Who is ready for another Yankees championship season?

Maxman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he's a good defender because you say so huh? I assure you, i'm far from the only one who sees his awful D.

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2012/07/26/alfonso-sorianos-elite-defense/

While UZR is not quite as refined as your always vigilant eye, he's been in he negative once there as a LFer. While I'm sure you are well aware of every LFers defensive ability and can prove this wrong using EYE, your own opinion based stat built around limited viewing and hearsay, he's one of the better defensive LFers in baseball and has been for some time now.

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2012/07/26/alfonso-sorianos-elite-defense/

While UZR is not quite as refined as your always vigilant eye, he's been in he negative once there as a LFer. While I'm sure you are well aware of every LFers defensive ability and can prove this wrong using EYE, your own opinion based stat built around limited viewing and hearsay, he's one of the better defensive LFers in baseball and has been for some time now.

While his UZR was not bad last year, it was mediocre at best the 3 years before that, (3, 5, and -2), you think that's getting better in yankee stadium another year older? I don't. NTM he's playing in a tiny LF and the fact that UZR's for left fielders are notoriously weird. He did have a pretty good hitting year last year but he's too up and down and he makes a killing. He's going to get traded pretty soon I'd bet and for nowhere near the value of a top 50 prospect.

Soriano's deal is one of the worst deals in major league history. Even if the Cubs kick in half of the remaining 37mil, they will not get back an elite prospect. Soriano is a one dimensional player with extreme limitations. 

The Cubs should consider themselves lucky if someone were to take him off their hands. They have been trying to unload him for years

Um, Mr. Scientist Mike, those aren't DH level UZR numbers. How are UZR numbers for LFers "notoriously weird?" As notoriously weird as EYE?

He's one of 30(!) players who hit 30 HRs in baseball last year, he's one of the better defensive LFers, and he gives the Yankees DH and depth in an older OF on short contracts.

Scott, the Yankees don't have any elite prospects. Sanchez and Williams are the only candidates (Banuelos could have been but who cares he's still on the more talented end of the spectrum) to even become elite prospects. What is this one dimension and what are these "extreme limitations?" More EYE based analysis? He's a 25+ HR solid defensive corner OFer that can hit for some average and get on base at league average or better rates (the league average OBP being .320, not I'm sure what it's imagined to be in this conversation).

OH the eye test. Well sh*t you didn't tell me he failed your eye test. No one can fight all that science.

Oh.

This explains how you're able to weigh in on Yankees issues, despite proving earlier in the thread that you watched exactly zero Yankee games last season.

I guess you don't really have to watch players to evaluate them.  Scouting must be such an easy job.

Let me guess....the proof is that I didn't know that Kim Jones was replaced? Cause that's what Yankee games are about...pre and post game reporters lol. More opinion, zero facts.

This is just bad...I'm willing to bet I watched 100 more Yankee games last year than you super scouts combined in Cub and Soriano viewings over the past 5 years. Or I would be willing if there was some way to prove it.

Um, Mr. Scientist Mike, those aren't DH level UZR numbers. How are UZR numbers for LFers "notoriously weird?" As notoriously weird as EYE?

He's one of 30(!) players who hit 30 HRs in baseball last year, he's one of the better defensive LFers, and he gives the Yankees DH and depth in an older OF on short contracts.

Scott, the Yankees don't have any elite prospects. Sanchez and Williams are the only candidates (Banuelos could have been but who cares he's still on the more talented end of the spectrum) to even become elite prospects. What is this one dimension and what are these "extreme limitations?" More EYE based analysis? He's a 25+ HR solid defensive corner OFer that can hit for some average and get on base at league average or better rates (the league average OBP being .320, not I'm sure what it's imagined to be in this conversation).

Austin is a borderline elite prospect. He's 21 years old and put up a 322/400/559 with 17 homers in Tampa which is in a pitchers league. If you think the Yankees are going to trade that potential for a 37 year old, bad LF who was helped out by playing in a bandbox and an easy LF you're simply smoking something. 

Austin is a borderline elite prospect.

ROTFL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

A 20 year old corner outfielder has to do a whole lot more than put up a sub-.900 OPS in High A to be elite. ROTFL.

For anyone who actually even thinks about believing this tool - Austin actually hit .321/.385/.478 for Tampa. Couldn't even get THAT right...it's just one infuriatingly false troll/joke post after another. 

Tyler Austin , didn't you see his Low A ball stats? Corner OFs with average at best speed put up .390 BABIPs all the time in Low A and translate it to the majors all the time. It's just like you gotta do it, you know? Also Soriano is a DH because my eyes yo they see things.

-urbanmadmike

Gato, the Cubs have been looking to unload Soriano for years, even willing to take on a good part of his salary. If this player was so good, as you claim, why don't the Cubs keep him? No team has been willing to take on this albatross of a player or contract.

According to Baseball America, Austin isn't even in the top 75 prospects. Some dude named Mason is in the 30s though.

Carl, if Austin were in the Red Sox system with the numbers he's put up at his age you would already have 3 pink jerseys of his. He's in the 70s in the BA list and he's 52 on Law's list before hitting AA too so the idea that he's a nobody is just sillyness. Just like the idea of trading him for Soriano.

Carl, if Austin were in the Red Sox system with the numbers he's put up at his age you would already have 3 pink jerseys of his. He's in the 70s in the BA list and he's 52 on Law's list before hitting AA too so the idea that he's a nobody is just sillyness. Just like the idea of trading him for Soriano.

I didn't say he was nobody.  I've never bought a pink jersey ever.  You said he was borderline elite.  He's top tier, but not borderline elite.

I didn't say he was nobody.  I've never bought a pink jersey ever.  You said he was borderline elite.  He's top tier, but not borderline elite.

I don't have a problem with that semantics change. It's pretty much the same thing. He's a good prospect who could become elite or top tier or whatever if he continues to preform like he has so far at a higher level. Not sure what we're arguing about haha.

Let me guess....the proof is that I didn't know that Kim Jones was replaced? Cause that's what Yankee games are about...pre and post game reporters lol. More opinion, zero facts.

This is just bad...I'm willing to bet I watched 100 more Yankee games last year than you super scouts combined in Cub and Soriano viewings over the past 5 years. Or I would be willing if there was some way to prove it.

Kim also reports several times during the game.  She gets more camera time than Michael Kay or any other broadcaster on the cast.

Someone claiming to have watched more games than me (I'd estimate about 120-130) should probably know that.

Kim also reports several times during the game. She gets more camera time than Michael Kay or any other broadcaster on the cast.

Someone claiming to have watched more games than me (I'd estimate about 120-130) should probably know that.

Nobody cares about sideline reporters you half wit. Holy sh*t it's not possible to care less about Kim Jones or new girl with tiiiiiiiiiits. More camera time than Michael Kay is like 8 seconds of camera time, nooooooboooody caaaarrressss. You're not smart because you know how long t!ts McGee has been reporting from the sidelines.

Gato, the Cubs have been looking to unload Soriano for years, even willing to take on a good part of his salary. If this player was so good, as you claim, why don't the Cubs keep him? No team has been willing to take on this albatross of a player or contract.

Hey Scott, did you take the time to note that Soriano is on the Cubs? If the Cubs were sooooo desperate to get out of the deal and trade him, how is it that they haven't taken anybody's trash (see: all but maybe 2-3 Yankee prospects) just to get rid of him?

Damn, I really forget just how basic Yankee fans are when it comes to baseball knowledge...It's the worst. I'm half surprised one of you hasn't brought up his RBI totals yet, though that is probably actually a notch up from EYE and this sideline reporters saga that Potato seems to care so much about (it's proof!).

Hey Scott, did you take the time to note that Soriano is on the Cubs? If the Cubs were sooooo desperate to get out of the deal and trade him, how is it that they haven't taken anybody's trash (see: all but maybe 2-3 Yankee prospects) just to get rid of him?

Damn, I really forget just how basic Yankee fans are when it comes to baseball knowledge...It's the worst. I'm half surprised one of you hasn't brought up his RBI totals yet, though that is probably actually a notch up from EYE and this sideline reporters saga that Potato seems to care so much about (it's proof!).

Scott isn't a Yankee fan.  Far from it.  But he's proven himself as a very knowledgeable baseball fan.

You're a whole 'nother story.  Keep bringing it though, it's pretty humorous for the rest of us.

Gato, since you seem to know so much more than anyone else in baseball, why don't YOU tell us why the Cubs have been so willing to trade Soriano, yet, the deal has not been consummated. Could it be that his contract and value make him unattractive, even to the most OF starved teams? How else to explain an above average fielding LF (LOL-I remember when the joke was in Chicago that Cub fans themselves said Soriano was the only OF that took the term "warning track" literally) with pop to hit HR's in blowout situations being so unattractive?

In terms of your "eye test". I have seen your droolings over college football players as if you were some type of savant. You should not be criticizing others over the "eye test". 

Gato, since you seem to know so much more than anyone else in baseball, why don't YOU tell us why the Cubs have been so willing to trade Soriano, yet, the deal has not been consummated.

1. The Cubs are only willing to deal Soriano for a real prospect.

2. Soriano has 10/5 rights and can say no to a trade. He did that to the Giants last year due to the weather out in SF.

3. He's only on the trade market in the first place because the Cubs are a last place team. On a team with a bunch of other good players he's just one of a bunch. Right now he's the most productive hitter on the Cubs after a long career of being a productive hitter. 

Not that complicated once you're willing to take the actual steps in thought rather than this basic level nonsense you guys keep passing as an argument. 

Could it be that his contract and value make him unattractive, even to the most OF starved teams?

No. The price would make him more unattractive. 

How else to explain an above average fielding LF (LOL-I remember when the joke was in Chicago that Cub fans themselves said Soriano was the only OF that took the term "warning track" literally) with pop to hit HR's in blowout situations being so unattractive?

WHOA, Cubs fans THEMSELVES? With the EYE? sh*t then I REALLY don't know what I'm talking about. Wtf does that even mean? He didn't want to run into a brick wall? Yeah, that's what smart people do. 

And loln what does that question mean? Pop to hit HRs in a blowout? More science? You realize that scathing writing isn't an argument or a point, right? It's just babbling out more opinion on top of opinion on top of opinion and treating allllll those opinions are facts for the hell of it? How lazy are you people planning to be? 

You realize that scathing writing isn't an argument or a point, right? It's just babbling out more opinion on top of opinion on top of opinion and treating allllll those opinions are facts for the hell of it? How lazy are you people planning to be? 

You obviously don't read your own blatherings and hold them up to a logic test. 

Like Potato said, stick to complaining about your delivery tips. 

Potato being the guy that connects baseball knowledge to how much you know about Yankee sideline reporters. Good one to hitch your ride to. Group of scientists like you three from this thread shouldn't be wasting your time arguing with a mere delivery driver when you can be applying your scientific knowledge and logic to so many other problems. 

How do you know he's knowledgeable? He hasn't even been quizzed on who the YES sideline gals are and how long they're on camera! Typical basic Yankee fan thinks knowledgable = you agree with my half thought out, zero proof drivel.

Another horrible breakdown of logic, led by poor assumptions.

If you're familiar with our history, which I know you are, very rarely do Scott and I agree on our thoughts on baseball.  However, I do respect his thoughts, as he consistently displays that he understands this game.  The nonsense you are drooling out in this thread tells the opposite story of you. 

The simple fact of the matter is you are on an island by yourself in believing that Alfonso Soriano is even an average defensive player.  Fans, players, coaches, executives, scouts alike all are pretty much on the same page on this.  Meanwhile, your stance is that an aging guy with a history of poor play in left field in tiny Wrigley for a last place team can be expected to play well in the vast left field of Yankee Stadium in the heat of a pennant race (by the way, ask Joe Torre why he had to pull him off the field in a pressure situation in the playoffs in 2003 when he still played 2B).  The notion that the Cubs, who have been desperately trying to unload this guy for a couple years now, having not be able to do so has nothing to do with his performance on the field defies all reality.  To attribute that to the Cubs only wanting "prospects" in return is even more laughable.  The Cubs would trade Soriano for an already eaten corn cob right now.

And no, no one is making the claim that sideline reporters have anything to do with baseball knowledge.  But it is a very clear indicator that you are full of crap when you claim to watch a lot of Yankee games.  It's clear that you don't.  It's ok to admit that you're lying now that you've exposed yourself.  

If you do that, then we won't even have to delve into the little issue of you arguing that you "watch more Yankee games than the rest of us combined" while simultaneously making the case that "watching isn't as important as numbers".

Archived