Nets looking to trade for Atlanta Josh Smith

faba

The Brooklyn Nets are aggressively pursuing a trade for Atlanta Hawks star forward Josh Smith, league sources told ESPN.

The two teams are engaged in discussions, but one source said while "there has been lots of talk, nothing is close yet."

As the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline nears, Brooklyn is proving to be one of the most active teams in the league. As reported by ESPN.com on Friday, sources said the Nets also are talking with the Charlotte Bobcats about a Kris Humphries-for-Ben Gordon trade.

Nets Blog

bkn.gif Looking for more Nets news? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered.

{cWhile the Nets certainly want Gordon, sources said acquiring Smith is their higher priority. A trade for Smith would seemingly kill a deal for Gordon, because Humphries is one of the players being discussed with Atlanta.

The Nets are willing to give up Humphries and second-year shooting guard MarShon Brooks for Smith. But it almost certainly will take more than a Humphries-Brooks combination to pry Smith away from Atlanta, and one source said the Hawks want Brooklyn's first-round pick.

Some scenarios that have been discussed include the Hawks' Anthony Morrow, who played the past two seasons with the Nets, returning to the club.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Saturday that the Hawks want a young center in return for Smith.

The Nets may have to get a third team involved to pull off a trade for Smith.

Smith will become a free agent this summer, and Atlanta is deciding whether to trade him before the deadline. One source close to the situation estimated there is a 60 percent chance the Hawks will move him.

If the Hawks don't trade Smith, they risk losing him for nothing as a free agent. Atlanta could re-sign Smith, but he wants close to maximum-salary money, if not the max.

One school of thought has the Hawks keeping Smith in order to make themselves more attractive to Smith's longtime friend and fellow Atlanta native, Dwight Howard.

Howard, who is struggling through a nightmarish season with the Los Angeles Lakers, will become a free agent this summer, and Atlanta will join Dallas and Houston in offering him a max-salary contract. Sources have said Howard has little interest in playing in Atlanta

I'm sure Prokhorov is freaking out right now and demanding changes up and down the roster, and this is a side effect of that. I still maintain that the problem with this team is Brook Lopez acting as a black hole in the middle, choking the running game, and being a non-entity defensively. The only upside to trading for Josh Smith would be that he's a free agent at the end of the year, and you'd be clearing that Humphries salary slot.

I'll believe Dwight won't get traded when he's still a Laker on 2/22.

This story is pure hype IMO.  The Nets don't have anything to offer.  Atlanta is REALLY going to look to get Hump and his multityear deal?  Really?  And Brooks?  That's worth damaging their cap situation for next summer when they go hard after Dwight?

The Hawks aren't losing Smith for "nothing" if he walks.  They are freeing $13 mil in cap space if he's gone.  They could do a lot with that and a lot better than Hump.

This story is pure hype IMO. The Nets don't have anything to offer. Atlanta is REALLY going to look to get Hump and his multityear deal? Really? And Brooks? That's worth damaging their cap situation for next summer when they go hard after Dwight?

The Hawks aren't losing Smith for "nothing" if he walks. They are freeing $13 mil in cap space if he's gone. They could do a lot with that and a lot better than Hump.

Hump is probably getting moved for Ben Gordon. He's got value because he's a big that rebounds and those dudes stay in the league forever. Marshon Brooks isn't a bad iso player, either. Josh Smith is a psycho headcase, too. I'm surprised Atlanta doesn't just tell him to stay home. Also, if the Lakers are dumb enough to let Dwight sulk his way into free agency at the end of the year, there's zero chance he ends up in Atlanta. That place is a graveyard and he knows it.

Hump is probably getting moved for Ben Gordon. He's got value because he's a big that rebounds and those dudes stay in the league forever. Marshon Brooks isn't a bad iso player, either. Josh Smith is a psycho headcase, too. I'm surprised Atlanta doesn't just tell him to stay home. Also, if the Lakers are dumb enough to let Dwight sulk his way into free agency at the end of the year, there's zero chance he ends up in Atlanta. That place is a graveyard and he knows it.

The Hawks are still better off saving $13 million in letting Smith walk than taking on the Nets' bad contracts. The Gordon-Hump situation is different because it's essentially the same salary and duration ($12 x 2).

Also, don't sell Atlanta short because Howard is from there.  Because of all the abuse he's taken, Howard may want to escape and go back home where they won't write a single bad thing about him.

Millsap is a nice player. What I'm sensing here is that Knicks fans are petrified of the idea that their one big move will be trading Shumpert for garbage, then having to watch their squad get booted in the first round by any team with a point guard that can move forward and dribble at the same time.

Millsap is a nice player. What I'm sensing here is that Knicks fans are petrified of the idea that their one big move will be trading Shumpert for garbage, then having to watch their squad get booted in the first round by any team with a point guard that can move forward and dribble at the same time.

:face:

You watch, my man. Both of our teams are flawed, and both should make a serious move, but I think both organizations realize it's the Lebron Invitational this year anyway, so they'll both sit on their hands until the offseason.

The Knicks aren't going to make a significant move and the Nets just like to hear their name mentioned in big trade rumors.  They crave the attention.

But, yeah, it's all about LeBron.  The goal for both teams is to get to the conference finals to face the Heat and pray that something crazy happens.

The Knicks aren't going to make a significant move and the Nets just like to hear their name mentioned in big trade rumors. They crave the attention.

But, yeah, it's all about LeBron. The goal for both teams is to get to the conference finals to face the Heat and pray that something crazy happens.

You dudes need another guard in the worst way, unless you think Shumpert will play himself into shape. JR Smith is fool's gold.

I think the Nets will dump Humphries somewhere, even with his $12 mil.

You dudes need another guard in the worst way, unless you think Shumpert will play himself into shape. JR Smith is fool's gold.

At the end of the day, and at the end of games for that matter the ball is going to be in either Melo's hands or JR's.

Unless Woodson wants to change that...I dont see the point in trading for Reddick or whomever. The offense is going to ride and die with those two.

A rotation guard, not a starter, and Smith isn't losing his minutes.  Get real.

I think the Nets are floating Hump's name in order to try to create a market.  If they can dump his $12 mil is yet to be seen.

A rotation guard, not a starter, and Smith isn't losing his minutes. Get real.

I think the Nets are floating Hump's name in order to try to create a market. If they can dump his $12 mil is yet to be seen.

The Knicks need a guy to save the Knicks season when Smith starts out 2-10 with four turnovers in a playoff game. Good name being tied to the Knicks--JJ Redick. Perfect guy.

Woodson will never sit JR. He's probably going to get a contract too this offseason. Personnel decisions go through Dolan/Melo.

When's the last time Grunwald even spoke?

Woodson should go watch the video of John Starks murdering Ewing's title hopes. Counting on that guy is suicide.

Nets and Knicks were smart to not cave in to hellacious trade demands, but they both basically conceded any chance at a title this season. What teams were reportedly asking for an a$$hole like Josh Smith, or ok rotational guys like Millsap and Redick was absurd. And lol at the Lakers. Good luck this summer.

Nets and Knicks were smart to not cave in to hellacious trade demands, but they both basically conceded any chance at a title this season. What teams were reportedly asking for an a$$hole like Josh Smith, or ok rotational guys like Millsap and Redick was absurd. And lol at the Lakers. Good luck this summer.

Both the Knicks and Nets made the smart decision.

Just play out the season and hope Wade wears down by April.

If Ewing weren't getting murdered by Olajuwon the whole series he wouldn't have had to watch Starks going 0-10 in the 4th quarter of game 7.

This a 100 times over.

Ewing was my favorite player but I knew then as I know know that he was the main reason the Knicks lost.  The Knicks had the better team but the Rockets had the better player unfortunately at the same position as the Knicks' best player.

Starks was a glorified CBA player playing over his head.  He was wretched in that final game but the Knicks needed their star player to play like the best player on the court but he couldn't because The Dream was simply better.

If Ewing weren't getting murdered by Olajuwon the whole series he wouldn't have had to watch Starks going 0-10 in the 4th quarter of game 7.

Not to mention - who draws up a play that involves Ewing coming out to set a high screen for Starks, thereby drawing the reigning 2x DPOY and greatest defensive center since Russell out to the perimeter?

Starks was awesome in Game 6, had hit 5-9 from downtown, and probably drains the series-winning 3 there if Olajuwon doesn't block him.  I definitely broke some things after that game - one in which Starks was the only consistent source of offense for the Knicks (Ewing shot 30% from the floor).

Archived