Revis Vents About Trade Rumors In NFL Network Interview

JetNation

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis let his frustration be known about the team’s handling of trade rumors involving the All-Pro in an interview scheduled to air tonight at 7 pm on NFL Network:

“I need answers, and I’m not getting any,” Revis said on NFL Network. “Just the fact that (those rumors were) put out there instead of contacting your best player. … If that’s how you want to do business, then that’s fine.”

Source: Roto-World

Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reports Revis feeling “speechless” when hearing that he had been subject of trade conversations and conveyed that emotion via twitter upon finding out about them:

“I was speechless; I tweeted it out I was speechless. I was speechless because I didn’t get a phone call. I know it’s a business – just call me; don’t have it lingering out there. I need answers and I’m not getting any,” Revis says in the interview with Andrea Kremer. “Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team. If that’s how you want to do business, then that’s fine.”

Revis is still recovering from a torn anterior cruciate (knee) ligament (ACL) but is expected to begin “light running and condition drills” as soon as April.  Jason LaCanfora of CBSsports.com reported January 23rd that Jets owner Woody Johnson was looking at possibly trading the cornerback as Revis is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season who cannot be tagged (restricted) by the Jets after his contract expires.

With the Jets having tight finances Johnson along with new general manager John Idzik might see no alternative but to look at trade opportunities in an effort to get something back for Revis instead of just letting him leave for another team in 2014.

Idzik did reach out via telephone on January 25th to clear the air with Revis soon after the LaConfora report:

New general manager, John Idzik, reached out on Thursday to ask him to “give us a chance” to evaluate the entire roster. Idzik told NBC’s “Pro Football Talk” on Friday that Revis “reacted well” to the phone call, which came after Idzik, Coach Rex Ryan and the owner Woody Johnson were noncommittal about Revis’s future with the team. Revis expressed his frustration on Twitter, prompting the call from Idzik.

Source: New York Times.com / Associated Press

It appears issues facing the Jets and Darrelle Revis will only grow worse as the year progresses since there is no simple solution to his current contract situation.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sick of his whining. He wants every dime they have and a shoeshine besides.  Are they supposed to love him as a person because he is so good?  Mr. Holdout.  Such a team guy.  I respect his talent.  I haven't one ounce of respect for his attitude or his character.

Why would they tell Revis about trade talks?  Makes no sense at all yea lets get his agent involved in the circus because thats exactly what would happen if they alerted Revis.  

Revis is the one who made it all about $$$$$$ and business, now he wants to be treated like family?  F him.

I really fail to see any issue, unless this wording was phrased as "he was speechless" and not "he is speechless," which in and of itself is funny, considering you are going on national radio to talk about being without word.  Looking past that, I thought this was squashed pretty quickly when reports came out the day of the rumors that Idzik called him and said there are no trade talks as he hasn't even had time to analyze the roster.  If Revis is going to bitch about Idzik doing his due-diligence in the first couple weeks on the job, than it just further strengthens the notion of how he doesn't care about anybody but himself.

Why would Revis be upset if the Jets traded him.

1)  If a team trades for him it will be a contender.  A team that thinks his addition would put them over the top.

2)  If a team is going to give up some draft picks, I would assume they are willing to pay him.  They would know what he wants.

Win Win situation fro Revis

If the Jets can get a Top 20 pick in return it's a no-brainer to move him before the draft, dump salary (including pick 6's $9M) in 2013, and rebuild. 

I think this is really where the team is at -- it's not a matter of a few additions putting us into truly serious contention for the brass ring.  Getting top value for Mevi$ by getting two or three teams involved should be a no brainer -- entirely possible and likely with Tanny gone.

No offense to Idzik, I really hope he is great. But, he hasn't had a draft here to be evaluated on. So I am in the keep Revis camp. Draft picks are great but the Jets track record isn't that good with them. So let's just keep the one hall of famer we did draft.

This is all so absurd. Revis has no right to be involved in anything. He signed a contract. The Jets own that contract.  If they want to trade him for 4 tickets to Disney world they can.  Just the same way that in that contract it states that Revis can't receive the franchise tag. Revis made out fine with the contract and will make out fine again.  I wish everyone on this team would not jump up and react over every single report that comes out.  The media has a field day with us. It's a joke.

Lay a 3 yr/$36 million dollar ($21m guaranteed) extension on the table. If he declines it, go on Francesa and heavily imply that all options are being considered. Wait until the day before the draft and let Jerry Jones offer you his whole draft for Revis. Someone will overpay for him because someone will think they're one great corner away from a title.

All I can say about this is, he should act like a leader and stifle himself until he's with the right audience - the GM.

Otherwise, keep it in the locker room. I've always suspected he was an influencing part of why this team is all out for themselves, always running to the press with their gripes. 

What a baby.

Why would they tell Revis about trade talks?  Makes no sense at all yea lets get his agent involved in the circus because thats exactly what would happen if they alerted Revis.  

Revis is the one who made it all about $$$$$$ and business, now he wants to be treated like family?  F him.

I like this post.  He and Uncle Sean made this about the Benjamins from pretty much day 1.  Now all of the sudden he is upset because the Jets are treating it as such?  I love the guy and would love to see him in green and white but it's gets a little tuffer everyday.

i dont think the drop off from revis to cro is that big

How about the drop off from Cro to say Kyle Wilson?  That is where the real problem is.  We will still have a stud lined up on one side of the field, and where once stood Cro now stands somebody who is in a completely different league as Revis or Cro.

How about the drop off from Cro to say Kyle Wilson?  That is where the real problem is.  We will still have a stud lined up on one side of the field, and where once stood Cro now stands somebody who is in a completely different league as Revis or Cro.

They hadn't stood next to each other all season.  Just never saw the radical drop off in our pass D when Revis was injured and absent.  Though if we do move him 100% agreed we have to look beyond Kyle Wilson. 

Lay a 3 yr/$36 million dollar ($21m guaranteed) extension on the table. If he declines it, go on Francesa and heavily imply that all options are being considered. Wait until the day before the draft and let Jerry Jones offer you his whole draft for Revis. Someone will overpay for him because someone will think they're one great corner away from a title.

That would be really gratifying. Idzik would be the new sheriff in town, too.

They hadn't stood next to each other all season.  Just never saw the radical drop off in our pass D when Revis was injured and absent.  Though if we do move him 100% agreed we have to look beyond Kyle Wilson. 

Our secondary was very good due to Cro and two upgraded safeties.  We may lose both of those safeties.  We either need a consistant pass rush or two top shelf corners, I'd prefer the pass rush...

They hadn't stood next to each other all season. Just never saw the radical drop off in our pass D when Revis was injured and absent. Though if we do move him 100% agreed we have to look beyond Kyle Wilson.

True. Is part of that because we sucked vs. The run?

Wilson is probably an average to slightly below average corner. Though it's  tough to say. Offenses were waiting for the Jets offense to screw the pooch each week, and the LBs were so awful that may be long passing to WRs was pointless if you played the Jets. It might have been a very different story if the Jets offense was a threat to put up 3 or 4 TDs each week and opposing offenses faced pressure to score. In that case perhaps Wilson would have either stepped up or been more exposed. I'd suspect the alter but I don't know.

Archived