When Revis is gone, what options will we have?

Integrity28

Is it just me or would it make sense that the JETS to sign a CB before they send Revis out on his way.

There is no way Revis should be traded till the JETS get proper compensation in form of picks and JETS have a POA on what hey will do next. If the plan is to sign a FA than not sure whether we can get a decent FA for the 6.5 mill that Revis is going to be paid this season. And if Revis holds out than it is to the JETS advantage.

IMO if the JETS are not getting proper compensation they should just stick with Revis for this season and see where they are cap wise (should be a better situation) next season. Maybe and just maybe after the blowup of the Aso signing the market is just not there for a 16 mill a year salary for a CB in a flat cap world and  the JETS are able to sign Revis after next season for a 10-12 mill deal.

100% agree.  

Getting rid of Revis now seems like the smart thing to do, but next March it will be obvious it was a foolish idea. 

Is it just me or would it make sense that the JETS to sign a CB before they send Revis out on his way.

There is no way Revis should be traded till the JETS get proper compensation in form of picks and JETS have a POA on what hey will do next. If the plan is to sign a FA than not sure whether we can get a decent FA for the 6.5 mill that Revis is going to be paid this season. And if Revis holds out than it is to the JETS advantage.

IMO if the JETS are not getting proper compensation they should just stick with Revis for this season and see where they are cap wise (should be a better situation) next season. Maybe and just maybe after the blowup of the Aso signing the market is just not there for a 16 mill a year salary for a CB in a flat cap world and  the JETS are able to sign Revis after next season for a 10-12 mill deal.

It would be a terrible move for the Jets to do this unless they know for certain there is going to be a bidding war for Revis and that they're going to be happy with whatever that winning bid ends up being.  

1.  Hurts our ability to posture that we're willing to keep Revis.

2.  Hurts our ability to actually keep Revis with the hopes of re-signing him in 2014 (if the market for his services proves reasonable and we are willing to outbid every team he doesn't hate more).  Now we've already got Cromartie and another recently-signed CB.  And to that we're going to add re-signing Revis in '14 according to your plan?

I get why you'd want to do it, so we end up with 100% certainty at the position. But it's a terrible move for us in either case of trading him or keeping him.

If we knew for certain we were "guaranteed" to get at least a 1st and a 2nd at worst, then I could advocate signing a new CB now.  

But truthfully I still wouldn't do it.  Find another one in the draft.  We already have a high-priced veteran cornerback.  We don't need two.

Draft another one this year and hopefully he takes Wilson's job away by the end of the year.  (Ideally he'd take Wilson's job by the end of August, but I'll accept by end of the season).

It would be a terrible move for the Jets to do this unless they know for certain there is going to be a bidding war for Revis and that they're going to be happy with whatever that winning bid ends up being.  

1.  Hurts our ability to posture that we're willing to keep Revis.

2.  Hurts our ability to actually keep Revis with the hopes of re-signing him in 2014 (if the market for his services proves reasonable and we are willing to outbid every team he doesn't hate more).  Now we've already got Cromartie and another recently-signed CB.  And to that we're going to add re-signing Revis in '14 according to your plan?

I get why you'd want to do it, so we end up with 100% certainty at the position. But it's a terrible move for us in either case of trading him or keeping him.

If we knew for certain we were "guaranteed" to get at least a 1st and a 2nd at worst, then I could advocate signing a new CB now.  

But truthfully I still wouldn't do it.  Find another one in the draft.  We already have a high-priced veteran cornerback.  We don't need two.

Draft another one this year and hopefully he takes Wilson's job away by the end of the year.  (Ideally he'd take Wilson's job by the end of August, but I'll accept by end of the season).

I was talking doing one of the 2 things.

Trade Revis for high compensation of picks.

OR

If no good compensation is coming forth for Revis than keep him and give him the 6.5 million he makes and then see what we can do next season. If he does not show up we can keep him for a few more seasons. Worst case scenario here is Revis walks. But on risk reward basis that would be a risk I would be willing to take.

But trading him away for next to nothing and then going out and signing another CB in FA who will cost as much if not more or not having enough draft picks but still using one of the high round ones on CB and putting it all on the able shoulders of Kyle Wilson for a season would not be moves I would not want the JETS make. If JETS are trading Revis than the JETS better have a few high round picks to show for it this season and the next. 

Edited by JetsFanInDenver

this thread is underrating how good Revis is, and overrating his possible replacements. half these guys can't even cover man to man. they aren't signing Aqib talib a zone cover 2 corner for rex D. Aso is old and done. Pacman Jones is basically a PR/KR at this point. 

btw Revis is making "only" 6.5 Mil this year and trading him bites the cap another 3 mil this year. So he's cheaper than alot of these names too. For 2013 at least.

Bit' you are being disingenuous when you say Revis is only being paid 6.5 million this year; you well know that he was paid an 18 million bonus in 2011 on top of his 6 million salary in 2011 ... the figure you quote it is not reflective of the deal that he signed as a whole (which is front loaded).

Edited by Gangrene

I was talking doing one of the 2 things.

Trade Revis for high compensation of picks.

OR

If no good compensation is coming forth for Revis than keep him and give him the 6.5 million he makes and then see what we can do next season. If he does not show up we can keep him for a few more seasons. Worst case scenario here is Revis walks. But on risk reward basis that would be a risk I would be willing to take.

But trading him away for next to nothing and then going out and signing another CB in FA who will cost as much if not more or not having enough draft picks but still using one of the high round ones on CB and putting it all on the able shoulders of Kyle Wilson for a season would not be moves I would not want the JETS make. If JETS are trading Revis than the JETS better have a few high round picks to show for it this season and the next. 

Who said anything about trading him for next to nothing?

And I was commenting on what seemed to be - from your post above - your desire to have the position locked up prior to trading Revis (if/when we do in fact trade him).  I'm merely stating that while I can sympathize with that desire, it is a bad business move unless - at the time we acquire that new CB - we know for sure we're getting great trade value for Revis for the reasons I outlined.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a CB who costs as much as Revis, except for a 1 year snapshot in what is not going to be a superbowl season with or without him.  After that year, he's gone for good and then we'll be letting him go for "next to nothing" after that.

Last year it was rumored Revis wanted $16M/year.  That turned out to be true.  He signed a deal for less money because it seems he was assured that was only a "band-aid" deal that we'd tear up after 2 years/$32M ($16M/year for 2 years) went by.  Now it's rumored that even coming off his ACL injury that he wants to be the highest-paid defender in the NFL.  I see no reason to doubt these rumors.  So for the Jets to pay him in that range - something like $16M/year - then Revis's average cap hit over the first few years will be $19M not $16M because of all the bonus money he's been paid from his existing deal.  Forget what he'd be getting paid on the new deal -- look at what it will cost the team's cap to re-sign him.

He is, without a doubt, the best CB I've ever seen, probably the best CB there's ever been when you factor in today's rules, and is also probably the best football player the Jets have ever had.  And with all that, hitting the salary cap to the tune of $19M/year for a CB is completely retarded.  Particularly one who is iffy at best to play out his contract.

%

Bit' you are being disingenuous when you say Revis is only being paid 6.5 million this year; you well know that he was paid an 18 million bonus in 2011 on top of his 6 million salary in 2011 ... the figure you quote it is not reflective of the deal that he signed as a whole (which is front loaded).

i mention the 3 mil cap hit for trade or cut which implies past money

there's an economics term for this "Sunk cost" the money they paid Revis in 2011 is gone. Im just trying to frame what's the best move for the Jets in 2013. 

Edited by bitonti

Aso is for sure not done. In Philly they weren't playing bump and run. Look back on all those TDs, most came on communication errors of switching off in bail coverage and such. Have Cro play in that system and he would look like a damn peasent playing football. I think Aso in this system would be great but like unlike Revis, Aso sticks to a particular side.

Who said anything about trading him for next to nothing?

Ha ha...this is becoming a comedy of misunderstandings. I was referring to the few posts i have read where other people want to trade him a 2nd and 3rd rounders only. That was the intent of my original post.

And I was commenting on what seemed to be - from your post above - your desire to have the position locked up prior to trading Revis (if/when we do in fact trade him).  I'm merely stating that while I can sympathize with that desire, it is a bad business move unless - at the time we acquire that new CB - we know for sure we're getting great trade value for Revis for the reasons I outlined.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a CB who costs as much as Revis, except for a 1 year snapshot in what is not going to be a superbowl season with or without him.  After that year, he's gone for good and then we'll be letting him go for "next to nothing" after that.

Last year it was rumored Revis wanted $16M/year.  That turned out to be true.  He signed a deal for less money because it seems he was assured

that was only a "band-aid" deal that we'd tear up after 2 years/$32M($16M/year for 2 years) went by.  Now it's rumored that even coming off

his ACL injury that he wants to be the highest-paid defender in the NFL. I see no reason to doubt these rumors.  So for the Jets to pay him in

that range - something like $16M/year - then Revis's average cap hit over the first few years will be $19M not $16M because of all the bonus

money he's been paid from his existing deal.  Forget what he'd be getting paid on the new deal -- look at what it will cost the team's cap

to re-sign him.

I was saying instead of trading him away for cheap I would rather keep him. If he gone than i want a lot of picks and JETS to have an idea on what they are going to do next whether via draft or free agency. But if they do not get a decent set of picks than i would not trade him and letting him go for next to nothing is a risk I would be willing to take. There are 3 reasons why i think we or for that matter any other team will not have to pay 16 mill/yr to Revis:

1, The blowing up of the Aso deal.

2. Flat salary cap era.

3. Al Davis is dead!

So even after this season we have a reasonable shot at signing him. And as i said that will be the risk i would be willing to take.

Here is the reason i say what i say......if the other side knows you are desperate you are never going to get best compensation. And that is the part that worries me.

Added to that Revis holding out works to our advantage. I do not think the JETS signed him last time around with the expectaion of tearing up the deal in 2  years and giving him a new deal. Otherwise there would have no poison pill option in the deal if Revis held out. The JETS expected him to play out 3 years and that's what the JETS should hold him to do.

He is, without a doubt, the best CB I've ever seen, probably the best CB there's ever been when you factor in today's rules, and is also probably the best football player the Jets have ever had.  And with all that, hitting the salary cap to the tune of $19M/year for a CB is completely retarded.  Particularly one who is iffy at best to play out his contract.

%

I agree. He is the best at his position but not worth the money unless Revis can throw for 400 yards a game with no interceptions!

Edited by JetsFanInDenver

Ha ha...this is becoming a comedy of misunderstandings. I was referring to the few posts i have read where other people want to trade him a 2nd and 3rd rounders only. That was the intent of my original post.

I was saying instead of trading him away for cheap I would rather keep him. If he gone than i want a lot of picks and JETS to have an idea on what they are going to do next whether via draft or free agency. But if they do not get a decent set of picks than i would not trade him and letting him go for next to nothing is a risk I would be willing to take. There are 3 reasons why i think we or for that matter any other team will not have to pay 16 mill/yr to Revis:

1, The blowing up of the Aso deal.

2. Flat salary cap era.

3. Al Davis is dead!

So even after this season we have a reasonable shot at signing him. And as i said that will be the risk i would be willing to take.

Here is the reason i say what i say......if the other side knows you are desperate you are never going to get best compensation. And that is the part that worries me.

Added to that Revis holding out works to our advantage. I do not think the JETS signed him last time around with the expectaion of tearing up the deal in 2  years and giving him a new deal. Otherwise there would have no poison pill option in the deal if Revis held out. The JETS expected him to play out 3 years and that's what the JETS should hold him to do.

I agree. He is the best at his position but not worth the money unless Revis can throw for 400 yards a game with no interceptions!

If the Jets don't trade Revis and they continue to throw out rumors or the media throws out rumors,   they are going to get nothing for him.

He is already pissed off, he's been pissed off and greedy in the past, and the Jets would be stupid to pay him $16 million per year.  That's just guaranteeing this team tries to build a winning franchise around a position that doesn't win or lose you games most of the time.  They might help, but they sure aren't going to lead you to the playoffs.     In 2011, with Revis, the Jets went 8-8.   In 2012, without Revis, the Jets went 6-10 and had one of the worst QB performances in years.  This is why Revis isn't worth that much money.  

There have been scenarios where instead of paying Revis $16 million per year, the Jets could have good to better than good players.

It's all hypothetical, but paying Revis $16 mil probably means Cromartie is gone.  Not the end of the world, but if Kyle Wilson is the guy, teams wont give a crap about Revis.  They'll just throw to the other side.   Or they'll run the ball.  Haven't we seen this before?  It's not like the Jets with Revis were going 15-1 every season.    And this is assuming he's healthy.   If he's not or he is a step slower, suddenly he does nothing for you.   

Brady and Manning can come back from Injuries and improvise.   AP is one in a million.  If Revis isn't the same player, what does he become?  A guy who gets $16 million for doing not that much.  And to me, Revis is bailing on the Jets if they don't make an extension now.  So no trade now means he jets at the end of the year.   If he is healthy, some team like the jags or bills will pay him a ton of money.  Go ask the bills about paying players tons of money and getting nowhere.   

Edited by pedro55

If the Jets don't trade Revis and they continue to throw out rumors or the media throws out rumors,   they are going to get nothing for him.

He is already pissed off, he's been pissed off and greedy in the past, and the Jets would be stupid to pay him $16 million per year.  That's just guaranteeing this team tries to build a winning franchise around a position that doesn't win or lose you games most of the time.  They might help, but they sure aren't going to lead you to the playoffs.     In 2011, with Revis, the Jets went 8-8.   In 2012, without Revis, the Jets went 6-10 and had one of the worst QB performances in years.  This is why Revis isn't worth that much money.  

There have been scenarios where instead of paying Revis $16 million per year, the Jets could have good to better than good players.

It's all hypothetical, but paying Revis $16 mil probably means Cromartie is gone.  Not the end of the world, but if Kyle Wilson is the guy, teams wont give a crap about Revis.  They'll just throw to the other side.   Or they'll run the ball.  Haven't we seen this before?  It's not like the Jets with Revis were going 15-1 every season.    And this is assuming he's healthy.   If he's not or he is a step slower, suddenly he does nothing for you.   

Brady and Manning can come back from Injuries and improvise.   AP is one in a million.  If Revis isn't the same player, what does he become?  A guy who gets $16 million for doing not that much.  And to me, Revis is bailing on the Jets if they don't make an extension now.  So no trade now means he jets at the end of the year.   If he is healthy, some team like the jags or bills will pay him a ton of money.  Go ask the bills about paying players tons of money and getting nowhere.   

We have already seen money mean more to him than who pisses him off.

You have valid points on why we should not pay him 16 mill. But what part of my post said that we should pay him 16 mill. Infact you are proving my point. Thanks.

Comparatively most of them are healthy, not super expensive, not prima donnas, and won't cost draft picks.

They're not "prime donnas" because almost all of them really need to earn a job. What should be taken out of that is the Jets can have some quality DB depth next season with or without overpaying for Landry. I would much rather overpay Revis than way overpay Landry anyway.

Edited by SenorGato

Comparatively most of them are healthy, not super expensive, not prima donnas, and won't cost draft picks.

Read that list again. Start with the first name and scroll on down.  Pacman Jones?  Revis has one of the best attitudes at the position.  He just wants to get paid.  There isn't a name on that list that doesn't want and expect to get paid as much as humanly possible.  Fortuately some of the guys aren't worth much. See Coleman, Drew.