What would your draft look like?

khesanh

What would your draft look like if we were to trade Darrelle Revis and we got an extra 1st rounder this year and one next year?  Would you package two first round picks next year for Clowney?

1st - Dion Jordan OLB - Oregon

1st -Tyler Eifert's TE - Notre Dame

2nd - Matt Elam SS - Florida

3rd - Brandon Williams NT - Missouri Southern

4th - Alvin Bailey OG - Arkansas

5th - Christine Michaels RB - TX A&M

6th - Onterio McCalebb  KR - Auburn 

7th - Chris Harper WR - K ST

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy Clowney more than I buy Bridgewater, but if Bridgewater separates himself then I go QB. 

I have two favorites for my first round pick this year - Cooper or Mingo. Some personal favorite non-first talents include Quinton Patton, Kevin Reddick, TJ McDonald, Christine Michael (I think he's going to interview himself into a late round steal for someone - he should go higher but he's kind of a dick), Nick Kasa, Reid Fragel, Rick Wagner, Brennan Williams (has the talent to be a 2-3 rounder but blew out his knee - legit long term RT potential), Denard Robinson, Stedman Bailey, Jonathan Franklin, Sylvester Williams (a very solid NT prospect and better than the overrated Brandon Williams), Aaron Mellette, Tavarres King, Sean Porter...While many heard once or twice that this draft sucks and decided to parrot it, it's actually an EXCELLENT opportunity to fix a major flaw in the recent Jet squads - quality depth. While not as big an issue as the low quality of QB play, alot of these guys can fit roles in the long and short as far as I'm concerned. 

This is my first mock. let me know what you guys think. be gentle:

1st-Jarvis Jones- OLB UGA

2nd.-Jonathan Cooper-OG UNC

3rd.-Stephan Taylor-RB Stanford

4th-Kenny Stills-WR Oklahoma

5th-Micahel Williams-TE Alabama

6th-Corey Broomfield-FS Miss St

7th-I dont know best olb, oline, or wr available

Stepfan Taylor was awful at the combine. He's going to drop hard. No interest in him at all.

I think you have the right idea of where talent will match up best with round and need...but I think you'll need a couple minor tweaks. 

1. Cooper is a top-15 talent; will likely be drafted in the first half of the first round.  Larry Warford is a talented (second-tier) guy who will be available around our second pick. 

2.  Stepfan Taylor had a HORRIBLE combine.  He was slow straight-line, he was slow change-of-direction, he had no burst, no jumps and small hands.  Some have him falling to the 7th round! Which would answer your question there.  I would like to find a RB in the 4th round though, it will just depend on how things shake out.  I would love me some Lattimore (sit him on IR for a year) or some Kniles Davis (stock up on advil for him) or Jonathan Franklin. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42638/60/nfl-combine-fallers

3.  I don't anything about your FS, but this is a year to get a decent one late in the draft. 

Stepfan Taylor was awful at the combine. He's going to drop hard. No interest in him at all.

did not know that. good info

I think you have the right idea of where talent will match up best with round and need...but I think you'll need a couple minor tweaks. 

1. Cooper is a top-15 talent; will likely be drafted in the first half of the first round.  Larry Warford is a talented (second-tier) guy who will be available around our second pick. 

2.  Stepfan Taylor had a HORRIBLE combine.  He was slow straight-line, he was slow change-of-direction, he had no burst, no jumps and small hands.  Some have him falling to the 7th round! Which would answer your question there.  I would like to find a RB in the 4th round though, it will just depend on how things shake out.  I would love me some Lattimore (sit him on IR for a year) or some Kniles Davis (stock up on advil for him) or Jonathan Franklin. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42638/60/nfl-combine-fallers

3.  I don't anything about your FS, but this is a year to get a decent one late in the draft. 

thanks for the input you are probably right about cooper and warford.  would not mind warford at all with the second pick

This stuff is hard without seeing what happens in FA but right now, my draft would look like this.

RD 1: Mingo or Jones

RD 2: Warford or Cooper

RD 3: Woods or Patton

RD 4: Bray or Jones

RD 5: Gilislee or Michael

RD 6: Ford or Gragg

RD 7: Nixon or Wagner

Might be open to taking a TE over WR in the 3rd.

This stuff is hard without seeing what happens in FA but right now, my draft would look like this.

RD 2: Warford or Cooper (I doubt Coop makes it to the 20s let alone out of the first round)

RD 4: Bray or Jones (Neither. Next year is so rich in QBs, getting one this year would be silly. Double dip (Lattimore or Kniles Davis)

RD 5: Gilislee or Michael He's a thug turd, but his numbers are out of this world. 

RD 6: Ford or Gragg (Meh. flip a coin, they're both a poor man's Dustin Keller...there's gotta be a bigger Celek type blocking/catching option)

RD 7: Nixon or Wagner His program is a pipeline for good OL.  Yours is for fast little guys, and good defenders. 

I'd be cool with this draft. 

RD 2: Warford or Cooper

RD 4: Bray or Jones

RD 5: Gilislee or Michael

RD 6: Ford or Gragg

RD 7: Nixon or Wagner

This would be a home run if it were possible. Cooper is the second is a wet dream. I'm not even that opposed to Cooper at 9. 

I'd be cool with this draft.

This would be a home run if it were possible. Cooper is the second is a wet dream. I'm not even that opposed to Cooper at 9.

Coop is obviously wishful thinking but Warford should be seriously considered there. I'm in the camp of taking a flier on QB even though there is a better class next year just to see if you can strike gold in the mid rounds.

I do keep forgetting about the new offense and the role of a TE in it. Probably would need to reconsider and find more of a blocking option. I went 2 guys who are more receiving oriented.

These are hard without seeing FA and some pro days. But the positions addressed in that mock are the one's I want to see drafted. Who and when can change drastically in the next month.

there's nothing wrong with the OL. PFF had them rated 3rd overall last year. RFA sign howard, resign Moore, start Vlad.

Yes. Meh.. Hell no.

Moore is aging quickly and if he comes back cheap, fine. Vlad is a career backup that you hope never has to start. You'll have to draft someone or sign Slauson. I'm not sure how much longer Moore has in him.

Yes. Meh.. Hell no.

Moore is aging quickly and if he comes back cheap, fine. Vlad is a career backup that you hope never has to start. You'll have to draft someone or sign Slauson. I'm not sure how much longer Moore has in him.

Moore is only 32.  You make it sound like he's getting a discount at IHOP.  Perhaps he seems old because he hasn't missed a start in the last four seasons.  He is solid, he's due some money...and I think we should give it to him.  Oh yeah, PFF has him ranked as their #1 OG in free agency. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

Moore is only 32.  You make it sound like he's getting a discount at IHOP.  Perhaps he seems old because he hasn't missed a start in the last four seasons.  He is solid, he's due some money...and I think we should give it to him.  Oh yeah, PFF has him ranked as their #1 OG in free agency. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

He'll be 33 when the season starts and more importantly, bad back/hip = old.  Don't ask me how I know.  If he is the #1 OG in FA more of the reason to let him go.  You want to tank the season, let an all-time great corner go, but spend money on Brandon Moore?  I would love to have him back, but like all the other vets - has to be cheap. 

He'll be 33 when the season starts and more importantly, bad back/hip = old.  Don't ask me how I know.  If he is the #1 OG in FA more of the reason to let him go.  You want to tank the season, let an all-time great corner go, but spend money on Brandon Moore?  I would love to have him back, but like all the other vets - has to be cheap. 

eh....

His last contract was 4 years for $16M. We could do a back-loaded 3 for $20M with $12M guaranteed, and he won't have to sell his house or relocate his family.  

As per his back & hip, it hasn't caused him to miss any starts...and he's been a top-10 OG for the last four years.  

eh....

His last contract was 4 years for $16M. We could do a back-loaded 3 for $20M with $12M guaranteed, and he won't have to sell his house or relocate his family.  

As per his back & hip, it hasn't caused him to miss any starts...and he's been a top-10 OG for the last four years.  

You haven't noticed any depreciation in his play over the past couple of years?

You haven't noticed any depreciation in his play over the past couple of years?

Might be an optical illusion.  Probably a function of who he's been playing next to. 

Since 2008, he has ranked

4th, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 3rd (last year)

Do not believe. 

It's Right Guard for Chrissake!!

All he has to do is give up less sacks than the other RG's in the league, and be a functional run-blocker.  

He doesn't get false-start penalties, I'm hard pressed to recall a time when he's been flagged for holding.  He's a factor in the run-game, and he's never been the weak-link on this OL (save, for maybe 2009 when he was playing with 4 first round picks/ pro bowlers).  He's not a flashy mauler, but he has been quietly solid. 

It's Right Guard for Chrissake!!

All he has to do is give up less sacks than the other RG's in the league, and be a functional run-blocker.  

He doesn't get false-start penalties, I'm hard pressed to recall a time when he's been flagged for holding.  He's a factor in the run-game, and he's never been the weak-link on this OL (save, for maybe 2009 when he was playing with 4 first round picks/ pro bowlers).  He's not a flashy mauler, but he has been quietly solid. 

Not sure why you are upset with me. I like Moore, but IMO he is not a MUST sign.  Devito is the low level guy I think we will miss the most if he goes and I think that Keller and Landry are certainly higher up the list of guys we want back.  If Moore is able to get himself a decent contract they will probably let him walk.  I'd be happy to have him back, but I'm not sure I'm worried about being high bidder.  As far as the importance of right guard, isn't this board considering two guys at 9 that are guards? 

Not sure why you are upset with me. I like Moore, but IMO he is not a MUST sign.  Devito is the low level guy I think we will miss the most if he goes and I think that Keller and Landry are certainly higher up the list of guys we want back.  If Moore is able to get himself a decent contract they will probably let him walk.  I'd be happy to have him back, but I'm not sure I'm worried about being high bidder.  As far as the importance of right guard, isn't this board considering two guys at 9 that are guards? 

I'm not upset, brother.  There is a great lil debate on PFF comparing both Moore and Devito. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/25/free-agent-duel-moore-or-devito/

My main argument for Moore (not mentioned in the article) is keeping continuity on the OL.  Geoff Swartz is a OG candidate we've been linked to, he actually ranks #3 on their list of FA OGs, and could be had for cheaper than Moore. But if it aint broke, and it doesn't break the bank--I think players like Moore are exactly the kind of guys we should be prioritizing for retention.  

Last year's #9 (Luke Kuechly) had a fully guaranteed contract of 4 years for $12.58M, so I could see why it might make sense to draft a replacement (though I always had Warmack or Cooper pegged as a LG).  Personally, I would rather swing for the fences on a flashy player in the top-ten.  WR or OLB, leaning toward the latter.  

I'm not upset, brother.  There is a great lil debate on PFF comparing both Moore and Devito. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/25/free-agent-duel-moore-or-devito/

My main argument for Moore (not mentioned in the article) is keeping continuity on the OL.  Geoff Swartz is a OG candidate we've been linked to, he actually ranks #3 on their list of FA OGs, and could be had for cheaper than Moore. But if it aint broke, and it doesn't break the bank--I think players like Moore are exactly the kind of guys we should be prioritizing for retention.  

Last year's #9 (Luke Kuechly) had a fully guaranteed contract of 4 years for $12.58M, so I could see why it might make sense to draft a replacement (though I always had Warmack or Cooper pegged as a LG).  Personally, I would rather swing for the fences on a flashy player in the top-ten.  WR or OLB, leaning toward the latter.  

No worries here.  Generally I agree about continuity, but:

1.  We are changing offensive coordinators again, so this is a good time for change.  I'm not sure that what kind of scheme Mornhinweg plans to use.  I know Sparano tried to use more man-to-man and less zone blocking, but I'm not sure what we are going to try now.  I assume we are going to want faster guys because I am expecting more pulling and screens, but who the hell knows?  If anybody does, please tell me.

2.  It is broke.  The OLine wasn't the problem, but the offense is broke, but more importantly, the bank is broke.  They are in a financial mess and this is quite likely the place to save some dollars. 

but i do like K. long in the 2nd,hope moore does come back

Archived