is Landry's price being overrated?

bitonti

According to ESPN New York, free agent SS LaRon Landry is "believed" to be seeking $6 million a year.
For the elite safety Landry envisions himself being, it's actually not ridiculous money. Landry, somewhat surprisingly, made it through a full 16-game season in 2012 and forced six turnovers while recording 100 tackles. Last July, the Raiders signed SS Tyvon Branch to a four-year deal averaging $6.65 million annually. So Landry isn't trying to become the richest safety in the game.
Source: ESPN New York Feb 14 - 10:40 AM

That's a pretty reasonable asking price and if legitimate, one that wouldn't cripple the Jets' cap.  I think it depends on the guaranteed money and the ability to get out of the contract if an injury were to happen.  Front-loaded deal with the ability to get out after two years? I'd bite.

let him go the Jets could use the money in other area and the Jets could find a SS in the draft

Probably what happens.  Now if Landry had a better health history I personally would love to keep the guy.  Guy flat out scares people. With his previous injuries and history of being difficult to deal with during rehab I think we must cut ties.  

The only real injury history Laron has had throughout his football career has been related to his achilles, which was reported to be fully healed.  He played this past season without an setbacks and if the doctors deem his tendon 100% healed with no more risk of tearing than the average player, I feel he's certainly worth the money.  Resign our own FAs if possible and let others walk, so as we don't negate the possibilities of compensatory draft picks come next year. 

The only real injury history Laron has had throughout his football career has been related to his achilles, which was reported to be fully healed.  He played this past season without an setbacks and if the doctors deem his tendon 100% healed with no more risk of tearing than the average player, I feel he's certainly worth the money.  Resign our own FAs if possible and let others walk, so as we don't negate the possibilities of compensatory draft picks come next year. 

Good point about comp picks. If we can't sign Landry, he might be worth as high as a fourth round comp pick. Guys like DeVito, Keller, maybe even Greene, could result in added picks above the 7th round level, too.

Good point about comp picks. If we can't sign Landry, he might be worth as high as a fourth round comp pick. Guys like DeVito, Keller, maybe even Greene, could result in added picks above the 7th round level, too.

Yea, it's definitely something to consider with all our FAs.  I forget exactly how it is structured, but I'm pretty sure it's based on the contract the individual signs no?? I could see guys like Landry and Moore signing sizeable multi-year deals, where Devito, Greene and Keller could get more money, but maybe on a show-me deal.  I would imagine if we let both Moore and Landry walk, we'll do our best to sign Bell and Slauson, and augment come draft time if we don't like our interior play as well as the future of Bush/Allen.

Yea, it's definitely something to consider with all our FAs.  I forget exactly how it is structured, but I'm pretty sure it's based on the contract the individual signs no?? I could see guys like Landry and Moore signing sizeable multi-year deals, where Devito, Greene and Keller could get more money, but maybe on a show-me deal.  I would imagine if we let both Moore and Landry walk, we'll do our best to sign Bell and Slauson, and augment come draft time if we don't like our interior play as well as the future of Bush/Allen.

Why do you think Devito would get a show me deal?  The injuries?  I think he's been pretty durable and played at a high level all along - though he is probably closer to his ceiling than the rest.  Moore is a little old for a sizeable multi-year deal IMO, but you never know. 

Why do you think Devito would get a show me deal?  The injuries?  I think he's been pretty durable and played at a high level all along - though he is probably closer to his ceiling than the rest.  Moore is a little old for a sizeable multi-year deal IMO, but you never know. 

Not only is Moore getting older, he has been having hip problems 2 years in a row.

Not good for an older guard.  Can't give him a big deal.  Shame to I really like the guy

Normally I would agree that Moore wouldn't be in line for a big deal and would re-up with his current team, but being in a free agent class that really only boasts Levitre as someone you'd consider a top-tier FA, I think Moore could definitely get a pretty nice 3-year deal from a team with relatively few holes.  

As far as Devito goes, I didn't necessarily mean a show-me deal, just more along the lines of someone who won't break the bank nor garner the contract that would give us a higher comp pick.  It was more lazyness on my part.  But you're definitely right, he's proven to be pretty durable while playing at a solid level for a long time.  Who knows, one of these teams switching to the 34 could offer him more money than I anticipated as I remember him grading out quite high against the run when he was fully healthy.

Not only is Moore getting older, he has been having hip problems 2 years in a row.

Not good for an older guard.  Can't give him a big deal.  Shame to I really like the guy

If you like him, his not being worth a big deal is in our favor.

Normally I would agree that Moore wouldn't be in line for a big deal and would re-up with his current team, but being in a free agent class that really only boasts Levitre as someone you'd consider a top-tier FA, I think Moore could definitely get a pretty nice 3-year deal from a team with relatively few holes.  

As far as Devito goes, I didn't necessarily mean a show-me deal, just more along the lines of someone who won't break the bank nor garner the contract that would give us a higher comp pick.  It was more lazyness on my part.  But you're definitely right, he's proven to be pretty durable while playing at a solid level for a long time.  Who knows, one of these teams switching to the 34 could offer him more money than I anticipated as I remember him grading out quite high against the run when he was fully healthy.

I can see Moore going either way.  I agree that Devito probably won't break the bank, but he is sure to have suitors.  Devito is one guy I can see Rex making a big push to keep.  I think that Rex is less concerned with the safety situation than we are, but his desire to stop the run will surely have him looking to keep Pouha and/or Devito.

If you like him, his not being worth a big deal is in our favor.

I can see Moore going either way.  I agree that Devito probably won't break the bank, but he is sure to have suitors.  Devito is one guy I can see Rex making a big push to keep.  I think that Rex is less concerned with the safety situation than we are, but his desire to stop the run will surely have him looking to keep Pouha and/or Devito.

The problem with DeVito is Couples.   They play the same position.  DeVito will get a nice contract this season, the Jets expect Couples to now get about 80% of the snaps.  

Hope they keep DeVito, but strongly doubt it

Devito is one guy I can see Rex making a big push to keep.

Agreed. Pouha is another year older and coming off a year where he battled some injuries. Ellis is still a question mark and also battled an injury or two. I've been thinking of DeVito as a Kelly Gregg type flex NT/DE in this D. He has the skillset to be a competent NT despite non-prototype size as he's just so good against the run. 

The problem with DeVito is Couples.   They play the same position.  DeVito will get a nice contract this season, the Jets expect Couples to now get about 80% of the snaps.  

Hope they keep DeVito, but strongly doubt it

I understand where you are coming from but Devito and Coples can be on the field together.  Devito can play DT when they go 4-3.  In fact I think they list the linemen as DE, DT and NT, though in that case I'd see Wilkerson more as DT than Coples and Coples was taking Devito's reps, not Wilkerson.

I can certainly see them keeping Devito especially if they can't redo Pouha's deal.  They need to keep one of those guys for some stability up the middle. I think the run D suffered a bunch this year from a few angles.  The loss of Revis changed the way they covered, Devito and Pouha (and Scott) were dinged up and missed time and the attempts to add speed to the D came at the expense of the run D.  You can add the LBs being asked to shed weight during the offseason to that.  I don't think Rex will want to let it get any worse.

Lose Landry and Revis... lets see where that leaves our once elite secondary. Letting them go to free up money and bring in unproven talent is not a good idea. The only strong point we had on this team was the secondary. And Cromartie can't do it alone.

I'm a huge fan of having elite units on the team...if you don't have the QB I think you have to. Powering up the OL, DL and Secondary already strengths, works for me. The trick is where you dont have the money to find those overachievers/diamonds in the rough to fill out the rest of the roster. Guys like Devito but at the needed positions so to speak. Problem is they tried going all in in spots overpaying the wrong guys, like Holmes, Harris, Scott, Sanchez. Jmo

But the problem is, bottom line, without the QB none of it really matters I guess.

I understand where you are coming from but Devito and Coples can be on the field together. Devito can play DT when they go 4-3. In fact I think they list the linemen as DE, DT and NT, though in that case I'd see Wilkerson more as DT than Coples and Coples was taking Devito's reps, not Wilkerson.

I can certainly see them keeping Devito especially if they can't redo Pouha's deal. They need to keep one of those guys for some stability up the middle. I think the run D suffered a bunch this year from a few angles. The loss of Revis changed the way they covered, Devito and Pouha (and Scott) were dinged up and missed time and the attempts to add speed to the D came at the expense of the run D. You can add the LBs being asked to shed weight during the offseason to that. I don't think Rex will want to let it get any worse.

problem is if they kept Devito and then went to a 43 they basically have 4 DTs and no Ends.

I want the Jets to keep DeVito, but I doubt it happens. He was talking last year as a goner and finished with the Jets.  Remember when the Jets drafted Coples they focred DeVito into a paycut. Had he rejected the paycut he likely would have been cut. The day DeVito took a paycut they cut Pitoitua.

problem is if they kept Devito and then went to a 43 they basically have 4 DTs and no Ends.

The Jets base D is the 3-4, but they play a lot of 4-3 right now.

After this draft, more then likely their 1st round pick has been playing 4-3 DE, unless it's Jones.  Suspect a lot more 4-3 will be played.  Especially  on passing downs

The Jets base D is the 3-4, but they play a lot of 4-3 right now.

After this draft, more then likely their 1st round pick has been playing 4-3 DE, unless it's Jones.  Suspect a lot more 4-3 will be played.  Especially  on passing downs

on passing downs the Jets like every other team in the league goes nickel or dime. Not 4-3. But it will be a 4 man front that is correct and they need someone for that role. (also note that Dion Jordan, who is being mocked to the Jets alot, actually stood up a ton at Oregon and most of his pass rushing happened standing up as LB). 

the 3-4 vs 4-3 discussion is really about running downs and I don't think Rex will ever go to the 4-3. It's against everything he knows and was brought up coaching. He goes 46 and 3-4 that's what he does. The good news for 4-3 fans is that a 3-4 over is basically a 4-3. What a 3-4 does is allow a multitude of fronts and looks (with bigger guys playing). 4-3 teams basically just run the 4-3. 

Archived