Per Schefter: Jets cutting Pouha

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

More cuts and more players on market: Jets releasing Sione Pouha.

I liked what Ellis showed, but we'll need another DT/NT now depending on the defense.  Could this be medical or is it strictly financial?

I think it's a combination of both age/health and money.  Ellis certainly cannot be counted on to handle that role all by himself.  He's looked good at times, but is still a bit of a question mark and has some health concerns.  Makes you wonder if the Jets see themselves close to a new contract with DeVito.

RichCimini Rich Cimini
Po'uha was to count $6.2 M on cap. #Jets will get hit with $2.33M. Savings: $3.8M. Back trouble, age big factors. They lose a class act.

Pouha, when healthy, was a good player for the Jets, but BG and Cimini point to the truth-health and age are a killer in the NFL.  The Jets had to cut him.  In a rebuilding situation, a team can't afford to keep an older, injured player, especially one making $6m. 

They all suck. Remember?

One admittedly it doesn't suck, he just doesn't make an impact. Great player, but not an impact player. See what I'm saying? I know he's a great player, probably a HOFer in his prime and the best ever at his position, but is that an IMPACT player? Is that worth my friend Woody's money? Revis is a thief in the night, operating in shadows and guerrillaing my friend Woody, and it's just not right. Mr. Johnson should have good boys working for him who will take what they get and know they can be dropped when hinting at being finished. Someone just has to calm him down and show him what's what. Nobody steals from my friend the Jets and my friend the owner Woody Johnson.

Is that the smell of rebuilding on your breath?

I dont believe I ever argued against that the Jets are rebuilding.  Its clearly obvious.  That said, it doesnt mean they cant be competitive if they find the right replacements for these starters. 

The only players on your list that will be tough to find an equivalent replacement are Revis and Landry.   The rest really shouldnt be difficult to replace this season.

I dont believe I ever argued against that the Jets are rebuilding. Its clearly obvious. That said, it doesnt mean they cant be competitive if they find the right replacements for these starters.

The only players on your list that will be tough to find an equivalent replacement are Revis and Landry. The rest really shouldnt be difficult to replace this season.

They're going to replace 8-9 starters with no cap space, integrate them into a new system, and compete? C'mon son.

Teams turnover their roster all the time. The Jets have been doing it for 2 years already and are good to go again next offseason just by cutting the worst contracts left.

This, I agree with.

I do not believe in "rebuilding" as a "throw away the year" initiative. Only a stupid ass fan would accept that sh*t in this day and age too. Teams turnover their rosters annually, some with more need than others, in order to win NOW. Teams regularly make huge turn-arounds in one off-season of turnover.

The problem with perception here is the Jets specifically don't do it, or haven't done it.

Hell we sat and waited for Mangini to turnover Herm's defense for 3-4 seasons. Jet fans, being stupid, accepted that pace. That was disgraceful, imo.

Any schmuck fan that believes a rebuild takes multiple years and comes at the cost of throwing away a year deserves to be miserable.

This, I agree with.

I do not believe in "rebuilding" as a "throw away the year" initiative. Only a stupid ass fan would accept that sh*t in this day and age too. Teams turnover their rosters annually, some with more need than others, in order to win NOW. Teams regularly make huge turn-arounds in one off-season of turnover.

The problem with perception here is the Jets specifically don't do it, or haven't done it.

Hell we sat and waited for Mangini to turnover Herm's defense for 3-4 seasons. Jet fans, being stupid, accepted that pace. That was disgraceful, imo.

Any schmuck fan that believes a rebuild takes multiple years and comes at the cost of throwing away a year deserves to be miserable.

Lots of bad contracts and/or dead cap money, no competent QB, and minimal young talent. 

Yeah, Idzik should definitely be expected to put a championship-caliber team on the field this season.

So what do you guys think...9-7 next year? Rex gets a 5-year extension?

Something along those lines, sure. The D has a very high ceiling if FA and the draft can go well. The OC, a really good one, just has to do what JN says good OCs do and sprinkle design, plan, and call pixie dust.

Lots of bad contracts and/or dead cap money, no competent QB, and minimal young talent. 

Yeah, Idzik should definitely be expected to put a championship-caliber team on the field this season.

How can you talk about our "minimal young talent" when you have yet to see the 7 or more that will be drafted in a month? 

Or who will be added via FA...  or what the Revis trade ultimately looks like.

I understand you have a reputation to uphold but when you complain before you know what a 1/3rd of the team will look like it's kind of silly..  no?

This, I agree with.

If absolutely everything breaks right for the Jets--Garrard goes 24/10, Bilal Powell is a 1,200 yard back, Holmes and Hill combine for 15 TDs, and the scoring defense is top 10--then you'll be correct. No one is advocating throwing away a year. But, in all likelihood, given the situation we're in, 8-8 is an extremely optimistic bet. Hardly "throwing away" anything.

How can you talk about our "minimal young talent" when you have yet to see the 7 or more that will be drafted in a month? 

Or who will be added via FA...  or what the Revis trade ultimately looks like.

I understand you have a reputation to uphold but when you complain before you know what a 1/3rd of the team will look like it's kind of silly..  no?

I'm not complaining.  I'm just pragmatic enough to not expect the team to be any good this season but, contrary to popular opinion, would love to be proven wrong.

Archived