Report: New York Jets eye Tim Tebow trade at combine

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143189/article/report-new-york-jets-eye-tim-tebow-trade-at-combine

Report: New York Jets eye Tim Tebow trade at combine

In the hopes of finding one team that believes it can't live without Tim Tebow, the New York Jets are going to hold off cutting the controversial quarterback as long as possible.

The Jets will shop Tebow at the NFL Scouting Combine this weekend, ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reported Wednesday.

Trades cannot be made until the new league year begins March 12, so the Jets have about 2½ weeks to hold out for a partner.

The Jets gave up a fourth- and a sixth-round pick for Tebow and a seventh-rounder last offseason. They'd be lucky to get that sixth-rounder back for him now.

It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that the Jets would try to convince a quarterback-needy franchise to take Tebow off their hands at the combine -- possibly amid points to other players with a sly, "Look, are you really going to draft that guy?"

For the next couple weeks, the Jets can try and get compensation for Tebow, but in the end, when they've realized that well has long since dried up, they'll likely just end up cutting him.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

I don't think it has to be a QB need franchise.  Just a team that thinks they can use him as a gimmick or backup QB.  He is not necessarily a horrible option as a backup.  He's won games and playoff games.  The main problems are the circus atmosphere and the fact that you might have to change the offense around too much.  If they can get a 6th fine.  Why shouldn't they try?

I don't think it has to be a QB need franchise. Just a team that thinks they can use him as a gimmick or backup QB. He is not necessarily a horrible option as a backup. He's won games and playoff games. The main problems are the circus atmosphere and the fact that you might have to change the offense around too much. If they can get a 6th fine. Why shouldn't they try?

Nailed him as a backup. His play isn't the issue as a backup QB so much as the stupid media nonsense his new team will have to deal with it.

It doesn't sound like the Jets are too desperate to trade him, does it? I ALMOST want to see what Marty M can do for him as a QB.

Good decision by Tebow.

DALLAS — New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has backed out of an appearance at a Baptist mega church in Dallas run by a pastor who has created controversy with his remarks about gays and other faiths.

Tebow tweeted Thursday that he canceled a scheduled April 28 appearance at First Baptist Church due to "new information that has been brought to my attention."

"I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day," Tebow wrote.

The Rev. Robert Jeffress, First Baptist's pastor, confirmed in a phone interview that Tebow called him Wednesday night to cancel.

Jeffress said Tebow told him he would like to speak at First Baptist at some point, but "he needed to avoid controversy right now for personal and professional reasons."

Jeffress has preached that gay sex is sinful, Mormonism is a cult and Islam promotes violence and pedophilia. He said Thursday that First Baptist was being mischaracterized as a "hate church," and that the church's teachings were consistent with historic Christian beliefs.

Tebow wasn't going to speak about anything controversial, Jeffress said.

"We had planned for him to speak very positively about the difference Jesus Christ had made in his life," Jeffress said.

Tebow won two BCS championships and the Heisman Trophy at Florida, but he has struggled to make it in the NFL. He barely played last season after the Jets traded for him from the Denver Broncos, where he started much of the season in 2011 and won a playoff game.

Tebow is a devout Christian who has built a large following through his faith. He has addressed church audiences before. Last year, he spoke to about 15,000 people gathered at an outdoor Easter service north of Austin.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

No, no, no, put the gun back in the drawer. We gave up a 4th and a 6th, and we received a personal punt protector AND a 7th in return.

Now, don't you feel better?

Not much. But it's better then giving up 3 picks. If we can get anything for him I'd be shocked. Maybe Jerry jones wants to sell some jerseys and sh*t.

And I live in S Florida we carry our guns.

Good decision by Tebow.

DALLAS — New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has backed out of an appearance at a Baptist mega church in Dallas run by a pastor who has created controversy with his remarks about gays and other faiths.

Tebow tweeted Thursday that he canceled a scheduled April 28 appearance at First Baptist Church due to "new information that has been brought to my attention."

"I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day," Tebow wrote.

The Rev. Robert Jeffress, First Baptist's pastor, confirmed in a phone interview that Tebow called him Wednesday night to cancel.

Jeffress said Tebow told him he would like to speak at First Baptist at some point, but "he needed to avoid controversy right now for personal and professional reasons."

Jeffress has preached that gay sex is sinful, Mormonism is a cult and Islam promotes violence and pedophilia. He said Thursday that First Baptist was being mischaracterized as a "hate church," and that the church's teachings were consistent with historic Christian beliefs.

Tebow wasn't going to speak about anything controversial, Jeffress said.

"We had planned for him to speak very positively about the difference Jesus Christ had made in his life," Jeffress said.

Tebow won two BCS championships and the Heisman Trophy at Florida, but he has struggled to make it in the NFL. He barely played last season after the Jets traded for him from the Denver Broncos, where he started much of the season in 2011 and won a playoff game.

Tebow is a devout Christian who has built a large following through his faith. He has addressed church audiences before. Last year, he spoke to about 15,000 people gathered at an outdoor Easter service north of Austin.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

He did not cancel because of the pastor's views. If that was the case he would have done it immediately after it was disclosed in news reports last week.

He waited till Wednesday evening so he could get enough idea of what the feedback was from people. After all what people think about you translates into image which convert to marketing dollars so why take a chance.

Good decision by Tebow.

Down goes the possibility of any trade to Jacksonville!

Count me in as a former Tebow fan that has lost the faith. Not only do I thinks he is done barring a ballsy coach or one of the good teams picking him up as a backup, I finally think he sucks and it doesn't make sense. He clearly has better physical skills than some of the bottom rung of QBs but he hasn't learned to take his game to the next level.

What I see is "no confidence" and no understanding of how to navigate in the corporate world. Lets face it the NFL is no different than any corporation, the players are no necessarily the worlds best athletes, rather they are people that have a mix of "good" ability and know how to suceed in the business world.

The lack of confidence iis so puzzling because Tebow has serious physical attributes, a 38" vertical leap, agile enough to get past the linebackers, and big time strength. Unfortunately for him it's not translating into an NFL career. Maybe he should dump the nice guy routine and join the MMA.

Good luck to you Tebow, when you learn how to be successful in the NFL ill give you another look, until that time adios.

Not much. But it's better then giving up 3 picks. If we can get anything for him I'd be shocked. Maybe Jerry jones wants to sell some jerseys and sh*t.

And I live in S Florida we carry our guns.

Haha, I'm in TX, so I know all about gun toting and Jerry Jones. I would agree that getting anything in return for Tebow is highly unlikely.

Archived