Why Darrelle Revis Will Not Be Traded

JetNation

So why isn't anyone beating that? And if that lowly # is all that's been leaked (true or not), why isn't Idzik's office being flooded with calls from every team?

And he didn't last comment on it 3 years ago.  He directly (or indirectly through leaks) commented on it last year this time when he didn't want to show up to camp.  And I don't have any articles handy but think he alluded to it again when Super Mario got that idiotic deal from Buffalo.  

The only thing he wanted less than showing up to camp that was to stay locked into the 7-year deal without the ability to void it after 4. 

So basically he wanted the same thing an NFL team would want...to be able to duck out early on a contract that displeased him. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. For every Revis there are dozens and dozens and Bart Scotts, guy who have to be good, grateful boys to get in the vicinity of their total contract value. 

Bold: How do you know that they aren't? Why would any of us be privy to this information? Future 2 that might be a future 1 and a 4 is hardly a large offer. It's entirely possible that offer has been beat and is still not what the Jets want.

Indirectly

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All you're saying is that this could have happened last year instead of this year before the ACL injury from my angle. Revis knew that poison pill was in there when he signed. He answered the reporters questions. Those answers become lines in the soap opera. 

What the hell does that mean?

If he wanted to show up no matter what he'd have said "of course" he was going to show up like every other player if they were asked.  Lines in a soap opera, lol.

He wanted to hold out.  Tannenbaum prevented it from happening.  Wouldn't surprise me if MT alluded to redoing the deal after 2 years when it was being drawn up and then after 2 years when he wanted it torn up he told Revis's agents to sit on a morning star club.

So basically he wanted the same thing an NFL team would want...to be able to duck out early on a contract that displeased him. 

Bold: How do you know that they aren't? Why would any of us be privy to this information? Future 2 that might be a future 1 and a 4 is hardly a large offer. It's entirely possible that offer has been beat and is still not what the Jets want.

Indirectly, otherwise I'm sure you have have provided me with the quote by now. 

Enough with the silliness.  If dozens of teams were calling up about Revis it wouldn't be kept quiet except for just Tampa Bay. How do you know? How do you know?

How do you know the Jets aren't making trade offers for Aaron Rodgers?

How do you know Seattle doesn't secretly want Mark Sanchez?

For that matter, how do you know that the Jets haven't accepted two offers already and Revis made ludicrous demands that killed the deals?

And the leaked offer - or at least as I remember it - was a #2 in 2013 and a conditional #4 in 2014 that can turn into a #1 if Revis is still Revis.

They probably have, many times. Doesn't mean the GM has to say yes. 

They have a QB that can do the job. Maybe in a year if Wilson bombs and Sanchez is cut they sign him. That is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

For that matter, how do you know that the Jets haven't accepted two offers already and Revis made ludicrous demands that killed the deals?

Don't, though I'm sure a story that made Revis look that bad would make some kind of round. I'd be willing to bet those accepted offers were for more than a future 2nd and a 4th if there was a way to find out. 

Enough with the silliness.  If dozens of teams were calling up about Revis it wouldn't be kept quiet except for just Tampa Bay. How do you know? How do you know?

And the leaked offer - or at least as I remember it - was a #2 in 2013 and a conditional #4 in 2014 that can turn into a #1 if Revis is still Revis.

If there were other teams involved, you could be sure that the Jets would be "leaking" that. They WANT that to happen, as if there is appearance of a stampede.

The same way an agent does it with a player.

Hiding interest does nothing for the Jets.  It does nothing for Revis.  

Leaking that 20 teams are interested in Revis gets them a better offer and a bidding war.

And there were some rumors a few weeks back until all those teams came back with, "out of the running."   

It's nice to think Idzik is cleaning ship and keeping things quiet.  But if the Bucs think they are the only team offering anything to the Jets for Revis,  how does that help the Jets in getting a better offer?   It doesn't.

If there were other teams involved, you could be sure that the Jets would be "leaking" that. They WANT that to happen, as if there is appearance of a stampede.

The same way an agent does it with a player.

How do you know?

Hiding interest does nothing for the Jets.  It does nothing for Revis.  

Leaking that 20 teams are interested in Revis gets them a better offer and a bidding war.

And there were some rumors a few weeks back until all those teams came back with, "out of the running."   

It's nice to think Idzik is cleaning ship and keeping things quiet.  But if the Bucs think they are the only team offering anything to the Jets for Revis,  how does that help the Jets in getting a better offer?   It doesn't.

How do you know?

How do you know?

How do you know?

We don't know, but Idzik is an idiot if he's getting multiple offers and keeping it quiet.  Nobody gets into a bidding war if they don't think anybody else is involved.  Why would they?   Right now it seems the Bucs and Jets are battling it out over draft picks.   If, say the Falcons, swooped in and made a better offer,  it would only help the Jets to leak some rumors. Bucs might come back with a better offer because they sure as hell don't want Revis going to Atlanta.  And vice versa.    

You really only stay quiet if you already know a deal is done, or you have nobody interested.  It doesn't help the jets or Revis to remain quiet in this situation.  It only helps the Bucs.

We don't know, but Idzik is an idiot if he's getting multiple offers and keeping it quiet.  Nobody gets into a bidding war if they don't think anybody else is involved.  Why would they?   Right now it seems the Bucs and Jets are battling it out over draft picks.   If, say the Falcons, swooped in and made a better offer,  it would only help the Jets to leak some rumors. Bucs might come back with a better offer because they sure as hell don't want Revis going to Atlanta.  And vice versa.    

You really only stay quiet if you already know a deal is done, or you have nobody interested.  It doesn't help the jets or Revis to remain quiet in this situation.  It only helps the Bucs.

Figured you and Scott would both pick up on my sarcasm.

Does it, or does it just make public something that every FO would be well aware of? 

Not every team communicates with every other team.  Some might, some don't.   I'm sure the Bucs and Jets are talking partially because the two GMs once worked together years ago.   Networking. Easier to have a conversation.   Who calls up a random person they don't know and says, "hey you know so and so is on the block for a first and a third."  I doubt it.     FOs are like any other place.  You talk to those you know, you talk to those you want to do business with, you only talk to those other people when you have to.  Nothing new about that concept.

Everybody seems to know Revis is available.  Nobody knows if the Vikings are making an offer thats better than the Bucs.    And why would the Bucs and Vikings share that knowledge   Smart GMs want to give as little as possible   And Smart GMs on the Jets side would want as much as possible.   So it only helps them if there is some kind of bidding war.       

Figured you and Scott would both pick up on my sarcasm.

*chuckles* 

I see no reason for Idzik to make this a public event. The situation is pretty much exactly where they want it - the only stuff coming out are stuff that makes Revis look bad (including that future 2nd+4th offer - the only one we got to hear about). 

Right now the only rumor or leak is that the Bucs are ok with Revis's salary demands,  and
they have supposedly offered a 2nd this year and a conditional 4th next year.    

And remember half these 'reporters'  have connections who leak the damn stuff.   So when something comes up, they call that so and so reporter who isn't really a reporter, but kisses ass and gets all the scoops,  and tweets something about it.    Or they don't.    At this point,  the Falcons can come in and say, they'll give the Jets a 2nd this year, a 5th this year,  a 2nd next year, and a 3rd next year.   And it's a better offer. Not by much, but still better.    And if that's the case and the Jets want somebody else to make an offer,   they leak it.

I mean if you go on Ebay and try to bid on something and the 'highest' bidder is 100 bucks for an item that is soon to be expired,   why would you go in an bid $1000?   And Ebay has ways to where you won't pay $1000 if the highest other bid besides yours was only $100.  You'd pay $101.  

With the NFL,  a team sees what the Bucs offered, doesn't hear many other chirps,  and isn't going to offer much more than that. Unless they are stupid.

Not every team communicates with every other team.  Some might, some don't.  

Hardly out there to believe every team relevant to the Revis conversation is well aware of the situation. A player like Revis even being available would be something most teams will find a way to get a beat on. 

Right now the only rumor or leak is that the Bucs are ok with Revis's salary demands,  and

they have supposedly offered a 2nd this year and a conditional 4th next year.    

Filed under rumor, though I'm sure a rumor and leak can meet. In that case, they talked to the Bucs and chose to make that offer the one that gets out. Shockingly it's a low compensation one that kinda says what you guys say it is - nobody wants to pay up. If nobody wants to pay up then the logical choice, which was always the best choice anyway, is to extend him. 

So it only helps them if there is some kind of bidding war.    

You don't have to do much to create a bidding war over a prime aged elite player who significantly impacts the modern passing game despite these cornball, don't hurt the offense rules. 

*chuckles* 

I see no reason for Idzik to make this a public event. The situation is pretty much exactly where they want it - the only stuff coming out are stuff that makes Revis look bad (including that future 2nd+4th offer - the only one we got to hear about). 

It doesn't make Revis look bad.  He's coming off an injury.  He's a free agent demanding top dollar after the season.    For him, worse case scenario he comes back, plays well, and is a free agent after the season to go to whomever he wants.   And just like somebody paid Mario Williams a huge contract, somebody will pay Revis that money.  Especially if he shows he's healthy.       the only people who would look bad at that point would be the Jets because they got nothing for him.

The Chargers should have traded Drew Brees long before his injury and his free agency.   AJ Smith knew he was going with Rivers.  Instead they got nothing for him.   Was it a smart move? Who knows. Rivers was a pro bowl QB.  The dumb decision was to let Brees go for nothing.  

The Jets don't trade Revis by the Draft, it's very unlikely they will be able to trade him at all.  No team is going to offer a ton of picks come October.

Hardly out there to believe every team relevant to the Revis conversation is well aware of the situation. A player like Revis even being available would be something most teams will find a way to get a beat on. 

Filed under rumor, though I'm sure a rumor and leak can meet. In that case, they talked to the Bucs and chose to make that offer the one that gets out. Shockingly it's a low compensation one that kinda says what you guys say it is - nobody wants to pay up. If nobody wants to pay up then the logical choice, which was always the best choice anyway, is to extend him. 

I'm sure every team knows whats going on,  but how many teams are on the phones with Jets people all the time if they aren't even in the running for the guy?    The Jets were never involved in the Alex Smith conversation, so do you really think they cared to follow what was offered for him?

You don't have to do much to create a bidding war over a prime aged elite player. 

You forget one huge problem here.   Woody Johnson doesn't seem to thrilled to extend Revis.     If the Jets wanted to extend Revis,  there would be no trade talks.  He'd already be signed to a long term deal.  Instead they've barely spoken to him.   Revis gave an interview saying things came from the top.  Revis has said he's shocked, surprised, wanted to stay a Jet.     A team who wants to extend its star player,  never gets to this point.

You can say it's easier now seeing teams not interested, but like I said, somebody will pay Revis his money.   And thats probably what he believes.

he comes back healthy, proves the Jets were wrong, and bolts.    Just like Mario Williams.  Just like Wes Welker.  Just like many players have done over the years.

It would have been far easier to extend Revis to a more fair contract now, than it will be after the season when he's a free agent.   Look at Flacco.   He rejected a deal he thought was unfair. And they made an offer.  He waited, and cashed in.  

And after AP's recovery, most NFL players are going to think they can do the same thing.

I'm sure every team knows whats going on,  but how many teams are on the phones with Jets people all the time if they aren't even in the running for the guy?    The Jets were never involved in the Alex Smith conversation, so do you really think they cared to follow what was offered for him?

Irrelevant. If they're not looking to acquire him then their presence doesn't matter. It's really very hard to buy that the Bucs are the only team to come up with an offer so far.

Woody Johnson doesn't seem to thrilled to extend Revis.  

Doesn't seem against it either. No one is happy to spend large amounts of money, and I'm sure having a non-neutered elite looking to be paid is a thorn in any owner's backside.

If the Jets wanted to extend Revis,  there would be no trade talks.  

Not true at all.

He'd already be signed to a long term deal.

Again, not true at all.

Instead they've barely spoken to him.

Most likely very not true, but I understand that the combine "incident" can be weighed heavily as that counts as news right now.

Revis gave an interview saying things came from the top.  Revis has said he's shocked, surprised, wanted to stay a Jet.     A team who wants to extend its star player,  never gets to this point.

Teams hesitating to pay up while a player looks to be paid is hardly a new situation. This is almost SOP if you factor in the difference between negotiating with a player to play in NY vs negotiating with a player to play in...well say Tampa Bay. Of course it gets to hyperbolic levels.

You can say it's easier now seeing teams not interested, but like I said, somebody will pay Revis his money.   And thats probably what he believes.

he comes back healthy, proves the Jets were wrong, and bolts.    Just like Mario Williams.  Just like Wes Welker.  Just like many players have done over the years.

Wes Welker got 2/12 from the Broncos. Thats...wait for it...3.5 million less than he made with the Pats last year (9.5 or so). The Jets are one of the candidates, probably the favorite, to give Revis what he wants as they don't have to give up picks to get the opportunity to negotiate. 

*chuckles* 

How do you know that isn't the best offer we've received?

Irrelevant. If they're not looking to acquire him then their presence doesn't matter. It's really very hard to buy that the Bucs are the only team to come up with an offer so far.

It's not if you live outside of NY/NJ.  Many fans and teams don't think as highly as Revis as Jets fans.   They love him as a CB, would love him if he played for them,  but don't want to pay him.  Hell, there are certain teams fans who don't want to pay Revis $6 million this year, much less $16.   Stupid and I doubt GMs think the same way, but there have been plenty of GMs who said they wouldn't give up a first for Revis.  AKA why a lot of teams have said they aren't interested.   Teams like the 49ers and Broncos, teams who would probably benefit the most from Revis, teams who could just rent him for a year and win it all, have dropped out of the running.

And Elway just told a guy who had 11 Sacks last year to take a pay cut. A guy who makes $11-12 million per year.

There aren't many teams who can pay Revis or want to pay Revis what he wants.  And not everybody is sold he will be Revis after the injury.   For every AP, there are a hundred others who didn't come back the same.

For every AP coming back, there is a Derrick Rose.  

Different sport, different player, but he's missed an entire season and might not come back till next season.    

Jets fans are assuming Revis will be Revis.  Who knows what Revis assumes.   Who knows what the Bucs GM assumes.  

But there are plenty of fans, coaches, and FOs who aren't assuming he'll just come back like it was a broken thumb.

How do you know that isn't the best offer we've received?

Like I said, I don't. If it is then that's all the more reason to extend him. 

Many fans and teams don't think as highly as Revis as Jets fans.

Well fans are easy - they're just idiots (and I include myself there). Our opinion means sh*t.

Teams...well I highly doubt that claim.

Hell, there are certain teams fans who don't want to pay Revis $6 million this year, much less $16.  

Again, fans are pretty irrelevant when it comes to paying players. That those people feel that way is their thing, and it certainly doesn't make them right.You are right that it is stupid.

there have been plenty of GMs who said they wouldn't give up a first for Revis.

Those would be the plenty of GMs who don't land Revis.

And Elway just told a guy who had 11 Sacks last year to take a pay cut. A guy who makes $11-12 million per year.

Von Miller, like Revis, is a candidate for best defensive player in the league. Dumervil is short, 30, and not even the second best player on his D.

For every AP, there are a hundred others who didn't come back the same.

As a talent, Revis is much closer to Peterson than he is to some random name from the hundreds.

Like I said, I don't. If it is then that's all the more reason to extend him. 

I agree they should extend him and not kill the cap.  But if they wanted to extend him,  it wouldn't be where we are now.  He'd already be extended.

If Revis were in the Jets future plans, they would have at least talked to the guy.   

And they wouldn't 'leak' that they are listening to trade offers, not making trade offers.   

Imagine the Packers coming out and saying, "they are listening to trade offers for Aaron Rodgers."   Yeah right.

that's the difference.  The jets didn't laugh the Bucs out of the building.  They are interested. They are listening.  

If you think Revis is the star of the Jets, you don't listen.  You extend, resign, etc.  Instead they have a "looking for a better offer" kind of thing going on.

For every AP coming back, there is a Derrick Rose.  

Different sport, different player, but he's missed an entire season and might not come back till next season.    

Jets fans are assuming Revis will be Revis.  Who knows what Revis assumes.   Who knows what the Bucs GM assumes.  

But there are plenty of fans, coaches, and FOs who aren't assuming he'll just come back like it was a broken thumb.

Yet you insist that he will be going for some mega deal right? Maybe not. He knows just as well as everyone else does that it's a risk. Jets will extend him this season.

If Revis were in the Jets future plans, they would have at least talked to the guy.   

And they wouldn't 'leak' that they are listening to trade offers, not making trade offers.   

I'm not convinced that they are responsible for those stories in the first place. Who wrote them, Cimini and Mehta? How can you trust those two morons?

I'm not convinced that they are responsible for those stories in the first place. Who wrote them, Cimini and Mehta? How can you trust those two morons?

Revis tweeted that he hasn't spoken to the Jets, he was shocked, blah blah, he said the rumors come from the top.   And the Jets haven't exactly come back with "No Mr. Revis,  we are not trading you or entertaining the thought."   So when your star player Tweets that he's shocked and the team doesn't really reassure him,  that's all you really need to know.   No need for any reports. It came from Revis.

Like I said,  the jets just say they aren't searching for trades, but listening.      Imagine the Packers telling people they are listening to offers for Aaron Rodgers.    That's the difference.   The Jets haven't stood by Revis.   Rex tried to come to his defense, but everybody thinks Rex is on his way out and has nothing to say about anything.   The jets stay silent and the rumors spread and trade offers get thrown out like if it were a better offer, Revis would be in Tampa.    

I agree they should extend him and not kill the cap.  But if they wanted to extend him,  it wouldn't be where we are now.  He'd already be extended.

Again, not a true statement. There's plenty of time to extend him as he's still a Jet and under contract until next February or March. 

They haven't talked to him? 

Why not? It's a great way to build the perception that he's not vital and not worth it. Hell, it's working if I'm to go just by this board's reaction. What trade offers are they making? 

Imagine the Packers coming out and saying, "they are listening to trade offers for Aaron Rodgers."   Yeah right.

Imagining it does nothing to progress the thoughts. I don't see the relevance.

that's the difference.  The jets didn't laugh the Bucs out of the building.  They are interested. They are listening.  

If the Packers came out and say they are listening to trade offers and then didn't listen....wtf?  Apparently the Jets did laugh the Bucs out of the building because that rumor went as quickly as it came.

If you think Revis is the star of the Jets, you don't listen.

Wrong. There is zero reason not to listen given the Jets' current position. 

Again, not a true statement. There's plenty of time to extend him as he's still a Jet and under contract until next February or March. 

They haven't talked to him? 

Why not? It's a great way to build the perception that he's not vital and not worth it. Hell, it's working if I'm to go just by this board's reaction. What trade offers are they making? 

Imagining it does nothing to progress the thoughts. I don't see the relevance.

If the Packers came out and say they are listening to trade offers and then didn't listen....wtf?  Apparently the Jets did laugh the Bucs out of the building because that rumor went as quickly as it came.

Wrong. There is zero reason not to listen given the Jets' current position. 

You make no sense at all.

Yeah the Packers would listen to trade offers for Aaron Rodgers...    Just like the Patriots would listen to trade offers for Tom Brady.  Not.

Revis becomes a free agent next season, kind of means he's long gone from the Jets. Or he's asking Joe Flacco money from them.   Or he was no longer Revis and then who cares, nobody would want to pay him anyway.

If you want to keep a star player, you extend him before his contract is up.  If you don't care, then you trade him or wait till free agency and watch him walk. The Patriots didn't seem to care Welker walked.   

If Revis is Revis and beyond and has a good season,  he's no longer a Jet after the season.   Not unless he breaks the bank with them. And how does that help anybody?  The same way Joe Flacco helps the Ravens dump their entire roster? 

You also defeat your entire argument that Revis is a star player and worth the money.    If the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers,  people in Green Bay probably would burn the coach and GMs houses down.  They hated the fact Favre left years ago and he was old.  And they had Rodgers.    

If Revis is traded,  would anybody burn Idziks house down?   People might be upset, but if they got a 1 this year and a 4(possible higher) next year, some people would be happy with that.     Nobody in their right mind would think that trade for Rodgers made sense.   That's the difference between a QB and a CB.    

Yeah the Packers would listen to trade offers for Aaron Rodgers...    Just like the Patriots would listen to trade offers for Tom Brady.  Not.

Then why even bring it up and tell me to imagine it? 

If you want to keep a star player, you extend him before his contract is up.

Revis becomes a free agent next season

You make no sense at all.

If Revis is Revis and beyond and has a good season,  he's no longer a Jet after the season.   Not unless he breaks the bank with them. And how does that help anybody?  The same way Joe Flacco helps the Ravens dump their entire roster? 

Um, what? Who have the Ravens lost but old guys and role players? 

Revis tweeted that he hasn't spoken to the Jets, he was shocked, blah blah, he said the rumors come from the top.   And the Jets haven't exactly come back with "No Mr. Revis,  we are not trading you or entertaining the thought."   So when your star player Tweets that he's shocked and the team doesn't really reassure him,  that's all you really need to know.   No need for any reports. It came from Revis.

Like I said,  the jets just say they aren't searching for trades, but listening.      Imagine the Packers telling people they are listening to offers for Aaron Rodgers.    That's the difference.   The Jets haven't stood by Revis.   Rex tried to come to his defense, but everybody thinks Rex is on his way out and has nothing to say about anything.   The jets stay silent and the rumors spread and trade offers get thrown out like if it were a better offer, Revis would be in Tampa.    

Revis is a drama queen, I don't really care what he says. Just for the record the Jets denied the story that came out before Idzik even found his office in Florham Park.

Is Revis the superstar of the Jets? Yes. But he's not a QB. So that's why we're listening to offers. If he was, then we wouldn't listen at all.

If your point is that he shouldn't get paid as a QB does, then I agree. But I don't think he will. I don't think he's going to command that much.

IIRC, he is due a roster bonus on Saturday. They haven't moved him yet, so that ought to be an indication.

My take on this whole thing: they were doing this to see if they could get blown away by an offer. If they do, they'll take the deal. Otherwise, they'll look to extent.

Bingo!

Jets have gathered contract info from other teams the cornerback market is depressed the Jets can make a very competitive offer to

Revis.  There is a good chance he stays.

He is not going to sign a competitive deal , Revis wants to break the bank , the best thing for the Jets is to trade him , it better to get somthing or lt him play and get nothing.The QB gets the most money on every NFL team not the CB 

Archived