Greatest Moments in NY Jets History

SouthernJet

Ya, I know Super bowl III is our claim to fame and thankfully I was 17 when it was played and remember it all :)

But take away SB III from equation, lets have fun and list our favorite NY Jets Moments in History.

I will start:

Sitting with 150 Jets fans in Sports Bar in Raleigh in Jan. 1999 leading Broncos 10-0 at halftime. We thought we were heading to the Super Bowl. Great, great feeling.

Note: (2nd half was one of worst Jets memories)

Watching the monday night miracle with some dolphin fans over my house talking all kinds of junk, they left my house at halftime and went home to bed. Nothing better then calling them at 1am, waking them up and shutting them up.

1 - Beating New England in the divisionals 2 years ago - sweet redemption

2 - Chrebets TD catch in the Flashlight Bowl shutting  Meshwan the F up

3 - Monday night Miracle

4- Stoping the crap out of Green Bay to take the division in 02 after a wild wild early game special

5- Curtis Martin Hall of Famer

no particular order.

Dec. 20, 1981 at Shea.

12 inch snowstorm night before in Poughkeepsie, so getting to game took longer, LOL.

Freezing game (wind 21 mph, wind chill 9), but if Jets beat Packers they advance to Playoffs.

What made this game even more memorable was the day before the Giants beat the Cowboys in NY to 'stay alive' for playoffs. BUT, they needed the Jets to beat Packers to advance. many Giants players attended the game and stood/sat on Jets bench cheering/hand slapping them on whole game.

Jets won 28-3.

Sadly, following week, we lost to Bills 31-27 at Shea in 1st week of playoffs in a game we should have won. We gave them a fumble return TD right out of gate, lost momentum, fell behind 24-0 and closed to within 4 and Todd gets Intercepted at freakin goaline as clock clicked off. 

November 1971.

1st place San Francisco 49ers in town to play the Jets on a cold and windy day at Shea Stadium.

My first "live" Jets game.

The game is "blacked out" in the New York market, so few see the game. 

Rumors fly the day before the game that the Jets may activate Joe Namath, who had been out most of the season when he was hurt in the first pre-season game and required what was thought to be, at the time, season ending knee surgery.

My dad, a NYC cop at the time, somehow gets his hands on 2 tickets, knowing that his kid's football hero might actually play for the first time in 2 seasons.

The Jets activate Namath just before game time, although he does not start, and is designated the 3rd QB for the game. 

The Jets fall behind 17-0 in the 3rd quarter, QB Bob Davis gets hurt, and Namath comes in to lead a frantic 4th quarter comeback against the best defense in the league.

Unfortunately, the Jets fall short 24-21.

I'll never forget sitting in the stands after the game almost a full 1/2 hour after the game was finished, and the stadium was still packed with people. The buzz was unbelievable.

I think John Schmitt once said it was the greatest game his Jets team ever played and lost.

It is, to this day, the loudest crowd I've ever witnessed for any sporting event... And I was "in the house" for the Rangers Stanley Cup win in '94, a number of the '86 Mets post season wins, and the Jacksonville playoff game in '98.

I'll never forget it, or the fact that my Dad did everything he could to get me in the stadium that day.

Being in Shea stadium in 1981 for the playoff game against the bills. Jets fumble opening kickoff and bills run it in for TD. Then the Jets fumbled the ensuing kickoff lol

The Jets almost came back and won that game. But almost doesn't count.

The game before this one was against Green Bay, and that was one of the coldest games I was ever at. What a pos stadium Shea was

1 - Beating New England in the divisionals 2 years ago - sweet redemption

2 - Chrebets TD catch in the Flashlight Bowl shutting  Meshwan the F up

3 - Monday night Miracle

4- Stoping the crap out of Green Bay to take the division in 02 after a wild wild early game special

5- Curtis Martin Hall of Famer

no particular order.

You didn't include sitting in a bar with NJ and 100 other Jets fans in Chicago on 9/9/2012 as we dispelled all doubts about our young QB and sputtering offense when we hung 48 on the Bills.

To truly follow S.J.'s lead in the thread I will thusly add the footnote  - only six games later, following the last effort that displayed any respectability, the Jets went on to reach new lows in most measurable categories and left us without a viable QB or much in the way of hope for the near term.  

You didn't include sitting in a bar with NJ and 100 other Jets fans in Chicago on 9/9/2012 as we dispelled all doubts about our young QB and sputtering offense when we hung 48 on the Bills.

To truly follow S.J.'s lead in the thread I will thusly add the footnote  - only six games later, following the last effort that displayed any respectability, the Jets went on to reach new lows in most measurable categories and left us without a viable QB or much in the way of hope for the near term.  

A great time -- too bad it was short lived -- I plan on being there opening day next year too. Depending on who they play.

Now if we were to do a worst moment thread I may include the SF game 3 weeks later at that same bar -- Ugly as ugly can get and the bad part I felt it could not get worse than that. Boy was I wrong.

Being in Shea stadium in 1981 for the playoff game against the bills. Jets fumble opening kickoff and bills run it in for TD. Then the Jets fumbled the ensuing kickoff lol

The Jets almost came back and won that game. But almost doesn't count.

The game before this one was against Green Bay, and that was one of the coldest games I was ever at. What a pos stadium Shea was

I was at that game also Sir!!!! I forget who fumbled? Bruce Harper?

You take 1st 2 minutes away we win that game :(

First game I can remember-Namath and Unitas , both really close to the end. both lighting it up.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197209240clt.htm

The first game I went to was the rematch at Shea.  Just as exciting.  I still have the ticket stub around somewhere.  Check out 3:37 for the Hail Mary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUaAByPmToU

Archived