Welcome to Gang Green - Mike Goodson

NJ

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the roto-blurb from Adam Schefter.  I highlighted some stuff for ya JiF. 

Jets signed RB Mike Goodson, formerly of the Raiders, to a three-year, $6.9 million contract.

Goodson has spent his entire four-year career buried on depth charts. He started off behind DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart in Carolina and then spent last year caddying for Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece with the Raiders. But as evidenced by Goodson's career 4.51 YPC average, he has some burst at 6'0/210. With the Jets, he'll be battling Bilal Powell and possibly a draft pick to be the top dog in a committee. Goodson can also help passing game (40 catches in 2010) and return kicks. It's a rare inexpensive, quality addition for the Jets -- who reportedly believed he was one of free agency's biggest sleepers.

Jets signed RB Mike Goodson, formerly of the Raiders, to a three-year, $6.9 million contract.

Goodson has spent his entire four-year career buried on depth charts. He started off behind DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart in Carolina and then spent last year caddying for Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece with the Raiders. But as evidenced by Goodson's career 4.51 YPC average, he has some burst at 6'0/210. With the Jets, he'll be battling Bilal Powell and possibly a draft pick to be the top dog in a committee. Goodson can also help passing game (40 catches in 2010) and return kicks. It's a rare inexpensive, quality addition for the Jets -- who reportedly believed he was one of free agency's biggest sleepers.

Thanks for posting.  

Will a Mike Goodson signing actually threaten the future of the NYJ? Will this be a decision that derails plans if it does not work out?

Relax. Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Look forward to the Rex entourage final tour through the league.

His swan song.  At least I get the entire season to prepare for his inevitable departure. 

Will a Mike Goodson signing actually threaten the future of the NYJ? Will this be a decision that derails plans if it does not work out?

Relax. Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Look forward to the Rex entourage final tour through the league.

The Jets may fire him, but this is far from his final time through the league.

Guy had a good year in 2010.   103 carries at 4.3 per. 3TD's  Know he was hurt like 6 games last year. 

Have to assume Rotoworld is right that the Jets scouted him hard and think he is a major sleeper.  This doesn't bode well for McKnight  

McKnight: Signed a four-year, $2.291 million contract. The deal included a $501,000 signing bonus. 2013: $630,000, 2014: Free Agent

Powell: Signed a four-year, $2.44 million contract. The deal included a $400,500 signing bonus. 2013: $555,000, 2014: $645,000, 2015: Free Agent

Goodson: Signed a three-year, $6.9 million contract. 2016: Free Agent 

Are we set at RB for the next couple of years? Clearly not. Idzik has no ties to Mcknight/Powell, so I could see RB addressed in the draft. Or is that wishful thinking...? not sure. 

So little fight from you. I am actually a little verklempt.

Ya know, I've been getting bitch slapped a lot around here lately.  We've got a lot of knowledgeable posters that I greatly benefit from having around.  I'm learning a lot and coming to grips with stuff thats very hard for me to deal with.

Thanks!

Just checked, Powell, and McKnight combined salary is $1,185,000  Goodson’s salary is $2,300,000.

That looks to me, in this tight cap situation, the Jets are planning on starting this guy in the WCO. 

It also cuts back on the possible chance of the Jets taking a RB in the first half of the draft.

I’m surprised

I guess that's possible.  But remember what San Fran did last year.  They had Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, and Anthony Dixon on roster, then signed Brandon Jacobs and drafted LeMichael James.  By the end of the year they had to play the rookie in the Super Bowl because of injuries.  

I'm not saying we're going to replicate their formula for success, because they ran more of a pistol meets read-option with sprinkles of G&P.  But, it would be silly to think that Idzik, and all of Seattle didn't take notice that's it's important to stock up.  

James was drafted in the late 2nd round, not out of need...but because he was a stud in college.  I hope we follow that formula. 

also,

Bilal Powell = 4th round pick (2011)

Joe McKnight = 4th round pick (2010)

Mike Goodson = 4th round pick (2009)

Maybe getting a RB in a higher round will bode better odds of landing a true stud, instead of having to unearth a hidden gem.  ???

2013 Top 20 RB's in draft 

1. Eddie Lacy Alabama 6-0 220 4.55   2. Montee Ball Wisconsin 5-11 215 4.55   3. Giovani Bernard North Carolina 5-10 205 4.55   4. Le'Veon Bell Michigan St. 6-2 244 4.60   5. Andre Ellington Clemson 5-10 195 4.45   6. Johnathan Franklin UCLA 5-11 195 4.55   7. Stepfan Taylor Stanford 5-11 215 4.60   8. Joseph Randle Oklahoma St. 6-1 200 4.50   9. Christine Michael Texas A&M 5-11 220 4.55 10. Mike Gillislee Florida 5-11 209 4.50 11. Jawan Jamison Rutgers 5-8 200 4.50 12. Marcus Lattimore South Carolina 6-0 218 4.60 13. Kenjon Barner Oregon 5-11 192 4.50 14. Cierre Wood Notre Dame 6-0 215 4.50 15. Knile Davis Arkansas 6-0 226 4.50 16. Spencer Ware L.S.U. 5-11 225 4.60 17. Kerwynn Williams Utah St. 5-8 189 4.45 18. Ray Graham Pittsburgh 5-9 190 4.55 19. Onterio McCalebb Auburn 5-11 173 4.40 20. Theo Riddick Notre Dame 5-11 200 4.55

Hopefully, we snag one of them. 10-20 range has some good football players 

Ya know, I've been getting bitch slapped a lot around here lately.  We've got a lot of knowledgeable posters that I greatly benefit from having around.  I'm learning a lot and coming to grips with stuff thats very hard for me to deal with.

Thanks!

At the end of the day, this is a place where we come to be happy. Don't let it get to you. You emote that you are decent guy (I am guessing gay?). 

Sorry for any piling on I caused.

Low cost, dynamic player, lots of upside? I guess this is what you get when you have a GM that can be both a "personnel guy" and a "cap guy". 

It's going to be fun watching the dumb dumbs scramble without the typical polarization they rely on to perpetuate their middle school debate club agenda.

At the end of the day, this is a place where we come to be happy. Don't let it get to you. You emote that you are decent guy (I am guessing gay?). 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!! 

effin JIF

I do like men and thats why I'm so sensitive. The NFL has done a great job of marketing the sport toward my kind.  Maybe you'll understand moving forward. 

I guess that's possible.  But remember what San Fran did last year.  They had Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, and Anthony Dixon on roster, then signed Brandon Jacobs and drafted LeMichael James.  By the end of the year they had to play the rookie in the Super Bowl because of injuries.  

I'm not saying we're going to replicate their formula for success, because they ran more of a pistol meets read-option with sprinkles of G&P.  But, it would be silly to think that Idzik, and all of Seattle didn't take notice that's it's important to stock up.  

James was drafted in the late 2nd round, not out of need...but because he was a stud in college.  I hope we follow that formula. 

also,

Maybe getting a RB in a higher round will bode better odds of landing a true stud, instead of having to unearth a hidden gem.  ???

Fair points, I'd add that Seattle had their own G&P thing going on up there... Marshawn is no slouch, and when he's done, Robert Turbin is going to impress. 

also,

Point well taken, but we are in a much different situation then the 9er’s were last year.  I can’t eliminate the possibility of the Jets taking a RB, I will just be very surprised if they go early in the draft.

In the Jets situation when you pay a RB 2.3 million a year, your expecting a lot of production.  I really don’t know much about him except what I am reading now, so I can’t make a judgment if it is a good or bad signing

One thing I will say is it brings a lot of speed to the RB position.  Guy ran a 4.34 4.46, at the combine, and a 4.43 at his pro day 

Guy had a good year in 2010.   103 carries at 4.3 per. 3TD's  Know he was hurt like 6 games last year. 

Have to assume Rotoworld is right that the Jets scouted him hard and think he is a major sleeper.  This doesn't bode well for McKnight  

I disagree. 

I think McKnight will fit the WCO just fine...and at his going ticket price, we'd be foolish to let him hit the street.

T0m said he had difficulties learning the playbook but I didn't know anything about that.  I just remember a wet-behind-the ears kid who came to TC unable to run w/o puking, trying to compete for a job on a Ground & Pound team that featured Shonn Greene and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Last year was his first year to take command of third-down duties, but it was in a funky Sparano offense.

I think McKnight resembles LeSean McCoy better than anyone else currently on roster.   

Fair points, I'd add that Seattle had their own G&P thing going on up there... Marshawn is no slouch, and when he's done, Robert Turbin is going to impress. 

I really like Turbin.  When Marshawn hangs em up or goes into a skittle coma, Turbin will step in and there will be no fall off.  He's that good.  We courted him, and sent him love notes last off season...but waited too long to pull the trigger.

I think this probably means we don't go running back early, which is fine. We can draft another position of need early like one of the top TE's and roll the dice with Goodson or whoever wins the TC battle. We can always draft a top back next year, every class seems to have them and they don't take three years to develop, either. I'm happy with this move.

I like it.  Fairly cheap signing, brings competition in at the RB position and keeps them for reaching at RB in the draft based on need.  They are still certainly in a position that they can grab someone if they like them, but won't necessarily feel like they have to get someone who's a day-1 starter.  Between Powell and Goodson you have two solid guys with potential that the Jets could get by with, and you'll probably see them share the load quite a bit regardless of who's starting, with McKnight probably being used more flexibly in Mornhinweg's system.

They paid him a lot more then I thought they would.  A lot more

Yeah ... that's a lot more than I though they would shell out. Good news is if he pans out like I think he could - they get him for 3 at that price. 

Yeah ... that's a lot more than I though they would shell out. Good news is if he pans out like I think he could - they get him for 3 at that price. 

I’m not cursing the move.  I don’t know enough about the guy to do that

It tells me that they are really high on him, and expect him to step up and get a lot of touches.

And your right, if Idzik is right, it’s a cheap signing.

When I read he was coming in I was thinking  young vets min.  Like I said Idzik must be very high on him

The Jets clearly don't view McKnight as a viable option at RB as evidenced by his carries from scrimmage over the last two years (except for one game), so I think you can cast it in stone that we will be drafting a RB, too.

I agree on the McKnight part.  Both these players have the same skill set including KO return, think they might take a RB later in the draft, but not in the first 4 rounds.

To many needs on this team.  Idzik must think he just filled one.  Jets can’t make many luxury signings, or draft picks

Goodson is a great athlete with nice hands.  Biggest question will be durability and pass protection.  I watched his entire collegiate career at A&M.  He was a bright spot in a very dark world back then.  He flashed in limited opportunities at Carolina behind two proven backs, and he did everything asked of him as a Raider.  Again, he is somewhat injury prone and I am not sure he would hold up as 20-30 carries a game guy.  That said, he is a nice addition on the cheap, and he should fit the new offensive scheme well.

Gig'em!

Goodson is a great athlete with nice hands.  Biggest question will be durability and pass protection.  I watched his entire collegiate career at A&M.  He was a bright spot in a very dark world back then.  He flashed in limited opportunities at Carolina behind two proven backs, and he did everything asked of him as a Raider.  Again, he is somewhat injury prone and I am not sure he would hold up as 20-30 carries a game guy.  That said, he is a nice addition on the cheap, and he should fit the new offensive scheme well.

Gig'em!

One other point, besides the injury concerns, in  2010, his most productive season, he had 103 carries, and 40 Rec, he also had 6 fumbles. 

Besides the injuries that might be another reason he hasn’t had many touches since

Archived