If Traded QB Foles Perfect Fit For Jets

JetNation

Chip Kelly being hired new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles has created much discussion as to which quarterback would be running his offense.  The former University of Oregon coach is known for a fast pace offensive system which requires an athletic quarterback that can handle both passing and rushing.

Current Eagles quarterback Michael Vick was a candidate for release as a high salary and numerous injuries had slowed his production but Kelly saw the athletic Vick as a potential fit for his offense.  So the Eagles recently came to terms on a new deal which will keep Vick in Philadelphia at least one more year.  They’re also considering signing former Oregon Ducks quarterback Dennis Dixon who played under Kelly in college.

Eagles 2012 third round draft pick quarterback Nick Foles, 6’6”, 243, out of the University of Arizona, skill set isn’t tailor made for the Kelly offense as he’s more of a drop-back pocket passer than a rushing threat.

Foles did have an impressive preseason completing 63.5% of passes with a quarterback rating of 110.1 last year.  After Vick suffered a concussion week ten of the season against the Dallas Cowboys Foles took over the quarterback position remaining there till the end of the year.

He completed 161-of-265 passes, 60.8% completion, 6 touchdowns, 5 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 79.1 during the regular season.  He also had an excellent pass-to-interception ratio of 1.9% with 265 passes thrown but only 5 intercepted, ranking fifth best in the league in this category.

While the Eagles had some impressive offensive players like running back LeSean McCoy along with receivers Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson their offense line struggled with injuries and poor play most of the year giving up 48 sacks as the team ended the season with a 4-12 record.  Given the many issues facing the Eagles last year Foles showed the potential to be a successful quarterback in this league.

With Foles possibly being odd man out with Kelly’s offense there has been speculation Philadelphia’s former head coach Andy Reid, now coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, would be interested in obtaining the quarterback but if Foles is put on the trading block it would make sense for the Jets to try and acquire him.

Already having familiarity with new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s system Foles spent his rookie year learning and then playing under it.  He would have an excellent chance at earning the starting job with the Jets as their current quarterback situation is completely unsettled.

Trading for high priced quarterbacks like the 49ers Alex Smith or Seahawks Matt Flynn seem unrealistic given the Jets salary cap issues but Foles is under a rookie contract making the salary very reasonable.

A quarterback with Foles upside potential would definitely be worth looking at if he was available.  The asking price for a trade would be the biggest deterrent to obtaining Foles as there would be many suitors given the perception this quarterback draft class is not very strong and numerous teams being in need of a starting caliber quarterback.

Only time will tell if the Eagles will take offers for Foles or have him compete for a starting job in their new offense but if available it makes sense for the Jets to attempt acquiring him.

I disagree. He's actually the perfect candidate in my eyes considering cap/price/available options

Exactly.  I'd much rather take him than the likes of Alex Smith or the other high priced cats.  We're most likely replacing whoever we sign anyway, unless they turn out better than expected.

Andy picked Foles once and he'll do it again. This isn't really an option for the Jets. Foles already knows Andy's plays and will pay more than the Jets, by virtue of their better draft position (1 instead of 9 in every round) and not wanting to draft Geno. 

Andy picked Foles once and he'll do it again. This isn't really an option for the Jets. Foles already knows Andy's plays and will pay more than the Jets, by virtue of their better draft position (1 instead of 9 in every round) and not wanting to draft Geno. 

I think Foles is probably better than any QB in this draft fwiw.  So that said, if they're thinking about taking one in the 2nd, then give up a second and get him and ride it. I can't deal with Sanchez starting another year. Foles is by far the best option. 

Agreed -- slam dunk Foles will wind up with Andy.  If this were not the case, I'd take him without giving up an arm and a leg.

Foles > Nassib, Glennon, Bray, Wilson, Manuel etc etc. whoever else people want in the 2nd. Just gotta look at it that way.

That is the way I'd look at it. Foles would actually be cheaper than a second round pick because there'd be no signing bonus, too. If Mornhinweg likes him, he's definitely worth a look.

right so if the Jets and Chiefs both offer a 2nd, the Chiefs is a better pick. The Jets would have to overpay for Foles.

Didn't the Chiefs already do the whole second for a promising backup turned temporary starter thing? I'm sure Reid likes Foles, but Reid might be the best coach in the NFL at getting nobody QBs to produce. Cassel is still under contract there IIRC, and when healthy he's not half bad. More likely Reid probably squeezes good performance out of him or Stanzi, who isn't a bad developmental QB. 

I

reid trading for foles seems more likely than reid trying to make cassel or stanzi good.

Why does it seem that way? Cassel has pulled off multiple (two) quality starting seasons as a starter, and it's not some crazy out there idea that a healthy him can thrive under Reid. Stanzi is eh (only one of those 60%/3000 yard college seasons while Foles has three), but not untalented as a developmental guy.

You don't sell the farm for him, but you certainly inquire about him.

If MM likes him, don't get in a bidding war with KC, but see if he is available

I agree with this.  If he's available, you have to kick the tires to see what the cost would be. 

Why does it seem that way? Cassel has pulled off multiple (two) quality starting seasons as a starter, and it's not some crazy out there idea that a healthy him can thrive under Reid. Stanzi is eh (only one of those 60%/3000 yard college seasons while Foles has three), but not untalented as a developmental guy.

to put this conversation into perspective, Cassel is viewed as a worse QB than Sanchez. The Chiefs are actually more desperate than the Jets to replace their QB. 

Fwiw today the Eagles said it would take a big deal to get Foles. I think that's posturing considering he's got no use in Chip Kelly's offense. 

you are probably right.  but won't he know the Jets plays also?  he might have a better relationship with MM.  Of course Foles has nothing to say about where he plays, tho.

Archived