Sources: Niners in pursuit of Darrelle Revis

JetsFanInDenver

Yes, you've skewered us once again. We all sit in our mom's basements and pray that the Jets trade their best player for pennies on the dollar. How can you waste your deductive powers here, when so many crimes go unsolved everyday?

Ill take it one step further, those that want Revis gone, are doing so for personal reasons (not liking his hold out etc.) not for football reasons. There's no way this team gets better by trading Revis, I don't care how many picks they get. The rams got a bunch of picks for RG3 and the Redskins went to the playoffs. Quality always trumps quantity. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing precludes the Jets from trading Revis now and still signing him to a FA contract after 2013.   

Revis is going to the highest bidder no matter what.  Personally, I think it's foolish to pay a CB 15M/yr but if Idzik want to bet his job on it that's his decision but he may as well make it after the 2013 season.   

I do not think any team will be willing to part away with upper round picks for a one year rental. A trade of Revis will also involve a new contract for Revis. Otherwise we are not getting good compensation in which case its better to just keep Revis.

Ill take it one step further, those that want Revis gone, are doing so for personal reasons (not liking his hold out etc.) not for football reasons. There's no way this team gets better by trading Revis, I don't care how many picks they get. The rams got a bunch of picks for RG3 and the Redskins went to the playoffs. Quality always trumps quantity. 

Actually, the reason you do it is that you try and get back some form of value, which you won't get if you allow him to hit FA.

My belief is that Revis does not want to stay here, he is poisoned against this franchise and there is really nothing that will straighten that. 

Actually, the reason you do it is that you try and get back some form of value, which you won't get if you allow him to hit FA.

My belief is that Revis does not want to stay here, he is poisoned against this franchise and there is really nothing that will straighten that. 

I don't think it has anything to do with the franchise, I think it's only about the $$ to Darelle.   If anything, I think Revis likes playing for Rex who plays up the whole "Revis Island" stuff.  

The reason you trade Revis is because he is going to walk post 2013 and there is no way the Jets out-bid the rest of the league to keep him in '14.  

It's not about personal reasons, it's the fact you don't pay Revis Peyton Manning money no matter how great he is.   Revis doesn't make the Jets a winner next year by himself.  Him being healthy and having a great season like 2009 next season doesn't suddenly turn the Jets into a 12-4 super bowl contender.   That's why you don't pay a CB $16 million per year.    

The Broncos paid Champ Bailey top dollar years ago, traded a lot for him, and the truth is, the Broncos were a non playoff non factor team for most of the guys career.  Now the Broncos are a legit contender and Bailey is old and no longer that good.    And Revis is asking to be paid as one of the top players in the NFL.    When you want top pay, you better turn a franchise around.   And Revis doesn't come close to doing that.   He's a great all pro shut down corner, if healthy,  but he's not returning picks, not returning kicks, and he's not turning a team around form 6-10 to 12-4.  

CBs just aren't all that important compared to a QB.   Joe Flacco just had a Montana like postseason.  And won a super bowl.  There were some lucky moments along the way, but the Ravens won because of Joe Flacco.  The Broncos went from an 8-8 team to 13-3 because of Peyton Manning.   You mention RG3.  Rg3 is a QB.  The Redskins think he's the Future QB who could become a HOF QB.    

There is a huge difference between paying top dollar to an All pro QB who can turn a franchise around compared to an all pro CB who, even if he is a HOF player, the team still finishes 8-8.   It's not about Revis's personality, even though a part of it is, because guys who hold out, are greedy, aren't leaders,  need to be the biggest reason a team goes 15-1,  not just one little piece of the puzzle.

As great as Revis has been in his career, the Jets haven't won a division title.  They really were just an 8-8 most of his career.  That isn't worth $16 million bucks no matter how you slice it.

There is a huge difference between paying top dollar to an All pro QB who can turn a franchise around compared to an all pro CB who, even if he is a HOF player,

I feel like we've been over this 1000 times. The Jets aren't trading Revis so they can pay Peyton manning. They are dumping a big salary to take on small salaries. It's a pure talent loss. They aren't gonna find Peyton Manning with the late 1 or whatever picks they are getting. There's not even a Peyton Manning in this draft.

I feel like we've been over this 1000 times. The Jets aren't trading Revis so they can pay Peyton manning. They are dumping a big salary to take on small salaries. It's a pure talent loss. They aren't gonna find Peyton Manning with the late 1 or whatever picks they are getting. There's not even a Peyton Manning in this draft.

How do you know what the Jets are going to do with the monies?

What we are talking about here is not just THIS year with Revis and the cap consequences, but future years. Who knows WHAT they can get in future years by saving that money. Pure conjecture. 

Of course it is a gamble, but maybe not as much as just letting him walk for nothing.

They won't find Peyton Manning with cheap salaries.  But a team can't tie up 20-30 percent of the cap on one player who will not turn the Jets into a contender.    If they pay Revis $16 Million and keep Cromartie at say $11-12 Million,   that is a team who probably will have the best CB tandem in the NFL for a few seasons who always winds up 8-8.   

Teams who pay their QB $20 Million per year (Flacco) wil have trouble finding top talent to keep them a contender, but the idea is Flacco is a top QB.  Time will tell.   The Patriots and Colts surrounded Manning and Brady with sub tier players for years because of high salaries for one player.  But Brady and Manning are HOF QBs who put the team on their backs.      

When has Revis ever put the Jets on his back?   CBs just don't have that much power to change a franchise.   

The Jets defense without Revis didn't stink.   And with Revis?   Wow they'd be 7-9 instead of 6-10.   As great as Revis is, he's just not worth $16 Million per year.  Not even close.    No winning team would build their franchise around a CB.   And paying Revis top dollar like that,  means you have to build the team around him.  

I do not think any team will be willing to part away with upper round picks for a one year rental. A trade of Revis will also involve a new contract for Revis. Otherwise we are not getting good compensation in which case its better to just keep Revis.

The only way I see that happening is, well with Denver.  They have a very small window with Manning

If a trade goes down along the lines of a 2nd this year, and conditional 1 & 2 next year, and Manning doesn’t finish the season it is possible Elway will just say screw Revis, and go looking for another QB.

BTW, I  think that any trade that goes down, particularly before the draft, will have conditional 2014 picks involved

if the Jets let him walk they will get a 3rd anyway in comp picks. Assuming they don't sign any high priced free agents (which is a safe assumption for a 'rebuilding' team)

I thought there was no such thing as a rebuilding team?

The whole argument about, should the Jets trade Revis is Moot.  It seems pretty clear the Jets have made a decision.  They are not going to pay Revis. 

If they don’t pay him, the only question is, will he walk at the end of the   season for nothing, or will they get something for him?  Period

Talking about if the Jets should keep him, is about as relevant as talking about the monstrous fan revolt there would be if they  don't build the WSS, and moved back in with the Giants.

They won't find Peyton Manning with cheap salaries.  But a team can't tie up 20-30 percent of the cap on one player who will not turn the Jets into a contender.    If they pay Revis $16 Million 

just to be clear 16 per year on a 123 mil cap is about 12%. All this talk about the Jets not being able to afford Revis is bullcrap. Because all teams have the same cap. This isn't baseball. Someone's gonna pay him that money and also field a winning team. 

I thought there was no such thing as a rebuilding team?

The whole argument about, should the Jets trade Revis is Moot.  It seems pretty clear the Jets have made a decision.  They are not going to pay Revis. 

If they don’t pay him, the only question is, will he walk at the end of the   season for nothing, or will they get something for him?  Period

if the Jets aren't gonna try to win games, they should cut the ticket prices. You might be right about this already being a done deal. I still think it stinks. The goal of scouting is to find a Revis. It happens about once a generation. To sell this player because the team is too cheap to pay him, that's B-league stuff. 

just to be clear 16 per year on a 123 mil cap is about 12%. All this talk about the Jets not being able to afford Revis is bullcrap. Because all teams have the same cap. This isn't baseball. Someone's gonna pay him that money and also field a winning team. 

you shouldnt tell everyone they are wrong because of there personal beliefs when your entire argument to keep him is speculative. You know for a fact hes going to go to a winning team and win a super bowl? You know the jets wont be able to find any good talent with the money they free up? There is no concrete evidence except that they are losing a good player but are also freeing up cap space. Who says they cant find a good player  with that cap space. Who says they cant get 4 solid players for that cap space.  Who knows but to dismiss peoples arguments like you have been isnt lending credibility to your own

if the Jets aren't gonna try to win games, they should cut the ticket prices. You might be right about this already being a done deal. I still think it stinks. The goal of scouting is to find a Revis. It happens about once a generation. To sell this player because the team is too cheap to pay him, that's B-league stuff. 

I think they are still going to try to win games Bit, they just have a different formula then you do.

They are paying Idzik millions to come up with that formula.  If he does, he will be worth the millions they are paying him, if not, he’ll probably be fired in a few years.

No offense Bit, but for now I’m going with the guy who has been involved in football since he was a kid, and is being paid millions for his knowledge

you shouldnt tell everyone they are wrong because of there personal beliefs when your entire argument to keep him is speculative. You know for a fact hes going to go to a winning team and win a super bowl? You know the jets wont be able to find any good talent with the money they free up? There is no concrete evidence except that they are losing a good player but are also freeing up cap space. Who says they cant find a good player  with that cap space. Who says they cant get 4 solid players for that cap space.  Who knows but to dismiss peoples arguments like you have been isnt lending credibility to your own

I am not telling people they are wrong, I am bringing my opinion to the discussion. If the Jets take a 2nd for revis instead of getting a 3rd in comp, that's not worth it. 

No offense Bit, but for now I’m going with the guy who has been involved in football since he was a kid, and is being paid millions for his knowledge

that sounds like you are describing Rex. And by the way this thing stinks of Woody. Woody was leaking about dealing Revis before Idzik even got a chance to look at the roster. 

that sounds like you are describing Rex. And by the way this thing stinks of Woody. Woody was leaking about dealing Revis before Idzik even got a chance to look at the roster. 

Oh, no question, this is about Woody.  He doesn’t want to hand out a contract to Revis that looks like it is a 5 year $60,000,000 contract, but after he pays him $40,000,000 guaranteed money in two years, Revis is talking hold out to the press

As a fan, if there were no cap, I would be on your side.  As a businessman, who knows in order to run a successful business, you have to project ahead what your expenses are going to be for the future, I’m with Woody.

Because of the cap, Revis’  personality, and the fact that he is free in one year  I’m in favor of  trading him

Archived