Ryan Nassib - 2nd Round QB - Opinions?

Latinlawyer

If the Jets could get Nassib in the 2nd Round (either by trade or by staying put) do you think its a good move? I say it is, this guy would be good for the WCO and would work out well for us. I think we need to be ahead of the Bills to get him so that might mean we trade ahead of them to get Nassib. 

What do you guys think of Nassib? As i review the game tapes of the QBs the Jets could target (Glennon, Bray, Manuel, Nassib, Barkley) I think Nassib has that something that says he will be a good player. I think Glennon needs about 1-2 years on the bench to get NFL ready. Manuel, a physically gifted player but I think he is very raw. As for Barkley, NO MORE USC QBs. 

Opinions?

He can put good velocity on throws but don't trust his deep ball. Well built athlete that looks slightly taller than he is, plenty of experience and numbers, seems like he might good interview but **** if I know for sure...Seems almost like an ideal 2nd round pick at QB if there is such a thing.

In an average QB years, he's worth considering in the 4th or 5th. This crop sucks so you'd have to think about him sooner. I just don't think he's worth it in the 2nd versus other glaring issues. He's not going to be a long term answer and that's what they need.

This. His skills are average at best across the board, he does nothing exceptionally well, didn't make players around him in college better and was never someone that other teams had to gameplan for or feared. Committing a second round pick to this kind of mediocrity would be as stupid as it gets.  

That seems like good company. The guy who thinks Tyler Austin is elite agrees on a prospect with the guy who think Te'o is a first round pick. It's a match made in Heck.

You're a broken record, can't win an argument? So cross post from other arguments you lost!

Here, instead of spewing some of your normal foolishless that isn't based in reality, watch Nassib play. If this looks like an elite QB to you you're even dumber than you make yourself seem with your posts lately...

Who said anything about elite? We're debating whether or not he'd be a good value in the second round.

Good 2nd round QB's are projects with great skills and no polish like Kaepernick who have a chance to make an impact down the road. Nassib is the opposite of that. 2nd round picks are too valuable to waste on mediocrity. 

Who said anything about elite? We're debating whether or not he'd be a good value in the second round.

Elite was clearly this months word on the calendar and he's just clumsily trying to work it into his vocabulary.

Glad he approves of Kaepernick in the second two years later after a SB run. It's that kind of hard hitting analysis that makes him really happy with himself.

Elite was clearly this months word on the calendar and he's just clumsily trying to work it into his vocabulary.

Glad he approves of Kaepernick in the second two years later after a SB run. It's that kind of hard hitting analysis that makes him really happy with himself.

You have no actual argument about why Nassib is a good player (because he isn't), so you just go back to name calling like an angry little boy. 

The USC clips made me want to puke. If that's what he looks like vs. players who run at NFL speeds, I'll pass. His stock is being inflated because there's one legit QB in this draft, and every analyst is hungry to anoint the best of the rest. If Nassib had better tools, you could understand the optimism, but he really doesn't. He's a guy you draft, give a few starts to, and then in three years you're desperately looking to replace.

Russell Wilson went in the 3rd last year in a good year for QBs. Nassib last season goes in the 4th or 5th.  He's a product of the craptacular QBs in this 2013 draft,

This is true.  If Wilson was available in this draft I wonder where he would be drafter after the combine?  I think he would at a minimum be 1st round.  Could very well be first or second QB selected.  What a difference a year can make. 

This is true. If Wilson was available in this draft I wonder where he would be drafter after the combine? I think he would at a minimum be 1st round. Could very well be first or second QB selected. What a difference a year can make.

Ehhhhh, Wilson would still be 5'11 this year, too. What you'd see is Brock Osweiler, Cousins, and Nick Foles go a little earlier, with Mike Glennon, EJ Manuel, and Tyler Wilson falling in behind them. Nassib would still be in that second round mix, imo.

Ehhhhh, Wilson would still be 5'11 this year, too. What you'd see is Brock Osweiler, Cousins, and Nick Foles go a little earlier, with Mike Glennon, EJ Manuel, and Tyler Wilson falling in behind them. Nassib would still be in that second round mix, imo.

True.  but i still remember during the combine all the pundits commenting on his superior release and athleticism.  I wonder hos his success will way in on any other skillful midget QB's coming out? 

Hed go higher than the 4th or 5th round in an average year, whatever that is.

I dont think he is the answer, but he could serve as a good backup once we do get our QB in place.  And I think abackup could beat Mark out this year as starting QB. Mark cannot play home games in front of the Jet crowd. Whether that is worth a second round pick, that is another story.

The USC clips made me want to puke. If that's what he looks like vs. players who run at NFL speeds, I'll pass. His stock is being inflated because there's one legit QB in this draft, and every analyst is hungry to anoint the best of the rest. If Nassib had better tools, you could understand the optimism, but he really doesn't. He's a guy you draft, give a few starts to, and then in three years you're desperately looking to replace.

So you've been watching clips of E.J. Manuel too, huh?

Russell Wilson went in the 3rd last year in a good year for QBs. Nassib last season goes in the 4th or 5th. He's a product of the craptacular QBs in this 2013 draft,

How does a 5'10" guy going in a third in a "good year" explain what you're talking about? What does one have to do with the other?

Any QB we draft this year has to be viewed as a back-up.  Anything else is a reach.  Pick the best available QB in the mid-late rounds and use the early picks for any positions other than QB.   Any of the QB's in this class who go early have bust written all over them.  

Problem is, with the exception of , maybe Bridgewater, the QB class next year doesn’t look any better. Of course there is a whole year between now and then, and anything can happen, but right now to me, it looks pretty grim.

I agree with you by the way, any QB taken this year, including Geno, before the 3rd round is a reach

How does a 5'10" guy going in a third in a "good year" explain what you're talking about? What does one have to do with the other?

It's called a comparison.  All I am saying is this is a terrible year for QBs, so average QBs are going to go higher than they would in a normal year.  I'm not sure what you don't understand.

It's called a comparison. All I am saying is this is a terrible year for QBs, so average QBs are going to go higher than they would in a normal year. I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Pretty much everything you're saying. Why is Russell Wilson going in the third relevant to Ryan Nassib's draft stock? Just smells like hindsight. Wilson was a sub-6' QB who completed more than 60% of his passes one time in college (though it was an impressive 72% or something). Why should he have gone higher given what was known at the time? 

I would say if anyone had the potential to come in and Russell Wilson (obviously different styles of play) the league from this draft it would be Nassib. 

Pretty much everything you're saying. Why is Russell Wilson going in the third relevant to Ryan Nassib's draft stock? Just smells like hindsight. Wilson was a sub-6' QB who completed more than 60% of his passes one time in college (though it was an impressive 72% or something). Why should he have gone higher given what was known at the time? 

I would say if anyone had the potential to come in and Russell Wilson (obviously different styles of play) the league from this draft it would be Nassib. 

Nothing of what you're saying matters to my original point, which you have still yet to refute.  I'm not saying Russell Wilson should have gone higher, at all.  In hindsight, yes, of course, but that has nothing to do with my original point of how bad these QBs are and that none are worth a high 2nd round pick, especially Nassib who, in a year when a few QBs are talked about in the top 5 or 10, wouldn't be even thought of until the 3rd day.

my personal opinion on Nassib is he's not consistent. there are throws he makes at Syracuse that make you think he's awesome. There are throws that he makes where he stinks. He was at the Senior Bowl week and was ok at practice but 4-10 with 1 INT in the game. The guy struggles and I don't think he's anyone's solution at QB. 

The other factor many people are missing is coaching.  Yes the kid needs some talent, but Kapernick was raw.  We saw what harbaugh's staff did with Alex Smith.   Alex Smith was going the way of Tim Couch and Cade Mcknwon and every other bust who never made it in the NFL.  Smith was lucky Harbaugh gave him one last shot and the rest is history.  Alex smith had his best season as a QB and then was on pace to have an even better season until his injury and benching.   I'm sure Kapernick benefiting a lot from a coaching staff who could turn a bust into a 70 percent passer.   

As far as Wilson, who knows, it seems the Seahawks have been improving every season under pete.       Whereas the Jets have been getting worse and worse under Rex and staff.  And Sanchez went from a kid who was raw to a kid who shouldn't even be in the NFL.  

Most QBs aren't Manning or Luck.  So you need good coaches who can not only help improve the young QB along the way, but also help with his confidence, his transition to the NFL, ups and downs, etc.   Many coaches just aren't that good.    So you have lots of busts who might've been ok somewhere else.    Alex Smith is a perfect example.   He's had what, 10 coaches in his career.   And if Harbaugh thought Kapernick was a starter from day one,  Alex Smith would be out of the NFL now instead of the assumed starter on the Chiefs    

And the truth is, Sanchez isn't all that different from Smith.  I don't think Sanchez is as good, but at the end of the day,  Alex Smith was far worse than Sanchez was for most of his short career.   Look at a Donovan Mcnabb.   If the Eagles drafted Ricky Williams and Mcnabb goes to the Saints or some other team back then,  he probably never comes close to what he became.   Sometimes coaching is the difference between a bust and a decent player.

So whoever they draft this year or next,  a lot of it will depend on coaching.   And we've seen most teams have poor coaching, not just the jets.

Archived