Welcome to Gang Green - Mike Goodson

NJ

I agree on the McKnight part.  Both these players have the same skill set including KO return, think they might take a RB later in the draft, but not in the first 4 rounds.

To many needs on this team.  Idzik must think he just filled one.  Jets can’t make many luxury signings, or draft picks

Goodson is nowhere near the kick returner McKnight is.  I had to look it up, but he averages around 22 per return and worse than Francies last year in Oakland and some other dude in Carolina in 2011.  At 22 yards you might as well take the touchback.  McKnight has been top 3 the last two years, over 30 in 2011 and over 27 last year.  Gates is statistically a better kick returner.  Goodson never returned punts and I don' t think he returned in college.  Are you guys confusing him with Goodman in San Diego? 

I think he was picked up to be a poor man's LeSean McCoy.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other point, besides the injury concerns, in  2010, his most productive season, he had 103 carries, and 40 Rec, he also had 6 fumbles. 

Besides the injuries that might be another reason he hasn’t had many touches since

Good point.  He has always had an issue with protecting the football.  He fumbled twice in his very first game as an Aggie, so it has been an issue from day one, and he has never fully addressed the problem.

He averaged 6.3 a carry last year. One out of every ten runs went for 20+ yards. He caught every one of sixteen targets and averaged 12 yards a catch,including one that went for 64 yards. On what evidence are you saying he sucks? The old eyeball test? He's ten times the player Bilal Powell is.

"Mustard's no good without roast beef."

Chico Marx

This guy got 6 pages? Congrats to him there, though I don't expect he fills the RB quota.

Shane has me optimistic on Barnes now.That's a nice little pickup for the Jets if it can happen. I assumed he would resign with the Chargers to open the offseason.

Reaction: Goodson, the anti-Greene

March, 15, 2013
Mar 15

12:13

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Quick thoughts on the Jets signing former Raiders RB Mike Goodson:

1. KEY ROLE: Based on the size of his contract (three years, $6.9 million), the Jets see Goodson as more than a spare part, which is what he was with the Panthers and Raiders. Let's face it, the Jets still don't have a true No. 1 back, so Goodson will compete for significant playing time. Now that Shonn Greene is gone, he'll probably split the lead role with Bilal Powell. Remember what new GM John Idzik preaches: Competition, competition, competition.

2. FINALLY, A SPEED BACK: Goodson, a former track athlete at Texas A&M, brings much-needed speed to the backfield. He was a 4.47 guy coming out of A&M in 2009. He flashed that speed on a 64-yard screen pass last season against the Dolphins, making the catch in the right flat and burning rubber up the right sideline for a touchdown. His career yards-per-carry is an impressive 4.5, albeit only 160 attempts. The Jets need that big-play dimension in the worst way. They had only one run longer than 36 yards last season. The player who delivered it -- Joe McKnight, 61 yards -- has Goodson-type speed, but he's an enigma because of his inconsistency. If I'm McKnight, I'm worried. Goodson can return kickoffs; he did a nice job for the Panthers in 2010.

3. HE CAN CATCH: The Jets are installing a West Coast system and they wanted to add a back that can catch the football. Goodson can do that. He has 59 career receptions, including 40 in 2010. He played only 170 snaps last season for the Raiders, primarily in a third-down role. Powell was the third-down back last season. Well, at least they have good depth in that role.

4. THE NEGATIVES: Goodson is the anti-Greene. He relies too much on his speed, popping runs out to the perimeter. He also has had a fumbling problem -- seven career fumbles in 219 career "touches." There's some question about his toughness between the tackles and there have been durability issues in his career. At A&M, he landed in the coach's doghouse because of character concerns. You always have to wonder why a player with this much raw talent rides the bench and gets traded. Goodson showed promise in 2010, rushing for 452 yards when DeAngelo Williams got hurt, yet he still got shipped out to Oakland.

5. SCOUTING REPORT: Spoke to an AFC scout about the Jets' signing of Goodson, and he felt they overpaid. His take: "He's a backup that can work in a contributing role. He has some size and speed, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, but he's an average blocker. His third-down value is as a pass catcher, not blocking or blitz pick-up. He's an average inside, between-the-tackles runner. He's not a power type, but he has some burst. His outside ability is better than his inside talent."

Goodson is nowhere near the kick returner McKnight is.  I had to look it up, but he averages around 22 per return and worse than Francies last year in Oakland and some other dude in Carolina in 2011.  At 22 yards you might as well take the touchback.  McKnight has been top 3 the last two years, over 30 in 2011 and over 27 last year.  Gates is statistically a better kick returner.  Goodson never returned punts and I don' t think he returned in college.  Are you guys confusing him with Goodman in San Diego? 

I think he was picked up to be a poor man's LeSean McCoy.

Brad Smith says Hi from Buffalo.

Wow, I really think we overpaid this guy.  In an off season where I completly support these second/third tier FA, 6.9 over 3 years is WAY too much for a guy like this.  To me, there's not enough difference between him and McKnight to even sign him.  When I heard we were looking at him I figured we'd give him a 1 year deal with little gauranteed, and possibly cut him or McKnight in TC when they are outplayed by a rookie.   To do this when we're losing Keller and DeVito for marginal contracts, and haven't even re-signed either starting guard is foolish. 

I think Goodson can contribute, but to me, you pay 2.3 mil a season to a 1000 yard back, and I don't see him doing that for us.

Wow, I really think we overpaid this guy.  In an off season where I completly support these second/third tier FA, 6.9 over 3 years is WAY too much for a guy like this.  To me, there's not enough difference between him and McKnight to even sign him.  When I heard we were looking at him I figured we'd give him a 1 year deal with little gauranteed, and possibly cut him or McKnight in TC when they are outplayed by a rookie.   To do this when we're losing Keller and DeVito for marginal contracts, and haven't even re-signed either starting guard is foolish. 

I think Goodson can contribute, but to me, you pay 2.3 mil a season to a 1000 yard back, and I don't see him doing that for us.

Does anyone know the guaranteed (signing bonus)? You don't know if we overpaid until you know that. How much does it cost us if we need to cut him after 1 year?

Does anyone know the guaranteed (signing bonus)? You don't know if we overpaid until you know that. How much does it cost us if we need to cut him after 1 year?

trying to find it but can't.  I want to be optimistic about Idzik, but spending about 3.5 million this year on Garrard and Goodson seems insane to me when we're letting Keller and Devito walk, and haven't closed the deal on either starting guard.  There's a ton of good RB's that will be around in the 3-5 round that would outplay Goodson as rookies, would have more upside, and would cost a fraction of his contract.  Not happy about this.

trying to find it but can't.  I want to be optimistic about Idzik, but spending about 3.5 million this year on Garrard and Goodson seems insane to me when we're letting Keller and Devito walk, and haven't closed the deal on either starting guard.  There's a ton of good RB's that will be around in the 3-5 round that would outplay Goodson as rookies, would have more upside, and would cost a fraction of his contract.  Not happy about this.

Yeah, As I’ve said several times in this thread, I’m really surprised at the money they have spent on a RB, who has been seldom used in 4 years.  He’s getting close to starter’s money

You can bet that Idzik was really high on this guy in the draft, but didn’t have the power to make the selection in Seattle.  Now he does.

This will be one of the early tests of his personnel skills.   If he’s right, and this guy  rushes for 4.5 ypc, and catches 50 balls, Idzik is a hero.

If not, the dark clouds start to gather.  As we speak Shane is putting his rain coat on

Goodson will become the Brian Westbrook of Marty's offense.

One would hope, but those are pretty lofty expectations for a guy who hasn't accomplished much at all.  I'd rather have McKnight in his role and draft a kid with potential to be a star.  Look at his numbers compared to McKnight (who sucks by the way) and tell me he's worth more than 800K a season.  PS McKnight averages over 29 yards per return- goodson is under 22.  This is absurd to me.

First of all, you sound so sure and there's no way you can be. None of them have played a down in the NFL. Second, if you're talking about a third rounder, don't you have to factor in the guy that we get in the 3rd round+ Goodson?

First of all, you sound so sure and there's no way you can be. None of them have played a down in the NFL. Second, if you're talking about a third rounder, don't you have to factor in the guy that we get in the 3rd round+ Goodson?

I can be fairly sure that a guy like Monte Ball, LeVeon Bell, Andre Ellington, Christine Michael etc has a floor about where goodson has played so far, and has the upside of a 1500 yard back. Goodsons best year was 103 carries, 452 yards, 4.4ypc 3 td 4 fumbles and another 310 yards receiving.  He hasn't had another year anywhere close to that by the way, and he's had several injuries to boot.  I just don't see signing a guy with this production for 6.9 million.

I can be fairly sure that a guy like Monte Ball, LeVeon Bell, Andre Ellington, Christine Michael etc has a floor about where goodson has played so far, and has the upside of a 1500 yard back. Goodsons best year was 103 carries, 452 yards, 4.4ypc 3 td 4 fumbles and another 310 yards receiving.  He hasn't had another year anywhere close to that by the way, and he's had several injuries to boot.  I just don't see signing a guy with this production for 6.9 million.

You're right. Idzik's an idiot. Although you still haven't addressed who we get in the 3rd instead of using that pick on a RB.

BTW Ball and Bell are going in the 2nd and Christine Michael's floor is nowhere NEAR 4.5 a carry and 50-60 catches.

It's amazing that people are so upset at signing a guy that averages 4.5 a carry over his career, has 4.4 speed and catches 90 percent of the passes thrown his way. For TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! AHHHHHHH!!! WE GET TO DRAFT ANOTHER POSITION EARLY AHHHHHHH!!!!! YOU MEAN WE'RE NOT WINNING THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR AHHHHHHH!!!!! OWEN MEANEY DIES AT THE END? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It's amazing that people are so upset at signing a guy that averages 4.5 a carry over his career, has 4.4 speed and catches 90 percent of the passes thrown his way. For TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! AHHHHHHH!!! WE GET TO DRAFT ANOTHER POSITION EARLY AHHHHHHH!!!!! YOU MEAN WE'RE NOT WINNING THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR AHHHHHHH!!!!! OWEN MEANEY DIES AT THE END? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I see you're one of those guys.  Is anyone screaming and yelling other than you?  No.  As for who we pick in the 3-5 round instead of a RB- I don't know, any one of the several holes we have, which still includes RB.  I still think we should get a RB because nobody in this bunch is more than a JAG.  You're talking about his 4.5 a carry-- well that's what McKnight averages too.  I think my argument for why this isn't a great signing goes a little deeper than just crying about not winning the SB.  You are also poo pooing his "2 million dollars"  When we have this many holes, and are letting our own FA sign marginal contracts elseware, a 3 year 6.9 million dollar deal to a JAG is a much bigger deal that you make it out to be.  And you act like you have some deep insight into the draft where Bell and Ball are certainly going to be gone in the 2nd.  There's a ton of backs out there and I highly doubt they are gone in the 2nd.  If they are, then there's 10 more talented backs that will be there in the 3-5th like I said.

You want to be a homer and just assume all moves are great, that's fine.  There are some of us who don't blindly support every move that our GM makes.

I see you're one of those guys.  Is anyone screaming and yelling other than you?  No.  As for who we pick in the 3-5 round instead of a RB- I don't know, any one of the several holes we have, which still includes RB.  I still think we should get a RB because nobody in this bunch is more than a JAG.  You're talking about his 4.5 a carry-- well that's what McKnight averages too.  I think my argument for why this isn't a great signing goes a little deeper than just crying about not winning the SB.  You are also poo pooing his "2 million dollars"  When we have this many holes, and are letting our own FA sign marginal contracts elseware, a 3 year 6.9 million dollar deal to a JAG is a much bigger deal that you make it out to be.  And you act like you have some deep insight into the draft where Bell and Ball are certainly going to be gone in the 2nd.  There's a ton of backs out there and I highly doubt they are gone in the 2nd.  If they are, then there's 10 more talented backs that will be there in the 3-5th like I said.

You want to be a homer and just assume all moves are great, that's fine.  There are some of us who don't blindly support every move that our GM makes.

No, I just think that you don't have any clue about what you are talking about in relation to what Idzik knows. None. But yet you're so sure. You're one of those guys.

Maybe Idzik has never heard of Joe McKnight, don't you think that's possible?

Do you have a job?

No, I just think that you don't have any clue about what you are talking about in relation to what Idzik knows. None. But yet you're so sure. You're one of those guys.

What about the fantastic career of Mike Goodson shows you that he's deserving of 6.9 million over 3 years?  If we signed him at 3 million, I wouldn't mind.  4 Million and I'd be meh about it.  6.9???  For a team that has about 17 million to sign/draft a RB, 2 starting guards, at least 2 starting LB's, 2 starting Safteys, 1-2 rotational D Linemen, a starting TE, 1-2 rotational CB's and a starting kicker, and will possibly lose another 3 million in cap space do to the revis trade- YES I am upset about spending that money on Mike Goodson.

What about the fantastic career of Mike Goodson shows you that he's deserving of 6.9 million over 3 years?  If we signed him at 3 million, I wouldn't mind.  4 Million and I'd be meh about it.  6.9???  

this number isn't real. Conner Barwin supposedly signed for 6 years 36 million that number isn't real either. all that matters is the guarantees. 

What about the fantastic career of Mike Goodson shows you that he's deserving of 6.9 million over 3 years?  If we signed him at 3 million, I wouldn't mind.  4 Million and I'd be meh about it.  6.9???  For a team that has about 17 million to sign/draft a RB, 2 starting guards, at least 2 starting LB's, 2 starting Safteys, 1-2 rotational D Linemen, a starting TE, 1-2 rotational CB's and a starting kicker, and will possibly lose another 3 million in cap space do to the revis trade- YES I am upset about spending that money on Mike Goodson.

He's not getting seven million. It's not guaranteed. Second, maybe you should try to see why Idzik, working ten twelve hours a day every day with all of these issues that you can see from your house, WOULD  make this move? Try to answer that question first and maybe you will get true insight into the situation instead of just listing details.

25 year old, low milage, can catch and run and cost us 2.3mill per for 3 years (6.9m total) I'm liking it. Lets see how he does but it may fend us from Drafting a Running back this year.

Our needs are :-

Q.B (not getting fixed this year)

Oline

OLB

T.E

S.

W.R

I'm sure a missed some but yeah know.

25 year old, low milage, can catch and run and cost us 2.3mill over 3 years. I'm liking it. Lets see how he does but it may fend us from Drafting a Running back this year.

Our needs are :-

Q.B (not getting fixed this year)

Oline

OLB

T.E

S.

W.R

I'm sure a missed some but yeah know.

It's okay, we can get a 1500 yard back in the 5th round, haven't you heard?

He's not getting seven million. It's not guaranteed. Second, maybe you should try to see why Idzik, working ten twelve hours a day every day with all of these issues that you can see from your house, would make this move? Try to answer that question first and maybe you will get true insight into the situation instead of just listing details.

Well, with that philosophy, why don't we all just ignore the off season and find out what moves the team made week one, and just agree with them because our GM knows more than us.  What is the "True insight" that you have that I am missing?  I have my opinion about the move, and it's not just frivolous, it's thought out.  I'm not looking at one aspect of this, and saying- 6.9 million for a backup is too much, so it's a bad signing.  I gave enough reasons to support my beliefs.  If you like the signing, than that's just splended.  I would rather think about what else we could have done with our limited resources- like sign Dustin Keller, who walked for a sh*tty one year deal to our rival.  And for the record- I know how NFL contracts work.  Unless this deal is for 1 million gauranteed, and has a third year salary of 5 million, I don't like it.  And yes, I have a job.

+1.  

3 years $6.9M is $2.3M/year if he plays out all 3 years.  Let's see first if year 3 isn't for $3.5M before we start tallying up what his actual cost is.  

That's the key.     I wish some one would post the actual contract.

like this signing. they need speed and explosion and this guy provides it at a reasonable price (im also waiting for the "real" numbers but this isn't a huge money deal.)

I agree

The real question is, can he play CB like McKnight?

Jets will need a CB next week

What you are saying about the 3rd rounder + goodson is exactly what I'm talking about with the 6.9 million that goodson is taking from our cap.  So the fair argument is 3rd round + mike goodson - roughly 2.3 million dollars vs 3rd round RB + Say Matt Slauson who we could have signed with that 2.3 million - the draft pick.  I don't understand why you are being such a hard on about this, but it's fine.  You are not really putting together a very good argument either way.  And yes, running backs with 1500 yard potential can be found in the 3-5th round of the draft- especially this one.  Oh, and I like how my 3-5 round RB selection is a 3rd when you want it to be, and a 5th when you want it to be to support your lousy argument. 

What you are saying about the 3rd rounder + goodson is exactly what I'm talking about with the 6.9 million that goodson is taking from our cap.  So the fair argument is 3rd round + mike goodson - roughly 2.3 million dollars vs 3rd round RB + Say Matt Slauson who we could have signed with that 2.3 million - the draft pick.  I don't understand why you are being such a hard on about this, but it's fine.  You are not really putting together a very good argument either way.  And yes, running backs with 1500 yard potential can be found in the 3-5th round of the draft- especially this one.  Oh, and I like how my 3-5 round RB selection is a 3rd when you want it to be, and a 5th when you want it to be to support your lousy argument. 

My point is that I have no idea whether this is a good move or not, I'm not sure, but I think Goodson will be a good addition, he's only had two games in which he's received 15+ carries in his career and has went over 100 in both of them, and he's a great receiver for our WCO, so I'm optimistic and am sure that Idzik, who's very livelihood is on the line has thought it out more than you have. Yet you on the other hand, are positive it sucks.

I do like men and thats why I'm so sensitive. The NFL has done a great job of marketing the sport toward my kind.  Maybe you'll understand moving forward. 

Well if thats the case then  you should not mind a little piling on.

Archived