Cimini: Jets Hoping to Re-Sign Devito

flgreen

It's certainly not good.

Even more certainly not bad.

I don't know why this board is so hot and bothered over CB paychecks. It's hardly new to see them reach premium pay rates, and before there was Aso there was Nate Clements as the second highest defensive player in the league during the late 2000's. Then there's that this board is constantly talking about team speed on defense while turning around and saying that the fastest defenders on defense, who happen to consistently be put on an island in this D against teams' top pass catching options at a time when passing the ball is at a huge premium on offense, does not make an impact. I get that the Gato is a crazed man and sh*t, but the thinking on the CB position here screams dated. I mean there are almost 100 of these guys starting every week in the NFL nowadays because of how offenses operate, Cromartie and Revis are two of the FIVE best right now, and this isn't a position to not pay more money for? In the same division as Tom Brady? For serious? Are the Jets even competitive in games with the Patriots if they're not getting premium DB play? Where should they be throwing the money? WRs? A position where good QBs and offenses consistently turn guys Robert Meachem into 6+ million dollar guys on the open market? RBs? F'n guards? The Cowboys paid DeMarcus Ware a boatload and have done nothing with him for almost a decade, the whole time since they've been looking for quality DBs (including trading up for arguably the best defensive player in the 2011 draft - a CB). Maybe at some point we reevaluate the conventional wisdom on CB here? Maybe? Possibly? 

Even more certainly not bad.

I don't know why this board is so hot and bothered over CB paychecks. It's hardly new to see them reach premium pay rates. Then there's that this board is constantly talking about team speed on defense while turning around and saying that the fastest defenders on defense, who happen to consistently be put on an island in this D against teams' top pass catching options at a time when passing the ball is at a huge premium on offense, does not make an impact. It screams dated thinking...

For someone who's made a living out of disagreeing with whatever conventional wisdom happens to be at the moment, you sure tilt at a lot of windmills. I like Cromartie and he's put up a couple of really nice seasons in a row here, but his contract's only good if you don't have another CB asking for an average yearly salary in the mid-teens.

For someone who's made a living out of disagreeing with whatever conventional wisdom happens to be at the moment, you sure tilt at a lot of windmills. I like Cromartie and he's put up a couple of really nice seasons in a row here, but his contract's only good if you don't have another CB asking for an average yearly salary in the mid-teens.

When we get there then the situation can be evaluated in that context. As it is, it's an extremely appealing one for teams that could use a top CB talent and not a bad one for Los Yets. 

Who's the last big-time corner to play in a Super Bowl? Deion?

Asante Samuel...Who else...Brown and Sheperd were a pretty big deal at the time the Eagles made it...Marcus Trufant...Charles Tillman...Corey Webster...Diluted relative to Law/Barber/Woodson/Woodson, but all were top corners at the time of their team's successes.

Archived