what a good QB with a very good OL and playmakers around him can accomplish.

Very true.

It'll be interesting to see how Flacco's career continues to progress. They are about to lose a lot of key free agents, and the keys to the franchise (and the money that goes along with it) will be handed to him. Will he become a Drew Brees-like figure, where the Ravens are successful as long as he is there?

Flacco was hot garbage until this year, so let's not act like the Jets passed on a sure thing.

he was an interesting prospect but by no means Andrew Luck type prospect. Him going to the smaller school had people iffy on him. I liked him outta Delaware, but mostly cause I live local and saw him play a few times. His arm was freakish back then. But then again so was Jeff Georges. LOL

The moral of the Joe Flacco story is that it's much better to have a QB with elite skills and coach him up/surround him with great talent than trying to coach up a game manager with average skills into a winning QB. DO YOU HEAR THAT PEOPLE WHO WANT THE JETS TO TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH!?!?!?!?!

This.

Flacco is far from perfect but they built that offense around his strenghts and his ability to push the ball down the field. He gives them a chance to win every game.

Very true.

It'll be interesting to see how Flacco's career continues to progress. They are about to lose a lot of key free agents, and the keys to the franchise (and the money that goes along with it) will be handed to him. Will he become a Drew Brees-like figure, where the Ravens are successful as long as he is there?

The Ravens have been a lot more successful over a longer period of time than the Saints have.

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the NFL.

Flacco was hot garbage until this year, so let's not act like the Jets passed on a sure thing.

That's just simply not true. Statistically, his best year was 2010.

And if not for Lee Evans dropping a catchable ball, they probably were in the Super Bowl after he balled out last year in the playoffs.

The Ravens have been a lot more successful over a longer period of time than the Saints have.

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the NFL.

This is true, but they're about to devote about 20 % of their salary cap to Flacco. They're going to go from one of the NFL's most veteran squads to one of its youngest within the next 2 seasons. It'll be up to Flacco to guide them through that process, much like he guided them when the Ravens were battling injuries all season.

This is true, but they're about to devote about 20 % of their salary cap to Flacco. They're going to go from one of the NFL's most veteran squads to one of its youngest within the next 2 seasons. It'll be up to Flacco to guide them through that process, much like he guided them when the Ravens were battling injuries all season.

The are very young on offense though still. Their D is where all the turnover is going to happen.

What you saw yesterday were 2 QB's with great arms making some tough throws- there might go the theory of weaker arm QB's leading your team especially with not a great supporting class

You simply have to have the guy who can make all the throws. It doesn't matter how smart the guy is, only a great arm can throw into those tight windows in the NFL.

When you say a guy can "make all the throws", its not just the deep routes. Even Sanchez sometimes can make those because all it takes is a receiver who can make a circus catch from time to time. We're talking about those intermediate throws where you have to throw it into a tight spot. You need a cannon for some of those.

Big-armed QB's don't have to wait for openings. They can create them from time to time. We saw Kaepernick and Flacco both doing that time and again yesterday.

Difference is they draft Bernard Pierce and we draft Bilal Powell

Also they hire Jim Harbaugh and we hire Rex Ryan... They are on a different level of competence as a franchise...

And how many touches has he had already? Is it any wonder they turned to Pierce so much after giving Rice big money?

Rice will be good for at least 3-4 more years. Also you need 2 backs who can play in the NFL.

Yeah and he was mentioned as linked to the Jets considering that they didn't bring Favre in until training camp had already started. At that point the Jets were choosing Kellen Clemens over Flacco. LOL

Magini's roster, something something, awesome at evalutaing talent, something something, Rex ran it into the ground.

Archived