I really don't like Roger Goodell

Integrity28

MLB's issue was staying tied to the past and not adapting to change.  How many fans cried 'you are ruining the sanctity of the game' when the DH was added?  Or the playoffs were expanded?  Yet, the game is enjoying arguably its most successful period.

The NFL is not the same game as it was 5 years ago.  Or 10 years ago.  Or 20.  The game changes.  None, of the rules that have been implemented since 1978 has impacted attendance or revenue.  It continues to go up.  The popularity continues to go up.  The league went from a running league to a passing league and it gets stronger and stronger.  No doubt there were probably fans that stopped watching as the game changed, but even the ones that hated the changes, a good majority are still watching the game today.  

The game is being made safer and the more successful teams have waiting lists to get a season ticket that last years and decades. 

As for the NFL game day experience, the most dire threat to that is not making the game safer by rule changes.  It is huge HD TVs that people can watch from the comfort of their homes, or at a Buffalo Wild Wings with buddies.  Not to say it is better, a game day experience is unique, but the attractiveness of watching at home is gaining popularity.  I think there were a record or unusual number of blackouts this year.  That was not due to the rule changes, but the experience from home.

The game needs to change.  When former players are saying they might not want to let their children play the game because of what the game does to you, that is damming.  

MLB allowed their product to change to generate short-term interest... which ended up being steroids, stats with asteriks and a HUGE blemish on the game's history. Opening the door for it to lose it's place as America's game to the NFL. 

You don't mess with the product without an eye on the long-term business impact is my point. Goodell is doing exactly that with the changes he has and is trying to implement. 

I agree the concussion sh*t needs to be addressed, but I'm talking about Goodell's entire legacy... and the hypocrisy of adding more games, which is a complete contradiction to the ideal of making the game safer. In addition to the European games, and most importantly the rules created to make it pinball scoring... it reminds me of the same motives that MLB had for turning a blind eye to the 'roids... more scoring = more short-term interest, but long-term very damaging to the product.

Like I said before you are making great points, and I don't disagree with you on them. I do however think Goodell's approach is short-sighted and doesn't represent the best path to keeping the NFL out front long-term. IMO of course, I've just seen brands become #1 and then do stupid sh*t that changes the product or the customer experience, or both, and forfeit that #1 position as quick as they gained it.

Um.... that's the point.  Bigger, faster, stronger = bigger, faster more dangerous collisions.

eh im sure if I get tackled by a 300 pound guy (im 140 pounds) itll do a lot more damage to me then hitting another 300 pound dude. Its all relative but i guess you could argue there ligaments and such didnt get any stronger even with them getting stronger

MLB's issue was staying tied to the past and not adapting to change.  How many fans cried 'you are ruining the sanctity of the game' when the DH was added?  Or the playoffs were expanded?  Yet, the game is enjoying arguably its most successful period.

The NFL is not the same game as it was 5 years ago.  Or 10 years ago.  Or 20.  The game changes.  None, of the rules that have been implemented since 1978 has impacted attendance or revenue.  It continues to go up.  The popularity continues to go up.  The league went from a running league to a passing league and it gets stronger and stronger.  No doubt there were probably fans that stopped watching as the game changed, but even the ones that hated the changes, a good majority are still watching the game today.  

The game is being made safer and the more successful teams have waiting lists to get a season ticket that last years and decades. 

As for the NFL game day experience, the most dire threat to that is not making the game safer by rule changes.  It is huge HD TVs that people can watch from the comfort of their homes, or at a Buffalo Wild Wings with buddies.  Not to say it is better, a game day experience is unique, but the attractiveness of watching at home is gaining popularity.  I think there were a record or unusual number of blackouts this year.  That was not due to the rule changes, but the experience from home.

The game needs to change.  When former players are saying they might not want to let their children play the game because of what the game does to you, that is damming.  

There are a lot of former players who also express outrage at this sentiment, who say that football has given them everything they could have asked for in life. 

Not only monetarily, but from a discipline perspective, a teamwork perspective, and a confidence perspective starting back in their early high school days. 

Is it dangerous? Yes.  Is moving kickoffs up or making certain types of tackles or contact illegal really going to change that? No.  

Unless they are really going to change the game dramatically (eliminate the 3pt stance, have weight restrictions on players, etc) nothing they do will really have any significant impact on the level of dangerousness associated with football. 

MLB allowed their product to change to generate short-term interest... which ended up being steroids, stats with asteriks and a HUGE blemish on the game's history. Opening the door for it to lose it's place as America's game to the NFL. 

You don't mess with the product without an eye on the long-term business impact is my point. Goodell is doing exactly that with the changes he has and is trying to implement. 

I agree the concussion sh*t needs to be addressed, but I'm talking about Goodell's entire legacy... and the hypocrisy of adding more games, which is a complete contradiction to the ideal of making the game safer. In addition to the European games, and most importantly the rules created to make it pinball scoring... it reminds me of the same motives that MLB had for turning a blind eye to the 'roids... more scoring = more short-term interest, but long-term very damaging to the product.

Like I said before you are making great points, and I don't disagree with you on them. I do however think Goodell's approach is short-sighted and doesn't represent the best path to keeping the NFL out front long-term. IMO of course, I've just seen brands become #1 and then do stupid sh*t that changes the product or the customer experience, or both, and forfeit that #1 position as quick as they gained it.

I think we are comparing apples and oranges.  MLB had to do something to save itself from the strike.  In the end, their TV money has never been greater and their attendance is starting to creep higher to the alltime record of the 2007 season.  Plus, it is still higher than it was pre-strike.   

Goodell is trying to minimize the damage of the impending law suit.  For as much as people want to rip Goodell, Tags and possibly Rozelle left him a bag of $hit to deal with.  If, as alleged, the NFL hid the effects of concussions, then the NFL will eventually pay....a lot.    He needs to show they are trying to make the game safe in order to minimize damage.  It will be a process and some of it will need to be tweaked.  I do not argue that.  We will have to agree to disagree.  While the league is strong, it has some issues and I see Goodell as trying to react to it after previous commissioners did nothing.

Archived