Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

lanightmare225

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Smith is purgatory.

I remember when Obama was elected in 2008 and I was sitting in a bar. Lauren the bartender put the phone on speaker and it was a bunch of her relatives in Ireland singing and celebrating our new emperor's rise to power. You could sense in many a feeling of hope and change that day. I just Googled the first Chief's message board I can find and it's the opposite of that, more like Joseph Goebbels somehow snuck into office.

if he's traded it means they worked out a long term deal with the other team. the niners wouldn't give up all those picks for a rental.

No, but they might give up their late 2nd this year, and  conditional  picks of their 1st (late round)  and KC's 2nd in next year's draft if they get him signed.  Which they probably will 

I just Googled the first Chief's message board I can find and it's the opposite of that, more like Joseph Goebbels somehow snuck into office.

the last month or so I've been arguing with KC fans about who should go 1. these fans are delusional. they hope blindly. They say things like "Geno is better than Mcnabb coming out" and "If they take Geno and he fails, so what at least they tried."

It sucks for them that they got this high pick in such a crap QB year but it is what it is. Alex Smith and Joeckel isn't gonna get you fired. Geno Smith will get you fired.  Especially if you throw him to the wolves. He needs to sit multiple years like Aaron Rodgers and learn but 1 overall means he's starting week 1 and getting obliterated. 

it's funny because a Jets fan can tell you how bad it hurts to draft a QB high and have him not pan out. Their response to that is basically " Sanchez  pick was awesome, we haven't won a playoff game since the 1990's. "

Alex Smith headed to Chiefs following deal with 49ers, report says

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on February 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM, updated February 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It was hard to imagine the money working in a deal between the Jets and 49ers for Alex Smith, but he was one of the best quarterbacks being shopped or in free agency this offseason.

We say was because Smith is headed to the Chiefs, according to a report from Fox's Jay Glazer. The 49ers gave up a second rounder this year and a similar pick in 2014. Glazer says they've made a clear commitment to Smith.

After the Bills signed Tarvaris Jackson and the Eagles signed Michael Vick, we talked about the changing quarterback landscape and how that will effect the Jets. They will undoubtedly bring in competition for Mark Sanchez, though it's unclear if they mean through the draft or free agency. John Idzik mentioned both as possibilities and the team met with Mike Glennon (NC State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) and Matt Barkley (USC) among others in Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine.

In the meantime, here's what the list of available pros looks like. Names like Matt Moore and Jason Campbell definitely stand out. Also, don't count out Sanchez just yet. Marty Mornhinweg's system is QB friendly and could pick him out of his slump.

Alex Smith
Matt Moore
Tarvaris Jackson
Jason Campbell
David Garrard
Josh Johnson
Byron Leftwich
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Rex Grossman
David Carr
Derek Anderson
Drew Stanton
Chase Daniel
Brian Hoyer
Charlie Batch
Bruce Gradkowski
Kellen Clemens
Tyler Thigpen
Josh McCown
Sage Rosenfels
Seneca Wallace
Donovan McNabb
A.J. Feeley
Troy Smith
Luke McCown
Chris Redman
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
J.P. Losman
Kevin O'Connell

Alex Smith headed to Chiefs following deal with 49ers, report says

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

on February 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM, updated February 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It was hard to imagine the money working in a deal between the Jets and 49ers for Alex Smith, but he was one of the best quarterbacks being shopped or in free agency this offseason.

We say was because Smith is headed to the Chiefs, according to a report from Fox's Jay Glazer. The 49ers gave up a second rounder this year and a similar pick in 2014. Glazer says they've made a clear commitment to Smith.

After the Bills signed Tarvaris Jackson and the Eagles signed Michael Vick, we talked about the changing quarterback landscape and how that will effect the Jets. They will undoubtedly bring in competition for Mark Sanchez, though it's unclear if they mean through the draft or free agency. John Idzik mentioned both as possibilities and the team met with Mike Glennon (NC State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) and Matt Barkley (USC) among others in Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine.

In the meantime, here's what the list of available pros looks like. Names like Matt Moore and Jason Campbell definitely stand out. Also, don't count out Sanchez just yet. Marty Mornhinweg's system is QB friendly and could pick him out of his slump.

Alex Smith

Matt Moore

Tarvaris Jackson

Jason Campbell

David Garrard

Josh Johnson

Byron Leftwich

Brady Quinn

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Derek Anderson

Drew Stanton

Chase Daniel

Brian Hoyer

Charlie Batch

Bruce Gradkowski

Kellen Clemens

Tyler Thigpen

Josh McCown

Sage Rosenfels

Seneca Wallace

Donovan McNabb

A.J. Feeley

Troy Smith

Luke McCown

Chris Redman

John Beck

Jordan Palmer

J.P. Losman

Kevin O'Connell

That list is awful.

Everybody wins in Alex Smith trade to Chiefs

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

What happened in the NFL on a quiet Wednesday afternoon was something extremely rare: A trade was made in the NFL and everyone involved in the trade won. Yes, everyone.

The Chiefs win. They get Alex Smith, who despite limited arm strength and a rocky career has rebounded to where he's one of the more solid throwers in football. Smith is 20-8-1 (including the playoffs) the past two years.

The 49ers win. They will get, at least, a reported second-round pick in 2013. They have their quarterback of the future in Colin Kaepernick and now get two high picks for Smith. Those picks are gold.

Alex Smith wins. He gets to be a starter. He's rewarded for being a class act. Kaepernick wins. It's his team now. Andy Reid, coach of the Chiefs, also wins. He gets his starter to build the offense around.

See what I mean?

Sure, you can poke holes in some of the trade, or all of this, but you'd be pushing it. Smith is still relatively young, he's smart and adaptable. He's perfect for Reid's system, particularly since Reid doesn't have his pass throwers toss deep balls. His system values short-range accuracy and Smith can do that.

Smith isn't a stopgap. He can play another five years, minimum, at a top level.

This approach for Reid is far smarter than going through the draft. Who would you rather have? Matt Barkley or Alex Smith? I'll take Smith. Every personnel evaluator would take Smith for what could end up being two second-rounders.

NFL history is riddled with the carcasses of high draft picks who have gone on to be busts. Go down the list: David Carr, Todd Marinovich, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Dave Brown, Joey Harrington, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Rick Mirer and, maybe the biggest quarterback bust of all time, Ryan Leaf.

On and on it goes.

You get the proven commodity. That's it. That's all. Especially if that commodity has proven to be good.

So, for one of the first times ever, in an NFL trade:
Everyone wins.

Isn't Alex Smith a good QB for a west coast offense? If so, we should have made a play for him.

This caveat needs to die. A good QB is a good QB is a good QB, system be damned. 

That list is awful.

If he's let go by the Saints I would look to land Chase Daniels on the cheap, MAYBE. Depends really on what happens...not completely uninterested in Flynn tbh. 

I am just surprised how people say this is a great deal for the 49ers. If the JETS were in the same situation where they traded away a player acquired with the 1st pick of the draft for maximum of 2 second rounders this board would be full of people calling the GM who drafted him every name in the book!

It is.

It is not like they are trading Peyton Manning.  He was a bust for three season and has been decent the last four.

The 49ers are going in a different direction and now have two good draft picks for a guy they do not want. 

I think this can work for KC. They have a shot to build an O-Line around him, maybe pick Joekel. he is a compentent and fairly accurate QB. He gives them a professional starting QB with playoff experience. He is still in his 20s.

I think if the idea was to skip over picking Geno with #1 Smith is probably better than what they would have grabbed with the top pick in the 2nd round. I'd love Geno to slip to #9 so the Jets can maybe get a bidding war in and trade the pick, but I can't see AZ letting him get by them.

Although the team that could really benefit here is Jacksonille. I could see interested teams being sold that the Raider would be picking Geno Smith, and if someone really wanted to jump over Oakland, Jax could get a decent bounty, move down out of the top 10 and gather some picks.

Archived