Who y'all like in 2013 Draft for Jets?

SouthernJet

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RB:

- Nevada's Stepfon Jefferson, a sleeper. Strong, good pass catcher. Late rounds.

I asked my cousin about this guy. He's in Reno and was big on Kaepernick coming out, though he said the kid was a stick figure compared to now. Here is what he said:

Nevada running back? Very productive ......BUT he should stay in school. He isn't an athletic freak, I think he is looked @ as more of product of the system right now. Another year could dispel that.

Nevada players put up insane numbers. The back before him Vai Tua did, he is not playing on Sundays.

I say no chance of this happening. But if I did. This message board would be either awesome or un-readable. LOL

Both.

When I think of those guys I think of good RBs who could play in any system.

Is it possible that the board allows flaying of the next poster who imagines that Mornhinweg's offenses some special kind of good/skilled player and tosses out the WCO stuff?

Nothing against you Stonehands, I'm on a crusade here.

How could I take offense when I don't understand what you said?

It's all just guess work for now but if there and excluding Joeckel, Moore, Milliner and Star fwiw

Round 1:

QB: Smith

RB: Bernard

WR: Allen

TE: -

OL: Warmack OG; Fisher OT

DL: Hankins, Williams

OLB/DE: Mingo, Jordan, Ansah, Jones, Werner

ILB: -

CB: -

S: Vacarro

Round 2 (if there):

QB: Nassib, Wilson, Bray

RB: Lacy, Taylor, Ball, Jamison, Ellington

WR: Hopkins, Austin, Goodwin, Weaton, Patton, Woods

TE: Eifert, Ertz

OL: Warford OG; Fluker OT; Jones

DL: Floyd, Williams, Logan

OLB/DE: Montgomery, Okafor, Carradine, Jones

ILB: Te'o, Minter

CB: Ryan, Rhodes

S: Elam, Swearinger, Reid

Round 3 (if there):

QB: Manuel, Dysert, Glennon, Jones

RB: Bell, Michael, Riddick,

WR: Dobson, Bailey

TE: Reed, Sims

OL: Aboushi, Mills, Nixon

DL: Hunt

OLB/DE:

CB: Big group of talent, not sure who's still left

S: Thomas, Williams, Rambo, Wolff, Jefferson, Lester, McDonald, Cyprien

2013 NFL Draft: Top five prospects at every offensive position

• bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

At the conclusion of Super Bowl XLVII, coaches and scouts across the NFL immediately turned their attention to the 2013 NFL Draft. Team officials are busy at work this week putting together their initial draft boards heading into the NFL Scouting Combine. While much attention within each organization goes to the vertical board, which features the top 150 to 200 prospects in the draft, the scouts spend the majority of their time working through rankings on the position-specific or horizontal board.

With coaches and scouts starting to project which players are the best fits for their respective squads, I thought I'd take a look at the top five prospects at each offensive position to give you a peek at some of the conversations that are taking place in draft rooms across the league.

Click here for the top five prospects at each defensive position.

Quarterback

1) Geno Smith, West Virginia

2) Matt Barkley, USC

3) Mike Glennon, N.C. State

4) Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

5) E.J. Manuel, Florida State

In the mix: Tyler Bray, Tennessee;Landry Jones, Oklahoma; Ryan Nassib, Syracuse.

The 2013 class of quarterbacks is short on star power, but features several intriguing prospects with tremendous potential. Smith currently ranks as the top choice at the position, largely due to his impressive combination of arm talent, leadership and poise. While some suggest Smith lacks the pizzazz to emerge as a franchise quarterback, the film from his early-season play reveals a polished passer with the capacity to fit into any offensive system. Bray could join the top-five list based on his exceptional physical tools, but scouts are leery about his immaturity and off-field decisions. However, a strong performance in meeting rooms at the NFL Scouting Combine could alleviate those concerns and put him back in play as a potential franchise quarterback.

Running back

1) Giovani Bernard, North Carolina

2) Eddie Lacy, Alabama

3) Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State

4) Montee Ball, Wisconsin

5) Andre Ellington, Clemson

In the mix: Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State; Stepfan Taylor, Stanford; Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina; Jonathan Franklin, UCLA.

The running back class took a major blow when Lattimore suffered a catastrophic injury in late October. The Gamecocks star will remain on the radar of teams looking for a value pick in the middle rounds, but his injury opens the door for Lacy or Bernard to emerge as the top pick at the position. Lacy created quite a buzz in league circles with his dominant performance in the BCS National Championship Game. He displayed impressive quickness and burst, while maintaining the rugged running style that scouts covet in a big back. Bernard, on the other hand, is a scat back with explosive speed and quickness. Factor in his ability to contribute as a receiver and returner, and Bernard is a legitimate difference maker at the position.

Wide receiver

1) Keenan Allen, Cal

2) Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

3) Robert Woods, USC

4) DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

5) Terrance Williams, Baylor

In the mix: Tavon Austin, West Virginia;Justin Hunter, Tennessee; Markus Wheaton, Oregon State; Aaron Dobson, Marshall; Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech.

Teams in need of explosive playmakers on the perimeter will have plenty of options to choose from in the 2013 class. The group is loaded with big, physical pass catchers with the ability to thrive as No. 1 receivers. Allen missed the last part of the season with a knee injury, but he is the most complete receiver in the draft, boasting a rock-solid all-around game with impressive physical tools. Patterson was arguably the most explosive receiver in college football in his only season at the major college level. He scored touchdowns in four different ways (receiving, rushing, punt and kick returns), while displaying enticing skills with the ball in his hands.

Tight end

1) Zach Ertz, Stanford

2) Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

3) Gavin Escobar, San Diego State

4) Jordan Reed, Florida

5) Travis Kelce, Cincinnati

In the mix: Dion Sims, Michigan State; Ryan Otten, San Jose State; Michael Williams, Alabama.

The tight end position has become the spot where NFL teams seek to create mismatches in the passing game. With offensive coordinators seeking versatile athletes to man the position, the 2013 class offers plenty of options for teams looking to find difference makers over the middle of the field. Ertz is at the top of the list with his big body and soft hands. He has the capacity to stretch the field on vertical routes, but is also adept at working the underneath areas of the field. Escobar is underrated at this point, but scouts have been buzzing about his immense talent and potential. Expect him to rise up the charts after coaches and scouts get a closer look at him at the combine.

Offensive tackle

1) Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

2) Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

3) Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

4) D.J. Fluker, Alabama

5) Kyle Long, Oregon

In the mix: Oday Aboushi, Virginia;Dallas Thomas, Tennessee; Menelik Watson, Florida State.

Franchise-caliber offensive tackles are still valued at a premium. Joeckel is aPro Bowler waiting to happen with his exceptional footwork and athleticism. He is not only the best tackle prospect in the draft, but there are some scouts who believe he's the best overall player in the 2013 class. Fisher earned rave reviews for his performance in the Senior Bowl. In fact, he was so dominant in Mobile, Ala., that some view him as a potential top-10 pick.

Centers/Guards

1) Chance Warmack, Alabama

2) Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

3) Barrett Jones, Alabama

4) Justin Pugh, Syracuse

5) Travis Frederick, Wisconsin

In the mix: Larry Warford, Kentucky; Khaled Holmes, USC; Brian Winters, Kent State.

Offensive guards aren't typically coveted in the early rounds, but the 2013 class features a few special players in this area. Warmack and Cooper are game changers on the interior; scouts can't stop raving about their ability to dominate the middle of the line. Warmack, in particular, is a sturdy blocker with the size, strength and power to move defenders off the ball. Cooper is surprisingly athletic for his size, but also displays the strength and power to excel as a drive blocker.

2013 NFL Draft: Top five prospects at every defensive position

• bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

At the conclusion of Super Bowl XLVII, coaches and scouts across the NFL immediately turned their attention to the 2013 NFL Draft. Team officials are busy this week putting together their initial draft boards ahead of the NFL Scouting Combine. While much attention within each organization goes to the vertical board, which features the top 150 to 200 prospects in the draft, the scouts spend the majority of their time working through rankings on the position-specific or horizontal board.

With coaches and scouts starting to project which players are the best fits for their respective squads, I thought I'd take a look at the top five prospects at every defensive position to give you an idea of the conversations that are taking place in draft rooms across the league.

Click here for the top five prospects at each offensive position.

Defensive end

1) Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

2) Bjoern Werner, Florida State

3) Barkevious Mingo, LSU

4) Dion Jordan, Oregon

5) Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

In the mix: Sam Montgomery, LSU; Datone Jones, UCLA;Corey Lemonier, Auburn; Alex Okafor, Texas; Margus Hunt, SMU.

It's not hard to find capable rushers in the 2013 draft class. From Moore to Ansah, the defensive end position is loaded with athletic edge players possessing the speed and quickness to wreak havoc in the pocket. Werner, a former German exchange student with just two years of high school experience, has a limited football background, but he could be the best of the bunch. Scouts familiar with him rave about his first-step quickness and relentless motor.

Defensive tackles

1) Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

2) Star Lotulelei, Utah

3) Sharrif Floyd, Florida

4) Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

5) Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

In the mix: Jesse Williams, Alabama; Kawann Short, Purdue; John Jenkins, Georgia; Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern.

The deepest collection of talent in the 2013 class is unquestionably at the defensive tackle position. Lotulelei ranks as the top defensive tackle on several boards across the league, but Richardson is a more talented defender with better athleticism and a higher-revving motor. Their battle will certainly intensify over the coming months as scouts dig deeper into the tape and begin to separate production from reputation. Sylvester Williams and Short were strong performers during Senior Bowl week; their stock will continue to rise during the workout circuit.

Outside linebackers

1) Jarvis Jones, Georgia

2) Alec Ogletree, Georgia

3) Khaseem Greene, Rutgers

4) Arthur Brown, Kansas State

5) Sio Moore, Connecticut

In the mix: Gerald Hodges, Penn State; Chase Thomas, Stanford; Sean Porter, Texas A&M.

The job description for outside linebackers has certainly changed in recent years, with the proliferation of the 3-4 and the use of exotic sub-packages on passing downs becoming increasingly popular with defensive coordinators. Teams want outside linebackers with rush skills and run-and-chase ability. Jones is a dynamic playmaker off the edge with the speed and quickness to create chaos. He totaled 26.5 sacks in two seasons in the SEC, displaying the kinds of game-changing skills routinely associated with top-five talents. Moore has flown under the radar for most of the season, but his spectacular play at the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl has scouts intrigued about his disruptive potential at the next level.

Inside linebackers

1) Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

2) Kevin Minter, LSU

3) Kiko Alonso, Oregon

4) Kevin Reddick, North Carolina

5) Jon Bostic, Florida

In the mix: Vince Williams, Florida State; Nico Johnson, Alabama; A.J. Klein, Iowa State.

Inside linebackers aren't viewed in the same light as players at higher-profile defensive positions like pass rusher or cornerback, but defensive coordinators still covet athletic playmakers with superb instincts in the middle. Te'o certainly fits the bill, based on his stellar play throughout the regular season. However, a disappointing showing at the BCS National Championship Game led to concerns about his athleticism and mobility. Factor in the saga of the girlfriend "hoax" and scouts might hesitate to entrust the keys of the defense with the Heisman Trophy finalist.

Cornerbacks

1) Dee Milliner, Alabama

2) Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

3) Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State

4) Desmond Trufant, Washington

5) Logan Ryan, Rutgers

In the mix: Jordan Poyer, Oregon State; Jamar Taylor, Boise State; David Amerson, N.C. State; Darius Slay, Mississippi State; Robert Alford, Southeast Louisiana.

Every defensive coordinator in the NFL would love to have a shutdown corner in his lineup, but cover men with the skills to blanket elite receivers without getting occasional help from a linebacker or safety are tough to find. Milliner has been classified as a shutdown corner, but is truly a solid No. 1 cover man with the capacity to play in any scheme. Trufant has been climbing up the charts following a solid week at the Senior Bowl. Scouts fell in love with his ultra-competitive personality and fluid movement skills.

Safeties

1) Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

2) Matt Elam (SS), Florida

3) Eric Reid, LSU

4) Phillip Thomas, Fresno State

5) John Cyprien (SS), Florida International

In the mix: Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma;T.J. McDonald, USC; Bacarri Rambo, Georgia; Duke Williams (SS), Nevada.

Versatility is the name of the game at the safety position; scouts are searching for athletic defenders who can play in the box or in space. Vaccaro has shown the athleticism, instincts and ball skills to emerge as the ideal hybrid player in the back end. He has capably covered slot receivers and tight ends while displaying the toughness to be a factor near the line of scrimmage. Thomas is a natural center fielder with exceptional ball skills and instincts.

I like to see the Jets move down and take the best RB in the draft and a other pick

agree.

Thast why I like Gio Bernard. He is #1 or #2 on all RB boards, but he is best pass catcher of them all (fits our new WCO) and is a beast on punt returns

agree.

Thast why I like Gio Bernard. He is #1 or #2 on all RB boards, but he is best pass catcher of them all (fits our new WCO) and is a beast on punt returns

I agree that we need a punt returner. I'm not sure they will be burning what would be their de facto #1 RB back there though. Punt returner is a strange skill. The Jets have had plenty of guys that were supposed to be good/great punt returners that didn't pan out. Wilson for one.

I agree that we need a punt returner. I'm not sure they will be burning what would be their de facto #1 RB back there though. Punt returner is a strange skill. The Jets have had plenty of guys that were supposed to be good/great punt returners that didn't pan out. Wilson for one.

If they draft Gio I'm pretty sure he starts his career as a Sproles type,,He will compete w/Kerley to see who returns punts,,Gio will win ;)

id take lattimore if hes there in round 5 or above

idk if there is any real demand for him though

he might not get drafted. didn't look that great before the 2nd injury and now... who knows.

I just want to reiterate the name Keenan Allen. if there's a position on this team worse than WR last year, I don't know what it is. Even Sanchez at QB was better than Clyde Gates, Jason Hill, Chaz Schiliens etc.

he might not get drafted. didn't look that great before the 2nd injury and now... who knows.

I just want to reiterate the name Keenan Allen. if there's a position on this team worse than WR last year, I don't know what it is. Even Sanchez at QB was better than Clyde Gates, Jason Hill, Chaz Schiliens etc.

lol true then 7th round pick id love it.

Those wrs arnt are supposed starters though. Holmes Hill Kerley Bray in front

Those wrs arnt are supposed starters though. Holmes Hill Kerley Bray in front

Stephen Hill can't catch and can't run routes. Santonio is likely on his last year as a Jet (and coming off of extremely serious lis franc multiple surgeries). Braylon was a shell of a player when he came back.

Kerley is the only name they can realistically build a WCO around.

Stephen Hill can't catch and can't run routes. Santonio is likely on his last year as a Jet (and coming off of extremely serious lis franc multiple surgeries). Braylon was a shell of a player when he came back.

well whomever is the qb won't be able to complete a pass on his back - OL is a need which has been addressed correctly in years...

Holmes I agree with you on. This will be his last year here. Not even sure he will recover this year from the injury.

Edwards was injured the last two years. Really wants to be here. Big question mark on him, but he should be brought back.

C’mon on Hill. WAY to early to throw him in the trash Everyone knew he was a major project when drafted. I didn’t want him because of that. He is here, and he is talented. Route running can be taught. He can be taught to use his hands and get separation from jams at the line. The bad hands are a concern, that’s an emotional thing, needs to focus. Some learn, some don’t

From what I’ve seen in interviews kid seems to be a hard worker with a good attitude. If he is smart he will spend his time this off season in a program like TEST, or something similar. Still have a lot of hope for the kid.

Kerley is a player.

Quite a few promising WR’s in the mid rounds, Jets need to get lucky on one

agreed that our wrs were terrible but if santonio comes back healthy, we resign braylon, have kerley in the slot and hill improves a lilttle and is #4 i dont think that is too bad. Dont mind drafting a wr in mid rounds tho. quick question..why do you guys think its santonios last year? I mean I hate the guy too, but didnt he just sign a 5 year contract?

agreed that our wrs were terrible but if santonio comes back healthy, we resign braylon, have kerley in the slot and hill improves a lilttle and is #4 i dont think that is too bad. Dont mind drafting a wr in mid rounds tho. quick question..why do you guys think its santonios last year? I mean I hate the guy too, but didnt he just sign a 5 year contract?

This year the Jets save $1,250,000 if they release him. They are probably going to need him if he is healthy.

Next year they save $8,250,000. Bye

C’mon on Hill. WAY to early to throw him in the trash Everyone knew he was a major project when drafted. I didn’t want him because of that. He is here, and he is talented. Route running can be taught. He can be taught to use his hands and get separation from jams at the line. The bad hands are a concern, that’s an emotional thing, needs to focus. Some learn, some don’t

From what I’ve seen in interviews kid seems to be a hard worker with a good attitude. If he is smart he will spend his time this off season in a program like TEST, or something similar. Still have a lot of hope for the kid.

im not throwing hill in the trash but he's not a player that the jets would have selected, had they been running a WCO 2 years ago. The west coast offense is all about precise routes. He's a multi-year project. they need more, whether that's in rd 1 or beyond i'll bet cash money the Jets use a draft pick at WR.

im not throwing hill in the trash but he's not a player that the jets would have selected, had they been running a WCO 2 years ago. The west coast offense is all about precise routes. He's a multi-year project. they need more, whether that's in rd 1 or beyond i'll bet cash money the Jets use a draft pick at WR.

I agree the Jets will draft a WR.

I’d bet it won’t be at least until the 3rd.

Personally I wouldn’t be stunned if the Jets go LB, LB, then all O

agree on getting a WCO WR, but its also a reason why I love Gio Bernard..great RB, great pass catcher out of backfield and getting YAC. Add in super punt returner.

Perfect fit for WCO scheme and a hole in Jets arsenal. When was last time we ran successful screen plays?

When i watched Demaryius Thomas in his rookie year he looked lost and then IIRC got injured. Then he comes back in his second year and does quite a few things. And this season he was in total beast mode. Both Hill and DT went to Georgia Tech. If you look at Hill's and DT's rookie year they both put up similar numbers. But DT had Orton throwing to him. The fact that Hill got those numbers with Sanchez is quite remarkable.

So i am not given up on him as yet. Before i do I would love to see how he does this season and if he is anywhere around average then I would like to see how he shapes up in 2014 before sending him to the Gholston School of Truck Drivers!

So i am not given up on him as yet.

i am not giving up on him either but long term the Jets have Kerley, Hill and no one. it's not exactly a reason to avoid WR in the draft. it's one of the thinnest positions on the team. most good teams have multiple options

i am not giving up on him either but long term the Jets have Kerley, Hill and no one. it's not exactly a reason to avoid WR in the draft. it's one of the thinnest positions on the team. most good teams have multiple options

Allen is a really exciting player and I haven't heard anything that makes it seem like the knee is a problem going forward. Seems like fine value at 9 plus it doesn't really preclude doubling down later on because there's going to be crazy value at the position in round 3/4/5.

agree on getting a WCO WR, but its also a reason why I love Gio Bernard..great RB, great pass catcher out of backfield and getting YAC. Add in super punt returner.

Perfect fit for WCO scheme and a hole in Jets arsenal. When was last time we ran successful screen plays?

He sounds like a good RB , does he have breakaway speed , the Jets don't need another slow running back but I think the Jets stay at 9 and go defence

Allen is a really exciting player and I haven't heard anything that makes it seem like the knee is a problem going forward. Seems like fine value at 9 plus it doesn't really preclude doubling down later on because there's going to be crazy value at the position in round 3/4/5.

it's a very deep year at WR. they don't necessarily have to do it early.

the guy from NFL.com daniel jeremiah had Cordelle Patterson at 9 that would be a less polished higher upside pick but those are the two names at the top of the board.

Archived