Darrelle Revis Trade Value Overrated

JetNation

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis is a hell of a lot closer to Durant than any ******* sixth man.

You can't compare NFL players to NBA players.  If you do, most football players will look horrible.   

Durant hasn't even reached his peak yet and the guy already has won scoring titles going on 4 years in a row,  he's an MVP candidate every year, he lead his team to the NBA Championship game last season.   And he lost to an out of this world GOAT type of player in Lebron James.     And we could get a rematch again this season.   

Revis has done what?   His best year the Jets were lucky to finish 9-7.  He isn't a guy who will intercept the ball often, so he wont' score often. He isn't a guy who returns kicks.   He's a shut down corner.  And what does the best shut down corner in the NFL get you?    Well, his best season his team was lucky to finish 9-7.    That's not an MVP.  That's not a super star. That's a great player who plays a position that isn't leading anybody to a championship.    He is more like Harden then you think.    

The biggest reason you cant put Revis in the same category as  Durant,  is a simple truth about football.

Every trade rumor so far has Revis going to a team who is already a contender.  The 49ers. The Broncos. Etc.  Teams who were super bowl contenders last season.  Teams who will be super bowl contenders next season without Revis.   He's a guy who can put a team over the top.   He's not a guy you build a franchise around.

Durant could be sent to the Charlotte Bobcats and suddenly people would be claiming the Bobcats might make the playoffs.  And they'd probably be right.  The team wouldn't win a series, but he is that good.    Hell, Lebron James and a bunch of nobodies from Cleveland made the NBA Finals.   If you dumped Revis onto the Cleveland Browns or the Jacksonville Jaguars or the Arizona Cardinals,  nobody would suddenly say those teams were playoff teams.  

Thats the difference between a Revis and a Manning and a Brady.   As great as Revis is, he's not turning an 8-8 team into a 13-3 number one seed.  He's a great CB who might turn that 13-3 team into a super bowl team.  Big difference.

its more of hes not worth what hes paid. The hope is the jets can find a cheaper alternative that makes the team better as a whole

the nba does it all the time sending players away for next to nothing for cap space / rental

? dude dwight howard. The harden trade specifically for cap room

im not sure im following what you just said but id say okc is a very smart franchise and they traded a 23 year old star for cap room (kmart) and some prospects (lamb and pick)

You mean the team with Kevin Durant and Westbrook? Think there's a reason they wanted cap room with those two on the roster?

You can't compare NFL players to NBA players.  If you do, most football players will look horrible.   

Durant hasn't even reached his peak yet and the guy already has won scoring titles going on 4 years in a row,  he's an MVP candidate every year, he lead his team to the NBA Championship game last season.   And he lost to an out of this world GOAT type of player in Lebron James.     And we could get a rematch again this season.   

Revis has done what?   His best year the Jets were lucky to finish 9-7.  He isn't a guy who will intercept the ball often, so he wont' score often. He isn't a guy who returns kicks.   He's a shut down corner.  And what does the best shut down corner in the NFL get you?    Well, his best season his team was lucky to finish 9-7.    That's not an MVP.  That's not a super star. That's a great player who plays a position that isn't leading anybody to a championship.    He is more like Harden then you think.    

What the **** are you blaming me for?  I didn't compare NFL players to NBA players.  They did, but Revis is still a hell of a lot closer to Durant (one of the best in the league) to Harden ( a guy that didn't start).

What the **** are you blaming me for?  I didn't compare NFL players to NBA players.  They did, but Revis is still a hell of a lot closer to Durant (one of the best in the league) to Harden ( a guy that didn't start).

I'm not blaming anybody.  I'm just saying it's nearly impossible to compare NBA players to NFL players.   Especially a CB. 

True Harden wasn't a starter, but he was a guy who could average 20 points a game if asked to.   Look at him this season. He's averaging 26 points per game.      Revis is nowhere near a Durant.    

Like I said, Durant could go to the worst team in the NBA (bobcats) and turn them into an 8th seed. Just with him.  

And he's only 24 years old.  

If Revis went to the Oakland Raiders or Kansas City Chiefs,  with just him,  neither team would suddenly be a playoff team.  

You can't really say Revis is closer to Durant because as great as Revis is, he plays a position where a team still can win without him.   

If Sanchez were an avg QB, the Jets wind up 9-7 this season.  Without Revis.  

If Sanchez were Manning or Brady, the Jets probably wind up

13-3.    With the best season Revis had and an avg Sanchez, the Jets still went 9-7.    

That's why you don't pay a CB 16 million per year.

Im just saying i think the second part is wrong. revis is harden (just from the position he plays) harden=utility player who is a good compliment. Revis is not a player who you can put on a team and immediately make them good

Im just saying i think the second part is wrong. revis is harden (just from the position he plays) harden=utility player who is a good compliment. Revis is not a player who you can put on a team and immediately make them good

At this point I don't even think Revis is Harden.   Harden is averaging 26 points a game this year for the Rockets and the team is fighting for a playoff spot.    If Revis were traded to the Arizona Cardinals would they suddenly become a playoff team?   Probably not.    As much as people love Revis because he is the best player on the Jets,  his position and who he is just makes him not all that valuable.    

Revis missed most of this past season and the Jets defense didn't suddenly stink without him.  

And even with Revis healthy the other year, the Jets finished 8-8.     He's the best CB in the NFL when healthy, he's the best player on the Jets, maybe one of the best of all time on the Jets.  The problem is he plays a position that won't turn a franchise around.  And his personality isn't one where he will lead the team to victory or even lead the team.     

What's Revis teach the younger kids coming in?    How to be greedy and hold out every other year?  Yeah, great leader.

whether Revis is Harden or whatever the bottom line is that this is new York and people aren't gonna pay to see a 2-14 rebuilding team, sucking for multiple years, with no stars and no hope. The turnaround has to be quick, which means they will need Revis sooner rather than later. 

At this point I don't even think Revis is Harden.   Harden is averaging 26 points a game this year for the Rockets and the team is fighting for a playoff spot.    If Revis were traded to the Arizona Cardinals would they suddenly become a playoff team?   Probably not.    As much as people love Revis because he is the best player on the Jets,  his position and who he is just makes him not all that valuable.    

Revis missed most of this past season and the Jets defense didn't suddenly stink without him.  

And even with Revis healthy the other year, the Jets finished 8-8.     He's the best CB in the NFL when healthy, he's the best player on the Jets, maybe one of the best of all time on the Jets.  The problem is he plays a position that won't turn a franchise around.  And his personality isn't one where he will lead the team to victory or even lead the team.     

What's Revis teach the younger kids coming in?    How to be greedy and hold out every other year?  Yeah, great leader.

let me clarify harden on okc was revis (utility guy a good one but still utility)

im with yea

let me clarify harden on okc was revis (utility guy a good one but still utility)

im with yea

I dont think anybody can believe that theory.  That's the problem.   Revis is one of the best players the Jets ever had on the roster. Ever.  So fans will never be able to admit that in the grand scheme of things, his position is more valuable on a team like the 49ers or Broncos.   Teams who expect to win the super bowl next year.   Revis is more like a one year rental.   They won't worry about paying him 16 million a year.   

Years ago Sanders was far more valuable than Revis.   Revis is better in many ways, but Sanders was more flashy and one hell of a return guy.  He could change a game just by a return or a pick.    Revis doesn't do any of that.  He might shut the #1 WR down, but the Jets still lose 30-17.   This is why Revis and his 'agent' are just greedy.  Put Flacco on the Jets this season without Revis and the Jets wind up 9-7.  

And remember as great as Sanders was years ago, he became like a Super Bowl rental.   One year with the 49ers. Then off to the highest bidder. He went to the Cowboys and I don't think he was ever that great again. He was a pro bowler and He had his moments, but his best year was with the 49ers.    He signed that huge contract and that was that.   Revis is nowhere near as valuable as Sanders is just because the way he plays the game.

Revis Island is great, unless your team needs the defense to make a play.   And with the way the Jets and this offense is, thats more often than not. And Revis just isn't the guy who makes that play to win a game.  He's that guy who shuts down the best WR.  Somebody else has to make that pick.

Archived