28. DEN - Jonathon Hankins, DT

29. NE - Tavon Austin, WR

30. ATL - Travis Kelce, TE

31. SF- Jesse WIlliams, DL

32. BAL- DJ Swearinger, S

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the board falls that way it looks like the sweet spot of the first round is really picks 15-20. Given the little run on OT's two picks away from us we could be in prime position to find a trade down partner.

At the #9 spot in this mock, we have our pick of: B Werner, Jarvis Jones, and both remaining top-3 OTs (Fisher and Johnson).

Miami, who in this mock selects a LT has 2-2nd round picks, and 2-3rd round picks. They might be tempted to leap-frog San Diego (who's expected to kick Jared Gaithers out the door) and get the guy they want...esp, if Jake Long takes off in free agency. Compensation wouldn't have to be extravagant, and we could still land our pick out of (Werner, Jones, Jordan, Warmack, Ziggy, Keenan, Austin, etc).

Sidenote: the author of this mock makes special note of the last two safeties drafted, saying commisioner Gordell is NOT going to like this safety class. Couple guys drafted in the first that I haven't heard of.

-Jonathon Cyprien, S, apparently an "interchangeable physical saftey, with range and aggression"

-DJ Swearinger, S, who delivers "jarring hits" from either safety spot.

Obviously Werner isn't actually going to be there at 9, but I'm pretty sure if he is there's no way the Jets are even thinking about Jarvis Jones.

yeah I agree with that... note that Mingo goes 2 in this mock. We were debating him at 9. This is a really polarizing prospect. I think he could go really really high if he runs well. but the question remains if he's this 4.4 guy why doesn't have more sacks? Personally think Werner is really low risk. Like Chris Long but without a dad in the HOF.

yeah I agree with that... note that Mingo goes 2 in this mock. We were debating him at 9. This is a really polarizing prospect. I think he could go really really high if he runs well. but the question remains if he's this 4.4 guy why doesn't have more sacks? Personally think Werner is really low risk. Like Chris Long but without a dad in the HOF.

What I like about Bark Mingo going #2 is that he actually fits their defense. Having him play the 7-technique or 9-technique is where he'll shine. Bringing a slight-of-frame pass rusher here to play OLB is rolling dice.

I'm not even sure I'd pull the trigger on Werner...I'd try to trade down with him on a pedastil.

Sidenote: the author of this mock makes special note of the last two safeties drafted, saying commisioner Gordell is NOT going to like this safety class. Couple guys drafted in the first that I haven't heard of.

-Jonathon Cyprien, S, apparently an "interchangeable physical saftey, with range and aggression"

-DJ Swearinger, S, who delivers "jarring hits" from either safety spot.

You never heard of Cyprien? I don't know much about him, but he was apparently looking good at the Senior Bowl. I think he won Best DB or whatever award they have. From Florida International. Not a powerhouse school, but they've put some players in the league. I thought he'd be a nice prospect for the Jets from what I read, but that was when they were talking mid-rounds.

What I like about Bark Mingo going #2 is that he actually fits their defense. Having him play the 7-technique or 9-technique is where he'll shine. Bringing a slight-of-frame pass rusher here to play OLB is rolling dice.

I'm not even sure I'd pull the trigger on Werner...I'd try to trade down with him on a pedastil.

I want to start building an offense so badly after watchin the Super Bowl and seeing dominant Olines, dominant recievers, dominant running backs, and above-average QB play. The Jets have none of that. There is not a single aspect of the game where our team could swap a unit with the 9ers or Ravens and still have a chance at winning. Wr...nope, Rb....nope, OL...nope, TE...nope, Qb...hell nope. That being said...Bjoern Werner is he one guy I'd make an exception for. He's the right kind of player with an awesome skillset and high motor..a solid guy in love with football and willing to throw his body into every tackle. He's the Anti-Coples, and could have a good impact on QC. If he's there at 9, he's a Jet if I'm picking.

There is not a single aspect of the game where our team could swap a unit with the 9ers or Ravens and still have a chance at winning. OL...nope,

the oL gets crapped on but let's be real they are about as good as teh Ravens unit. Mangold and Yanda cancel each other out. Brick is a better left tackle than Oher and McKinnie. Moore and Osemele are about a wash on the field (osemele is much younger). obviously Austin and Slauson aren't great but yes the Ravens could have the Jets OL and still win the Super Bowl. Neither the Ravens nor the Jets have as good a unit as the Niners... but the Niners also lost so at a certain point having a great OL isn't as important as having a good OL and many other pieces.

Playing 7- and 9-technique is exactly what Mingo would be doing for us. Don't get hung up on terminology.

There are zero offensive prospects in this draft that are anywhere near as good as Werner is. He's at the top of the Jets' board for sure.

Warmack is who they should be taking. Werner would play a position they have just drafted two guys at the last 2 years and he's not going to be the impact pass rusher the Jets need.

No, the knock on Coples is that he was raw and had questionable work ethic. I happen to think Coples will be a good one, especially when contract time comes around ala Bryan Thomas. Werner will play balls out for a handshake and a ham sandwich.

But you can't trade Coples for Werner. You have to roll with coples and stop drafting 3-4 ends.

No Manti Te'o in the first???? I understand him falling, but out of the first round??? I don't think the Ravens pass on him if he falls to 32.

Te'o belongs in the 2nd round. There are other good ILB like Kevin Minter and Alex Ogletree... with far less baggage. No team can trot T'eo out for a press conference as a 1st round pick right now. Besides the fact he was terrible against Bama.

Te'o belongs in the 2nd round. There are other good ILB like Kevin Minter and Alex Ogletree... with far less baggage. No team can trot T'eo out for a press conference as a 1st round pick right now. Besides the fact he was terrible against Bama.

He's probably getting undervalued but I don't want him here.

Werner would play a position they have just drafted two guys at the last 2 years and he's not going to be the impact pass rusher the Jets need.

Wilkerson and Coples would be reasons not to draft somebody like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Werner plays a completely different position. You're probably right that he wouldn't be much of a pass rusher if we tried to make him a tackle for some reason.

the oL gets crapped on but let's be real they are about as good as teh Ravens unit. Mangold and Yanda cancel each other out. Brick is a better left tackle than Oher and McKinnie. Moore and Osemele are about a wash on the field (osemele is much younger). obviously Austin and Slauson aren't great but yes the Ravens could have the Jets OL and still win the Super Bowl. Neither the Ravens nor the Jets have as good a unit as the Niners... but the Niners also lost so at a certain point having a great OL isn't as important as having a good OL and many other pieces.

Oher and McKinnie are the tacklesD'brick and Austin are our tackles. You call that even?

The Niners and Ravens have invested heavily in Oline. An article on the subject from a Chicago area paper:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130130/sports/701309795/

The discrepancy at the position between the Bears and the two conference champions isn't primarily the result of good coaching — it's the result of a firmer commitment to investing in the "big uglies" up front who don't get much of the credit but are greatly responsible for their team's offensive success.

Playoff teams such as the 49ers and the Ravens have invested heavily in the big bodies who protect the skill-position guys.

The Bears have not.

While the Bears have devoted a total of two picks in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft over the last 10 years to offensive linemen, the Ravens and the 49ers have made the O-line a priority.

The 49ers used two first-round picks in 2010 alone on offensive linemen, taking tackle Anthony Davis with the 11th overall pick and guard Mike Iupati with the 17th overall selection. Both players will start Sunday, along with a 2007 first-round pick, left tackle Joe Staley.

Over that same 10 years that the Bears largely ignored offensive linemen in the early rounds, the 49ers used four first-round picks, three second-round picks and a third-round pick on offensive linemen.

The Ravens have used seven draft picks in the first three rounds on offensive linemen in the last 10 years. Of their five starters Sunday, they drafted one in each of the first three rounds, and a fourth, Bryant McKinnie, was a first-round pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2002.

The Bears countered by drafting 10 offensive linemen in 10 years, but six of them were chosen in the seventh and final round.

Wilkerson and Coples would be reasons not to draft somebody like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Werner plays a completely different position. You're probably right that he wouldn't be much of a pass rusher if we tried to make him a tackle for some reason.

No he doesn't. He would be a 34 end, just like Coples and Wilkerson. It makes no sense.

No, the knock on Coples is that he was raw and had questionable work ethic. I happen to think Coples will be a good one, especially when contract time comes around ala Bryan Thomas. Werner will play balls out for a handshake and a ham sandwich.

I don't remember anything on Coples being raw. He was moved all over the DL in college and produced at all the spots. His knock was that he didn't seem to go 100% all the time.

Werner brings his lunch pail to work as he dissects the defense with his intellect, while Coples was the lazy but otherwise prototypical athlete. Strip that drivel (easy to do considering its based on non-quantifiable, second and third hand info) from the scouting reports and Coples was a guy with a ton of experience, a ton of production, he had played every position on the DL, and he was amongst the best athletes in the draft.

I thought Werner improved his athleticism this year by dropping his weight so I'm interested to see what he does at combine.

Oher and McKinnie are the tacklesD'brick and Austin are our tackles. You call that even?

The Niners and Ravens have invested heavily in Oline. An article on the subject from a Chicago area paper:

Dbrick is the best tackle out of the 4 (easily). It's about even. Also the Jets have invested in OL with Brick, Mangold rd1 and Vlad rd2. Chicago is an example of a terrible OL. the Jets are closer to the Niners than the Bears.

Werner brings his lunch pail to work as he dissects the defense with his intellect, while Coples was the lazy but otherwise prototypical athlete.

Werner isn't gonna be there at 9, and unlike the dozen other times I said it, I mean it this time. He's almost everyone's 1 or 2 on big board. Meanwhile Geno Smith isn't even in Gil Brandt's top 25 (or Kipers, Or Russ Lande's etc). There's gonna be a run on DE and no QB's picked before the Jets slot, that's just how I see it.

Dbrick is the best tackle out of the 4 (easily). It's about even. Also the Jets have invested in OL with Brick, Mangold rd1 and Vlad rd2. Chicago is an examplwe of a terrible OL. the Jets are closer to the Niners than the Bears.

while i agree dbrick is the best tackle of the four, we r discussing two positions one good tackle doesnt cancel out a bad one. oher anf mckinnie are the more successful pair becaus3 neither is a liability. regardless, the point was that we should still be in the market for an olineman in rds 1 thru 3. ducasse didnt work out amd brick and mangold were drafted in 2007

y

regardless, the point was that we should still be in the market for an olineman in rds 1 thru 3.

nah. too many other holes. both slaus and moore are FA. what they do in terms of resigning them will dictate the draft. if they let both go then maybe. but they arent replacing Howard (who is actually ok most of the time, not like a wayne hunter liability)

nah. too many other holes. both slaus and moore are FA. what they do in terms of resigning them will dictate the draft. if they let both go then maybe. but they arent replacing Howard (who is actually ok most of the time, not like a wayne hunter liability)

Warmack is going to be the best player available at 9 if he's still there. And by far the surest thing.

Archived