Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah

jetfan718

Height: 6-5. Weight: 274. Arm: 34 5/8. Hand: 10.

Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

Projected Round (2013): Top-20 Pick.

2/1/13: Ansah is this year's version of Chandler Jones or Jason Pierre-Paul; great athletes with little college production who go in the first round of the draft. Like those two edge-rushers, Ansah is a tremendous athlete with a rare combination of size, speed and power.

The Senior Bowl week could be indicative of how Ansah's career will trend in the NFL. He was quiet early in the week while getting his bearings against the higher level of competition. Ansah steadily improved from there to flash his superb athletic skill with the size, power and speed to be a force. By the end of the week, he was dominant.

Ansah can beat offensive tackles with speed or power. Once he develops more pass-rushing moves and the ability to use his hands in combination with his feet, he could be deadly. The senior totaled 62 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, nine passes broken up, a forced fumble and an interception in 2012. He has exploded on the scene after making a grand total of 10 tackles as a junior and sophomore.

I've seen about 3 or 4 mocks that have us taking him with the 9th pick. Should or would we spend a high pick on this guy? Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/WMtBmOdYsqo

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can't get Mingo, or Moore I would like to trade out of the first round and get more picks we need a lot of bodies and the draft is the way to do it. I would rather trade back and get Sean Porter OLB TX A&M a guy that was productive, played the position and had success in the SEC in a later round and still get our TE, S, RB and OL that we so badly need. This is going to be a 2 to 3 year fix to get this team back to glory. Or TE, S, ILB (Kevin Reddick) to build the team. looking around the league the elite teams have dominant OL and LB corp that is where we need to build.

Depending on how the board falls...I'd take him at 9 if available...doubt we can an offensive impact player there...might as well play to our strength...then offense the rest of the way...

I can't imagine a scenario where he is NOT there at 9, or that we CAN'T get an offensive impact player. I mean, outside of QB and LT, we should have our pick of the litter when it comes to impact player on offense.

I could see Rex falling in love w/ him thinking of a larger Adalius Thomas. He's tempting but if they're gonna take a risk I'd rather Geno.

Warmack or Bernard if u want the safer pick IMO.

But Mingo, Jones, Jordan all come with some risk so why not Ansah who may be the same athlete 30 lbs larger.

Gotta wait for the Combine.

But Mingo, Jones, Jordan all come with some risk so why not Ansah who may be the same athlete 30 lbs larger.

1st off those guys produce big plays. but even more than that these guys are pass rushers and Ansah is probably a base end or a 3-4 DE. we don't see alot of 275 lb guys at linebacker. it's hard to take him and project him as an impact player with so little production. Im not saying it's impossible and yes they are gonna look at him but this dude better be ridiculous in shorts. He wasn't good at the Senior Bowl practices, he's got no moves in terms of pass rush. JPP did 16 backflips how many does Ansah have to do?

1st off those guys produce big plays. but even more than that these guys are pass rushers and Ansah is probably a base end or a 3-4 DE. we don't see alot of 275 lb guys at linebacker. it's hard to take him and project him as an impact player with so little production. Im not saying it's impossible and yes they are gonna look at him but this dude better be ridiculous in shorts. He wasn't good at the Senior Bowl practices, he's got no moves in terms of pass rush. JPP did 16 backflips how many does Ansah have to do?

More or less you probably want your 34 end around 290-300, your 43 end around 270-280 and your 34OLB around 255-265. Like I said it could depend on his skills at the combine, then, is it better having Ansah lose 5-10 if need be or asking Mingo or Jordan to gain 10-15.

IMO there aren't that any Top 10 "impact" offense players that will be available to us when we pick, other than Joeckel and he'll be long gone. Everyone else is a Top 20 or later. I can't see us reaching for a QB or RB with our pick, nor should we. Without a doubt I think we go defense and if not then trade down, but I do like Ansah, if he can drop 10 lbs. with his athleticism and Rex's coaching, I think we have a dominant presence at OLB.

More or less you probably want your 34 end around 290-300, your 43 end around 270-280 and your 34OLB around 255-265. Like I said it could depend on his skills at the combine, then, is it better having Ansah lose 5-10 if need be or asking Mingo or Jordan to gain 10-15.

lose 10 pounds and learn how to play football. Whew. It's a tall order for 9 overall. Sounds more like the risk of a 2nd rounder.

just me jarvis jones is the guy I wouldnt pass on. His medicals would have to be shockingly bad.

lose 10 pounds and learn how to play football. Whew. It's a tall order for 9 overall. Sounds more like the risk of a 2nd rounder.

just me jarvis jones is the guy I wouldnt pass on. His medicals would have to be shockingly bad.

jones is the guy id definitely pass on. i hear he has spinal stenosis and i know personally friends who couldnt play college ball because of it. heck didnt a manning stop playing football because of it. At 9 im not taking a guy whose career may end at 25.

jones is the guy id definitely pass on. i hear he has spinal stenosis and i know personally friends who couldnt play college ball because of it. heck didnt a manning stop playing football because of it. At 9 im not taking a guy whose career may end at 25.

supposedly gronk has it as does others

here's an awesome link with the Jets doctors saying it's no issue. Jan 23

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2013-01-23/the-nfl-beat-spinal-stenosis/

supposedly gronk has it as does others

here's an awesome link with the Jets doctors saying it's no issue. Jan 23

http://www.austinchr...pinal-stenosis/

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition. These are all offensive players. It's their job to avoid contact, or in the case of the two LTs, initiate it from close distances.

Perhaps ALL NFL players are at an equal risk for paralysis, but one would think that an aggressive tackling machine like Jarvis Jones is at greater risk, as it's his job to deliver jarring hits. Besides, 6'2, 240 isn't even ideal size for our OLBs, he would have to play the Maybin/Irvin role.

This kid will be fun to watch, but I suspect he'll reallly peak right before his first contract extension...

and then determine that his health is more important than football.

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition. These are all offensive players. It's their job to avoid contact, or in the case of the two LTs, initiate it from close distances.

the operative phrase is pro bowler i'd rather have a guy awesome for 3-4 years than a guy who was never awesome at all.

and by the way this isn't what you or I would do. Note that the Jets doctors are quoted in this article. the jets never fail anyone for medical reasons. Drob and vilma were both red flagged on certain other team's boards. The team changes GMs and coaches but it's the same doctors more or less, and jarvis jones is gonna have to be diagnosed with leprosy for him to fail a Jets physical.

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition.

It's not just ultimately that we have to worry about. Stenosis is bad enough. Unlike McNeill, who played basically every game in college, Jones has already had complications. I think after the combine he's going to be off a bunch of boards.

The dude is a ticking time bomb and he's going to be an old rookie to boot. I don't care if the team doctor is James Woods. Drafting a guy because you hope he can last three years is insane.

I don't mind that he's an "old" rookie. The issue here is that he is a high risk/high reward player. Drafting those players has gotten us in the position we are in. If we HIT, great. We can't afford to MISS.

the risk is ok at 9 because Jarvis Jones is probably the best defender in the draft. If he's totally clean he goes 2 like Von Miller. They aren't reaching like Ansah pick likely would be.

the idea that he has to be a 10x pro bowler instead of a 5x pro bowl is counting chickens.

the risk is ok at 9 because Jarvis Jones is probably the best defender in the draft. If he's totally clean he goes 2 like Von Miller. They aren't reaching like Ansah pick likely would be.

Jones is either not there or not draftable. Ansah I just don't get. Like the whole case for the guy is Jason Pierre-Paul this, Jason Pierre Paul that, but JPP didn't go top ten himself and Ansah doesn't really even look like he's in that class as an athlete anyway.

I don't think Jones is as good a prospect as Von Miller. There's similarities sure, but Miller included top shelf athleticism and speed.

if he runs well he's von Miller if he doesn't he's Terrell Suggs. Either way the dude dominated the SEC and he plays a position the Jets currently have Garrett McIntyre and no one as starters.

I don't mind that he's an "old" rookie. The issue here is that he is a high risk/high reward player. Drafting those players has gotten us in the position we are in. If we HIT, great. We can't afford to MISS.

Exactly. I'm surprised at many are interested in Ansah for the same reason. Project guys like Hill and Ducasse haven't had any immediate impact here. And there's no guarantee they ever will. I don't want a project. I want a solid, safe, building block type pick. There are a few of these available at WR and OL, particularly in areas of need like RT and OG. There are also some less risky running backs. A decent QB can be taken in the later rounds as a "project" guy with time to understudy for a year.

Ok. Can he cover?

interesting question. he's not incompetent at it (has 1 career int and 5 career pass breakups) but almost all

of his usage is as a pass rusher (25 career sacks, 10 hurries) all in only 26 games. they aren't drafting an OLB at 9 to cover...

• 3 weeks later...

Jones is either not there or not draftable. Ansah I just don't get. Like the whole case for the guy is Jason Pierre-Paul this, Jason Pierre Paul that, but JPP didn't go top ten himself and Ansah doesn't really even look like he's in that class as an athlete anyway.

I dunno man, I think Ansah compares pretty favorably to JPP and feel if he runs in the 4.7 or lower he'll definitely go top ten, maybe even higher.  They're all practically the same size around 6'5" 270 (both running 4.7s) and freaks athletically, having all played multiple sports.  JPP didn't go 15 as you said, but with his success he sort of paved the way for Aldon Smith being taken 7th overall the following year, who was their years JPP and this years Ansah.  

The buzz around the combine is very hot for Ansah right now too:

NFL draft insider Tony Pauline passes along "word" that the Steelers are "drooling over" BYU DE Ziggy Ansah.
Ansah would play rush 'backer in Pittsburgh's 3-4. The buzz on Ansah is hot in Indy, as Lions GM Martin Mayhew characterized him as a "freak athletically" with "tremendous upside." Ansah seems unlikely to be available when the Steelers draft at No. 17 overall, and they're not a team known for trading up.
Related: Lions, Steelers
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter Feb 22 - 4:32 PM

Archived