Jets OL Rates # 3 in NFL

Joewillie2012

it's as much a statement about the quality of line play in the league as it is about the Jets OL. in other words, If you think the Jets OL sucks, look at other team's depth charts.

Yeah but Slauson is a JAG, Mangold is no longer in, D'Brick overrated, Moore is old, and I barely know Howard.

Yeah but Slauson is a JAG, Mangold is no longer in, D'Brick overrated, Moore is old, and I barely know Howard.

I think you're being sarcastic but besides the 2 Pro Bowlers in that lineup, the Jets often went 7 deep with Vlad and Jason Smith. Compare to other teams like the Titans who had 4 of their 5 starters on the IR, the Bucs who lost both of their high priced guards, the Pats were dinged up all year and that's not even talking about the truly atrocious lines such as: CHI, PHI, AZ, SD, IND

i should have paid more attention to other teams OL's

im just sayin. The stat is 3rd best in the NFL. not 3rd best of all time. You can only compare these guys to their peers. SF is definately better than NYJ. but after that there's a whole tier of lines that are about the same level and the Jets are in that tier. Don't forget the line pretty much took over the game in all of their 6 wins. COlts and Rams games especially come to mind. Long story short the jets OL is more than good enough to win, and anyone who says otherwise is holding this line to an unrealistic standard.

im just sayin. The stat is 3rd best in the NFL. not 3rd best of all time. You can only compare these guys to their peers. SF is definately better than NYJ. but after that there's a whole tier of lines that are about the same level and the Jets are in that tier. Don't forget the line pretty much took over the game in all of their 6 wins. COlts and Rams games especially come to mind. Long story short the jets OL is more than good enough to win, and anyone who says otherwise is holding this line to an unrealistic standard.

I would have loved to see them with a competent QB and RB's

but i just cant shake the McElroy game from my mind when they say we were 3rd best this year.

I would have loved to see them with a competent QB and RB's

but i just cant shake the McElroy game from my mind when they say we were 3rd best this year.

agree. another fun stat from PFF, McElroy supposedly had the most time to throw of all the Qb's to start a game that week.

Our offensive line was pretty much the same as our defense this year:

when they faced a good defense, they sucked balls

when they faced a bad defense, they dominated

Our defense was similar:

when they faced a good offense, they sucked balls

when they faced a bad offense, they dominated

It is pretty typical bully behavior, when a team smacked them in the mouth, they cowered like a little b!#ch, when a team could not smack them in the mouth, they pounded their chest and imposed their will.

This is a Rex Ryan team, through and through.

Oh dear God.

There are two reasons not to get on Bit for that stat. First, it's likely true. Of course he had more time, he held it to past the last possible second 11 times! I don't know how the figure that stat, but if you throw it away in 4 seconds, that is less time than taking a sack in 7. Especially when you hop around back there and try to extend the play. Second, Bit has mentioned a few times, and it may be true, that McElroy may have gotten his concussion earlier in the game and that may have caused him to delay pulling the trigger later on.

There are two reasons not to get on Bit for that stat. First, it's likely true. Of course he had more time, he held it to past the last possible second 11 times! I don't know how the figure that stat, but if you throw it away in 4 seconds, that is less time than taking a sack in 7. Especially when you hop around back there and try to extend the play. Second, Bit has mentioned a few times, and it may be true, that McElroy may have gotten his concussion earlier in the game and that may have caused him to delay pulling the trigger later on.

wasnt getting on him... more surprised at the stat and how mcelroy sucked that day.

It really is amazing how bad Shonn Greene actually is. First round grade.

I never bought that as an actuality. They passed on him in the first and second round. I'm sure they liked him, and had him rated higher than most, but I always saw that first round grade stuff as them pumping up the pick (and the trade) for public consumption.

Our offensive line was pretty much the same as our defense this year:

when they faced a good defense, they sucked balls

when they faced a bad defense, they dominated

Our defense was similar:

when they faced a good offense, they sucked balls

when they faced a bad offense, they dominated

It is pretty typical bully behavior, when a team smacked them in the mouth, they cowered like a little b!#ch, when a team could not smack them in the mouth, they pounded their chest and imposed their will.

This is a Rex Ryan team, through and through.

Shocking conclusion to this post.

I never bought that as an actuality. They passed on him in the first and second round. I'm sure they liked him, and had him rated higher than most, but I always saw that first round grade stuff as them pumping up the pick (and the trade) for public consumption.

Shocking conclusion to this post.

If you disagree, tell me what part you disagree with.

#3 seems like a stretch. FO has us at 5th in the running game and 30th in pass protection which seems a lot more reasonable. A lot of that latter number is Sanchez, but Mangold and Moore really weren't very good this year, Howard is only good in comparison to Hunter, and Slauson's pass protection is only good in comparison to his run blocking. PFF's stats are faux. Anecdotal evidence expressed in numerical form is still bullsh*t.

#3 seems like a stretch. FO has us at 5th in the running game and 30th in pass protection which seems a lot more reasonable. A lot of that latter number is Sanchez, but Mangold and Moore really weren't very good this year, Howard is only good in comparison to Hunter, and Slauson's pass protection is only good in comparison to his run blocking. PFF's stats are faux. Anecdotal evidence expressed in numerical form is still bullsh*t.

this statement is a perfect example why Jets fans underrate the OL. It's all focused on the Jets. It has no context about what other teams are doing and who they are trotting out there.

Everything you said might be true and the Jets could still be 3rd in the OL rankings. Look at San Diego, Arizona, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Indy, Washington, St Louis. All were atrocious. Even "good" lines like Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Giants, Bengals were decimated by key injuries by the end of the year.

Look around and then come back and say "Mangold wasn't very good." Compared to what?

Im not saying 3 is carved in stone but they are closer to 3 than 32.

Yeah, invoking adjusted sack rate is sooo typical, isn't it?

im not saying PFF is perfect and that their numbers are great.

I am saying there's probably 29 worse OL in the NFL than the Jets. It's a reasonable case to make. If Jets fans knew every starter on every OL from week to week, we wouldn't complain about Nick Mangold ever again.

Yeah, because throwing names back and forth is doing a whole lot of good for either side of this argument.

It depends on the debate.

Is it "The Jets OL is not as good as it used to be?" or "The Jets OL is not 3rd best the league?" because both of those statements can be true.

Is it "The Jets OL is a big problem that needs to be fixed with a 1st round pick" cause I will debate that until the cows come home.

JMO the Jets OL Is about as good as the Ravens OL, who just won it all. And better than the Giants who won it last year and better than many other SB winning teams OL.

They can get better to be sure. It's just not a problem with the Jets. It's actually a strength along with Revis and the 3-4 DL.

You've lost your mind.

there's this idea that great OL means points. The Giants OL during their Super Bowl win, player by player is not as good as the Jets. They had their current Right tackle David Diehl at left tackle. LG Boothe is arguably better than Slauson. But the Jets are better at the other 3 spots, and at LT and C they are much better.

There's this idea that 20 sacks 4.6 Y/C means a better OL than 47 sacks 3.8 Y/C.

these numbers have to do with the skills more than the OL. 

since we are talking about improvement, they are getting rid of Willie Colon in PIttsburgh - played great at LG this year. Brick - Colon - Mangold - Vlad - Hunter could be a good line. And without using a top 10 pick on a guard. 

these numbers have to do with the skills more than the OL. 

since we are talking about improvement, they are getting rid of Willie Colon in PIttsburgh - played great at LG this year. Brick - Colon - Mangold - Vlad - Hunter could be a good line. And without using a top 10 pick on a guard. 

Dude, you said Hunter.  Edit that quick!

The Jets OL is almost definitely underrated by fans. It's far from awful. However, if they lose both guards as appears likely it spells big trouble IMO. I think they almost have to hand on to one of them, preferably Moore, just so they can retain continuity for the most part.

Breaking in two new guards means a lot of gelling has to happen in a short period of time, even harder with the new camp structure. And as important as tackles are, if poor guard play means interior pressure which is really tough for QB's to deal with. Plus I'd imagine we'll see Howard regress some without Moore next to him, his stability definitely helps the tackle out a lot. We saw how much going from Clarke to Faneca helped Brick.

Archived