Why not start Tebow at QB?

Blackout

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't get the hate for Tebow.    He sucks, he should play in the Arena Football league, but the guy did help the Broncos win a playoff game.

Manning couldn't even do that on a better team this year.        But guys like Daniel, McElroy, hell Sanchez again get chances to be backups and more and Tebow should be driven out of the NFL?   I don't get it.       Pryor on the Raiders sucks and it seems he's going to get a chance.  

Charlie batch and Bryon Leftwich have been in the NFL for years now,  really?  And honestly, if John Skeleton was a starter and beat out Kevin Kolb, i'm just confused on how those two guys are better than anybody in the NFL, including Tebow.

He is a beast when he has a good setup..history proves it. He is hated, because he has always won..leaving sore losers in his wake.

I don't talk to any ohio state fans, any FSU fans, or any BEARS fans, or so on and so on fans (even JETS fans) that like him.. because he wins, and gets the job done..ALL the teams in the SEC he came out of fans he QB'd wins over hate him..they still do. Then he ruined all sorts of plans in 2011 by being an ol stick in the eye of bunch or teams.

He came into the league out of a rookie lock out situation, got put off in favor of Kyle frigging Orton and finally "got a shot" at starting when the Broncos were 1-4. They had a one point eight chance of making the playoffs (especially with a rookie with no reps) at that point..and the defense was ranked 24th.

He actually won the starting job going into training camp per Elway, until  Manning actually materialized as an option, after all the kid

took over a sinking ship and won 7 or 8 out of 11 games..with a playoff win his first time out.

You watch the JETS though.. they will dump him, he will go somewhere else and win..and Rexie will still be trying to infuse his

*personality* into the team.. Ha !

He is a beast when he has a good setup..history proves it. He is hated, because he has always won..leaving sore losers in his wake.

I don't talk to any ohio state fans, any FSU fans, or any BEARS fans, or so on and so on fans (even JETS fans) that like him.. because he wins, and gets the job done..ALL the teams in the SEC he came out of fans he QB'd wins over hate him..they still do. Then he ruined all sorts of plans in 2011 by being an ol stick in the eye of bunch or teams.

The problem is that almost all people who evaluate QB talent feel that he has shown how badly he lacks the basic skills necessary to consistently win in the pro game.  The basic line is that he was a great college QB, (which does not necessarily mean a great pro QB), who took over for a journeyman who couldn't move the Broncos, got the team to believe in him, and went on a Cinderella run.

Once that magical wonderful two month run was over, most coaches think his lack of passing ability will assert itself and they'll just have to start over and look for someone else.

The problem is that almost all people who evaluate QB talent feel that he has shown how badly he lacks the basic skills necessary to consistently win in the pro game.  The basic line is that he was a great college QB, (which does not necessarily mean a great pro QB), who took over for a journeyman who couldn't move the Broncos, got the team to believe in him, and went on a Cinderella run.

Once that magical wonderful two month run was over, most coaches think his lack of passing ability will assert itself and they'll just have to start over and look for someone else.

i.e Chad Pennington 2002

I want a completely open competition between Garrard, Sanchez, Tebow and a draft pick.

It's what is happening. The problem lies in explaining that the competition wasn't fixed if/when Sanchez wins to the fans who see the only fair contest ending in him losing the job. Maybe Idzik can sprinkle some of his New GM pixie dust on the situation and buy some time if he has to.

This makes sense in a world where guys like Chase Daniel, Ryan Fitpatrick,  Terrell Pryor,  John Skeleton, Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Curtis Painter, hell Jesse Palmer, Glenn Foley, Ray Lucas, etc never get a shot. Not in a league where those kind of guys are still considered QBs and deserve to be paid to be a QB.

Nobody can say Tebow is your traditional QB. And the guy is closer to not being in the NFL at all than being a backup QB.  But I don't get the hatred around here or the hatred in general for the guy.  There are his big fans and then most others who seem to want the guy out of the NFL.   

Years ago there was some short guy who nobody seemed to ever give a fair shake.   A lot of people loved him, many people thought he couldn't play QB.    Different styles but same attitudes.   That guy never became a HOF QB, never won a super bowl or anything, but he spent plenty of years proving everybody wrong.    Tim Tebow isn't Doug Flutie,  but most people thought he couldn't play QB either.

NUTS.

Tebow ran one of the fastest offenses that ever existed in college.. and I refer to college, because the NFL refers to college, every year at draft time...   They are scouring the underbelly right now looking for a Manning or a *traditional* QB, those who are looking are usually leftover has beens that never made anything happen when they played the sport, so now they are scouts and coaches.

Tebow ran a spread option offense, the same one that Urban Meyer took to OHIO state recently and would have been in the BCS game against Bama had it not been for NCAA DIV 1 probation issues.. Of course they don't run the spread option in the NFL do they..well you better tell the Seahawks and the 49er's and the Redskins, because they are one step away from the spread option..the same empty backfield that Tebow ran against the JETS in his last game AGAINST them when he was with the BRoncos..  The only problem with the current QBS that run the *read* option as opposed to the spread option is they are as good as Tebow.

Tebow can throw, sure he had some ugly games, but it wasn't just Tebow that produced those ugly results.. he had no support at all, they tried NOT to start him, the same as the JETS are, but for different reasons.. it sure as hell wasn't because the kid couldn't play.. Tell me another backup that will take a losing team and make the playoffs with a 1.8% chance ?

You watch the JETS blow this.. all because Woody is a moron that shouldn't be an owner, and RR is a retard who is going to struggle getting a DC job when his ruination of the JETS is complete.  Mark Sanchez was never ready, he got thrown into it, and took the bait, now he is exposed as afraid of being hit, period.. 

Tebow will probably wind up behind Stanton over at Arizona, and get the starting job about week 4, and the JETS will look like idiots again.

The problem is that a lot of the people who evaluate QB talent are idiots, like they have Drew Bledsoe as starter when BRady is on the bench... or they evaluate Mark Sanchez as the new golden boy with 15 college starts and no conference championships.. 

If you're going to evaluate QB talent, you have to be a little more aware than just a Madden fan,   Look at the 49ers.. Harbaugh knew what he was doing by taking pocket boy out and sticking Kapernick in ..Look at the Seahawks, they had a perfectly expensive pocket boy waiting in the wings.. Matt FLynn.. (a lot of people around here want that loser to come to the JETS) and he didn't get to be starter, he lost it to a *read* option guy.. Wilson.

Guess what ?  Rex Ryan is clueless about offense. Marty is still stuck in the dark ages, and the JETS offseason moves are just non existent.  Ego's are what is going to keep the JETS from advancing until they get rid of RR and his entire mindset of ME ME ME ME ME

first, then the whole team and franchise is going to stay in the pits.

The problem is that a lot of the people who evaluate QB talent are idiots, like they have Drew Bledsoe as starter when BRady is on the bench... or they evaluate Mark Sanchez as the new golden boy with 15 college starts and no conference championships.. 

If you're going to evaluate QB talent, you have to be a little more aware than just a Madden fan,   Look at the 49ers.. Harbaugh knew what he was doing by taking pocket boy out and sticking Kapernick in ..Look at the Seahawks, they had a perfectly expensive pocket boy waiting in the wings.. Matt FLynn.. (a lot of people around here want that loser to come to the JETS) and he didn't get to be starter, he lost it to a *read* option guy.. Wilson.

Guess what ?  Rex Ryan is clueless about offense. Marty is still stuck in the dark ages, and the JETS offseason moves are just non existent.  Ego's are what is going to keep the JETS from advancing until they get rid of RR and his entire mindset of ME ME ME ME ME

first, then the whole team and franchise is going to stay in the pits.

I think this is a problem in a lot of industries.   Thinking outside the Box gets you fired, blacklisted, ridiculed, etc.  Most people don't want to be in that spot. Or they are still stuck in the dark ages and refuse to change. "If it's not broke, dont' fix it mentality."     Once in a while somebody comes around and tries something different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Look at the Steelers head coach. He's already trying to say Kapernick and Wilson and RG3 and those offenses are a one year wonder like the wildcat.    It could be, but it's funny a guy who coaches Big Ben would talk about QBs getting hit.   But it's that mentality or refusal to think outside the box.     

Tebow will probably never be a good QB in the traditional sense and you might never be able to rely on him as some franchise QB.  

But he went 8-8 with a Broncos team and beat the Jets 'vaunted' defense with Revis and Cromartie.  He beat the Steelers and Tomlin's defense.

One lucky play?    You can say that about Brady and the Tuck too.  Imagine if everybody just said it was because of the Pats defense that Brady won and they really lost to the Raiders.    Brady sits, never plays again, and the Patriots never win again.    

Tebow isn't Brady, but the fact nobody is even giving him a chance is ridiculous.   Mark Sanchez got 4 years, and probably will have year #5.  And he sucks. And he has no confidence in his skills at this point.    Hell, Jamarcus Russell got more of a shot than Tebow and he sucked and was a lazy overweight basket case.  And stories are out he's making a comeback.    The fact a story is written where Ruessel can make a comeback and Tebow should be in the AFL makes no sense.

New GM Idzik wants to give Tebow the chance he supposedly never got to compete at QB. Maybe it's worth a shot with nothing to lose. Any favorable results may give Tebow more value on the trading block, which he doesn't have now!

Personally I would love to see Tebow get a chance...Sanchez has had a million chances...we know what he's got.

I had thought that Tebow's career was doomed but the longer the Jets hang onto him the more likely it is that they have reason to beleave that a couple of teams are interested in his services. There is probably too much bad blood for Tebow to stay a Jet and certainly not for him to start unless they go through Sanchez, Garrard, and whoever else for a few games.

NUTS.

Tebow ran one of the fastest offenses that ever existed in college.. and I refer to college, because the NFL refers to college, every year at draft time...   They are scouring the underbelly right now looking for a Manning or a *traditional* QB, those who are looking are usually leftover has beens that never made anything happen when they played the sport, so now they are scouts and coaches.

Tebow ran a spread option offense, the same one that Urban Meyer took to OHIO state recently and would have been in the BCS game against Bama had it not been for NCAA DIV 1 probation issues.. Of course they don't run the spread option in the NFL do they..well you better tell the Seahawks and the 49er's and the Redskins, because they are one step away from the spread option..the same empty backfield that Tebow ran against the JETS in his last game AGAINST them when he was with the BRoncos..  The only problem with the current QBS that run the *read* option as opposed to the spread option is they are as good as Tebow.

Tebow can throw, sure he had some ugly games, but it wasn't just Tebow that produced those ugly results.. he had no support at all, they tried NOT to start him, the same as the JETS are, but for different reasons.. it sure as hell wasn't because the kid couldn't play.. Tell me another backup that will take a losing team and make the playoffs with a 1.8% chance ?

You watch the JETS blow this.. all because Woody is a moron that shouldn't be an owner, and RR is a retard who is going to struggle getting a DC job when his ruination of the JETS is complete.  Mark Sanchez was never ready, he got thrown into it, and took the bait, now he is exposed as afraid of being hit, period.. 

Tebow will probably wind up behind Stanton over at Arizona, and get the starting job about week 4, and the JETS will look like idiots again.

Chad Pennington in 2002 took over a team that had been outscored 102-13 and led them to the playoffs, got a win over Peyton Manning as well in the playoffs. So this 1.8 percent chance that you keep throwing out there means nothing. 

We all saw how Pennington turned out. Even when he helped turn around around 1-15 team and won a division in 2008 he still wasn't that good.

Archived