Keller wants to stay a Jet

Maxman

Brett Favre raved about Keller when he was here. 

Keller had over 60 catches and over 800 yards in 2011 in a sh*tty offense.  I wouldn't say he doesn't do anything well.  Knock him for his blocking, that is fair game.  But he has put up decent receiving numbers in his first few years. 

He was the 29th ranked TE in the NFL in 2011 according to DYAR and DVOA which are normalized for all balls thrown his way. AKA he's a JAG. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the 29th ranked TE in the NFL in 2011 according to DYAR and DVOA which are normalized for all balls thrown his way. AKA he's a JAG. 

That doesn't sound right.  Either you or Max have your numbers off. There's no way 28 tight ends had better production than 60 catches for 800 yards.

Can you share a link?

Above

I saw it right after I posted, thanks.

I looked at the numbers on that site...it's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.  According to that chart his DYAR and DVOA rankings are actually #32 in both categories.  You posted his YAR which is #29, but I think it's all for naught.  Like I pointed out in another thread, Keller has lead all of our receivers in targets since 2008, thereby making him our #1 receiving threat.  Neglecting the fact that he was an opposing team's #1 threat, that chart lists players that received less than half of his targets (I counted 14). 

Taking them out of the equation and he was a top-18 TE.  NOT spectacular by any means, and rather disappointing given his skill set.  Kinda sad that he's the best we have, and we lean on him to be a super star...but the truth is, he's not a pro bowl caliber tight end. He only catches 57% of the passes that come his way, and he's never scored more than 5 times in a single season. 

I saw it right after I posted, thanks.

I looked at the numbers on that site...it's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.  According to that chart his DYAR and DVOA rankings are actually #32 in both categories.  You posted his YAR which is #29, but I think it's all for naught.  Like I pointed out in another thread, Keller has lead all of our receivers in targets since 2008, thereby making him our #1 receiving threat.  Neglecting the fact that he was an opposing team's #1 threat, that chart lists players that received less than half of his targets (I counted 14). 

Taking them out of the equation and he was a top-18 TE.  NOT spectacular by any means, and rather disappointing given his skill set.  Kinda sad that he's the best we have, and we lean on him to be a super star...but the truth is, he's not a pro bowl caliber tight end. He only catches 57% of the passes that come his way, and he's never scored more than 5 times in a single season. 

So you're basically agreeing with me that he's a mediocre receiver which when you factor into him being a liability in the pass protection and run game, means he isn't a good player. 

You can throw all the letters at it you want.  The Jets offense was bad.  He had 800 receiving yards. 

So you're basically agreeing with me that he's a mediocre receiver which when you factor into him being a liability in the pass protection and run game, means he isn't a good player. 

I wouldn't use that language because I think there are more factors at play with his low numbers. Stats can be misleading sometimes, and I think this is one of those cases.  We've all seen Sanchez 'freak out' and pitch it to his dump-off with way too much zip.  

How many times has Keller been hit in the face mask, or chest plate with the football?   A guy can only react so fast.

Considering the fact that Sanchez targets Keller more than any other player, and considering the types of routes that Keller runs (the quick break routes where the ball is in the air before you face the QB), I think he is prone to more QB-related error than anyone on that list.

This doesn't excuse his production.  We drafted him high because he is fast, and can jump out of the building.  I just wish we could take advantage of those unique skills by throwing him catchable jump-balls.  Or designing screens around him the way NE does with Hernandez.  Instead, we used him as a safety valve after-thought. I think we'll see a jump in his production when he plays for another team as a role-player.  But for now, yes, he's a mediocre tight-end with limitations in pass pro and run blocking.  Do I think he isn't a good player? No. I think he's a tremendous talent, wasting away on our roster.  He had no business on a Ground and Pound team.

I like the kid, but I won't miss his stupid "First-Down" knee and point celebration.   

Thats like saying that a baseball player who has 80 RBI's on a bad team is awesome even if his OPS was 650. He was stunningly inefficient with his targets. 

No.  that is nothing like that.  You are making an in-exact science sound like an exact science.

Have you seen Mark Sanchez throw a football?  Saying he was targeted is pretty much open to interpretation if you are talking about Sanchez at QB.

No.  that is nothing like that.  You are making an in-exact science sound like an exact science.

Have you seen Mark Sanchez throw a football?  Saying he was targeted is pretty much open to interpretation if you are talking about Sanchez at QB.

This is pretty much the argument ender. You can make the same argument about every offensive player who has been on the Jets for the past 4 years. I think Keller's pircetag will say it all though. He's not viewed around the league as a good player.

I wouldn't use that language because I think there are more factors at play with his low numbers. Stats can be misleading sometimes, and I think this is one of those cases.  We've all seen Sanchez 'freak out' and pitch it to his dump-off with way too much zip.  

How many times has Keller been hit in the face mask, or chest plate with the football?   A guy can only react so fast.

Considering the fact that Sanchez targets Keller more than any other player, and considering the types of routes that Keller runs (the quick break routes where the ball is in the air before you face the QB), I think he is prone to more QB-related error than anyone on that list.

This doesn't excuse his production.  We drafted him high because he is fast, and can jump out of the building.  I just wish we could take advantage of those unique skills by throwing him catchable jump-balls.  Or designing screens around him the way NE does with Hernandez.  Instead, we used him as a safety valve after-thought. I think we'll see a jump in his production when he plays for another team as a role-player.  But for now, yes, he's a mediocre tight-end with limitations in pass pro and run blocking.  Do I think he isn't a good player? No. I think he's a tremendous talent, wasting away on our roster.  He had no business on a Ground and Pound team.

I like the kid, but I won't miss his stupid "First-Down" knee and point celebration.   

Everything you said is true, but there is a few other elements here.

The Jets are no longer a ground and pound.  Far from it.  If MM runs the same type of WCO he did in Philly Keller’s role will  change dramatically. 

Aside from throwing a lot more short passes, his pass blocking assignments will be almost non existent.   In  MM’s WCO the RB’s handle almost all the blitz pick up.  TE’s are receivers.

Another issue here is Sanchez in the past.  I’m not a major Sanchez hater, but he has really killed the receivers in short crossing patterns.  The key is to hit the receiver, in the hands, on the run.  Most of the yards are YAC.

How many times do you see Keller, and Cumberland , have to stop to make the catch.  Balls thrown on the wrong shoulder, to high, to low, or just missed throws. 

Get a QB who can throw a short ball right out in front of him, and let him use his speed, and athletic ability.  and his total reception  yards will improve dramatically. 

I don’t blame all the offensive woes on Sanchez, but his lack of accuracy in the short passing game is certainly on him 

i love how every thread about free agency has a list of players who will never see free agency. Cook is getting tagged either as a WR or a TE. Pitta is Flacco's security blankey how is he getting out of Baltimore? 

And then when we wittle the list down a guy like Keller sure enough is at the top in terms of "realistic" options. 

If we can get him to hang for a year and see how he does without the load stone of the the leagues most inaccurate passer around his neck - do it. But that's not going to happen - somebody will give him ok dough and a multiyear. 

"I like the kid, but I won't miss his stupid "First-Down" knee and point celebration"

Another intangible benefit that people don't appreciate enough ...  having Santonio Holmes as your Captain to show you the way ....    

Keller wants to stay a Jet

• By BRIAN COSTELLO
  • Last Updated: 11:55 PM, March 2, 2013

The Jets are the only NFL team tight end Dustin Keller has ever known. That may change soon. Keller is scheduled to become a free agent March 12, and all indications are the Jets will let him hit the open market. The 28-year-old does not know what to expect from the free agency process.

“I kind of view free agency like the draft, at this point I don’t know where anyone stands, including the Jets, but everything will take care of itself,” 

Keller told The Post in an email. “I’m not stressing myself out about where I’m going to be, I’m just going to continue to work my butt off

this offseason so I’m ready no matter where I’m going to be.”

Still, Keller made it clear he would love to be back with the Jets.  He remains close with quarterback Mark Sanchez as well as others on the team that selected him in the first round of the 2008 draft out of Purdue.

“Yeah, I’d like to return,” he said. “I have a lot of great friends on the team, and I’ve always thought of myself as a key

piece of the offense there, but if I’m not there that’s fine, too. There are no hard feelings. I understand it’s a business for the Jets, but at this point it’s a business decision for me as well.”

Keller hoped to get a long-term extension before last season, similar to what he saw teammates Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Sanchez receive. But former general manager Mike Tannenbaum declined.

“Did I want to sign a new deal before last season? Yes,” Keller said. “Am I angry about it? No. Like I said, I understand the business side. I signed a five-year deal and I played through that whole contract, even though recent first-round picks have re-signed with a year left. So I think I deserve the right to see what else is out there.”

Keller’s agent met with the Jets brass at the NFL scouting combine last month, but Keller remains unsure just how much the team wants him back. He has not spoken to new GM John Idzik, but has heard from new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

“I have talked to Coach Mornhinweg and he made clear to me that he would like to have me back, but the guys upstairs may have different thoughts than the coaches,” Keller said.

The 2012 season was a rough one for Keller. He played in just eight games while dealing with hamstring and ankle injuries, and was limited to 28 catches and two touchdowns. That could hurt his value as a free agent if teams question whether he can stay healthy. But Keller never missed a game before last season and says he is 100 percent now.  Keller should generate high demand as one of the top tight ends available in free agency.

“The thing I wants teams to realize is that I played my first four years in the NFL without missing a single practice, let alone a game,” Keller said. “I’m not some injury-prone player that teams have to worry about.  Both of my injuries were non-contact injuries, so they were just fluke incidents. I don’t think people realize that there is a 100-percent injury rate for players in the NFL, and my injuries were minor.”

I dont know why! he's just wasting his NFL carrear with a loser QB and a big mouth HC coach.

i love how every thread about free agency has a list of players who will never see free agency. Cook is getting tagged either as a WR or a TE. Pitta is Flacco's security blankey how is he getting out of Baltimore? 

And then when we wittle the list down a guy like Keller sure enough is at the top in terms of "realistic" options. 

Yeah. Pitta is also RFA and his "break out" year would probably be 3rd best for Keller.

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum said on NFL Network that the Jets' defense couldn't cover TE Hayden Smith in practices last season.
Former
Australian rugby star Smith spent most of 2012 on the Jets' practice
squad. He could be a player to monitor in 2013 training camp, Smith's
second year of organized football. "We could not cover this guy in
practice," Tannenbaum said. "It would drive Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We
could not cover this guy. He got better and better, wound up dressing
for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers." The
Jets have a hole at tight end with Dustin Keller almost certain to leave
in free agency. Mar 4 - 7:23 PM

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum said on NFL Network that the Jets' defense couldn't cover TE Hayden Smith in practices last season.
Former

Gotta win sometimes -  or it's no fun playin - 

It would be great to take a chance on a guy with great athleticism and have it work out for once.

Hayden Smith is 6'8 and he can jump.  Not many nickle backs reach the 6' mark on their tippy-toes (Lankster is what, 5'9?). It would be nice to see us commit to his development...He could be a huge asset in the red zone. 

Former

Um... what? If we couldn't cover him in practice, why wasn't he getting more catches in regular season games???

And I agree 100% with Crusher.  Put Keller on the Patriots and he is better than Hernandez.

Easy there good looking. I never said better I said the difference would be a lot less than Mike insinuated.  LOL

Oh goodie, I was about to say that my Muffin Top has lost his mind.  Hernandez has versatility and YAC ability that Keller dreams of.

Keller would be very dangerous on any team with a good QB.  I can remember watching a Football Life on BB and when they were preparing for the Jets, the only player he was worried about was Keller.  lol

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7517/hayden-smith

Former

CHAMPIÓNSHIPÒ

Smith reminds me of yet another developmental talent on this roster. It would be a great boon to the franchise if he can step up in Year 2.

THAT SAID, we know it's impossible for progress to be made. You're either a star or you're not, and the nots are useless (SB rosters only have stars or better). Few players improve after their first years - just look at Gholston or that Jets first round pick video.

Archived