Jets Looking To Trade Tebow

JetNation

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter the New York Jets will keep Tim Tebow on the roster after the 2013 NFL league year begins on March 12th in hopes of trading the quarterback:

“The New York Jets do not plan to release quarterback Tim Tebow before the start of the new league year in March and instead will hold on to him with the hopes that they can trade him, according to league sources.”

It is difficult to see how Tebow remains on the Jets roster with the hiring of new coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and his pass heavy offense.  Tebow had a 46.5 completion percentage in 11 starts with the Denver Broncos during the 2011 season.  Traded to the Jets in March Tebow accounted for 141 yards of offense this past year.

It was believed the cash strapped Jets would release Tebow saving over $1 million on this year’s salary cap but the team is holding out hope someone will be interested in trading for the seldom used backup.

The Jets could always release Tebow at a later date, if no trading partner is found, as a likely landing spot the Jacksonville Jaguars vanished when new general manager David Caldwell said the Jaguars would not pursue Tebow in any manner.

David Caldwell said in his first press conference as the Jags GM, that he doesnt see a scenario where Tim Tebow is on the Jags roster, even if he was available as a FA.

Dont know what trade value Tebow has...maybe one of the option read teams could use him as a back up and not have to change the playbook if their starter went down. But are they really going to give up more than a 7th rounder for him? Doubt it. Doubt they give anything. But I guess anything is better than nothing.

Tebow as a passer won't fetch much, but as an athlete?

Tebow has the size, athleticism, work ethic and character to be in the NFL. I think he's more gifted than a lot of back-up TEs/FB/H-back type players and if he would work on some of these 'other' football skills he still has a place in the league.

Likely landing spot in Adam's mind..

No reasonably intelligent GM will even hint he is interested in a player likely to be dealt at this point.. that would be nuts.

Just because Caldwell said something like he doesn't see a scenario bla bla bla ..doesn't mean squat, even though I don't think Jax wants him..nor would I, as a Floridian with lots of family in Jax, and a long time Tebow supporter want him in Jax, it is a train wreck along the lines of Tampa bay.

Yeah, Tebow posted a under 50 completion percentage, and 125.6 PER against the Steelers.. in his first playoff game, no ints, threw for over 300 yds. the JETS blew it, and they continue to blow it. Wonder what kind of trade value Ol Buttfumble has ?

Not much if he comes with a 8 mill deficit.

It wasn't the FO that wanted Tebow to start in Denver it was the intelligent fanbase that wanted someone besides Orton..

keep Orton as the starter, no backing in the playoffs (like that isn't what any team that wasn't in the playoffs would have loved), start Tebow.. history.

it's amazing that the Jets took two players with reasonable value (Tebow, Sanchez) and managed to turn them both into players with absolutely no value. Sanchez is now fully engaged in a downward spiral to abysmal bust which nobody did anything to prevent and everything to expose as much as possible, and Tebow was so completely misused that he looks terrible at everything. excellent job, Jets!

Tebow as a passer won't fetch much, but as an athlete?

Tebow has the size, athleticism, work ethic and character to be in the NFL. I think he's more gifted than a lot of back-up TEs/FB/H-back type players and if he would work on some of these 'other' football skills he still has a place in the league.

Be careful. Tebow is the size of an undersized TE, yes, but he is not a natural pass catcher, understands little of blocking techniques and has never played the position. I think we saw last year when he was hit in the head with a swing pass that it is not as easy of just jamming an athlete into the position. And as for his athletic ability, it is not as super human as some would have you believe. Hayden Smith is a better athlete with better size and he has no trade value in this league, so how does Tim have any value beyond his QB skills?

The trading market for tebow- slim and none

Why giv e up a draft choice -you know the Jets will release him eventually

Exactly, but the only way they stay slim is if teams think the Jets will hold onto him. Otherwise there is no reason to offer even a 7th because teams might as well wait until he is cut March 12.

The leaks haven't stopped...

Dumb posts either.

Be careful. Tebow is the size of an undersized TE, yes, but he is not a natural pass catcher, understands little of blocking techniques and has never played the position. I think we saw last year when he was hit in the head with a swing pass that it is not as easy of just jamming an athlete into the position. And as for his athletic ability, it is not as super human as some would have you believe. Hayden Smith is a better athlete with better size and he has no trade value in this league, so how does Tim have any value beyond his QB skills?

I don't necessarily think the guy has any trade value, but that play didn't exactly prove he wasn't a natural pass catcher. All it proved was that he didn't spend much time practicing at TE that week. Sanchez didn't wait for him and I've seen Sanchez hit several players in the head, including Keller. Agree that teams won't necessarily be lining up to play him at other positions, but Tebow has shown ability to win games at QB and willlingness to play multiple positions. He will be in the NFL next year, so other than the contract, he's worth something.

There might be a dumb GM out there who takes a chance for PR or something. But as somebody else said, what are the Jets going to get? A 7th round pick. Who cares. The Jets screwed over any trade value Tebow might have had by the way the season ended. Maybe Ryan did it on purpose. Who knows. Trade or release, it doesn't really matter. The Jets are not going to get any value out of delaying this.

There might be a dumb GM out there who takes a chance for PR or something. But as somebody else said, what are the Jets going to get? A 7th round pick. Who cares. The Jets screwed over any trade value Tebow might have had by the way the season ended. Maybe Ryan did it on purpose. Who knows. Trade or release, it doesn't really matter. The Jets are not going to get any value out of delaying this.

I don't understand how the organization hasn't cracked down on these leaks yet. They already leaked that they wanted to get rid of him, what team is going to trade for him knowing he will get cut anyway once there are no takers.

Look at it from the other side. What the **** do they have to lose? They only start losing money March 12th. No reason to do anything before that. They would be stupid to do anything until then.

I don't think there has to be a leak. It's just the press figuring that the guy is due a bonus. We all know Jason Smith is getting cut. We have a pretty good idea Scott and Pace are goners. It doesn't take an insider to know these things. Get confirmation from the mailroom or janitor. Just like Sanchez staying. People aren't leaking that he will be on the team - we just know it because what else are they going to do with him? Costs too much to cut/too big to fail.

Cimini is speculating that the 49ers could be a landing spot for Revis after getting so torched in the Super Bowl.

Shefter floated the idea that the Jets could trade Revis for Alex Smith and a first round pick.

Why not toss inTim Tebow for some pot sweetner?--they need a big bodied back up for Kaepernick (and they need a replacement for Smith)...and we want to get some value for Timmy. Attaching him to Revis almost forces him on them; manufacturing value.

So we lose $1MM in cap money if we wait until March 12th to cut him? What about March 11? if so, maybe someone does want him on the cheap (salary and pick wise). All it takes is 1 team that wants dibs and I dont really believe that JAX is out. If that GM said anything it could be considered tampering. Tebow will be at least a back up QB on a roster bext year, book it.

I don't necessarily think the guy has any trade value, but that play didn't exactly prove he wasn't a natural pass catcher. All it proved was that he didn't spend much time practicing at TE that week. Sanchez didn't wait for him and I've seen Sanchez hit several players in the head, including Keller. Agree that teams won't necessarily be lining up to play him at other positions, but Tebow has shown ability to win games at QB and willlingness to play multiple positions. He will be in the NFL next year, so other than the contract, he's worth something.

The part about him not being a natural pass catcher didn't just come from that one play. I have heard it from a couple of "experts" that weighed in on his ability to play positions other than QB and he was described as not being a natural pass catcher. With his experience (or lack there of) to date at the FB/TE position, he has a long ways to go to bring any trade value as anything other than a QB.

So we lose $1MM in cap money if we wait until March 12th to cut him? What about March 11? if so, maybe someone does want him on the cheap (salary and pick wise). All it takes is 1 team that wants dibs and I dont really believe that JAX is out. If that GM said anything it could be considered tampering. Tebow will be at least a back up QB on a roster bext year, book it.

You can't have a backup who needs his own redesigned offense to be effective.

I don't think there has to be a leak. It's just the press figuring that the guy is due a bonus. We all know Jason Smith is getting cut. We have a pretty good idea Scott and Pace are goners. It doesn't take an insider to know these things. Get confirmation from the mailroom or janitor. Just like Sanchez staying. People aren't leaking that he will be on the team - we just know it because what else are they going to do with him? Costs too much to cut/too big to fail.

The Jets save over $1 million on the cap whether Tebow is cut before or after March 12th they don’t pay him until the first game of the year since he only has base salary in his contract but no team is going to pick up the deal the Jets made to pay Denver back the money they advanced Tebow, the Jets are stuck with that.

If the Jets keep Tebow around waiting for a trade they limit the money they save releasing him before a new league year and will have to be sure to be under the 2013 cap by 4:00pm March 12th, while carrying Tebow’s salary. This also limits funds available to sign free agents as long as they hold on to Tebow.

There is no bonus payment so Tebow can be released later at the same savings.

The Jets save over $1 million on the cap whether Tebow is cut before or after March 12th they don’t pay him until the first game of the year since he only has base salary in his contract but no team is going to pick up the deal the Jets made to pay Denver back the money they advanced Tebow, the Jets are stuck with that.

If the Jets keep Tebow around waiting for a trade they limit the money they save releasing him before a new league year and will have to be sure to be under the 2013 cap by 4:00pm March 12th, while carrying Tebow’s salary. This also limits funds available to sign free agents as long as they hold on to Tebow.

There is no bonus payment so Tebow can be released later at the same savings.

Even better. Then what is the rush to cut him? To sign FAs they don't want to sign before they can sign anybody? I was going off the first post, the "news report." I thought they meant he was getting some kind of a bonus for being on the team at the start of the league year, rather than just counting the cap savings.

That.

The same reason they didn't let Tebow get a chance.. Then they would have Markatross sitting around collecting cap space for nothing, ironically, he will be doing the same thing even if he starts.

San Diego is one, Rivers is Romo ver.2

Arizona.. no explanation needed.

Jax ... as per the usual "Tebow who ?"

Philly also. there are a few teams who have wtf QBs taking up space currently.. the JETS are in lock down with the 8 million dollar buttfumble man.

That.

The same reason they didn't let Tebow get a chance.. Then they would have Markatross sitting around collecting cap space for nothing, ironically, he will be doing the same thing even if he starts.

Wait.. .the Jets didn't let Tebow have a chance because they didn't want to bench Mark? Then why did they start McElroy? Confused.

I have full faith and confidence that neither Tim Tebow nor Greg McElroy will be on the 2013 New York Jets roster.

I admit, I have much less confidence that the Jets will aquire anything more than a bag of slightly used and as yet unlaundered jackstraps in exchange for Mr. Tebow.

Still, addition by subtraction.

Wait.. .the Jets didn't let Tebow have a chance because they didn't want to bench Mark? Then why did they start McElroy? Confused.

You're only confused because its comfortable there.. you know as well as anyone with a brain that Gmac was a failsafe in that situation.

I love these numbnuts articles about the whole fiasco, especially the one about Sparano not feeling confident in Tebow.. Sparano is about as stupid as the day is long.. amazing it took this long to expose that phony ass bs artist..amazing that he ended up on the JETS coaching staff ? Not really, Rex is the ..and I say this only as a point of reference, head coach of the team....

Bottom line is, the JETS are staring at a nightmarish scenario when the owner can't spot a disillusioned (to put it lightly) coach, who is content to let them celebrate 50 vulkan years without a SB appearance.. it's insane. The best thing Woody could do is hire someone else to do his job, someone who can make decisions that aren't laced with dysfunctional interests in personalities..

Rex MAY have been a decent defensive mind, just based on his family history..but that ain't gonna cut it when it comes to being a head coach. The numbers don't lie, and when it comes to evaluation of players he damn sure can't be used as a viable source of information..unless you think whatever BS he is going to feed the media/fans about Mark starting and playing the full year in 13 is real.

So to answer your question.. Do you really think Rex has the ability to make a clean decision ? I don't.. and the split tongue pundits don't have to be honest about anything in referencing the JETS activities, because who could trust anything the owners or staff says.

The worst part in all of this, is the people that made "changes" at the end of the season are still here..and they aren't credible.

I should have just answered "you're kidding right ?" You have to be..

Archived