Is this all a prelude to tanking it for Clowney?

Bugg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know where we are going here.  My point was, tanking for a high pick in general is stupid and tanking for an underclassmen is even more stupid and the best players in the country are underclassmen next year, so it makes the idea of tanking this season for a high pick which looks like it might be an underclassmen super stupid.

I thought you were saying that a lot of underclassmen are coming out next year.  That would be back-to-back such years.  Pretty soon, college teams are going to be comprised of only Sophmores and Freshman. 

Johnny Football strikes me as a four-year player.  He won the darn thing as a Freshman, and he's living the best years of his life; on top of the world at that.  Why would he leave early for the NFL?

his family has another perspective

No great secret here. Idzik may be crazy like a fox. 2-14 may be the idea. Discuss-

1357141608eon_Clowney.jpg

I once heard that Max tanked the site early-on to get me to feel pity for him and come over here.  As a precursor to Indy's suck for Luck, years prior to that Max was incorporating suck for sperm.  And Max gets what he wants.  If he sucks enough.

Who knows what the kid will decide when the time comes.  There have been plenty of players who were graduating early, won awards, won or came close to winning championships, and had no reason to stay in college.  Didn't Leinart take like 1 'performing arts' class his 5th year of college.  

He might just decide to stick around another year. Or he might look at the teams picking 1 or 2 and figure, i don't want to play for them, I'll go back for another year in college.   You never know.    He's a kid.   The assumption is he's heading to the NFL.  But there are plenty of stories were some kid was going to be the #1 or #2  pick and went back to college.     You don't tank in hopes he might come out.

I'm not in favor of tanking for anyone...but Johnny Football comes out in 2014...book it.

He's a 6' Vince Young. 

There isn't? Even if true, the experience will do him good.

Not all award winning college QBs are the best pro QBs. Where is Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, the Oklahoma QB that won the Heisman...so on...

You obviously don't understand the difference between Drew Brees and Vince Young.

I know I have a mancrush on Bridgewater but the guy is going to be awesome. He has all the skills and his makeup is just off the charts. Manziel is NOT drew brees. their games are completely different.

The comparison to Brees relates to his height...his game is different...but to suggest as another did that he's a short Vince Young misses everything...he's a student of the game and a tremendous competitor...he'll be arguably the best player to come out of the 2014 NFL draft.

The comparison to Brees relates to his height...his game is different...but to suggest as another did that he's a short Vince Young misses everything...he's a student of the game and a tremendous competitor...he'll be arguably the best player to come out of the 2014 NFL draft.

He doesn't have the arm. The size is also a big durability issue. 

That's the beauty of being the King on campus.  I dunno, I could be wrong, I just see the celebrity of a college campus as being enough to hold one over until graduating. 

yea i guess. I guess it depends on what he likes more. Being an nfl player high pick must be pretty cool but i can see how being king of his school would be awesome

You obviously don't understand the difference between Drew Brees and Vince Young.

Vince Young was thought to have 'IT'    remember the year he beat USC in the championship game.   He had tons of tangibles, tons of talent.

And he was king of Texas for a few years.    And while he wasn't a great NFL QB, he won a lot of games the first few seasons. And then it happened.  Struggles.  Something Young couldn't handle at all.  Depression. Boos. etc.  Out of football.

Johnny Football is in a similar position. He's what, a 19 year old kid who is worshipped.  He already trademarked the damn name or his 'family' did. WHen something doesn't go right, hows the kid react?    Nobody knows that.

Vince Young was thought to have 'IT'    remember the year he beat USC in the championship game.   He had tons of tangibles, tons of talent.

And he was king of Texas for a few years.    And while he wasn't a great NFL QB, he won a lot of games the first few seasons. And then it happened.  Struggles.  Something Young couldn't handle at all.  Depression. Boos. etc.  Out of football.

Johnny Football is in a similar position. He's what, a 19 year old kid who is worshipped.  He already trademarked the damn name or his 'family' did. WHen something doesn't go right, hows the kid react?    Nobody knows that.

The wonderlic scores were one cautionary measurement on the Vince Young Story...doubt Johnny has that issue...but the maturity issues is valid...same case could be made against Teddy Bridgewater or any other 19-20 year old college QB.

Right but you can't use him as an example. For every Russell Wilson there are 20 QB's with that profile who never have NFL success.

Really?

OK...too lazy to research the many QBs who had high intangibles who found success in the NFL despite lacking the measurables ..don't even want to waste my time listing all the QBs with the measurables but lacked the football intelligence, work ethic, character to succeed in the NFL.

Really?

OK...too lazy to research the many QBs who had high intangibles who found success in the NFL despite lacking the measurables ..don't even want to waste my time listing all the QBs with the measurables but lacked the football intelligence, work ethic, character to succeed in the NFL.

Sure, if that was the case with Birdgewater, you'd have a point. But his intangibles are off the chart. 

I think the discussion between Manziel and Bridgewater has legs...should be a decade or so conversation...

Or it could be like the 1999 QB class.   Besides Mcnabb, who was a bit overrated himself,  it was one of those gone in a few seasons kind of drafts.

Or it could be like the 1999 QB class.   Besides Mcnabb, who was a bit overrated himself,  it was one of those gone in a few seasons kind of drafts.

1999 draft was all about Ricky...the QBs were all reaches by teams desperate for a QB.  Always that possibility...we'll see...

Drew Brees can pass. Drew Brees was a senior who started for three years before he left school. Drew Brees wasn't annointed as the next big thing at QB. Drew Brees sucked for 5 years before blowing up. Drew Brees is short. Drew Brees played for a non-impact in the CFB world. 

Drew Brees can pass. Drew Brees was a senior who started for three years before he left school. Drew Brees wasn't annointed as the next big thing at QB. Drew Brees sucked for 5 years before blowing up. Drew Brees is short. Drew Brees played for a non-impact in the CFB world. 

This I sort of agree with.  Brees didn't suck for 5 years,  in his 3rd season he passed for 27 TDs and only had 7 INTs. He helped the Chargers win a division.   And he only did that in 2004 because Rivers held out.  Otherwise Rivers would've been  anointed the new QB.  

But the 'wasn't worshiped' is the true part.   What does Johnny Football do when nobody cares about him for the most part.   He will get the hype and glory, but if the Jets draft him and they wind up 4-12 with him....  How does he react?

He's a 6' Vince Young. 

There isn't? Even if true, the experience will do him good.

Not all award winning college QBs are the best pro QBs. Where is Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, the Oklahoma QB that won the Heisman...so on...

Uh...yeah...way to answer the mail...and how exactly does Johnny resemble Vince Young?

i pray we go 1-15 (or whatever it takes to get the #1 pick)

and knowing the Jets luck this kid will declare for a senior season and we end up with the #1 draftpick the year later :D

TEBOW FOR STARTER!!   TRADE REVIS FOR A 5TH ROUND PICK SINCE WE'D BLOW A 1ST ROUNDER ANYWAY

You mean his folks would rather him go to the NFL as a Sophmore, and forego his education?

link please. 

Here is several links...you may have to read them...the short story...the kid's family has money...his family bought him a Mercedes as as a High School graduation gift...he graduated high school early (Dec 2010) for the main purpose to meet the NFL's rule about years removed from high school graduation...he's smart and his family is already involved with several lawsuits to protect his trademark...the kid lives to play football...he's proved enough already no matter what happens this upcoming college season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Manziel-won-t-play-for-free-much-longer-4303586.php http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Aggies-Insider-A-M-preparing-for-life-after-4280623.php http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094155/article/texas-ams-johnny-manziel-is-the-quarterback-of-the-future http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130307/johnny-manziel-texas-am-celebrity/

Archived