Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The prevailing pro Belichick wisdom is that Vinny had matured and was becoming a serious QB with the Browns. He went 9-4 and then the following year they knew they were leaving to move to Baltimore and the wheels fell off. The Ravens started out with old Colts coach Ted Marchibroda from the Bert Jones - Roger Carr - Lydell Mitchell Colts and had a top 5 offense the first year, but a sucky D. Vinny T made the pro bowl over 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. The following year Testaverde regressed a bit and was replaced by QB of the future (Eric Zeier! I had to look this up I was way off) and the next year Belly supposedly championed his joining the Jets. Vinny was a victim of circumstance!

* No I do not buy this, but it is what I have repeatedly been told by a rabid pro Belichick Giants fan.

I'm just staring at you.

Meh. I doubt he signs a contract for 16 million a year and that he makes no impact, but those are now JN Facts.

I doubt he goes the rest of his career without holding out on said less-than-16 mil-a-year contract. Because, Flacco.

He definitely will have an bigger impact on a team that doesn't have an Antonio Cromartie or Rex Ryan coaching. No one doubts that.

Exactly the philosophy that got the Jets in this mess.

I’m sure Idzik is excited about following Tannenbaum to the unemployment line 

I just can't worry about 2014 NFL football season. 2013 hasn't happened yet.

And the Sanchez pick is what got Tanny fired not any sort of cap mismanagement. the problem with the cap is that Sanchez sucks. Not that the Jets spent too much money or whatever. It's who they spent it on. 

I just can't worry about 2014 NFL football season. 2013 hasn't happened yet.

And the Sanchez pick is what got Tanny fired not any sort of cap mismanagement. the problem with the cap is that Sanchez sucks. Not that the Jets spent too much money or whatever. It's who they spent it on. 

You aren't scouting the 2015 draft?  Weak.

I don't think people understand that, in most sports, you never get equal value in return for a player like Revis.  It's just the way it is.

No team, unless they were idiots, would give up a top 10 pick and then some for Revis.    Expecting that is just absurd.   

As much as people love to slurp the Seahawks,  they've been a team who overpaid for guys like Whitehurst, signed a  guy like Flynn to a crazy deal, etc. So them trading away picks for Harvin isn't out of the blue.    Maybe the Jets can trade Revis to the Seahawks. But how many picks do they have left?    

If we're giving you the best defender in the NFl,we get a #1 this year plus some other needful things, period.

If idzik doesn't get a 2013 #1 as part of a Revis deal  he has failed.

fwiw I have a friend who knows an ex-jet player and claims he is a quasi insider and that the werd is revis is getting traded this week and it involves a good offer

hmmmm

so if this happens I want a cookie

If we're giving you the best defender in the NFl,we get a #1 this year plus some other needful things, period.

If idzik doesn't get a 2013 #1 as part of a Revis deal  he has failed.

This is what you want, it's usually not the way the real world works.

Champ Bailey and a 2nd rounder was traded for Clinton Portis.    It would be great to get a #1 and then some for Revis,

but I'm not caling Idzik a failure because he traded Revis for a 2nd rounder and other draft picks.     

Now if Revis isn't traded and the jets lose him to free agency for essentially nothing next year, then yes, I'd call Idzik a failure.

I still don't buy the 16 million dollar figure. I would love that deal.

The Ravens can get nearly a half a dozen theoretical starters rather than pay Flacco. They could use it too with Lewis and Reed heading out, some OL issues, and Paul Kruger maybe leaving. They instead put the money into what currently helps them win games, and they STILL have a second large contract with Suggs. The Cowboys pay the more impactful roles of QB and pass rusher and still haven't won anything and are always on the lookout for secondary help. Revis is in that tier of player as Suggs/Ware - elite, game changing talents - and should get paid like one. The Jets would be smart to be he team to do it.

You can land a quality starter or two by trading Cromartie. There's 8 million to work with + the pick compensation.

The other thing to is everyone keeps crowing you only give a QB this money, OK fine, but we don't have a QB to give this money to, and were not getting one in FA, the goal seems to be draft one either this year, or next, so even if they draft the next Peyton Manning they won't have to pay him that big ridiculous contract to him for 3-4 years, so who else do we give the big money to? Every team has 1 guy making mega bucks, once Sanchez is off the books next year we don't have that guy, so why not give it to the best CB maybe ever, definetly best since Deion! This owner is a ******* piece of sh*t scumbag, who has no clue how the NFL works, and every year the Jets get laughed at more, and more from the owner down to the fans, unfortunately all us fans can do is stop being fans, we have no other control.

Champ Bailey and a 2nd rounder was traded for Clinton Portis.    It would be great to get a #1 and then some for Revis,

but I'm not caling Idzik a failure because he traded Revis for a 2nd rounder and other draft picks.     

Now if Revis isn't traded and the jets lose him to free agency for essentially nothing next year, then yes, I'd call Idzik a failure.

Why ?

So a 2nd this year, or a 3rd next year (that's what the compensation the Jets will receive for Revis walking) I will take my chances negotiating with Revis between now, and this time next year if the difference is that, you would be stupid not to!

At the time that would be the equivalent of the Jets trading Revis, and a 2nd for C Johnson, that's how good the Redskins thought C Portis was, yes they were dead wrong!

Why ?

If the Jets could get a 2nd this year, maybe a 3rd or 4th, plus something next year, that would be a bunch of picks.

But if Revis isn't traded, the Jets go 6-10,  Revis signs with the Patriots,  and all the Jets get is a 4th round compensatory pick,  that is a GM who should have gotten a hell of a lot more when he could.   

If the Jets could get a 2nd this year, maybe a 3rd or 4th, plus something next year, that would be a bunch of picks.

But if Revis isn't traded, the Jets go 6-10,  Revis signs with the Patriots,  and all the Jets get is a 4th round compensatory pick,  that is a GM who should have gotten a hell of a lot more when he could.   

If that was the attitude of all GM's no one would ever get a 1st round pick in a trade!

At the time that would be the equivalent of the Jets trading Revis, and a 2nd for C Johnson, that's how good the Redskins thought C Portis was, yes they were dead wrong!

The Redskins were stupid because everybody ran for over 1000 yards on the Broncos back then.  

ANd Bailey was one of the best CBs in the NFL and young.    Portis was ok, Bailey was good, but neither team ever won anything or even came close to winning.  The Broncos had that one great year with Jake the Snake as QB, but other than that, they were a losing team.  

The Redskins. We know their history.

That's who makes these kinds of trades.   Teams who don't win on either side.

If that was the attitude of all GM's no one would ever get a 1st round pick in a trade!

I agree.  Some Gms and coaches give away the farm for players.   Maybe some team will think that highly of Revis and trade away the farm.  Who knows.   Right now teams seem to be trading away draft picks for WRs.    

Would Revis make the 49ers, Seahawks, Falcons, Broncos better?  Of course.   But all those teams can win a super bowl without Revis. Some already came close.  And even with Revis, the Broncos young CB gets burned while Revis shuts down the other WR.  That's the problem with Revis and his value.  None of those teams need him to win.  

And the Seahawks already gave away the farm for Harvin. The 49ers only gave up a 6th round pick for a WR who was far more valuable in winning a super bowl then Revis ever has been.   How many super bowls has Revis been in?    

Boldin's already been in two and just had 100+ receiving yards and a TD in a super bowl.

THe Falcons... Maybe.. I don't know.    The Broncos?  They have to cut Bailey and others to sign Revis.  The best trade for the Jets would be to send Revis to some bad team who will give up a ton of picks for him.    Revis's value to a team is far less than Jets fans value of him.   

He's a CB who can help a team win.   He's not a player any of the winning teams actually need to win though.

I agree.  Some Gms and coaches give away the farm for players.   Maybe some team will think that highly of Revis and trade away the farm.  Who knows.   Right now teams seem to be trading away draft picks for WRs.    

Would Revis make the 49ers, Seahawks, Falcons, Broncos better?  Of course.   But all those teams can win a super bowl without Revis. Some already came close.  And even with Revis, the Broncos young CB gets burned while Revis shuts down the other WR.  That's the problem with Revis and his value.  None of those teams need him to win.  

And the Seahawks already gave away the farm for Harvin. The 49ers only gave up a 6th round pick for a WR who was far more valuable in winning a super bowl then Revis ever has been.   How many super bowls has Revis been in?    

Boldin's already been in two and just had 100+ receiving yards and a TD in a super bowl.

THe Falcons... Maybe.. I don't know.    The Broncos?  They have to cut Bailey and others to sign Revis.  The best trade for the Jets would be to send Revis to some bad team who will give up a ton of picks for him.    Revis's value to a team is far less than Jets fans value of him.   

He's a CB who can help a team win.   He's not a player any of the winning teams actually need to win though.

I hear there is a bidding war from reliable sources(threads at JN).

If that is really the case then any smart GM would come out of it holding some premium picks. Let's see whether Idzik is smart!

I hear there is a bidding war from reliable sources(threads at JN).

If that is really the case then any smart GM would come out of it holding some premium picks. Let's see whether Idzik is smart!

It would be great if the Jets GM fleeced some other team.  Revis for a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and a 1st next year..

I doubt he goes the rest of his career without holding out on said less-than-16 mil-a-year contract. Because, Flacco.

He definitely will have an bigger impact on a team that doesn't have an Antonio Cromartie or Rex Ryan coaching. No one doubts that.

Yeah, yeah Cromartie is pretty much Revis. That's the new sell this offseason. Yet another thing I don't buy.

Btw the two wins answer was made up. I figured I would try something different and make up a number with full confidence. I'm going to keep repeating it THO because it's as legitimate as 16.

Also his years to max out his pay are very, very finite. The Jets will be able to be cheap and coy on plenty of other players not nearly as good.

Yeah, yeah Cromartie is pretty much Revis. That's the new sell this offseason. Yet another thing I don't buy.

Btw the two wins answer was made up. I figured I would try something different and make up a number with full confidence. I'm going to keep repeating it THO because it's as legitimate as 16.

Also his years to max out his pay are very, very finite. The Jets will be able to be cheap and coy on plenty of other players not nearly as good.

Cromartie is one of a handful of really good CB's in the league. He's not Revis, no. But Revis will have a greater impact in a secondary populated by nobodies was my point.

I have been told numerous times by brilliant minds on this site that the Jets had the #2 pass defense in the league last year. Rex Ryan willed it this way through masterful motivation. 

What more do we need? This team was excellent without Revis, we just needed a mediocre qb to make the SB run.

Archived