I really don't like Roger Goodell

Integrity28

Report: Goodell tells friends he fears a player will die on the field
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 5, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
goodell4.jpg?w=234AP

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s emphasis on player safety is borne in part of a fear that a high-impact collision will cause a player to die on the field.

That’s what friends of Goodell’s told Don Van Natta Jr., who wrote a lengthy profile of Goodellfor ESPN the Magazine. Goodell frequently speaks about how President Theodore Roosevelt saved the sport of football in the early 20th Century by insisting on reforms after several college players died, and Goodell now hopes that his own reforms can prevent an NFL player from dying today.

He’s terrified of it,” an unnamed Hall of Fame player who speaks regularly with Goodell said. “It wouldn’t just be a tragedy. It would be awfully bad for business.”

Goodell declined interview requests for the ESPN the Magazine profile, but the comments of his friends suggest that fears of the very worst-case scenario motivate much of his focus on making the game safer.

Goodell would make a better PTA Mom, no offense towards women, than he does an NFL commish.

Also are you kidding me with this quote?

“It wouldn’t just be a tragedy. It would be awfully bad for business.”

This statement minimizes the tragedy of a loss of life, compared to the impact it would have on "business". What a deplorable thing to think, let alone say aloud. 

Blech.

Is that an actual, substantiated quote on Goodell's part?  Or, just something that an "unnamed HOF player" threw out there?  You know, the likes of Michael Irvin are HOF players.

The tragedy vs. bad for business bit is what the friend of Goodell said, while paraphrasing his conversation with Roger.

Just to play devil's advocate:  

People watch NASCAR specifically for the crashes, and people watch Hockey, specifically for the fist-fights.  In a day and age where MMA has emerged as a "legitimate" sport, and considering even the "violence" featured in (professional?) Wrestling, I doubt a serious injury in the NFL would negatively affect it's fan base.  This is a sport based upon violent collisions.  Nobody wishes harm on our players, but they understand the risk they're taking to play on Sundays.    

People watch NASCAR specifically for the crashes, and people watch Hockey, specifically for the fist-fights. In a day and age where MMA has emerged as a "legitimate" sport, and considering even the "violence" featured in (professional?) Wrestling, I doubt a serious injury in the NFL would negatively affect it's fan base. This is a sport based upon violent collisions. Nobody wishes harm on our players, but they understand the risk they're taking to play on Sundays.

It'd be a sad story for two weeks, ESPNheads would wag their fingers, then we'd all return to talking about playoff matchups.

It'd be a sad story for two weeks, ESPNheads would wag their fingers, then we'd all return to talking about playoff matchups.

I don't know, depends on the drama surrounding that week. 

Junior Seau's suicide was a one-day story.

The DUI death in Dallas stretched out for three days.

Manti Teo was three weeks of gold.  

I don't know, depends on the drama surrounding that week.

Junior Seau's suicide was a one-day story.

The DUI death in Dallas stretched out for three days.

Manti Teo was three weeks of gold.

ESPN drives stories based on unique visitors to their website, ratings, and buzzwords. The major development in a player death would be isolated to the single moment, so there would be no thread of the story to milk, unlike with Te'o, where new facts and voices were presented every day. A player death story would run like this: player dies>faux outrage>player memorialized>what steps can we take to clean up the game>some jackass congressman calls for action>playoff matchups>iron-on patches appear on jerseys>family sues NFL. The story itself runs a week, then everyone walks on eggshells the next week, then it's over.

People watch NASCAR specifically for the crashes, and people watch Hockey, specifically for the fist-fights.  In a day and age where MMA has emerged as a "legitimate" sport, and considering even the "violence" featured in (professional?) Wrestling, I doubt a serious injury in the NFL would negatively affect it's fan base.  This is a sport based upon violent collisions.  Nobody wishes harm on our players, but they understand the risk they're taking to play on Sundays.    

What gets the biggest roar from fans at a Football game?  TD's and Big Hits.  Roger wants to eliminate one of those because the result could be bad business.  Isnt bad business eliminating the things the fans clamor for the most?  I think the guy is a moron.

It is an interesting when you compare to other sports.  For example, Caleb Moore died during the X-Games.  I dont think any X-Games fans are now turning off the TV when it comes on.  If anything, I could see more people intrigued by it because of the consequences if a stunt goes wrong.  Probably the most memorable skate boarding event is when Jake Brown's shoes flew off after a gnarly wipe out, yet more kids pick up a skate board daily.  Pro-surfers die yearly, yet the interest in the sport is at an all time high.

I dont think the death of a player would have any impact on the business.  

someone needs to slap the sh*t outta this wussy Goodell

he's ruining my favorite sunday past time!!  this isn't touch football Rogah!  players sign up for it...nobody puts a gun to their head and says "GO PLAY FOOTBALL YOU BIG OAF!"

they are well compensated and if nobody died playing football in the days before facemasks then the odds of them dying now are slim

he's ruining my favorite sunday past time!!  this isn't touch football Rogah!  players sign up for it...nobody puts a gun to their head and says "GO PLAY FOOTBALL YOU BIG OAF!"

they are well compensated and if nobody died playing football in the days before facemasks then the odds of them dying now are slim

There weren't many 300 lb juice heads in the days before facemasks.  

I don't doubt that he dreads a death on the field while he's commissioner. I doubt that the reason behind it is some sort of emotional or moral outpouring.  As long as he continues to push a longer regular season, when the season is too long as it is, it's pretty hard to take his player safety schtick seriously.

There weren't many 300 lb juice heads in the days before facemasks.  

my grandfather played semi pros in the 30s/40s and had to retire from breaking his nose like 500 times

they played just as hard as they do now and this was without top notch doctors

Goddell has one and only one focus.....18 game regular season schedule. The rest as they say is just attempts to make him look good.

Yea and yet somehow he still managed to mess that by letting those sh*tty refs stick along as long as they did.

ESPN drives stories based on unique visitors to their website, ratings, and buzzwords. The major development in a player death would be isolated to the single moment, so there would be no thread of the story to milk, unlike with Te'o, where new facts and voices were presented every day. A player death story would run like this: player dies>faux outrage>player memorialized>what steps can we take to clean up the game>some jackass congressman calls for action>playoff matchups>iron-on patches appear on jerseys>family sues NFL. The story itself runs a week, then everyone walks on eggshells the next week, then it's over.

I love the iron-on jersey patch.  It's classy and aesthetic.

I'm a 6-figure earning die hard NFL fan. He should re-evaluate.

Why?  He has million dollar organizations paying for the owners luxury boxes.  He cares about them.  He has billion dollar companies paying for commercials.  He cares about them. 

Yea and yet somehow he still managed to mess that by letting those sh*tty refs stick along as long as they did.

The show this was referenced in, OTL, the guy Bob Ley was talking to said the owners wanted the refs settlement and Goodell was only carrying out their orders.  he did not like it.

A Detroit Lion actually died during a game.  A 49ers' player died after a pre-season game about 8 years ago.  A Detroit Lion, Reggie Brown had a spinal injury and was administered CPR on the field against the Jets after making a tackle.

The first two were heart attacks and the last one was a spinal cord injury.  That there were not deaths on the field yet, is miraculous seeing soccer and basketball players have died on the field.  These are well conditioned athletes.

Despite the players being 'well' compensated, that is not preventing them from suing the NFL.  You know an assclown like James Harrison who has bitched and whined about fines will attach his name to the lawsuit and have a hand out bemoaning the NFL not protecting him.  Goodell is doing more to protect your 'favorite' Sunday pastime.  

my grandfather played semi pros in the 30s/40s and had to retire from breaking his nose like 500 times

they played just as hard as they do now and this was without top notch doctors

All those head shots explain a lot about the gene pool.

Why?  He has million dollar organizations paying for the owners luxury boxes.  He cares about them.  He has billion dollar companies paying for commercials.  He cares about them. 

The show this was referenced in, OTL, the guy Bob Ley was talking to said the owners wanted the refs settlement and Goodell was only carrying out their orders.  he did not like it.

A Detroit Lion actually died during a game.  A 49ers' player died after a pre-season game about 8 years ago.  A Detroit Lion, Reggie Brown had a spinal injury and was administered CPR on the field against the Jets after making a tackle.

The first two were heart attacks and the last one was a spinal cord injury.  That there were not deaths on the field yet, is miraculous seeing soccer and basketball players have died on the field.  These are well conditioned athletes.

Despite the players being 'well' compensated, that is not preventing them from suing the NFL.  You know an assclown like James Harrison who has bitched and whined about fines will attach his name to the lawsuit and have a hand out bemoaning the NFL not protecting him.  Goodell is doing more to protect your 'favorite' Sunday pastime.  

for once i thank you for your post...i know Ray Chapman died in baseball about 90 years ago but had no idea anyone died in a pre season NFL game

Don't take this the wrong way, but I always had you pegged as a 5-figure guy.  I think it's the Hulk in your signature.  

None taken. My whole persona here is a juxtaposition between the arrogance of Don Draper and the temper of the Hulk. The snark about my salary, while true, was mostly the fulfillment of my daily dose of arrogance. :)

None taken. My whole persona here is a juxtaposition between the arrogance of Don Draper and the temper of the Hulk. The snark about my salary, while true, was mostly the fulfillment of my daily dose of arrogance. :)

aha!  You Has the Rage. 

You make a good point, however, it is a short-sighted indulgence on his part to pander to those billion dollar companies... if the NFL fan experience deteriorates, in time, so will the willingness to spend for the million and billion dollar organizations who no longer see the NFL as a viable touchpoint for their customers and prospects.

In order to sustain long-term growth for the NFL, the NFL's customer experience must stay true to form. If the product changes, against the demand of the customer, then the advertisers and their bank rolls will go to where the fans do.

I'm sure 20 years ago MLB thought they could do whatever they wanted to the game too, and that it wouldn't impact the business. 

I'm not saying you are wrong here either, moreso, that Goodell is.

The demand for the NFL product has not changed, only a very stupid businessman would change the product in that environment. Very stupid.

You make a good point, however, it is a short-sighted indulgence on his part to pander to those billion dollar companies... if the NFL fan experience deteriorates, in time, so will the willingness to spend for the million and billion dollar organizations who no longer see the NFL as a viable touchpoint for their customers and prospects.

In order to sustain long-term growth for the NFL, the NFL's customer experience must stay true to form. If the product changes, against the demand of the customer, then the advertisers and their bank rolls will go to where the fans do.

I'm sure 20 years ago MLB thought they could do whatever they wanted to the game too, and that it wouldn't impact the business. 

I'm not saying you are wrong here either, moreso, that Goodell is.

The demand for the NFL product has not changed, only a very stupid businessman would change the product in that environment. Very stupid.

MLB's issue was staying tied to the past and not adapting to change.  How many fans cried 'you are ruining the sanctity of the game' when the DH was added?  Or the playoffs were expanded?  Yet, the game is enjoying arguably its most successful period.

The NFL is not the same game as it was 5 years ago.  Or 10 years ago.  Or 20.  The game changes.  None, of the rules that have been implemented since 1978 has impacted attendance or revenue.  It continues to go up.  The popularity continues to go up.  The league went from a running league to a passing league and it gets stronger and stronger.  No doubt there were probably fans that stopped watching as the game changed, but even the ones that hated the changes, a good majority are still watching the game today.  

The game is being made safer and the more successful teams have waiting lists to get a season ticket that last years and decades. 

As for the NFL game day experience, the most dire threat to that is not making the game safer by rule changes.  It is huge HD TVs that people can watch from the comfort of their homes, or at a Buffalo Wild Wings with buddies.  Not to say it is better, a game day experience is unique, but the attractiveness of watching at home is gaining popularity.  I think there were a record or unusual number of blackouts this year.  That was not due to the rule changes, but the experience from home.

The game needs to change.  When former players are saying they might not want to let their children play the game because of what the game does to you, that is damming.  

Archived