are the ravens dumb enough to franchise flacco?

ylekram

dude wants big money,but if a qb starved team could sneak in and up 2 first rounders,they would be set at qb for a decade.thoughts?

As long as its not "This" Q.B starved Team, beside with the 8.5 mill Mexican Mill stone round our necks, we can't pay the cleaning. Lady let alone a QB wanting 20 Mill per.

M

Why the insinuation that the Ravens management is dumb? They are a well run franchise with a top shelf GM and HC and own 2 superbowl trophies. They were smart enough to draft Flacco from a small school and I doubt they will let him go after his playoff and superbowl performances.

If its an exclusive franchise tag ($20m) rather than nonexclusive ($14.6m) then no other team can offer him a contract.

I'd probably franchise him then and see how he follows that season up.  He certainly looked to turn a corner in the playoffs but he's a very inconsistent QB in the regular season.  Which, i guess you live with if he gets you to the playoff every year and then raises his play.

I'd probably franchise him then and see how he follows that season up.  He certainly looked to turn a corner in the playoffs but he's a very inconsistent QB in the regular season.  Which, i guess you live with if he gets you to the playoff every year and then raises his play.

This makes sense except for the money.  The problem is the exclusive tag and escalators.  Ravens franchise him in 2013 and he's $20M on the cap. He'd then be looking for an extension based on that.  Ravens try to franchise him again and it will be $25M on the cap.  Now, of course, Flacco could struggle in 2013 and the Ravens would have the opportunity to put the non-exclusive tag, but then they run the risk of losing him.

The best thing for both sides is to strike a longterm deal right now.

This makes sense except for the money.  The problem is the exclusive tag and escalators.  Ravens franchise him in 2013 and he's $20M on the cap. He'd then be looking for an extension based on that.  Ravens try to franchise him again and it will be $25M on the cap.  Now, of course, Flacco could struggle in 2013 and the Ravens would have the opportunity to put the non-exclusive tag, but then they run the risk of losing him.

The best thing for both sides is to strike a longterm deal right now.

I think the franchise tag is also contingent upon being a 20% raise over last year's pay.  So if he makes $20M in 2013 and then in 2014 the franchise tag is $16M, it would still cost the Ravens $24M to franchise tag Flacco.

It is (or used to be) the average of the top 5 players at the position or a 20% raise over last year, whichever is greater.

I think the franchise tag is also contingent upon being a 20% raise over last year's pay.  So if he makes $20M in 2013 and then in 2014 the franchise tag is $16M, it would still cost the Ravens $24M to franchise tag Flacco.

It is (or used to be) the average of the top 5 players at the position or a 20% raise over last year, whichever is greater.

I knew about the escalator, but I thought a team could essentially use a lower tag the following year without it kicking in.  So once the Ravens use the exclusive tag they are stuck with it.

I knew about the escalator, but I thought a team could essentially use a lower tag the following year without it kicking in.  So once the Ravens use the exclusive tag they are stuck with it.

Due to a tag or not, the salary they paid him in 2013 is the salary they paid him in 2013.  You can't give someone a pay cut from the salary you paid him the prior year by tagging him.  At least that's my understanding as to how it was.  I have no knowledge of it being different under the current CBA, but it could be.  

Funny this is what I thought Sanchez would be. Flacco also played very good throughout the playoffs last season and if not for a ball dropped right in a WR's chest Flacco would have been in 2 straight SB's not sure how much more he could do.

Archived