King Felix is about to earn a lot of money to play for a crappy team (7yr-175million)

PFSIKH

Yankees gave it CC. King Felix will only be 33 when this contract expires. He's worth the money. Maybe they can pony up for some other players too.

That is going to be the question for the duration of the contract.

The Mariners have spent between 80-117 million the last 10+ years. An average of 25 million leaves the Mariners margin of error very very slim.

Weren't you the one trying to say that small market teams should be paying closers $7 million per year? If so, then $25 million per year for an ace pitcher on a mid market team should be a no-brainer.

Probably did.

A small market spends in the neighborhood of 50-60 million. 7 million is what 11-12% of their salary.

$25 out of 117 million is over 20% of a team's salary tied into one player. If they start spending in the large to Yankee market range, no problem. They have yet to do that in their history.

Again, they did the right thing. In that division with LA and Texas, I think they are going to struggle to be competitive.

Seattle isn't a small market. It's not NY, but not small market either. Not to mention teams are swimming in money with baseball killing it in ad revenue.

True, but they do not spend. 

I remember reading somewhere that they are up there in total revenue.  I mean up there in the SF, LA and Boston neighborhood.

Yet, they have been consistently south of 100 milion.

True, but they do not spend. 

They just did, and probably have plenty of room to work with. Not to mention they have a great park for pitchers and one of the best farm systems in the league.

Yet, they have been consistently south of 100 milion.

Philly never had a 100 million dollar payroll either until 2009. Two years later it was in the 170's. 

Fans waste a shiiiiiiiiiitload of time managing team's money for them, and the fact is that Seattle locked up a 26 year old version of the rarest commodity in the sport (well tied with a franchise C or SS). 

Archived