Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down ?

SouthernJet

Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down ?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down?

• The Jets stay at #9
    • The Jets trade up from #9
    • The Jets trade down from #9

LOL, BUT remember, he was once  a IBMer like I still am ;)

That's cool. If he's breaking out the spreadsheets, he knows the rate of a return on a guard is just way too low to invest a top ten pick. You need to take a potential impact player there.

That's cool. If he's breaking out the spreadsheets, he knows the rate of a return on a guard is just way too low to invest a top ten pick. You need to take a potential impact player there.

LOL, usually yes,, but you just never know. I'll call him and say take Gio Bernard in 2nd ;)

Then complain that Idzik didn't listen when the Bengals pick him at the top of the 2nd before our pick?   :winking0001:

Ya agree, I am hearing Bengals are eyeing him BIGTIME.

To get Gio we will have to leapfrog them in 2nd or via tradedown out of #9 move get a pick before Bengals (low 1st , high 2nd)

Sounds sort of like SJ's plan, but I don't think they'll be able to pull it off.

I think they should stay at #9. They should have a choice of pass rushers there, easily the #2 need on the team behind QB.

I also think there's a good chance they'll land a late first rounder for trading one of their CBs. That would put them in prime position for the draft's top RB, or their choice of QBs.

The Jets have a ton of needs and the draft is pretty strong in the 2nd-3rd round range this year. Not that strong in the top 10 though and they could get a guy with a similar amount of question marks later than they could at 9 IMO. It would be ideal to move down and pick up another day 2 selection.

That said, who wants to move up ahead of the Titans and Chargers and for what player? Trading down is easier said than done, you need somebody to want to move up too. Maybe some team looking for an offensive lineman if they want to grab Warmack ahead of the Titans or Fisher ahead of the Chargers if he's on the board, but that's about all I can think of. I'd be surprised if Warmack goes top 10 or Fisher is available at 9 though - but it is very early.

I think they should stay at #9. They should have a choice of pass rushers there, easily the #2 need on the team behind QB.

I also think there's a good chance they'll land a late first rounder for trading one of their CBs. That would put them in prime position for the draft's top RB, or their choice of QBs.

The Jets need must think about the other side of the ball , the team scores only 10 points a game , stop going Defence every 1 pick of the draft , the Jets could have the best D in the NFL but if you can not score points the team is not going to win and there are no good QB in the draft

Completely agree with this. Good thing Dummy's imbalanced roster leaves us with two of the best pieces of trade bait out there at a position even good teams can't find one guy at.

I like the idea of a trade down, but I don't know how much interest we will be able to generate at 9. Most teams that try to trade back into the top 10 are looking for a QB, and I don't see one that a team would cherish enough to pull the trigger on a deal. Another 2nd rounder sounds great, but we are going to be in a spot where a terrific player is on the board when we pick...

Trade down 'probably' not happening.. Interesting how Mayock feels not much difference between 5 and 25 this year. Typical Jets luck :(

First-round draft trades could be less plentiful this year

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
mike-mayock-2.jpg?w=250Getty Images

Last year, the Rams reeled in two first-round picks and a second-rounder in exchange for a flip-flop of the second and sixth overall picks.  Likewise, the Vikings pilfered from the Browns a fourth-round pick, a fifth-round pick, and a seventh-round pick for a one-spot jump from four to three, which allowed the Browns to draft a running back (Trent Richardson) whom the Vikings never would have picked.

There was other movement at the top of the draft, with the Jags moving up to getJustin Blackmon, the Cowboys climbing the ladder for Morris Claiborne, and the Eagles rising up to get Fletcher Cox.

This year, there could be much less activity at the top.

“If you’re a playoff team this year, you have to be laughing,” preeminent NFL draft guru Mike Mayock tells Peter King of SI.com.  “First, I don’t see much difference between the fifth and 25th picks this year.  And I don’t really see the immediate difference-makers in the top 10.”

The one wild card in the flattening of the top of the draft pool is the fact that there’s a chance a team at the bottom will fall in love with one specific player who is creeping down the board.  That could prompt a trade up, especially if said player fills a specific need for the team looking to make a move.

Need is the key.  By late April, we’ll know what teams did, or didn’t, do in free agency.  Some needs will be filled, and other needs could arise.  And those needs could be enough to get a team to try to make a trade even though, when ignoring the positions the players play, the talent at the top is roughly the same.

I agree, except that I am way sick of the term "pass rusher".  They need OLBs with speed. IMO their need for a pass rusher is overrated.  It would be nice, but the D has been good to great without one.

I chat with him before , we agree the Jets need a bid time RB , The Jets need to think offence for a change , we need to score points

The problem with SJ's plan is that he wants Gio Bernard. but he isn't worth 9 and there is a very good chance he won't be there for our 2nd.

I agree, except that I am way sick of the term "pass rusher".  They need OLBs with speed. IMO their need for a pass rusher is overrated.  It would be nice, but the D has been good to great without one.

The problem with SJ's plan is that he wants Gio Bernard. but he isn't worth 9 and there is a very good chance he won't be there for our 2nd.

Agree, Gio is not #9 worthy.

I am hoping he is there in 2nd round, BUT, my actual plan was to trade out of #9 and accumulate picks. One of those picks (late 1st , early 2nd) I hoped to use on Gio :)

After he runs in April I think Revis will bring a haul.  No one is lining up to place bids for Holmes though.

He is paid like an elite WR.  He’s not.  Good, but not elite.

Something hardly anyone is talking about.  Holmes might not even be recovered this year.  I believe he gets operated on again in April.  This foot injury is serious stuff.  He might not even ever be right again.

Mayock has been raving about Gio's Combine..a Interesting blurb here also about Top 5 Sunday Combine performances

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-looks-at-players-who-shined-Sunday-at-Combine.html

5. Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina: The best of the running backs today, one scout told us that Bernard “looked like Ray Rice athletically” in the workout. Displaying quick feet and a rare explosive burst changing directions he showed he should be a very elusive back in the NFL. Another scout told me that Bernard looked like “the real deal” and definitely warrants being picked in the first round when you combine his workout with his outstanding production at North Carolina.

We would need to luck out at #9 in Round 2 or trade down and get him at bottom of Round 1.

Archived