Is this all a prelude to tanking it for Clowney?

Bugg

I did, thanks.  No need to be a jerk about it.  Of the five links you provided, two of them were the same article, one is no longer available, and one is a Bucky Brooks fluff piece about how gifted he is.  But I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

You're obviously an Aggie fan, or much more in tune with college back stories than I am, because I'm knee deep in free agency rumors, and 2013 draft stuff...Either way, my hat is off to you.

For those who don't want to read all of the links (each, thoughtfully provided by Jetscode1 in their very own post for some reason), allow me to paraphrase:

Johnny Manziel is an extremely gifted football player despite his obvious height limitations (he's listed generously at 6'1, 200).  His QB strengths include an incredible accuracy, mobility, and poise.  He leads his recievers with touch, throwing a catchable ball to where only his receiver can get it...and often throws right on the money. He is the next in line of new-age mobile QBs, being a legitimate dual threat with his feet.  In fact he had an impressive string of 100 yd running games. And, he doesn't fold in the big games, but actually seems to play better in them.  Take his beating Alabama in their house.  All of this combined with his incredible TD:INT ratio, passing yards, and rushing stats led him to be the first red-shirt freshman Heisman trophy winner.    

Unlike a lot of prospects, Johnny comes from a very affluent family, and is almost embarrassed driving his new Mercedes around town...his father who works for a car dealership had no problem gifting him a new one recently.  His first Mercedes, a high school graduation gift didn't seem fitting after his recent successes.  This combined with his flair for celebrity (he wears a jacket that has a heisman trophy logo on the sleeve), certainly paints a picture of a young man ready for the big lights in Hollywood.  But hold your horses,

Because of the added attention he's recently received, Manziel opted to start taking his classes online.  Why you ask?  because the flurry of attention (autograph requests, and congrats) would add thirty minutes to each classroom commute.  After his busy Fall, he decided to dedicate Spring to his classwork, and limit his constant parade of fans. 

Manziel is so interested in completing his education, in fact, that he actually left high school a year early with college credits, which will enable him to graduate at the end of his Sophmore season; technically his third year of college.  In the meantime, Johnny has hired someone to coach him on his new status, as he can no longer, tweet, post, or share on Facebook the way he used to...and he is now as much a part of the ESPN world as he is TMZ.  He is learning that success requires as much coaching as does football.  A lesson that hopefully ensures him a long, successful career, playing the game he loves on Sundays.  

Didn't mean to come across as a jerk...my apologies you took it that way...common story line in the papers down here and the local radio sport shows is he's gone after 2013...I know many Aggie fans don't want to hear it...but that's the skinny.

I know I'm in the minority as to his pro prospects...just a fun player to watch...I'm sold on him...others obviously have another perspective...time will tell if he's mature enough...or can handle the success...I'm no expert but he looks like the real deal.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't mean to come across as a jerk...my apologies you took it that way...common story line in the papers down here and the local radio sport shows is he's gone after 2013...I know many Aggie fans don't want to hear it...but that's the skinny.

I know I'm in the minority as to his pro prospects...just a fun player to watch...I'm sold on him...others obviously have another perspective...time will tell if he's mature enough...or can handle the success...I'm no expert but he looks like the real deal.

I think the question will really boil down to the feedback he gets after playing next year.  

Eligible players are watched under a microscope and I have a feeling we're going to hear a lot more about his limitations next year, than the feel-good story about the amazing lil engine that could.  Another factor to consider will be how he reacts to defenses that will now have an entire season of film to examine and game-plan for.  For example, toward the end of the season...and the Super Bowl in particular, Kapearnick was game-planned for by attributing an entire player to play the part of spy...How many times did CK get tackled after handing the ball off? Sure you'll get a flag thrown...sometimes...but those constant hits can take a toll on a QBs ability.  Especially so at 6'1, 200.

Is Manziel only effective as a dual-threat player?  Will taking his feet away diminish his passing game?  I don't know, but these are questions that are going to be looked at before he gets his draft grade.  

Being from an affluent family, and having the passion for football that he has, I still wouldn't discount the possibility of him staying another year. If anything else, to develop more size/strength and to add a third year of collegiate experience to his resume before taking his talent to Sundays.  I get the feeling from the articles that he will make the right decision for him, and that he'll succeed in the league...but as for his decision to stay/leave, right now I'd have that at a coin flip. 

I think the question will really boil down to the feedback he gets after playing next year.  

Eligible players are watched under a microscope and I have a feeling we're going to hear a lot more about his limitations next year, than the feel-good story about the amazing lil engine that could.  Another factor to consider will be how he reacts to defenses that will now have an entire season of film to examine and game-plan for.  For example, toward the end of the season...and the Super Bowl in particular, Kapearnick was game-planned for by attributing an entire player to play the part of spy...How many times did CK get tackled after handing the ball off? Sure you'll get a flag thrown...sometimes...but those constant hits can take a toll on a QBs ability.  Especially so at 6'1, 200.

Is Manziel only effective as a dual-threat player?  Will taking his feet away diminish his passing game?  I don't know, but these are questions that are going to be looked at before he gets his draft grade.  

Being from an affluent family, and having the passion for football that he has, I still wouldn't discount the possibility of him staying another year. If anything else, to develop more size/strength and to add a third year of collegiate experience to his resume before taking his talent to Sundays.  I get the feeling from the articles that he will make the right decision for him, and that he'll succeed in the league...but as for his decision to stay/leave, right now I'd have that at a coin flip. 

A&M does not run the zone read.  Most of his rushing yards come from designed runs or scrambles.  That said, Manziel takes punishment well.  He is a tough kid.  Not saying he won't ever get hurt, but he is extremely elusive (obviously), and he pops right back up after big hits.

A&M does not run the zone read.  Most of his rushing yards come from designed runs or scrambles.  That said, Manziel takes punishment well.  He is a tough kid.  Not saying he won't ever get hurt, but he is extremely elusive (obviously), and he pops right back up after big hits.

hmm. That's actually a great point to consider, and from the article I looked at, it appears that they run an Kliff Kingsbury taught 'Air Raid' offense or at least, will be this year.  But, I thought I read somewhere that Kingsbury is a new addition to the team, and that Johnny's old OC moved on to greener pastures.  Is Kliff bringing a new offense to the team?  and if so, I can't recall the last successful 'Air Raid' disciple to effectively transition to the NFL.  Can you bring any light to this?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/23/4021324/mike-mccarthy-read-option-texas-am-football

hmm. That's actually a great point to consider, and from the article I looked at, it appears that they run an Kliff Kingsbury taught 'Air Raid' offense or at least, will be this year.  But, I thought I read somewhere that Kingsbury is a new addition to the team, and that Johnny's old OC moved on to greener pastures.  Is Kliff bringing a new offense to the team?  and if so, I can't recall the last successful 'Air Raid' disciple to effectively transition to the NFL.  Can you bring any light to this?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/23/4021324/mike-mccarthy-read-option-texas-am-football

Kingsbury was the OC last year.  He is now the head coach at Texas Tech (his alma mater).  The offense is Sumlin's system, which is a derivative of the OU system (same one Mike Leach took to Texas Tech when Kingsbury was QB).

Last year, A&M never expected to have so many rushing yards from the QB, but JFF showed up and they would have been foolish not to have some designed runs for him.  This system is designed to spread the D and throw the ball all over the yard, only turning to the run game when the D commits to many players to the pass.  As such, Manziel gets his running opportunities from scrambles and designed run plays.  They do not really run many plays where he is reading the DE to decide if he should hand off or keep the ball, which is what the 49ers, Redskins, and the Seahawks to a degree are doing. 

Kingsbury was the OC last year.  He is now the head coach at Texas Tech (his alma mater).  The offense is Sumlin's system, which is a derivative of the OU system (same one Mike Leach took to Texas Tech when Kingsbury was QB).

Last year, A&M never expected to have so many rushing yards from the QB, but JFF showed up and they would have been foolish not to have some designed runs for him.  This system is designed to spread the D and throw the ball all over the yard, only turning to the run game when the D commits to many players to the pass.  As such, Manziel gets his running opportunities from scrambles and designed run plays.  They do not really run many plays where he is reading the DE to decide if he should hand off or keep the ball, which is what the 49ers, Redskins, and the Seahawks to a degree are doing. 

Thanks.

I know Texas Tech has a reputation for having bloated passing stats because of the system they run.  It seems like every QB they have sets the new passing record...but that it rarely translates to success in the league.  It's obvious that Johnny has a LOT more going for him than say, Graham Harrell or Kliff Kingsbury.  I'd like to see him run more of a drop-back offense than a shotgun spread, to really get a feel for what his learning curve will be. 

Can you weigh in on Christine Michael, and then head over to the Goodson thread and chime in there.  We could use some Aggie insight ;)  

Thanks.

I know Texas Tech has a reputation for having bloated passing stats because of the system they run.  It seems like every QB they have sets the new passing record...but that it rarely translates to success in the league.  It's obvious that Johnny has a LOT more going for him than say, Graham Harrell or Kliff Kingsbury.  I'd like to see him run more of a drop-back offense than a shotgun spread, to really get a feel for what his learning curve will be. 

Can you weigh in on Christine Michael, and then head over to the Goodson thread and chime in there.  We could use some Aggie insight ;)

Haha, just commented on Goodson.  Solid addition.

DO NOT WANT Christine Michael.  Kid could be a stud, but his head is not in it.  He could have been the top RB in the draft this year, but he planted himself in Sumlin's doghouse from day one.  Complete head case.  Tweeting from the sidelines with complaints about lack of playing time, late for meetings, snide comments, etc.  During the combine, he further solidified that he has issues by missing interviews. 

Archived