McShay, Kiper Updated Mocks

flgreen

McShay, Kiper mock drafts 2.0

February, 7, 2013

Feb 7

2:38

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Hot off the presses, so to speak, here are the latest mock drafts from Todd McShay and Mel Kiper:

McSHAY'S TOP NINE

1. Chiefs -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

2. Jaguars -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

3. Raiders -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

4. Eagles -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

5. Lions -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

6. Browns -- Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

7. Cards -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

8. Bills -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

9. Jets -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

McShay's take: The Jets have one of the most depleted rosters in the NFL right now, but they're not going to find an answer to their quarterback problem in this scenario. That means finding a competent right tackle, a young pass-rusher (Calvin Pace likely to be cut) are at the top of the priority list. Jones would fit the bill as a pass-rusher. He's versatile, closes quickly and looks to jar the ball loose when he gets to quarterbacks or ball carriers.

KIPER'S TOP NINE

1. Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

2. Jaguars -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

3. Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

4. Eagles -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

5. Lions -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

6. Browns -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

7. Cards -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

8. Bills -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

9. Jets -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

Kiper's take: Yes, they really need skill position upgrades, with wide receiver, tight end and running back all areas of need. But the value is an issue, so if the Jets don't trade down, they're better served going with the best player available at another position of need. I'm a big fan of the interior, with Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples in place, but the Jets could really use an edge rusher. Jordan is light, but he has long arms, great athleticism and I think can be a guy they don't need to shuttle in and out depending on downs and matchups. He has star potential, and the pass rush gets some help.

Spinal stenosis. It would be the reason he would drop that far, and arguably, the reason we should allow him to continue dropping.

Which is what Marcus McNeill has, if I remember correctly, who was a 2x pro-bowler and is now out of the league at 29 years old.

here's a link to a Jets doctor, 2 weeks ago, saying basically that Stenosis is not a problem.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2013-01-23/the-nfl-beat-spinal-stenosis/

mocking the draft isn't what you would do. It's about what the Jets would do. And let's be real the Jets never fail any1. Drob and Vilma had issues, didn't stop the Jets. So regardless of what you personally would do, these Jets doctors aren't failing Jarvis Jones. They never fail anyone.

Which is what Marcus McNeill has, if I remember correctly, who was a 2x pro-bowler and is now out of the league at 29 years old.

McNeil, Michael Irvin, Cris Samuels, Shannon Sharpe...the list actually goes on and on.

The point you're making isn't that McNeil wasn't talented. 2 probowls is legit. The point is he was drafted the same year as Ferguson, and is now out of football, whereas D'Brick should continue to enjoy a lengthy career.

Another point to consider, McNeil played a position that limited the distance between collisions, whereas Jarvis Jones should be administering them on a regular basis.

Begging the question, do we want a high rish/high reward player with our first pick? or does our new GM play it safe?

I would like to see the team trade down, and still draft him.

here's a link to a Jets doctor, 2 weeks ago, saying basically that Stenosis is not a problem.

http://www.austinchr...pinal-stenosis/

mocking the draft isn't what you would do. It's about what the Jets would do. And let's be real the Jets never fail any1. Drob and Vilma had issues, didn't stop the Jets. So regardless of what you personally would do, these Jets doctors aren't failing Jarvis Jones. They never fail anyone.

To be fair, didn't Vilma and DRob have the same issue? Bone on bone condition in the knee? Back in the day the Jets failed a bunch of guys including Munoz. Their recent leniency may have been an overreaction to that.

McNeil, Michael Irvin, Cris Samuels, Shannon Sharpe...the list actually goes on and on.

The point you're making isn't that McNeil wasn't talented. 2 probowls is legit. The point is he was drafted the same year as Ferguson, and is now out of football, whereas D'Brick should continue to enjoy a lengthy career.

Another point to consider, McNeil played a position that limited the distance between collisions, whereas Jarvis Jones should be administering them on a regular basis.

Begging the question, do we want a high rish/high reward player with our first pick? or does our new GM play it safe?

I would like to see the team trade down, and still draft him.

Some fair point. Except even if the JETS trade down I would not want them to draft this guy in the 1st round with that lower pick. Its a very risky proposition!

But if he fell to the 3rd round....but that's may not happen.

I see someone like the 49ers or Seahwaks who are on the cusp on winning it all, going out and taking a risk on this guy.

If I remember correctly his conference split in those two pro bowl games. So his value when he was playing is unclear as well.

god im just talking myself into trading down and drafting geno smith

Geno Smith might be gone with the first pick of the draft. IMO I wouldn't take him late in the 1st. He is not RG III.

Everyone keeps on talking about trading down. This will be a very difficult draft to trade down in. There just aren't many players teams want to trade up for.

IMO the Jets will sit at 9 and take the best pass rusher. or Chance Warmack. I'm good with either

by the way Kiper has Cooper going before Warmack in this mock. Just sayin...

Kiper does a lot of things that I think are goofy.

That would be one of them.

Actually I hate to pick any guard at 9, but the Jets can't blow this pick. Warmack won't be a bust. In all honesty there are a few potential good pass rushers in this draft. i'm a bit scared of all of them for different reasons. Pass rushers are an odd lot

Cooper's such a beast. In a ZB scheme or an offense that uses all of an OL's athleticism he has All Pro potential. Nobody gets to the second and third level like he does in this draft.

agree, cooper best of lot in this draft IMHO. AllPro in his future

Actually I hate to pick any guard at 9, but the Jets can't blow this pick. Warmack won't be a bust.

Chance is a great prospect but to say he won't be a bust is kinda random. Everyone can bust All of these guys have risk factors. Andrew Luck is the type of prospect who we can safely say won't be a bust and there's clearly no talent like that in the top end. Luke Joekel is probably the closest thing to a 100% safe pick. but even that has risk (robert gallery)

Geno Smith might be gone with the first pick of the draft. IMO I wouldn't take him late in the 1st. He is not RG III.

Everyone keeps on talking about trading down. This will be a very difficult draft to trade down in. There just aren't many players teams want to trade up for.

IMO the Jets will sit at 9 and take the best pass rusher. or Chance Warmack. I'm good with either

thats true smith isnt rg3 but we also wouldnt be picking him with a 2nd overall pick either. Id definitly use a mid to late rounder on him if he drops. Im not in love with any of the pass rushers this year (probably because i see lots of other needs).

I do think there is a good chance of trading down tho because there are a bunch of solid lineman on both sides of the ball that some teams would want

thats true smith isnt rg3 but we also wouldnt be picking him with a 2nd overall pick either. Id definitly use a mid to late rounder on him if he drops.

watch Geno in the bowl game against Syracuse he exhibits Sanchez-like pocket presence, taking 2 safeties in the snow.

I'd be more impressed if you could show me a link to one of the companies that writes policies on NFL contracts saying that stenosis isn't a problem.

Yeah lol at spinal stenosis not being a problem. As if it is a sprained ankle. There are various degrees of the condition from mild to severe. To say one player had it and was fine so all players with SS will be fine is the silliest thing I've heard in a while.

Archived