Revis Vents About Trade Rumors In NFL Network Interview

JetNation

the Jets aren't choosing between a QB and revis. they are choosing between Revis and not having Revis. The QB discussion is a totally seperate issue. And also note the cap went up today to 122 mil. there's room for a QB and Revis. Once you find this magic QB of course. He's like a friggin unicorn this guy. And Jets fans want to keep 2 tickets at the gate in case Elvis shows up. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Jets aren't choosing between a QB and revis. they are choosing between Revis and not having Revis. The QB discussion is a totally seperate issue. And also note the cap went up today to 122 mil. there's room for a QB and Revis. Once you find this magic QB of course. He's like a friggin unicorn this guy. And Jets fans want to keep 2 tickets at the gate in case Elvis shows up.

Exactly, up until that last sentence/joke/bomb.

3 solid predictions for next year and I can assure you I wont be wrong

1. Revis will be resigned as the Jets are not that dumb to trade him away.

2. Sanchez will be starting week 1.....and yes...he will have a decent/good bounce back year with no Tebow/Sparano in picture anymore

3. Jets will make playoffs but wont go far enough into playoffs to save Rex and the Jets will hire Bill Cowher next off season.

BOOM, Your Welcome

I'm not arguing whether a QB is worth it. Teams know they sustain relevance and are the quickest route to success and I think I acknowledged that in my post. I'm arguing that the way the roster is set up for the next 5 years it is EXTREEEEEEEMELY unlikely the Jets are in a position where they have to pay franchise QB money. Therefore the money is there for another large impact, elite player. Revis is that player. This becomes even more painfully obvious if/when this team takes a pass rusher at 9 and won't have to pay HIM until the team is out of Revis' next deal.

Yes, we all know full well the Jets are in no position to pay that kind of a money to a QB right now.  No one has said otherwise.  I'm just not sure what makes you think that gives credence to the idea of paying that much money to anyone else.  There is a hole in your argument that you seem to think is covered up by the fact that the Jets have nothing but awful players at the QB position, and I simply don't see the connection.  The performance and cost of the Jets current QBs has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to how much Revis is worth.  The sole reason QBs came up in this conversation is because the only players in the NFL who make the amount of money Revis is reportedly looking for are top QBs, by far the league's most valuable (and costly) position.  That's all.

That the Jets are not paying one in no way means all of that money should automatically be paid to just one other player.  You made the point yourself that paying that much money to one player can cause difficulties to teams.  The conclusion would seem to suggest that when not in a position to need to spend that much of your salary cap on a QB, it would be wise to strengthen your team throughout the entire roster in a way that you would be incapable of doing if your team had to account for such a huge contract.  What I can't see is anything that supports the conclusion that another player should be overpaid with a similarly massive contract so that the team still has one person eating up that much of their cap room.

Nobody but Gato has ever said made such an argument.  The only point made about QBs prior to that was that Revis wants to be paid as much as a top QB, which is more than every other position in football and here's the key, he's simply not worth that much.

Nobody but Gato has ever said made such an argument.  The only point made about QBs prior to that was that Revis wants to be paid as much as a top QB, which is more than every other position in football and here's the key, he's simply not worth that much.

Where is the article citing his post-injury contract demands?

Bleedin, Serious question, what do you think Revis is worth. Not what is he asking or what would he accept, what do you think is a fair salary for this player, with this resume (4x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro)

I've read you don't think he's worth 20 or even 16. Ok i can see the case for not overpaying.

What is the number where you think revis is fairly paid? 

Bleedin, Serious question, what do you think Revis is worth. Not what is he asking or what would he accept, what do you think is a fair salary for this player, with this resume (4x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro)

I've read you don't think he's worth 20 or even 16. Ok i can see the case for not overpaying.

I don't know about, BG, but I think a market contract for Revis is between 5 yr $60 -70 mil that he doesn't try to renegotiate in yr 3 of the deal to get $36 mil over the next 2.

And, I think that would be a good contract for the Jets to sign.  They should, however, seek to trade Cro after that.  In that sense, I'd agree with Gato.

I don't know about, BG, but I think a market contract for Revis is between 5 yr $60 -70 mil that he doesn't try to renegotiate in yr 3 of the deal to get $36 mil over the next 2.

And, I think that would be a good contract for the Jets to sign. They should, however, seek to trade Cro after that. In that sense, I'd agree with Gato.

Does the NFL team maintain the right to cut this unreasonable business partner after year three if they feel the need?

Truth be told, I've seen nothing out of Revis since 2009 that makes me think he's markedly better than the other top players at his position today (which is still very, very good of course).  It was a spectacular season that he had no doubt, but not what he should be paid based upon over three years later, as there's no reason to believe he will ever replicate that (it would admittedly be unreasonable to expect him to).

With that said, the recent contracts at his position have dictated the very best are paid between $10-12 million per year, which is even accounting for the typically higher contracts of UFAs.  As such, that's what I'd say he deserves and can't see the justification to go much higher than $12 million, particularly when you consider he's coming off of an injury, is currently under contract, his next contract will push him into his 30s and, quite frankly, he can't be trusted with any deal handing him too much up-front or guaranteed cash.  When you consider a guy as good as Cromartie is getting paid $8 million / year, I can't see any reason to double that (or more) for anyone at the same position.  2 Cromarties >>> 1 Revis.  That's simply the nature of their position more than anything else.

With that said to be completely honest, even if he was willing to take a deal in that range, I still wouldn't be completely against a trade for the right price.

Does the NFL team maintain the right to cut this unreasonable business partner after year three if they feel the need?

Yes, but it doesnt happen after year 2 because of the cap ramifications.  Note that Pace and Scott got cut in the final year of their deals.  A player has every right to renegotiate a contract, but the Revis renegotiations would have greater cap ramifications since it makes it more difficult to cut him if he plays below value.

When a team cuts a player, the team is opting to end his services with the understanding that he is still able to retain any previously paid compensation for future years of service, even though it was never earned.

When a player holds out from a team, he is refusing to perform a service for which he previously accepted, but never earned, compensation from the team.

Until players are forced to pay back all unearned portions of their bonuses when they hold out, the fact that they can be cut is by no means comparable.

What corners have you watched?  I haven't seen anybody close. 

You don't even need to leave the Jets.  Cromartie's 2012 season was as good as anything Revis has done since 2009.  What has Revis done that was so amazing since 2009?  His first half of 2010 was a joke.  He showed up fat and out of shape, played mediocre at best and ultimately got hurt because of his poor shape.  He eventually picked it up in the second half of the season, but the Jets didn't pay for half a season of play.  Last year he played great to start the season but his played slipped in the second half of the year.  By no means bad, but hardly awe-inspiring either.  2012 he hardly played.  So what are we looking at here, somewhere between 16 and 24 games of top play over the course of 3 years?  Keep in mind I'm not calling him anything short of great as an overall player, but he's not the only CB who qualifies as such, and I'm no longer stuck in 2009 either.

You don't even need to leave the Jets.  Cromartie's 2012 season was as good as anything Revis has done since 2009.  What has Revis done that was so amazing since 2009?  His first half of 2010 was a joke.  He showed up fat and out of shape, played mediocre at best and ultimately got hurt because of his poor shape.  He eventually picked it up in the second half of the season, but the Jets didn't pay for half a season of play.  Last year he played great to start the season but his played slipped in the second half of the year.  By no means bad, but hardly awe-inspiring either.  2012 he hardly played.  So what are we looking at here, somewhere between 16 and 24 games of top play over the course of 3 years?  Keep in mind I'm not calling him anything short of great as an overall player, but he's not the only CB who qualifies as such, and I'm no longer stuck in 2009 either.

LOL.  His joke season was the best season by a corner that year. Better than Cromartie's season last year. Considerably better than Jonathan Joseph, another top corner.  I don't know who you watch, but who is better.

Truth be told, I've seen nothing out of Revis since 2009 that makes me think he's markedly better than the other top players at his position today (which is still very, very good of course).  It was a spectacular season that he had no doubt, but not what he should be paid based upon over three years later, as there's no reason to believe he will ever replicate that (it would admittedly be unreasonable to expect him to).

With that said, the recent contracts at his position have dictated the very best are paid between $10-12 million per year, which is even accounting for the typically higher contracts of UFAs.  As such, that's what I'd say he deserves and can't see the justification to go much higher than $12 million, particularly when you consider he's coming off of an injury, is currently under contract, his next contract will push him into his 30s and, quite frankly, he can't be trusted with any deal handing him too much up-front or guaranteed cash.  When you consider a guy as good as Cromartie is getting paid $8 million / year, I can't see any reason to double that (or more) for anyone at the same position.  2 Cromarties >>> 1 Revis.  That's simply the nature of their position more than anything else.

With that said to be completely honest, even if he was willing to take a deal in that range, I still wouldn't be completely against a trade for the right price.

this is a fair response and 12 mil is near the franchise tag level for that position. I'd go at least 2 mil higher than that (Nnamdi is due to make 15.5 but will be cut). 

Here's my problem, 2 Cros is better than Revis? Revis holds out but once he's there he's good every game, Cro only brings it some games.  The team did a good job keeping him involved by playing him on offense but he has been known to check out and some weeks doesn't shows up.  Good Cro Bad Cro

Not to tear down another Jet player just saying why it has to be an either or situation. Keep two good players at a position of strength. 

this is a fair response and 12 mil is near the franchise tag level for that position. I'd go at least 2 mil higher than that (Nnamdi is due to make 15.5 but will be cut). 

Here's my problem, 2 Cros is better than Revis? Revis holds out but once he's there he's good every game, Cro only brings it some games.  The team did a good job keeping him involved by playing him on offense but he has been known to check out and some weeks doesn't shows up.  Good Cro Bad Cro

Not to tear down another Jet player just saying why it has to be an either or situation. Keep two good players at a position of strength. 

Your in the area of 14 million.  I’m at about 12.5 million.  If we were actually doing the deal we would work something out.

The problem is if we agree on a 5 year 65 million contract, in 2 years when Revis has been paid all the guaranteed money, he starts talking hold out.  You wind up actually paying him 20 million a year.

The “Band aid” contract they gave him paid 32.5 million over 2 years, and he started squawking.  How do you assure Woody that he isn’t going to cause major trouble in two years?

How can Idzik set a plan for the future if he doesn’t know what Revis will be asking for in 2 years, after being paid 40 million the past two?

When a team cuts a player, the team is opting to end his services with the understanding that he is still able to retain any previously paid compensation for future years of service, even though it was never earned....

because the team chose not to honor the contract and left him with his *signing bonus* and previous years salaries. How the team spreads the bonus out is their business.

When a player holds out from a team, he is refusing to perform a service for which he previously accepted, but never earned, compensation from the team.

Which is just the inverse of the above situation, probably caused by it even.

Until players are forced to pay back all unearned portions of their bonuses when they hold out, the fact that they can be cut is by no means comparable.

Most bonuses are earned. The call it a signing bonus for a reason. It's the team's way of saying "we can **** you, so take this up front so it's not a total ramrodding come year 4 when we want and can get out." 

Also, give me Revis over Cromartie and Revis over Cromartie + Imaginary Cromartie playing on this Imaginary Jets team with the Imaginary $16-20 million dollar QB.

I know it is, which is why I suggest it. Why isn't he worth it? Some poorly thought out hive mentality built around the QB money argument? Fantastic!! 

Burden of proof would be on you in this one. 

I'm open minded to a well thought out argument. What you have provided thus far is not convincing in the least.

Why do you value a CB so highly, when no one else in the NFL does? Do you know something we mortals do not?

The franchise tag level for CB is about $10.5M.

Paying Revis $14M of new money means his (average) cap hit is $17M.  But it's only $17M if he doesn't hold out to renegotiate.  And it's still a big "if" that he's even willing to sign for that amount in the first place.

What I see him doing (or planning on doing) is getting similar to his present deal but minus his penalty for holding out.  So let's say it's in the neighborhood of $12M/year average, but $32M or so is paid over the first 2 years while carrying $15M cap charges.  Then he holds out.  Jets have to bump him another $3-5M/year for those final 2 years, making his cap charges $18-20M, or cut/trade him then which will result in accelerated cap charges of some $20M or more.

Now that's a rough scenario if you can even get him to agree to a contract that averages $12M/year.  If he wants $2-3M/year more than that, I don't see how that fits for the Jets even if it could fit for other teams.  

Reason it could fit for someone else is they get to start with a clean slate where we would start out with $12M in cap hits we've paid him from prior deals.  It's not nothing, and not even close to nothing.  So with identical contracts from the Jets and another team, a contract that averages $14M in new money counts $14M/year for the other team but $17M/year for the Jets (for the first 2 years prior to the eventual Revis holdout, of course).

When a team cuts a player, the team is opting to end his services with the understanding that he is still able to retain any previously paid compensation for future years of service, even though it was never earned.

It is all comparable because it is all negotiated.  You guys act like the players and the front office go into this process blind to the eventualities.  It's plain for anyone to see that all these things are considered when these deals are made.  Why should they have to give back a signing bonus? They signed, didn't they.  The Giants lost that case for trying not to pay Burress the installments on his, which he agreed to delay for the team's benefit.

Archived